Post by mattash »

Who has the best home court advantage?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
VisionQuest
All State

Re: Most difficult place to play?

Post by VisionQuest »

mattash wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:29 pm Who has the best home court advantage?
THE ALLEY!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

1. Warren

2. Logan

3. Alexander
4. Zane Trace
5. Peebles
6. Ironton
7. Vinton Co
8. Athens
9. Eastern Brown
10. Oak Hill

HM: South Webster, New Boston, McClain, Chillicothe, Wellston, Southern, Nelsonville, Piketon, Adena, Manchester, Hillsboro

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Warren fans really get into it?

Michael Scott
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mattash wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:54 pm Warren fans really get into it?
It’s just an all-around tough as hell place to play well and exit with a win. Having an elite coach and great program is the biggest % of it. I’m not sure the state champ Chillicothe team won there lol

Athens plays there coming up....make the 2 hour trip that way and take one in.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I will say this year..our game at McClain was far and away the best atmosphere, not even close

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Southern use to be HORRIBLE

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Over the decades I think that Peebles fans like their basketball more than any other fan base on a consistent basis.

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

As a player, I always thought the Waverly downtown gym was a tough place to shoot in.
Of course, I played 35 years ago, but it is the same gym.
Another one for me was Wheelersburg's old gym. Stage on the side. Benches on the floor.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I’ll go with places where opponents rarely win. Warren is currently one of those.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

I've got to say Eastern Brown. The student section is directly behind the visitors bench. It can get pretty nasty at times.Eastern Pike is a trip also.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:54 pm I've got to say Eastern Brown. The student section is directly behind the visitors bench. It can get pretty nasty at times.Eastern Pike is a trip also.
Another I hated was when you played at CAPE. There was barely enough room to get in that place.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Where was or is Cape?

Michael Scott
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mattash wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:17 pm Where was or is Cape?
Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education

I think

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:32 pm
mattash wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:17 pm Where was or is Cape?
Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education

I think
You are correct Ironman.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: Portsmouth didn't make your list of the top 21? We've averaged 17 wins a year for a decade, with only 1 losing season, so I would deduce that playing at PHS is a tough place to play simply because we win most of the time there. This year the Trojans are 5-0 at home. Trojan Arena (official name) is far from the noisiest place to play, but just because it's not really that noisy doesn't mean it's an easier place for opponents.....and one thing we have that no one else in the SE district has......4 state championship banners on the north wall, and two other state tournament banners hanging from the rafters. That does give our gym a unique quality.

Portsmouth had a stretch of beating Warren 3 out of 4 years during the SEOAL days. On the flip side, Warren won at Portsmouth 3 out of 4 times during that same period. Warren still has to this day the best concessions (chicken and noodles) of any gym in the SE district that I've been to. Logan is a strong 2nd.

I remember going to McClain during the Van Matre years. I thought it was the toughest place in the SE district for anyone to win. Not only were the Tigers really good, the gym was packed with rowdy fans. Portsmouth lost at McClain in 2001 51-42, and that Trojan team won the district that year, beating Warren 65-54.

Back in the 80's, Portsmouth won an incredible 40 games in a row at the old 8th street gym. The competition that the Trojans played back then made the streak even more amazing......many big city schools from Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati. In 1987, Dayton Dunbar won the Class AAA state title, and finished ranked #24 by USA Today, yet lost to the Trojans 62-61 at PHS. That Dunbar team featured Kirk Taylor, who played at Michigan, and Mark Baker, who played at Ohio State.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Warrior Dome

Every where else is fighting for a distant second.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:04 pm Ironman92: Portsmouth didn't make your list of the top 21? We've averaged 17 wins a year for a decade, with only 1 losing season, so I would deduce that playing at PHS is a tough place to play simply because we win most of the time there. This year the Trojans are 5-0 at home. Trojan Arena (official name) is far from the noisiest place to play, but just because it's not really that noisy doesn't mean it's an easier place for opponents.....and one thing we have that no one else in the SE district has......4 state championship banners on the north wall, and two other state tournament banners hanging from the rafters. That does give our gym a unique quality.

Portsmouth had a stretch of beating Warren 3 out of 4 years during the SEOAL days. On the flip side, Warren won at Portsmouth 3 out of 4 times during that same period. Warren still has to this day the best concessions (chicken and noodles) of any gym in the SE district that I've been to. Logan is a strong 2nd.

I remember going to McClain during the Van Matre years. I thought it was the toughest place in the SE district for anyone to win. Not only were the Tigers really good, the gym was packed with rowdy fans. Portsmouth lost at McClain in 2001 51-42, and that Trojan team won the district that year, beating Warren 65-54.

Back in the 80's, Portsmouth won an incredible 40 games in a row at the old 8th street gym. The competition that the Trojans played back then made the streak even more amazing......many big city schools from Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati. In 1987, Dayton Dunbar won the Class AAA state title, and finished ranked #24 by USA Today, yet lost to the Trojans 62-61 at PHS. That Dunbar team featured Kirk Taylor, who played at Michigan, and Mark Baker, who played at Ohio State.
I wasn’t ranking the top programs. Of course it’s toigh to leave Portsmouth with a win. But I never got the tough environment, tough student section, crowd etc. Portsmouth just good and play hard.

Not an insult at all. Jackson really good this year but might not make my top 50. You really think I believe Wellston is better than Portsmouth? I didn’t list Burg either....also have been to like 1 game there. I’m content with my list. List your own....it’ll be good.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 pm The Warrior Dome

Every where else is fighting for a distant second.
... I totally agree -the Warrior Dome gets the nod for me ... before the new Gallia Academy High School was opened I would ADD the GAHS Old School gym right there with Warren ... the visitors MIGHT have had 1-12 rows of half bleachers to sit LOL ... always packed under the leadership of Coach Osborne -great high school hoops atmosphere ...

Sandman18
Waterboy

Post by Sandman18 »

I 2nd the warrior dome.. court felt as if it was 3 sizes too small.. adding the full court press with the length they’ve had over the years and it made an AWFUL place to escape with a W

Return to “Boys Basketball”