Wheelersburg @ South Webster 1/8/19

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Wheelersburg @ South Webster 1/8/19

Post by art_vandelay »

Game definitely lived up to the hype...great atmosphere in Webster tonight and both teams came ready to play.

Blevins in foul trouble early and Webster did a great job stealing minutes in first half with Blevins on bench. 3rd quarter saw Webster go on a big run highlighted by a Blevins dunk and Tanner Voiers unconscious from deep to take a 47-38 lead. Trent Salyers hit a couple of huge 3-pointers and got burg back in game going into 4th. Tanner Holden took over game in 4th and Ashton clevenger hit some key buckets for pirates to come out win tough win in road.

Webster confirmed that they are a potential Regional (or beyond) D4 team with Blevins healthy. Burg showed they can handle the pressure of a tight game and never panicked when down in second half. Pirates gonna need more from Truitt though in postseason. Overall, great effort from both teams and should be a good one at Burg again in a few weeks.*

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

This was an excellent game . Agree Webster will be a handful in D4

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Wish I coulda been there! I told y’all webster was gonna give them burg boys all they wanted and a bologna sandwich!

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Excellent basketball game ! Glad I made the long trip down 93/140 to catch this one tonight ... was talking to a South Webster fan before the game he told me he didn't think it would be much of a game! I replied "I only go see good games" - neither teams disappointed ... haven't got time to do rundown BUT as has been posted already South Webster will be a handful in D4 - the injury to Blevins made the TEAM better as the other payers on the Jeeps squad are comfortable without him on the floor and do an excellent job of "putting points on the board" - Trae Zimmerman (8), Jacob Ruth (8), Brayden Bockway (16), Tanner Voiers (19) and Blevins finished with (11) ... Blevins was on the bench almost the entire 1st half of play and 3 minutes into the 3rd ... nice TEAM for the Jeeps ...

... the difference in the game imo was Wheelersburg's control of the boards at both ends ... on the offensive end 2,3,4 shots on goal per trip, very few 1 and done's ... Rebounding won this one tonight - wish I kept napkin stats on boards but the Burg had to have doubled up on the Jeeps on the boards ...

... 3 Pointers ... Wheelersburg threw up 26 threes making 8 while South Webster was 10 for 17 from down town ... FT's the Burg 16/17 ... the Jeeps had half the attempts 6/8 ...

... Shiloah Blevins on the bench early in the first until the last minute and a half of the 2nd hurt the Jeeps from the standpoint that Wheelersburg HAD it's big man on campus on the floor and SW did not - the full arsenal was not out there ...

... Holden is the real deal with 33 points ... nice to see a SEOhio big with perimeter skills actually play in the post - he is so active, quick off the floor... seems like every board is HIS at both ends ...

... can't give either team any defensive awards - Wheelersburg pushes the ball with the Burg team giving the boards to Holden with everyone else releasing the other way ... very quick all around team for the Pirates ...

Good game ! horrible trip home ! started with the Burg Bus blocking the exit from the parking lot ! then mother nature tossed out 45 mph winds and gusts to 50ish ... trash cans going through Oak Hill were flying across the road in front of me ... had to dodge downed tree limbs on Rte 63 in Vinton County ... geeeeessssseee ! ...

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

The biggest story in this one is voiers. I’m assuming he had a career night? I think most burg fans knew that this would be a good game. Webster always shoots well at their gym.

A couple of things

1. I think Burg wins by a bigger margin at their place
2. Blevins is amazingly athletic
3. Holden has a case for player of the year, maybe a finalist in mr Ohio basketball

Travel_ball
Waterboy

Post by Travel_ball »

wobycat wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 pm The biggest story in this one is voiers. I’m assuming he had a career night? I think most burg fans knew that this would be a good game. Webster always shoots well at their gym.

A couple of things

3. Holden has a case for player of the year, maybe a finalist in mr Ohio basketball
Voiers has had a couple of nice games this season, I think couple of 16 point games and a 19 point game plus tonight 20.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 pm The biggest story in this one is voiers. I’m assuming he had a career night? I think most burg fans knew that this would be a good game. Webster always shoots well at their gym.

A couple of things

Voiers has shot it well this season, I watched him at Waverly hit 2 or 3 three's in a row as well. He seems to show up in the big games.

Blevins is fun to watch! Hands down the best D4 player in SE Ohio this year, only competition would be Musick from Coal Grove.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Travel_ball
Waterboy

Post by Travel_ball »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:34 am

A couple of things

Voiers has shot it well this season, I watched him at Waverly hit 2 or 3 three's in a row as well. He seems to show up in the big games.

Blevins is fun to watch! Hands down the best D4 player in SE Ohio this year, only competition would be Musick from Coal Grove.
I wouldn't over look kimbler or sexton.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Travel_ball wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:12 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:34 am

A couple of things

I wouldn't over look kimbler or sexton.
Both great players in their own right. Sexton being a sophomore will lower his chances of District POY, but it's DEFINITELY something I see him winning either next year or his senior year. Great talent.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
FXboi13
Waterboy

Post by FXboi13 »

This game was capital L.I.T. I apologize to those who missed it!
It may be bias, but IMO the score is probably flip flopped (or worse) with Blevins not in foul trouble in this one (His 2nd wasn’t on him). I think he only had 10-12 or so. But a few NBA level swats as usual though. A lot of second chance points given up by the jeeps, they did not box out or rebound well last night. Overall a great win by the Pirates to keep their undefeated season alive in a hostile environment @ Webster. I look forward to the next contest between these two.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

FXboi13 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 am This game was capital L.I.T. I apologize to those who missed it!
It may be bias, but IMO the score is probably flip flopped (or worse) with Blevins not in foul trouble in this one (His 2nd wasn’t on him). I think he only had 10-12 or so. But a few NBA level swats as usual though. A lot of second chance points given up by the jeeps, they did not box out or rebound well last night. Overall a great win by the Pirates to keep their undefeated season alive in a hostile environment @ Webster. I look forward to the next contest between these two.
Respectfully disagree. Maybe he holds holden from scoring a little more but point production was picked up by voiers. I would agree with you had voiers not had a great game but he took those shots that blevins normally takes and blistered the nets. Plus Burg probably took too many three point shots. I think the score is about right. I think Burg is about 8 to 10 point favorite when these two play.

Side Note: Blevins is a freakish athlete that should look into high jumping.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Ready for Pfloyd's write up

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mattash wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:41 pm Ready for Pfloyd's write up
... I have to go back into work for a 5pm meeting - any rundown from last night's game will be later in the evening ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”