12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: 12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

Post by wobycat »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:10 pm Great win by the Pirates! Waverly battled back and got it to within Three and then Holden took over. There is no way he shouldn’t average around 30-35 a game. There is no team here locally that can stop him especially once he gets the ball in the paint. Justin Salyers hit some big shots when Waverly cut it close.

Was by far the ugliest Burg basketball game I’ve ever watched. Burg players talk after every foul. They question every call. That needs to stop! It’s embarrassing to sit there and watch that. Both technicals were well deserved. If they call a foul on you, accept it and walk away. Waverly had some players talking as well and one of them deservedly got t’d up for it. Not sure what the coach said to get his.

Heard two guys from Waverly say as I was leaving, “wait until they come to our place.” It will be ugly I can bet you that.
Well shame on those dudes walking out. It’s just a freaking game. Kids watch Lebrun, etc on tv and just minimick what they see but they’re kids. Geesh. It’s not just burg running their mouth, it seems to be happening everywhere. So ohsaa needs to have a point of emphasis to fix it. I sat on visiting side again and the tiger fans were no different. If we want to eliminate this type of atmosphere, then we need to respect official decisions, and behave ourselves in the stands.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ukfanatic wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:19 pm Ugly basketball game. Was very very mpressed withHolden tonight, other than his attitude. Instead of floating around the perimeter he went inside and posted up all night. If wheelersburg plays him that way all year they will be tough to beat. I agree he should get 30 every night. That was not a seventeen point game. Waverly had it cut to 3 when the refs completely lost control. In no way shape or form am I saying the refs cost Waverly the game. They were horrible both ways. The father son combo should not be assigned varsity boys games. The game is way to fast for the,. They should stick with varsity girls,
Yeah, I’ve been to a few games this year where some of the officials were either too old or too overweight to get into proper position to make the call. Definitely shouldn’t be assigned varsity games, especially if you know it’s gonna be a track meet. I know the refs are doing the best they can and u can’t blame them for taking the games but it’s just what you get in high school. That being said I haven’t been to a game this year where I felt bad officiating changed the outcome of a game. Been decent so far

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

FOUTH QUARTER

7:33 53-50 Shanks bucket
6:54 Truitt bucket 55-50
6:32 offensive foul call on Shoemaker (his third - would lead to the technical fiasco later)

55-52 5:52 Wolfe basket
58-52 5:39 three ball didn’t see who

5:31 foul on Holden
Wolfe miss front

58-54 4:30 Shanks bucket

4:16 foul call on Shoemaker (4th) and a quick tT on Shoemaker for his 5th. Coach Robertson defending his player on the terrible foul call and anyone who knows Robertson he will defend them even if it means getting T’d which he did.

Now is where the comedy act takes place. The personal foul on Shoemaker was team number 6. The T on Shoemaker was team number 7 and the T on Coach was team # 8.
They gave Salyers the 1 and 1 and then 2 each for the two T’s. Even though they kept being told the personal foul was team 6 he got 6 shot.

Salyers 3-6
61-54

3:49 #14 bucket 63-54

3:40 foul on Salyers
Cody Remington to the line 1-2
63-55

3:14 foul on Dunn
Truitt 2-2 65-55

2:42 Holden 67-55

2:06 69-55

1:41 71-55

1:00 Robertson at line after Holden smacked him in the head in a breakaway.
2-2 71-57

.50 Holden dunk
73-57

.41 Holden to line missed both
Bucket after rebound 75-57

75-57 final

Tigers fought back from 15 down to cut it to 3 and 4 when the T’s were lit up and awarded 6 shots. Justice did prevail somewhat as he only made 3 of 6.
That Increased the Pirate lead from 4 to 7. Tigers were still in it but Holden took over.

1. The only thing I’ll say about the officiating is I really don’t care if I see them officiate another game this year.
2. Wheelersburg is good but they don’t need the constant “taunting”. Maybe it’s not being caught or called right now but good officials will not put up with that garbage. Just play ball and quit the nonsense....

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

In the past couple years at times, I didn't think that Holden was the best at shooting the ball from the outside or even shooting his free throws. He could always get to the basket anytime he chose to do so. I also agree about posting him up, as I don't think there is anyone player in the SOC-2 that can stop him. It just seemed to me that ever since the game last year against Harvest Prep at the Convo, that he has just become a better all around player and can pretty much take over the game against most all of the teams in SEO. I also said earlier that I don't think that any team in the SOC-2 can beat Burg this year.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Another good win by The Pirates.

Looks like The Soc Championship will run through Wheelersburg this year.

Waverly with 2 losses.

South Webster with 2 losses.

