Pike County Holiday Classic

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Pike County Holiday Classic

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:27 pm
mlittle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:07 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm “The other schools should be glad they receive a portion of the Gate.” LOL!! I’m not sure Waverly Basketball demands that much respect from the other county schools.

Another Question: Do the 3 other schools give up a home game in order to play in this Classic? It sounds like the other schools are making a lot of money for Waverly while getting little in return. It might be a wise idea financially for the other schools to just schedule another home game and move on!!
Since when is High school basketball a business for making profit? These kids are all getting to experience an atmosphere and tournament that can’t be replaced with another home game. That being said it would make sense for the tournament to rotate schools each year
If it is no longer the Waverly Holiday Classic and is now the Pike County Tournament (planned, scheduled, organized, hosted and ran by all 4 schools) and everyone is so concerned about Waverly making a ton of money from it - it would be a great idea to rotate schools and see how much each school makes on the gate after 4 years..... I guarantee you the other 3 schools wont make what they are now. If the gate is split now, that wouldnt change. How many fans can you get in Western, in Eastern? More in Piketon but no where near what you can get in Waverly.

I’d venture to say there aren’t any of these schools voicing these same complaints.
I’d say you are correct or it would’nt be at Waverly every year.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

If memory serves me correct, the money Waverly gives to the other schools is right at what an average gate would be for a normal home game at Piketon minus expenses. Waverly boosters do make a nice chunk of change off those two days I would assume.

The only issue I ever had was always playing Waverly on their home court. Waverly varsity boys basketball hasn’t played a game against Piketon at Piketon since 1969. And yes, I tried setting that up several times!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:56 pm Do the same schools participate in the Ironton Classic every year? Do the same schools participate in the ZT Classic every year? Chesapeake? Piketon? I don’t know the answers to those questions so find out and get back with me ..........

Better yet when you find out about all those “1 Game Events” (You gave examples of 1 Game events not tournaments) ask if the teams participating in them gave up a home game to participate in those.

My point from the beginning was it’s crazy for the other schools to participate under the setup they were describing. But if the other school are “OK” with it than good for Waverly. They are making out!
I don’t see that it matters if the events I mentioned are 1 game events or 2. And what does it matter if they are the same teams every year? I’m sure the other 3 schools make their schedules out planning for those two non-league “road” games - and benefiting from a split gate. CANT BEAT THAT! Every school plans for non-league road games. Why is this any different? It’s just two of their non-league road games - 5 to 20 minutes from home with a year end tournament atmosphere in December, in a jam packed arena, in one of the best (if not the best) basketball facilities in the area.
If any of these schools are losing a home game by participating in this great Classic it is their own scheduling fault. Or maybe, just maybe they see the great benefit in participating in it... I would say they are still getting their homes games and benefiting with a split gate from two “away” games.

Bobby k
Freshman Team

Post by Bobby k »

This whole conversation may be a mute point if Eastern decides to back out of the Holiday Classic next year...

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Sports-nut wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:25 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:55 pm I'm curious because I don't believe the holiday classic has ever been hosted by another school, so does the 4 county schools split the money in some fashion??
Yes the money is payed to each school but if you seen the crowds you’d know why it is played at Hawhee’s Palace.
I've been there and I've seen the crowds, which was why I was curious how the money was distributed. As long as the other schools are included, I'm sure each of them agree to play it at waverly, if they weren't then I'm sure it would be rotated around regardless of how many ppl each place can hold.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:53 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:56 pm Hmmmm .... I have a question. So Waverly host their Hall of Fame Inductions at the Classic?

So they allowed all the honorees and family into the Classic free then they split the gate up? So the inductions are for one school (Waverly) but it cost the other schools money in revenue. Is that what I’m hearing??
Should Waverly deduct everything it takes to run this event from the gate they split with the other schools?
Waverly hosts this event and I’m not aware the other schools help pay for what it takes to run it, and it is still the Waverly Holiday Classic from what I know and understand. The other schools should be glad they receive a portion of the gate.
There is no “Pike County Tournament” Association or Committee or group that organizes this event that I’m aware of - its Waverly that organizes and hosts it.
I’m not speaking for the School or anyone associated with the school and I may be wrong, so someone who knows different can correct me.

