Athens @ Meigs 1/4

Crest
Waterboy

Re: Athens @ Meigs 1/4

Post by Crest »

Meigs has a coach and let’s hope he sticks around for many years to come because he’s a good one.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:23 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:07 pm Just feels like a “TRAP GAME” to me. Hope I am wrong.
Yes it is. Meigs is pretty good. Hopefully we play our best game.
Impressive game by Athens in the 1st and 4th quarter coming off a long break. They seem to be getting some pretty good momentum and barring any injuries in the Wellston Game, looking forward to seeing what they can do against Warren. Guard play was great and Butcher played some great D

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:48 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:23 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:07 pm Just feels like a “TRAP GAME” to me. Hope I am wrong.
Yes it is. Meigs is pretty good. Hopefully we play our best game.
Impressive game by Athens in the 1st and 4th quarter coming off a long break. They seem to be getting some pretty good momentum and barring any injuries in the Wellston Game, looking forward to seeing what they can do against Warren. Guard play was great and Butcher played some great D.

Isn’t this the same game that kicked off the run last year too? Maxfield came out big like last year it appears.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I just read the Athens Sunday Messenger sports section and I do think Maxfield may have put himself in the lead for now for POY. Read where he had 19 with 7 coming in the 4th quarter where Athens only led by 1 going in to that 4th and then held Meigs to 4 points. Good to see Williams starting to get scoring again with 10 in that one. 6th man Markins was crucial off the bench with 7 points.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:32 pm I just read the Athens Sunday Messenger sports section and I do think Maxfield may have put himself in the lead for now for POY. Read where he had 19 with 7 coming in the 4th quarter where Athens only led by 1 going in to that 4th and then held Meigs to 4 points. Good to see Williams starting to get scoring again with 10 in that one. 6th man Markins was crucial off the bench with 7 points.
Agreed Vision. Good to hear Williams starting to do better. Heard the My buddy told me Butcher and Hynes had some solid rebounding too.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I’m just waiting for that game where all 5 starters go for double digits. I don’t think it has happened yet, but this Friday night at Warren will be good as time as any. LOL.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:32 pm I just read the Athens Sunday Messenger sports section and I do think Maxfield may have put himself in the lead for now for POY. Read where he had 19 with 7 coming in the 4th quarter where Athens only led by 1 going in to that 4th and then held Meigs to 4 points. Good to see Williams starting to get scoring again with 10 in that one. 6th man Markins was crucial off the bench with 7 points.
Williams doesn’t put up the big stats but he’s turned into maybe the best PG in the TVC. His rebounding ability is huge at the end of the games. Athens is definitely more of a defensive team but the offense is coming together

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:24 am
Williams doesn’t put up the big stats but he’s turned into maybe the best PG in the TVC. His rebounding ability is huge at the end of the games. Athens is definitely more of a defensive team but the offense is coming together
And just look how much better they are doing with the absence of daddy ball. They've been on a roll since that ended sometime last season.

Fecal Oscillator
Waterboy

Post by Fecal Oscillator »

^^^ I odnt think it has ever really gone compleely away

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Fecal Oscillator wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:17 pm ^^^ I odnt think it has ever really gone compleely away
Curious, do you mean As still going on in Athens or just around the TVC in general. I don’t see it in Athens, not did I before even when the coaches son played. He earned the right to start.

JustusLeague
Freshman Team

Post by JustusLeague »

Athens is mediocre at best. For all their "talent" they don't impress me at all.

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

Crest wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:13 pm Are you forgetting this is a basketball thread for the Athens and Meigs basketball game and has nothing to do with Coach Bartrum. That crap is getting old. Give it up already.
Agreed. Meigs fell short against a larger school with superior talent due to the fact that they have a MUCH larger talent pool to draw from. Meigs will need to be craftier to win these games with Athens going forward. It seems to me that using unique tactics would be wise. Offensively, I suggest using the "WHEEL" to kill the clock and keep the game close. Defensively, if they used a little more 1-3-1 they could force Athens to have to be hot shooting from over top. On a tough night shooting this spells victory. As for coaching, this guy they hired is probably a solid coach. But why wouldnt Meigs want Bart involved if he chose to do so?

Until Ohio division schools learn to outcoach, outwork, and out think Athens it will be more of the same. Once that happens Athens will go back into Cut and Run mode and probably want to join the SVAC.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Almost Champions wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 am
Crest wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:13 pm Are you forgetting this is a basketball thread for the Athens and Meigs basketball game and has nothing to do with Coach Bartrum. That crap is getting old. Give it up already.
Agreed. Meigs fell short against a larger school with superior talent due to the fact that they have a MUCH larger talent pool to draw from. Meigs will need to be craftier to win these games with Athens going forward. It seems to me that using unique tactics would be wise. Offensively, I suggest using the "WHEEL" to kill the clock and keep the game close. Defensively, if they used a little more 1-3-1 they could force Athens to have to be hot shooting from over top. On a tough night shooting this spells victory. As for coaching, this guy they hired is probably a solid coach. But why wouldnt Meigs want Bart involved if he chose to do so?

Until Ohio division schools learn to outcoach, outwork, and out think Athens it will be more of the same. Once that happens Athens will go back into Cut and Run mode and probably want to join the SVAC.
Bart needs to forcus on football more and maybe Meigs wants to be above .500 in basketball Sure not .500 under Bart in football

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

itsme wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:29 am

Bart needs to forcus on football more and maybe Meigs wants to be above .500 in basketball Sure not .500 under Bart in football
So Bart's now the basketball coach too? WOW! When did this happen? So they want to be mediocre in both sports just so they can say they have an NFL coach in both sports or what? SMDH :mrgreen:

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

WOW Just imagine if Meigs didn't have open enrollment kids starting for them. This game would have been a beat down.

Return to “Boys Basketball”