Zane Trace 67 Adena 52 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Zane Trace 67 Adena 52 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Zane Trace 67
Adena 52 a final

...my first visit to the Village ... Adena vs Zane Trace both undefeated in the SVC coming into the game ...both coming off losses to Greenfield McClain ... had the earmarks of a good game written all over it ... the game lived up to the billing for the first 16 minutes of action as both TEAMS played solid basketball with the key players for both teams stepping up - all 5 starters for Coach Kellough's Pioneers put points on the board in the 1st period led by PG Colby Swain's 6pts/Nick Nesser with 4 including a transition 2 handed slam /Cam Evans added 4 pts/ Chad Ison a trey for 3 pts and Triton Davidson 3 pts ... not to be outgunned Adena's starting 5 all put points on the napkin stat sheet - Zach Fout 5/Caleb Fogelsong 5/Jarrett Garrison 2/Preston Sykes 3 and Logan Bennett 1 ... both teams had 4 TOs in the quarter .... pretty evenly matched ... ZT 20 Adena 16 end of 1 ... Quarter 2 had the Pioneers maintaining their lead through the 3 minute mark of the period before the trio of Garrison/Sykes and Bennett closed ranks - with Garrison hitting for 8 points/Sykes 4 and big triple by Bennett the group brought the Warriors all the way back ... Zane Trace 31 Adena 31 at the half ...

... even as Adena appeared to be standing toe to toe with ZT in the opening 2 periods ZT seemed the more "physical" team... as the 3rd quarter started the Zane Trace Defense turned up the pressure - not forcing turnovers but getting Adena to force shots/hurry shots ... as AHS was shooting blanks ZT's Cam Evans & Colby Swain gave ZT separation - at the 4:41 mark ZT led 42-36 ( an 11-5 ZT run) less than 2 minutes of clock later Zane Trace had opened up a 49-37 lead ... Evans adding 7 points/Swain 2 triples - 6pts ... while Evans/Swain were getting it done offensively the boards were being owned by Nesser/Davidson and back from injury Luke Johnson ... ZT 51 Adena 40 end of 3 ... with the lead and the inside/outside physical play by ZT Adena had to get shots up , mostly from the perimeter which with the ZT board control - it left the door open for ZT to be deliberate with the ball offensively taking time off the clock - still looking to score but taking the shots they wanted from where they wanted and by whom they wanted - Cam Evans is a good man to have with the rock in his hands down the stretch 4 pts in the quarter/Luke Johnson added 4 pts and Ison a trey to go with 5/6 FT shooting by Swain & Nesser ( need to add the fine job Colby Swain did handling Adena perimeter pressure all game) ... Zane Trace pushed their way into sole possession of 1st place in the SVC Zane Trace 67 Adena 52 a final ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Adena

Scoring ... Jarrett Garrison 12, Logan Bennett 12, Preston Sykes 11, Zach Fouts 6, Caleb Fogelsong 5, Jacob Shipley 3, Brian Kunkel 3
3 Pointers ... 6/21 ... Logan Bennett 2, Brian Kunkel 1, Jacob Shipley 1,Brian Kunkel 1 , Zach Fout 1
FT's ... 6/9
TO's ... 12
PnP ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/2 points in transition

... Adena has a very nice team ... the 3 sophomores are outstanding Jarrett Garrison, Logan Bennett, Preston Sykes - all 3 in double figures to lead the Warriors ... size, good shooters , 5 sophomores saw the floor ... I suppose you could make a case for the difference in the game WAS Adena was playing it's sophomores vs the ZT juniors which gave the edge in size & physical strength to Zane Trace - advantage Pioneers ... Adena's sophs are excellent and will battling with ZT all the way this year AND next ... going to be fun to watch these matchups ... best of luck to the Warriors ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Zane Trace

Scoring ... Colby Swain 17, Cam Evans 17, Triton Davidson 12, Nick Nesser 8, Chad Ison 6, Luke Johnson 6
3 Pointers ... 4/7 ... Colby Swain 2, Chad Ison 2
FT's ... 11/15
TO's ... 14
PnP ... 19 fgs/38 points in the paint
PnT ... 6 fg/12 points in transition

... as I pointed out Zane Trace has talent at all 5 starting positions , a very physically strong TEAM across the board especially with Luke Johnson back on the floor ...Coach Kellough's teams don't take many 3's BUT they make the ones they put up count (4/7 tonight) ... Swain is an excellent handler of the ball and gets the offense moving and the ball where it needs to be on the floor , Davidson/Nesser/Johnson are beasts in the paint and then you have Cam Evans who IS the "go to" guy who can get to the rim, get a shot on goal without forcing it up - a scorer ... I had the chance to wish Coach Kellough good luck before the game - Coach K is a great guy, excellent Coach ... since leaving Logan Coach K has ALWAYS taken time to give me shout wherever I run into him and his Pioneers ... after the game I was going over the game in my mind on the drive back to Logan - it hit me ! Swaim, Nesser, Evans, Davidson and Luke Johnson are ALL juniors - they will ALL be back for another year for Coach K ... let that one sink in for a few minutes ... wish the Pioneers the best the rest of the season ...

bandleader
Waterboy

Re: Zane Trace 67 Adena 52 a final ...

