Attire

Hoopie74
SEOP

Attire

Post by Hoopie74 »

Starting a game I watched a couple of weeks ago the refs stopped the jumpball to start the game to have players remove undershirts that were not approved colors. At the same time both teams had players wearing shoes that were not team colors. Back in my old times the players all wore the same color and brand of shoes. Some schools allow any brand and color of shoes ,but; some schools still adher to strict color/ brand shoes.Your thoughts!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Attire

Post by Ironman92 »

Undershirts should be same colors and plain IMO and shoes should match/be similar

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

That is one of our pet peeves is if you play for a team you all should have same color shoes

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

NFHS Basketball Rules 3-5, 3-6 and 3-7 govern Player Equipment and additional apparel such as headbands, wristbands, undershirts and compression shorts.

Post by mikepike »

I personally like when teams have matching shoes.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I really don't care what color shoes they where.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Shoes is what I'm supposed to be watching?? This is a game changer for me as I'm watching the game, I should've been watching the SHOES.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

The day of a team looking and dressing alike or similar is pretty much going away.

The uniformity has been transitioned to individuality.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Hoggy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:21 am The day of a team looking and dressing alike or similar is pretty much going away.

For the most part this is accurate (unfortunately).

I don't really mind if players all have different shoes, but I've never understood why individuals would wear bright colors that aren't even close to matching their school colors (like bright pink shoes to go with a black and red jersey).

Watching SE Ohio basketball
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Hoggy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:21 am The day of a team looking and dressing alike or similar is pretty much going away.

The problem is two-fold: a) styles have evolved and expanded over the past 15-20 years, leading to greater diversity of shoe coloring and patterns – kids like what’s in fashion, they like what they like. b) they wear these shoes in open gym, they wear them in AAU, they wear them to the YMCA, and they wear them in showcases. They’re already accustomed to the shoes.

Frankly, I see no value in “everyone has to wear the same shoe.” Shoes are expensive. High school sports in general is both expensive and expansive of personal time and sacrifice. It’s bad enough that programs have pay-to-play / “sell ‘X’ amount of raffle tickets or eat the difference”. And I’m familiar with one instance where the team I follow did the “same shoe” idea and the shoes came in late, midway thru the season, and most of the kids didn’t like them and thought they were uncomfortable because of the cut on the ankle. Besides, coaches have bigger fish to fry than being the Foot Locker police for his team.

Fecal Oscillator
Waterboy

Post by Fecal Oscillator »

Part of the problem is parents and fans say they want their kids program ran like a small college. Yeah right! So they do dumb stuff like order expensive unis and make everyone wear the same shoe. This is a waste of time that should be spent on building character.

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

I think undershirts should be the same color of the jersey. That makes sense. If I'm wearing a white undershirt but an orange jersey, but the team I'm playing against has on white jerseys... that has the potential to create confusion

But shoes? Socks? Who cares. Everyone is different and different brands fit different bodies better. I could never wear Nike shoes or socks, my feet were too wide, my calves were too big, and the shoes gave me ingrown toenails. I was Under Armor or Reebok all the way. The one year we had "team" Nike shoes, I had to sit injured for multiple games because the shoes hurt my feet so bad, and that led to knee and back pain. Ever come out of a basketball game with a sock/foot soaked in blood? Have to change your socks at halftime? it's awful. Changed my shoes mid season.... no more issues.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

To play good you gotta feel good and to feel good you gotta look good! Dress em up!

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Uniform rules are the dumbest rules in history. Refs should be worried about calling the correct calls that impact a game, not whether Jonny has his shirt tucked in or that Greg’s undershirt might be a slightly different hue of blue than the others because he had to buy his undershirt at Walmart while the others could afford Eastbay. Safety issues(necklaces, bracelets, etc) are a different story.

I have been coaching varsity sport(s) for over a decade and guess which rules officials mess up the most? Uniform rules, because they tend to change every year. As long as everyone has the same shirt and shorts on, WHO CARES!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”