Oak Hill loses big to Burg in Jackson County and still has to play both the Jeeps and Waverly twice.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

2. Wheelersburg is good but they don’t need the constant “taunting”. Maybe it’s not being caught or called right now but good officials will not put up with that garbage. Just play ball and quit the nonsense....
??? Did you miss the technicals called against Wheelersburg? I agree that the talking needs to stop but I would say so for both teams...seen a few Tiger gums bumping as well. Not justifying the Pirate talking but the Oak Hill game, the talk went both ways...Northwest game, neither team talked any trash...Waverly game, both teams talking. I wasn't able to attend the Ironton game so I can't speak on it.

WHSgrad2000
Riding the Bench

Post by WHSgrad2000 »

I don't know what one of the Burg kids said to the ref to get a T. The other happened right in front of me and yes the kid was upset about, but I've seen more not be called when the refs aren't trying to be the stars of the show. The Waverly kid who got a T mouthed something IDK what he said or if he even said it out loud. I don't like the kids talking anymore than most people on here but the refs need to ref not try to steal the show.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

So sounds like T's both ways.

It seems as if the Burg faithful are saying they deserved their technicals.

It seems as if the Waverly faithful are not happy with their technicals.

It seems as if both teams are unhappy with the officiating crew.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BBALL99 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:53 am So sounds like T's both ways.

It seems as if the Burg faithful are saying they deserved their technicals.

It seems as if the Waverly faithful are not happy with their technicals.

It seems as if both teams are unhappy with the officiating crew.
Waverly technicals were appropriate just not needed had they controlled the game better. In defense of the father son combo, the other guy looked as if he was asleep. The only thing that bothered me was waverly was still in game after technical fiasco but the coach for the Tigers pouted and quit coaching.

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

look I’m the biggest burg homer there is but some of u guys are seeing through rose colored glasses. Early in the game Holden Was talking after every play to Waverly kids. If he scored he said something to a kid if he got a block he said something, if Waverly kid was physical with him he said something. I told my buddy in the stands that if this keeps up i have a feeling someone on Waverly is gonna do something stupid to retaliate and then this game will be outta control, and what do u know by the end of the game the refs couldn’t control it.

while it was bad for the Waverly parent to say i do agree that it could get very ugly in Waverly if our kids keep talking like that then I’m afraid someone on another team is gonna snap and a fight or something stupid might happen

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

burgpirater wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:07 am look I’m the biggest burg homer there is but some of u guys are seeing through rose colored glasses. Early in the game Holden Was talking after every play to Waverly kids. If he scored he said something to a kid if he got a block he said something, if Waverly kid was physical with him he said something. I told my buddy in the stands that if this keeps up i have a feeling someone on Waverly is gonna do something stupid to retaliate and then this game will be outta control, and what do u know by the end of the game the refs couldn’t control it.

while it was bad for the Waverly parent to say i do agree that it could get very ugly in Waverly if our kids keep talking like that then I’m afraid someone on another team is gonna snap and a fight or something stupid might happen
Holden is the king of the trash talk but if you think that burg is the only one doing it, you’re not paying attention. Again this seems epidemic and probably should be addressed by ohsaa point of emphasis. I’m sure it’s hard for refs to discern emotion with taunting. A kid could just be celebrating and not be taunting and end up with a technical. I don’t know what the solution is.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

burgpirater wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:07 am look I’m the biggest burg homer there is but some of u guys are seeing through rose colored glasses. Early in the game Holden Was talking after every play to Waverly kids. If he scored he said something to a kid if he got a block he said something, if Waverly kid was physical with him he said something. I told my buddy in the stands that if this keeps up i have a feeling someone on Waverly is gonna do something stupid to retaliate and then this game will be outta control, and what do u know by the end of the game the refs couldn’t control it.

A Pirate fan who sees it. Not just “talking” “mouthing” but the “taunting”. NO PLACE FOR IT... and that officiating crew allowed it!

BurgBaskets
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBaskets »

I wish that all the players were Mic'd up so we can hear what's being said on every play. Tons of talking last night on both sides, and tons of pushing rough on both sides, but referees were pretty poor both ways and lost control. It was only a 5 point game i believe when Waverly coach lost his mind and got T'd up.

My favorite part was when Santa was walking his reindeer under the Waverly basket during a free throw. Another favorite part was when a couple Waverly women were losing their mind screaming on every play. Glad they weren't Mic'd up.

