Division 2 Tournament Southeastern

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Division 2 Tournament Southeastern

Post by danicalifornia »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:50 am
danicalifornia wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:34 am The coaches in the SE District have to vote online by Midnight on 2/8, but voting opens on 2/7.

The seeds are released at 3:30 on 2/10

The 1 plays the 8/9 winner
2 plays the 7/10 winner

Games after the 8th don’t matter for seeding purposes.
Thank you ! I thought the 2/9 games were irrelevant.
We are the only district in the state where all games played prior to the tournament draw aren’t important. It is kind of amazing.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

CoachFlora wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:32 pm What are the longest active droughts in making it to the Convo? I know WCH hasn't made it to the Convo since the 2010-11 season. Would be awesome for Coach Scott and the program to experience it in his first season.
It was actually 09-10 for WCH. I only know this because our win over WCH in 10-11 was our first tournament win in like 4 years at that point.

Marietta, McClain and Hillsboro both last made it in 08-09.

Jackson was 02-03

I can also find nothing on New Lexington making it in the past 20 seasons.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

CoachFlora: That would be a very nice thing indeed.

Jackson might be able to challenge us for 2 things. The 2 seed and the Convo drought.

WCH schedule before the deadline of midnight on 2/8

@ Chillicothe
Lynchburg Clay
Jackson
Logan Elm
@ Greenfield
@ Vinton County
@ Unioto.

Play Miami Trace and Fairfield after the deadline. Not sure if and when Grandview Heights will be played.

Whatever happens over the next few weeks this team and staff will be ready. It’s officially next man up at WCH also for some of you who have been chomping at the bit to break that news.

WCH at this point has wins over
Chillicothe
Greenfield
Waverly
From D1 and D2 and an OT loss at Jackson.

Yet, with the 7 games remaining until the draw our seed could still change a few levels.

Jackson and Greenfield games will obviously be huge.

Chillicothe game should be played with a “nothing to lose” spirit. I know we are tied for first but most have been overlooking us or discounting our first win over Chillicothe altogether. A Waverly guy who is pretty knowledgeable didn’t know we had beaten Chillicothe or McClain.

Anyone want to change schedules before the deadline give me a call. We sure have a great deal ahead of us.

Good luck to all of your teams in the next few weeks. I hope everyone stays healthy and together. The JV Waverly injury is the worst I’ve seen live. Nothing ever come close to it again I hope.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:48 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:50 am
danicalifornia wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:34 am The coaches in the SE District have to vote online by Midnight on 2/8, but voting opens on 2/7.

The seeds are released at 3:30 on 2/10

The 1 plays the 8/9 winner
2 plays the 7/10 winner

Games after the 8th don’t matter for seeding purposes.
Thank you ! I thought the 2/9 games were irrelevant.
We are the only district in the state where all games played prior to the tournament draw aren’t important. It is kind of amazing.
I agree with you on this last point.

I won’t give Ironman92 any grief on the Chillicothe game being played after the deadline for multiple reasons though. The first of which should be obvious: it’s league scheduled and not moved back Also takes an opportunity away.

The 2010 answer is also spot on for WCH. It’s the first thing I looked up when Connor accepted the job. We talked about it in the Spring here in South Webster or Jeep Country. I do appreciate what CoachFlora is saying though. It’s been a while! Last win in the Convo might be 2003. Not 💯 but it’s in that time frame.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ukfanatic wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:23 am ok I realize I messed up a little whoever gets the 2 seed will play winner of 8vs 9 game. that means 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5. Gonna be an absolute dog fight to get the 2 seed. I would think for now Courthouse has the best chance at the two seed and maybe even could take the one from zane trace.
Ya, I don’t think it matters who the 3-6 are, any of them can beat each other on any given night. 1 & 2 have a much easier road to the District and should have a much easier District semi.
Waverly’s losses to South Webster, Eastern and Washington CH (all winnable games) hurt any chance they had at the 2. I’d say their loss at WCH hurt any chances they still had at a 3 or 4. Now, should they win out to seeding time, they should get the 5, possibly 4 but what does that matter, 4 and 5 play each other. Waverly just needs to avoid slipping to the 7 and have to play that extra game.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

smurray wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:03 pm
Ukfanatic wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:23 am ok I realize I messed up a little whoever gets the 2 seed will play winner of 8vs 9 game. that means 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5. Gonna be an absolute dog fight to get the 2 seed. I would think for now Courthouse has the best chance at the two seed and maybe even could take the one from zane trace.
Ya, I don’t think it matters who the 3-6 are, any of them can beat each other on any given night. 1 & 2 have a much easier road to the District and should have a much easier District semi.
Waverly’s losses to South Webster, Eastern and Washington CH (all winnable games) hurt any chance they had at the 2. I’d say their loss at WCH hurt any chances they still had at a 3 or 4. Now, should they win out to seeding time, they should get the 5, possibly 4 but what does that matter, 4 and 5 play each other. Waverly just needs to avoid slipping to the 7 and have to play that extra game.
This is remarkably not biased Very well done.

