Most difficult place to play?

wipala
Varsity

Re: Most difficult place to play?

Post by wipala »

I am going back, way back in the time machine....as most old people do..
My choices would be the old New Boston gym in the 60's
East for sure. Grant gym in the 50-70's. The old Clay place was crazy.
Now way back, the old South Webster, McDermont (spl) and the gym
at McKell was H...

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:54 am
TVC wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:56 pm The stage in Logan was the most feared gymnasium (auditorium) in all of Southeastern Ohio for a long, long time. I'm curious if Katie ever lost a game there?
I believe Katie played atleast her senior year at the ugly new gym. Maybe even her junior year also.
She never played at the new high school.
She may have played at the middle school gymnasium, which is actually named after her I believe. Or at least it use to be called Katie Smith Gymnasium.

The one now is Jim Meyers, which is completely on the other side of the highway.
Katie graduated in 1992, and the Logan middle school gym opened in 1994.

Bastogne
Freshman Team

Post by Bastogne »

East. No comparison in the modern age of basketball in SE Ohio.
Restraining line. Bench and scorer's table on opposite sides of the court. Players on the bench sit with feet in playing area. Coaches stand in the playing area. I keep waiting for the technical foul that should be called on coaches and players interfering with play. Benches/coaches affect sideline plays. People walk on the floor from stands. So narrow that you can't spread out the offense or have a transitional fast break. So short that a slow big man can play the whole game because he doesn't have to run up and down a full-size court. More than 25 fans and you have a crowd. Seats only one one side. Wall on the bench side. Can't shoot threes from the corner unless you are standing sideways. Three-pointers are not possible or are extremely difficult on half of the three-point area. Can't run an offense after you cross half court since you can touch the top of the key and still be standing on the midcourt line. Used to have a double center line. Took that out. Made it worse. Stage on one end. Fans sitting in chairs on the baseline under/near one basket. Fans sit in front of scorer's table and scream (while sometimes standing) at officials when they make calls they don't like and as they report the fouls. They could have the worse team in the history of basketball and East would still be competitive in that gym. It's definitely a home court advantage.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 pm The Warrior Dome

Every where else is fighting for a distant second.

I've always loved the warrior dome ,we are 3 out of four there and the 4 was a bad call by the ref ,and Maddox hasn't wanted to play us since .

Tell him I said that he will know me .LOL

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

mhs95_06 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:11 pm
TVC wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 pm

I believe Katie played atleast her senior year at the ugly new gym. Maybe even her junior year also.
She may have played at the middle school gymnasium, which is actually named after her I believe. Or at least it use to be called Katie Smith Gymnasium.

The one now is Jim Meyers, which is completely on the other side of the highway.
That cant be correct. I graduated in 93 and we did not play on the stage. We played at the new middle school.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 pm

That cant be correct. I graduated in 93 and we did not play on the stage. We played at the new middle school.
I have memories but I’ll let you two figure it out

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm about 95% sure Katie played her senior year in the new middle school gym. lol

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Most difficult place to play?after

Post by biggdowgg »

After reading through both pages , Portsmouth 3 out of 4 wins at Warren is more impressive then I thought , don't look like many teams at all win there .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

biggdowgg wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:47 pm After reading through both pages , Portsmouth 3 out of 4 wins at Warren is more impressive then I thought , don't look like many teams at all win there .
Winning 3 of 4 at Warren = making final 4

I recommend another banner in Portsmouth’s gym

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Athens travels to Warren next Friday. UGGHHH

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:26 pm Athens travels to Warren next Friday. UGGHHH
Well Athens is a little better team so that gives a chance

Tigerhawk123
Waterboy

Post by Tigerhawk123 »

McClain (and the “New Gym”) is back - with a vengeance.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 pm

My daughter who graduated from MHS in spring of 2000 played 7th grade volleyball and they played their 1st volleyball game, and my first ever to witness, at Logan on the 1st or 2nd day of school. I distinctly remember going to the brand new Logan middle school for that game, in fact they were having an open house that night for the new school. With that being my first experience of a volleyball game, you can imagine me being taken aback when they played at Gallia on the stage and at Shade where the volleyball court barely fit on the basketball court. In fact they had a special serving line several feet in front of the end line. Are you sure Logan didn't play their games for a couple years at another facility between the years of the stage and the middle school? That first year I learned where a lot of volleyball, basketball, and softball facilties were without the benefit of google maps!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ironman92 alerted me to this thread on Twitter.

Logan played at the old high school - on a stage/gym - from 1933ish (I don’t have my notebook/history handy) until 1992.

Logan moved to the new middle school gym (Katie Smith Gymnasium) in Feb of 1992. Katie played the last two games of her Varsity career there.

The “new” gym opened with a boys/girls varsity double header against Warren. I still have my ticket stub. Nearly every seat was “reserved” and handwritten on your ticket.

Katie dropped 50 on Athens on her senior night. It is still the single game LHS scoring mark (boys or girls).

Logan moved straight from the old HS “stage” to the Katie Smith Gymnasium.

93bulldog -

I’m pretty sure Katie DID lose a couple games on the old stage. I think Urbana won there - they had two big time D1 players on that team.

Her freshman year Logan lost about 6 games (not sure how many at home) or so and did not win the SEOAL (Gallia did).

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I knew she played on that “new” court her senior year, even if only 2 games.

When was it named after her?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:29 pm I knew she played on that “new” court her senior year, even if only 2 games.

I’d have to go double check- but I think it was after 2004 when she won her second gold medal.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

loganlocos wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:38 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:29 pm I knew she played on that “new” court her senior year, even if only 2 games.

I’d have to go double check- but I think it was after 2004 when she won her second gold medal.
Oh ok....I thought it was Waaaaaay before that so I was wa off

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:40 pm
loganlocos wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Oh ok....I thought it was Waaaaaay before that so I was wa off
You made me go check. I still don’t have the exact year, but it looks like it happened between the 1999-00 and 2000-01 seasons - so while I was in HS.

Crazy cause I would have sworn it was after. Honestly why I don’t trust people’s memories on matters of fact!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:27 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:47 pm After reading through both pages , Portsmouth 3 out of 4 wins at Warren is more impressive then I thought , don't look like many teams at all win there .
Winning 3 of 4 at Warren = making final 4

I recommend another banner in Portsmouth’s gym

Ha ...

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Never been to Warren,but hear alot about it.Now that Old NB gym is gone,I believe it's hands down East as far as gyms I've been too which is probably 70% of se Ohio,it's a different game in sciotoville as already mentioned, at least a 12-15 point home court advantage. My senior year,we beat East on a buzzer beater at there place and beat them by 30 at home,I'm sure there are many examples like mine. Peebles always has a great atmosphere and fan support also always good teams which makes any game there tough, love there basketball in Peebles. Green can also be a tough place to win.

Return to “Boys Basketball”