GO BURG!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Well the constant theme taken away from each Burg game has been the players and their taunting or trash talking with other teams players. I give you props for calling Burg players out on it, let's be honest we're so early in the season the Burg players are acting this way. Because these teams they've played so far seem to not have the problems with technical fouls and jawing until they get to playing Burg. For certain fans to sit here and say well it's both teams, heck yeah it's going to be both teams there comes a point when a player is only going to take so much jawing from an opposing player before he says something back or retaliates. So please stop with the crap of "oh it's both teams" that simply doesn't fly when these teams who have played other games up until now haven't been T'd up and all of a sudden there's a jawing problem when they play a team that wants to jaw and complain after every call like Burg does. I mean I get it, no one ever fouls, travels or has the ball tip out of bounds on them, I watched a youth game the other night where the players were giving eye rolls throwing their hands up when they had calls on them. They'd look over at the coach and he'd tell them exactly what they did and that it was a foul and move on.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

It's funny to see people say it's an epidemic. I've been to a few games this year and I haven't seen it that way.

Again, does the coach take the players out when they get a technical? Any discipline happen at practice for a T. If not, then it is going to happen all year

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

the biggest reason im worried about it is honestly im afraid a kid from another team is going to completely lose his cool then a fights going to break out. We are the clear favorites for SOC 2 everyone knows that. Want to know how we lose the SOC? By kids getting suspended for getting into a fight or something along those lines and I feel like that day is coming if we keep jawing.

wobycat trust me I know the other team was talking by the end of it but that wasnt the case in the first quarter. I dont know how to find the film online but if you can find it rewatch the first quarter, I thought Holden was going out of his way to taunt the waverly kids every possession. Like stated above eventually a kid is going to say something back, any man would. But what im afraid of is eventually a kid will be so upset that they're losing and being taunted and might end up throwing a punch or something.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I have called 26 games and 4 scrimmages so far this season.

We have had 2 total technicals.

I am aware of 8 being called in 3 Wheelersburg games.

It is not an epidemic.

Pirate84
Waterboy

Post by Pirate84 »

Had a bird's eye view of this one. So it was the refs that lost control of game? Laughable. Where's the blame for the coaches on this one. Players reacting to calls on both sides, almost every call. Fouls were called equally all night on both sides. 1st half foul Tot: 8/8 Second Half: 10/9. Included in this total was 4 T's which were 2/2. Players did get taken out after T's but what could Waverly coach think was gonna happen to him as he stormed the court was being held back by 3 assistants screaming & pointing at a ref. I can't believe he didn't get ejected!! T's can be huge momentum swings, Burg got 2 ( rightfully so) & game swung from 15 pt lead to back under 5. Coach losing his cool in a 4pt gm isn't Refs fault. Watched these refs many times & am sure I'll see them many more especially come tourney time. Quit complaining about officiating, start complaining about the state of the game where is is acceptable in communities to act like "NBA" players & coaches in the HS setting. Everyone needs to "own it" that this is not acceptable & hope that sportsmanship makes a swift return HS athletics

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:37 am

Holden is the king of the trash talk but if you think that burg is the only one doing it, you’re not paying attention. Again this seems epidemic and probably should be addressed by ohsaa point of emphasis. I’m sure it’s hard for refs to discern emotion with taunting. A kid could just be celebrating and not be taunting and end up with a technical. I don’t know what the solution is.
It's not just the trash talking that going on. It's the hovering over a kid while he's on the ground. Or in his face after you just made a bucket while holding the ball so Waverly couldn't get out and run. Which happened way to much before the ref's finally said something. Burg knew that if Waverly couldn't get out an push the ball, that they could control the game in the half court. Unfortunately jawing is part of the game, but the taunting isn't, and Burg players simply did too much taunting after each bucket or big play in the face a Waverly players. And that is why Salyers got is T. The other "T" for Burg was them holding the ball after it came through the basket to slow Waverly down.
Waverly's "T", Peyton's head got banged off the floor while on the ground going for a loose ball, Burg kid dove for the ball landed on Peyton's head and then Peyton got call for the foul, he didn't say anything loud and looked like he was checking his mouth or head for blood and then BAM!!! a "T". Travis got loud and wanted to know why Peyton got the foul call then the "T", and that's when Travis got his "T", then they let Salyers shoot 2 instead of 1-1. Then the 4 for the "T's". The ref's blew this one.
If memory serves me right we had that same (crew) and old man ref 2 years ago and he was horrible then and couldn't keep up.
Burg is a great team and will win the SOC2, I thought that Blevins was the best player in the league after watching his game get much better from last. But man o' man. HOLDEN is a beast, and is the best player in the league. Blevins 2nd best.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

3 highly competitive rivalry games in the matter of one week. There was chatter before both Oak Hill and Waverly games. Both teams have history from last year. The competitiveness and the jawing from the players was fueled by the atmosphere with both fan bases jawing as well. To blame only Burg and not any other team for not being perfect (in terms of technicals and trash talk) in 3 rivalry games, in that kind of atmosphere, is illogical. Haters gonna hate! GO BURG

Return to “Boys Basketball”