As for the Hall Of Fame, I see both sides. This Waverly Holiday Classic is during the Christmas/New Years break when the biggest majority of inductees can arrange to be there. I also see and have heard the displeasure from folks not from Waverly who don’t want to sit through it.
I go back to this being an event Waverly prepares, organizes, hosts, runs. I’m sure if one of the Schools dont like it they can voice their concerns to the Administration. If that hasn’t been done I dont know why people want to get on this site and run it down. The downtown Arena (still the best facility around) is jam packed every year for this event which tells me something.
Well a few things, absolutely Waverly should deduct what it cost to run the even if they are splitting with the other schools. As for calling the Waverly Holiday Classic, I'm not sure I buy into that considering when I look at Waverly's school website and you click on schedule it says "PIKE COUNTY CLASSIC" so going by that and that alone tells me it's a tourney for all the teams in you know, Pike County. I'm sure all the schools have some type of agreement put in place other wise you'd see the Pike County Classic rotated around. As far as the Hall of Fame inductions I don't see any problem with it many of the people being inducted know each other across the county and even played against each other, so with that I could see where not to many would have a problem with it.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... as a fan, sitting in the Cheap Seats ... THIS event has ALWAYS been outstanding to watch both nights, opening night or Championship Night ! it's a destination for watching excellent basketball EVERY year !!! ... I tip my hat to all involved in making it happen every year ... there is no such thing as putting on a 2 day event like this that does not involve LOTS of effort, coordination of resources and people ... I have done ALL three of the scenarios - first night only when the HOF inductees are presented - outstanding! I have listened to the comments in the stands - nothing but positives as even those not from Waverly KNOW of the athletes being inducted ... both nights ... the final night only as this year - full house, great hoops, knowledgeable fans from ALL over not just fans of the teams involved ... winning the holiday event IS a goal for the teams participating ... with the longer seasons having midseason goals to reach such as winning the holiday tournament is a built in incentive in the schedule that IS needed - outside the league, sectional championships, making it to the Convo ... I for one being on the outside looking in would miss not having the Pike County Holiday tournament to attend ... 4 quality teams in the same place ? - outstanding! a no-brainer imo ...

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:13 pm If memory serves me correct, the money Waverly gives to the other schools is right at what an average gate would be for a normal home game at Piketon minus expenses. Waverly boosters do make a nice chunk of change off those two days I would assume.

The only issue I ever had was always playing Waverly on their home court. Waverly varsity boys basketball hasn’t played a game against Piketon at Piketon since 1969. And yes, I tried setting that up several times!
WOW, would've never guessed that, kind of makes me wonder now has when is the last time Waverly traveled to Eastern or Western. Yeah the crowds are crazy packed and Waverly makes out big time just in concessions I mean, we're talking both boys and girls Pike County Tourney. I'm still waiting for when they decide to take a day and let the JV teams play it out just to get that many more ppl in the door.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Bobby k wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:58 pm This whole conversation may be a mute point if Eastern decides to back out of the Holiday Classic next year...
Why would they??

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm “The other schools should be glad they receive a portion of the Gate.” LOL!! I’m not sure Waverly Basketball demands that much respect from the other county schools.

Another Question: Do the 3 other schools give up a home game in order to play in this Classic? It sounds like the other schools are making a lot of money for Waverly while getting little in return. It might be a wise idea financially for the other schools to just schedule another home game and move on!!
Since when is High school basketball a business for making profit? These kids are all getting to experience an atmosphere and tournament that can’t be replaced with another home game. That being said it would make sense for the tournament to rotate schools each year
Anytime you have a sporting event the idea is to make a profit, that's how you keep these teams up and going, the money just doesn't appear. I get what you're saying but from a AD or school administration standpoint trying to make a profit when there's profit to be made is a BIG deal to certain ppl and schools. That's the very reason a school will lose a program if it's can't sustain itself for a long period of time. Look at all the improvements Waverly has made to each of it's facilities it's done to entice players, and fans and also to host games come tournament time to make more money to help pay for things. I tip my hat to Waverly for all the improvements they've made across the board everything looks top notch and first class, I'll be interested in seeing the new indoor facility they build this coming year up by the school.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:21 pm ... as a fan, sitting in the Cheap Seats ... THIS event has ALWAYS been outstanding to watch both nights, opening night or Championship Night ! it's a destination for watching excellent basketball EVERY year !!! ... I tip my hat to all involved in making it happen every year ... there is no such thing as putting on a 2 day event like this that does not involve LOTS of effort, coordination of resources and people ... I have done ALL three of the scenarios - first night only when the HOF inductees are presented - outstanding! I have listened to the comments in the stands - nothing but positives as even those not from Waverly KNOW of the athletes being inducted ... both nights ... the final night only as this year - full house, great hoops, knowledgeable fans from ALL over not just fans of the teams involved ... winning the holiday event IS a goal for the teams participating ... with the longer seasons having midseason goals to reach such as winning the holiday tournament is a built in incentive in the schedule that IS needed - outside the league, sectional championships, making it to the Convo ... I for one being on the outside looking in would miss not having the Pike County Holiday tournament to attend ... 4 quality teams in the same place ? - outstanding! a no-brainer imo ...
Great comments from a basketball fan..

