Case Book Basketball 101

baseball16
All State

Case Book Basketball 101

Post by baseball16 »

I'm going to share some situations with this forum: Give me your ruling and I will give the correct ruling from the case book the next day.

Scorer's mistake:

The official scorer mistakenly credits a field goal by team A to team B in the 2nd qtr. The Regulation game ends with the score tied. During a timeout in overtime , the scorer detects their mistake and advises the Referee. What's the rule?

TIGER#27
JV Team

Re: Case Book Basketball 101

Post by TIGER#27 »

baseball16 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 am I'm going to share some situations with this forum: Give me your ruling and I will give the correct ruling from the case book the next day.

Scorer's mistake:

The official scorer mistakenly credits a field goal by team A to team B in the 2nd qtr. The Regulation game ends with the score tied. During a timeout in overtime , the scorer detects their mistake and advises the Referee. What's the rule?
I'm going to say it needs to be correct immediately or the next possession or the game goes on.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

I say the score is corrected but the OT must continue since it already started.

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 am I'm going to share some situations with this forum: Give me your ruling and I will give the correct ruling from the case book the next day.

Scorer's mistake:

THREE SECONDS!!!!

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Scorer's mistake:

THREE SECONDS!!!!

IRONMAN92: CLOSE! LOL

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

RULING: The Referee will have the mistake corrected. The overtime will continue with the new corrected score. Once the ball becomes live in the overtime, the overtime will be played even though subsequent correction of an error or mistake changes the score. A bookkeeping mistake can be corrected at any time until the final score is approved.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Backcourt or Frontcourt

As team A is advancing the ball from its backcourt toward the frontcourt, A1 passes the ball to A2. A2 catches the ball while both feet are on the floor- with one foot on either side of the division line. in this situation either foot can become a pivot foot. a) A2 lifts the foot which is in the backcourt and then puts it back on the floor in the backcourt; or b) A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt, pivots and puts it on the floor in the backcourt. RULING for a) and b) ??

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

baseball16 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:26 pm Backcourt or Frontcourt

As team A is advancing the ball from its backcourt toward the frontcourt, A1 passes the ball to A2. A2 catches the ball while both feet are on the floor- with one foot on either side of the division line. in this situation either foot can become a pivot foot. a) A2 lifts the foot which is in the backcourt and then puts it back on the floor in the backcourt; or b) A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt, pivots and puts it on the floor in the backcourt. RULING for a) and b) ??
Play-on. No violation in either case.

Post by Tartanblue »

A) does he touch the back foot in the front court before putting in back down in the back court? If so I'd say it's a back court violation because the player completely crossed the line.

B) play on as the player didn't completely crossed the line.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I saw a related play last week. While in the back court, A1 passes the ball toward A2 who is in the front court. A2 jumps, catches the ball in the air and lands with both feet in the back court. They blew a whistle, but gave the ball back to team A because A2 had not established possession in the front court with the ball.

blockcharge7
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge7 »

They were wrong .

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

baseball16 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:26 pm Backcourt or Frontcourt

Ruling: a) It is a backcourt (over and back) violation. Once A2 lifts his foot , everything is now in the frontcourt. b) Not a Violation. when A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt and places it down in the backcourt, the location of the ball has not changed. The ball is still in the backcourt.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

COMMENT: it is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions. CASE BOOK 4.15

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, ring or another player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling?

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

baseball16 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:22 pm A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, ring or another player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling?
Not traveling if it is a legitimate shot on goal. Subjective call for the ref to deem if it is a legitimate shot.

Post by baseball16 »

Correct:

Ruling: No violation, when A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try. 4.44 Rule 4-12

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

A1 and A2 grab the rebound simultaneously on both feet, A1 and A2 each move one foot in attempting to wrestle the ball from each other before realizing they are teammates. A1 lets go and A2 Dribbles away. (Traveling or No Travel?)

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Travel no two players from the same team cannot control the ball at the same time

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

baseball16 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:26 pm A1 and A2 grab the rebound simultaneously on both feet, A1 and A2 each move one foot in attempting to wrestle the ball from each other before realizing they are teammates. A1 lets go and A2 Dribbles away. (Traveling or No Travel?)

Travel. They can not pivot.

Post by RoadMan »

Did either player move their pivot foot? This has major implications in the ruling...

Return to “Boys Basketball”