It’s so stinking hard not to be biased on here. I salute those when I can who can look at their own team fairly.

Waverly can compete with any of the teams in this sectional Any of them. Their league schedule gives them less room for error in their non league games.

The interesting part is that the 4 teams that advance from this Sectional could all see each other in District Finals.

1 and 3 travel together and 2 and 4 travel together.

That could be really fun. :-).

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm
This is remarkably not biased Very well done.

It’s so stinking hard not to be biased on here. I salute those when I can who can look at their own team fairly.

Waverly can compete with any of the teams in this sectional Any of them. Their league schedule gives them less room for error in their non league games.

The interesting part is that the 4 teams that advance from this Sectional could all see each other in District Finals.

1 and 3 travel together and 2 and 4 travel together.

That could be really fun. :-).
Warren, Sheridan, Athens, Fairfield Union, and LE would all be tough games, but I would like any of the top 7 from this sectional’s chances. We had 3 of the 4 District Finalists last year and I think we could definitely see that again this year, no matter who makes it.

I feel like the top 4 teams are pretty much set in that they will be in the top 4 (order pending other results obviously). But, like smurray said, there’s no real difference between the 4 and 5, outside of where their fans sit and what uniform they wear.

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

CoachFlora wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:32 pm What are the longest active droughts in making it to the Convo? I know WCH hasn't made it to the Convo since the 2010-11 season. Would be awesome for Coach Scott and the program to experience it in his first season.
Zane Trace has not won a tournament game since the 2012-2013 season. Also, they have not won a District title since 1970.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Disagree on much easier district semi, gotta see how that vote goes. Teams matchup differently

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Question for anybody: What D2 team has the best chance of reaching the state in 2019?

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

trojandave wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:09 pm Question for anybody: What D2 team has the best chance of reaching the state in 2019?
Jackson why not right

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

trojandave wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:09 pm Question for anybody: What D2 team has the best chance of reaching the state in 2019?
I will guess Sheridan, Zane Trace, Jackson, Warren but goodness Washington, McClain, Waverly, Fairfield Union, Athens allcould beat the first 4 I mentioned.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

I’ll say Zane Trace, because of great guard play and excellent post defense. Depth could eventually be an issue for them, but they have the right mix.

Of course, I’m not sure if they are even better than Jackson, Sheridan, etc., but I think the team makeup looks like a team that could make a deep run.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Does anyone know the Regional structure yet?

If it’s 2 SE teams and 2 E teams and the 2 SE teams play in the Regional Semi then I would tell you there’s a chance.

John Glenn
Steubenville
New Philly all look formidable from the East.

Tigersfan2019
Waterboy

Post by Tigersfan2019 »

Who do u guys think waverly will play and the first round of tournament and do u think they can make a run...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tigersfan2019 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:32 pm Who do u guys think waverly will play and the first round of tournament and do u think they can make a run...
Too early to tell who they’ll play. I’ll guess McClain.

Yes they can make a run again but their perimeter guys will need to hit shots and they seem to be improving on getting that.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Everyone seems to be treating Gallia Academy as if they are done. I hope they take thatcas a big chip on their shoulder. They may be done I don’t know.

But I also think if when ironton comes to town you revenge that loss. Then you go to fairland and beat a team that humiliated you and then you beat a good warren team at home. You might be 15-4 at draw and maybe the 2 seed I understand it is a big ask.

But there are some kids with some big time heart and no give up on this team.

Tigersfan2019
Waterboy

Post by Tigersfan2019 »

So the best waverly can do is get the 3 seed correct.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tigersfan2019 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:56 pm So the best waverly can do is get the 3 seed correct.
I don’t believe that’s true

joemama
Riding the Bench

Post by joemama »

Exactly 0 SE teams have a chance to make state. Regionals at best- when the E and C come to Convo is it is night night.

Return to “Boys Basketball”