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Bobby k wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:58 pm This whole conversation may be a mute point if Eastern decides to back out of the Holiday Classic next year...
Could be very interesting to see what Eastern does as they enter the SOC2.
They are currently in the SOC1 with Weatern so some years they could end up playing Western three times - which they have done before and will do this year. Will that be different for them next year with possibly facing Waverly three times? I don’t see that as anything different.
However, Eastern will lose a ton of experience and most of their offense with that great senior class, will that weigh on any decisions they may make?
I heard it said when Barrick took the job he indicated he would take it since Eastern was not in the SOC2, that he did not want to coach in the SOC2 and wasn’t happy when they agreed to join. What does he do??

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:41 pm
Could be very interesting to see what Eastern does as they enter the SOC2.
They are currently in the SOC1 with Weatern so some years they could end up playing Western three times - which they have done before and will do this year. Will that be different for them next year with possibly facing Waverly three times? I don’t see that as anything different.
However, Eastern will lose a ton of experience and most of their offense with that great senior class, will that weigh on any decisions they may make?
I heard it said when Barrick took the job he indicated he would take it since Eastern was not in the SOC2, that he did not want to coach in the SOC2 and wasn’t happy when they agreed to join. What does he do??
I've heard for the last couple of years that Barrick may be about done and he could very well leave with the move up. For Eastern it probably couldn't have been a worse year to enter SOC2 play because they will lose a ton of talent. The struggle will be very real for Eastern in league play next year, they'll be hard pressed really to win more than a small handful of games in league play. Hopefully they can put together a really nice 2018/19 campaign and go deep into the tourney before the move up.

Bobby k
Freshman Team

Post by Bobby k »

I’d hate to see the county tourney go away. Hopefully Eastern Admin doesn’t back out due to moving up a division.

On a side note. How bout we make the Classic a super classic and join the girls into it as well! The girls Classic is just as competitive.

4 day event.
Wednesday it’s the girls semis.
Thursday it’s the boys semis.
Friday the Consolation for girls and boys.
Saturday CHAMPIONSHIP NIGHT for both.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Bobby k wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm I’d hate to see the county tourney go away. Hopefully Eastern Admin doesn’t back out due to moving up a division.

On a side note. How bout we make the Classic a super classic and join the girls into it as well! The girls Classic is just as competitive.

4 day event.
Wednesday it’s the girls semis.
Thursday it’s the boys semis.
Friday the Consolation for girls and boys.
Saturday CHAMPIONSHIP NIGHT for both.
I like that idea but Christmas Eve/Christmas Day and New Years Eve/New Years Day will be on some of those days more years than not.
You’d have to do that kind of schedule before Christmas. It would have worked this year.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Anytime you have a sporting event the idea is to make a profit, that's how you keep these teams up and going, the money just doesn't appear. I get what you're saying but from a AD or school administration standpoint trying to make a profit when there's profit to be made is a BIG deal to certain ppl and schools. That's the very reason a school will lose a program if it's can't sustain itself for a long period of time. Look at all the improvements Waverly has made to each of it's facilities it's done to entice players, and fans and also to host games come tournament time to make more money to help pay for things. I tip my hat to Waverly for all the improvements they've made across the board everything looks top notch and first class, I'll be interested in seeing the new indoor facility they build this coming year up by the school.
Not saying they shouldn’t make profit. Just saying the other schools aren’t losing money by playing it at Waverlys gym. And even if it was close, the experience of the county tournament for the kids would far outweigh any profit concerns

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Post by bucknuts09 »

Well this is getting nowhere quickly! Congrats to the Eagles! I too enjoy the down town gym! Maybe just play a home game!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mlittle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:33 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Not saying they shouldn’t make profit. Just saying the other schools aren’t losing money by playing it at Waverlys gym. And even if it was close, the experience of the county tournament for the kids would far outweigh any profit concerns
👍

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Post by bucknuts09 »

Seems some other schools need to take notes on how to make some facilities nicer ! Even if it does take paying to park at games !

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

As an Eastern Eagle fan I would really hate to see the classic go away, I look forward to this event every year, for the players , fans ,coaches it’s just an awesome time for pike county basketball. I am not sure on the money aspect of all of it , but I would have to think it is a minimal loss , if any at all, definitely not worth not participating in it. I haven’t heard anything about Eastern not wanting to participate next year or beyond, win or lose it is a great 2 days of basketball, I hope it continues for a longtime .

Return to “Boys Basketball”