“Yuge” upset in the MSL tonight

formerfcfan
SEOP

“Yuge” upset in the MSL tonight

Post by formerfcfan »

Liberty Union beats Bloom-Carroll in the “Otto Kuhns bowl”, at home, 74-53.

And the MSL-Buckeye gets further muddied up!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: “Yuge” upset in the MSL tonight

Post by Ironman92 »

So Logan Elm beating LU badly looks a little better. Hopefully that helps keep Coach S his job

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:07 pm So Logan Elm beating LU badly looks a little better. Hopefully that helps keep Coach S his job
Travis Hill is still leading the Troublesome Tarltonians with the construction of the 7’ rail upon which Doug Stiverson will be ran out on, as we speak.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Coach Stiverson will never get run out of LE. The leadership at LE is much stronger than that!!

Coach Stiverson might get tired of the stupidity of fans and get out but he will never be forced out. He is Logan Elm Basketball.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Travis Hill wouldn't know a good coach if he saw one. Probably has a son or had a son who didn't get to play for Logan Elm, and has an ax to grind with Coach Stiverson. Just ask around SEO what other coaches think of Doug Stiverson?

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Thought liberty union wasn't in the MSL?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

8 team MSL Buckeye

Liberty Union
Fairfield Union
Bloom Carroll
Teays Valley
Circleville
Amanda Clearcreek
Logan Elm
Hamilton Township

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I was told they dropped out and they ran with 7 teams. I'll make the adjustments on SEOPS.org

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

mattash wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 pm I was told they dropped out and they ran with 7 teams. I'll make the adjustments on SEOPS.org
That’s for football purposes, for what it’s worth.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Problem with Carroll is you focus the defense on Otto and if the other kids aren't hitting then they're very beatable.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

bman wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:57 pm Problem with Carroll is you focus the defense on Otto and if the other kids aren't hitting then they're very beatable.
This is a good point. When Markeece Brown transferred to Licking Heights he took with him the only other really capable and consistent scoring threat that BC had outside of Otto.

Interestingly enough, I thought this was moreso a surprising result given how LU was expected to be the last-place finisher in the MSL — especially considering the margin of victory. LU’s coach is a veteran, having led a reputable Georgia hs program in addition to several stunts in the Akron/Canton area, but not a whole lot of talent.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:28 am
bman wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:57 pm Problem with Carroll is you focus the defense on Otto and if the other kids aren't hitting then they're very beatable.
This is a good point. When Markeece Brown transferred to Licking Heights he took with him the only other really capable and consistent scoring threat that BC had outside of Otto.

Interestingly enough, I thought this was moreso a surprising result given how LU was expected to be the last-place finisher in the MSL — especially considering the margin of victory. LU’s coach is a veteran, having led a reputable Georgia hs program in addition to several stunts in the Akron/Canton area, but not a whole lot of talent.
LU has a good class, like in eighth grade coming up, don't they?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 pm Travis Hill wouldn't know a good coach if he saw one. Probably has a son or had a son who didn't get to play for Logan Elm, and has an ax to grind with Coach Stiverson. Just ask around SEO what other coaches think of Doug Stiverson?
Stiverson probably put him in his place at one time.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:50 pm [quote=mattash post_id=<a href="tel:1725859">1725859</a> time=<a href="tel:1545363750">1545363750</a> user_id=2]
I was told they dropped out and they ran with 7 teams. I'll make the adjustments on SEOPS.org
That’s for football purposes, for what it’s worth.
[/quote]
mattash wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 pm I was told they dropped out and they ran with 7 teams. I'll make the adjustments on SEOPS.org
I was not aware of this. I was at Teays Valley this year for a basketball game and Noted how diverse the MSL was. I didn’t realize they had 3 sections. I saw that Whitehall Yearling was in the same group with Grandview Heights? And the fact a D2 football school and a D6 football school are in the same division of the same conference instantly filled my mind with questions.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

LucasDavenport wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:36 am
I was not aware of this. I was at Teays Valley this year for a basketball game and Noted how diverse the MSL was. I didn’t realize they had 3 sections. I saw that Whitehall Yearling was in the same group with Grandview Heights? And the fact a D2 football school and a D6 football school are in the same division of the same conference instantly filled my mind with questions.
The MSL is a very competitive conference among its three divisions, and it’s an extremely proud and competitive conference when summing up the three divisions as one whole “MSL.”

The “Ohio” has an outstanding tradition in the ‘country club’ sports, with Bexley, Columbus Academy, Grandview Heights and Worthington Christian all having proud programs - past and present - in golf and tennis, as well as XC and soccer. It’s a very good hoops conference, too.

The “Cardinal” has seen changes in its set-up over the years, but the current alignment boasts a lot of proud ‘smallest of the small school’ athletic traditions. Basketball is very good and has a great history among many of these schools. Three of them finished in the top six in Region 27 for football, this year. A bunch of state titles in golf and individual + team XC/T&F titles, and a lot of state finalist appearances in hoops and soccer.

The “Buckeye”, the one that is most closely associated with SEOPs, is just a great group to be a part of. Lots of long-standing rivalries, plenty of softball and baseball success through the years. Travel is considerably short.

The only thing the MSL screwed up was the crossovers between the Ohio and Cardinal divisions for football, some 2-4 years ago. Lots of disparity between roster sizes. Fisher a few years ago was in a “win to get in” situation in week 10, (no matter who they would’ve played, as long as it wasn’t an 0-10 D7) but they drew the short-straw in that offseason and was forced by the MSL to play Whitehall in week 10. Was 0-7 at half, and they were hanging on for dear life, but eventually numbers won out. Ugh!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Tom Wilson, sports writer at the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette (and a great one, too!), just tweeted that this was the first time Liberty Union has beaten Bloom-Carroll on the hardwood since 1996.

falconbball
Riding the Bench

Post by falconbball »

bman wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:46 am

LU does have a decent 8th grade class, but 5 out of the 8 teams in the MSL at the 8th grade level are pretty good. not sure how they will develop their players grew quicker than everyone else so thats what made them tougher at the 7th grade level last year. We split with them last year (FU) BC and LE shared the league last year as 7th graders and FU finished 4th. We split with BC but lost 2 close ones to LE

falconbball
Riding the Bench

Post by falconbball »

falconbball wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:07 am

LU does have a decent 8th grade class, but 5 out of the 8 teams in the MSL at the 8th grade level are pretty good. not sure how they will develop their players grew quicker than everyone else so thats what made them tougher at the 7th grade level last year. We split with them last year (FU) BC and LE shared the league last year as 7th graders and FU finished 4th. We split with BC but lost 2 close ones to LE

Hamilton and Teays were pretty good too...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

falconbball wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:08 am
falconbball wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:07 am

Hamilton and Teays were pretty good too...
Thanks for the info. Should make for some exciting basketball in the MSL coming up, like there isn't enough parity already.

Return to “Boys Basketball”