Post by bandleader »

Good run down, pfloyd. It was a great high school basketball atmosphere last night. In the end, I think ZT's physicality was the difference. And Cam Evans is really, really good at controlling the game. Adena will continue improve and get better and better as the season goes along.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bandleader wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:25 am Good run down, pfloyd. It was a great high school basketball atmosphere last night. In the end, I think ZT's physicality was the difference. And Cam Evans is really, really good at controlling the game. Adena will continue improve and get better and better as the season goes along.

... thanks bandleader ! welcome to SEOPs ! - saw that THAT was your first post on the board - keep posting ! - you are right on ALL of your observations in my book - great atmosphere (packed on both sides before the JV game/had to wait in line outside to get my ticket ! doesn't happen often like that ESPECIALLY 20 minutes BEFORE the JV game !) , the strength/physicality of Zane Trace for ALL 32 minutes was the difference - ZT didn't get in foul trouble/Coach K didn't need to go his bench other than during his normal rotation - kept the starters on the floor- Luke Johnson ADDS to all of that talent/strength, when LJ puts a stiff arm to your chest as you are trying to get through the paint YOU "ain't" going in a straight line to your spot LOL ... disrupts the flow/timing of the offense and Johnson is only one of the starters(although he came off the bench last night/working his way back into the lineup, I didn't see any effect of his injury throughout his time on the floor) - they are all that strong - they have been taught well by Coach Kellough ... outstanding defensive coach is Coach K - he builds his programs from the defensive side first fundamentally (being physical - legally- on the defensive side, disrupting the offensive flow of the opponent, using the body not the hands ... Coach K coached teams are outstanding defensively - totally enjoy watching his teams on that end of the floor ) ... Cam Evans never gets rattled - he is the steadying influence on the floor - he is the guy who can "get his shot" - he's not "big" but he is "sturdy" "wide shoulders" he can get his shoulder by the defender and finish around the rim ... Adena is YOUNG ! all of that sophomore talent - in all ranges of basketball sizes ! LOL ... it's like going to the "Basketball Store" ! - you go down the aisles looking for height - they got it ... length - they got it ... height/length scoring on the perimeter - they got it ... height/length that can get inside/score inside - they got it ... as the year progresses the Adena Sophs will gain the varsity experience they need , they will mature on the court ... the "physical strength" will come between this season and next season - these youngsters are good AND ARE BASKETBALL PLAYERS not just athletes playing basketball ... good first post bandleader !

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

love watching Coach K's team play. his team is always very disciplined and play the way he wants them to, which is pretty good, he's got something special going on in ZT that's for sure

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Reds Fan wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:36 pm love watching Coach K's team play. his team is always very disciplined and play the way he wants them to, which is pretty good, he's got something special going on in ZT that's for sure
... I agree Reds Fan ... put Coach K's coaching system together with the players who can execute on the floor ? pretty darn good ... IF ZT were another player or 2 deep into the bench - now they look to go 6 deep without much drop off ... Coach Kellough I'm sure will work on getting another player involved, tough to do when all of the games are pretty meaningful at this point in the schedule hard to throw some one out on the floor and have them "dance" without stepping on toes so to speak ...

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:48 pm
Reds Fan wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:36 pm love watching Coach K's team play. his team is always very disciplined and play the way he wants them to, which is pretty good, he's got something special going on in ZT that's for sure
... I agree Reds Fan ... put Coach K's coaching system together with the players who can execute on the floor ? pretty darn good ... IF ZT were another player or 2 deep into the bench - now they look to go 6 deep without much drop off ... Coach Kellough I'm sure will work on getting another player involved, tough to do when all of the games are pretty meaningful at this point in the schedule hard to throw some one out on the floor and have them "dance" without stepping on toes so to speak ...
you're right, now is not the time to test the waters with anyone. a good time for that will be the summer into next school year. with the juniors now having all that varsity experience if coach K can find another player to fit into a role I could a deep playoff run brewing in ZT. I've seen their JV play once but do not remember to much about them sadly.

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

When you shoot over 70% for the game as a team, it is pretty hard not to win.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

25th Street NW wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:17 pm When you shoot over 70% for the game as a team, it is pretty hard not to win.
????

Return to “Boys Basketball”