Waverly @ Oak Hill 1/8/18

522Pirate
Varsity

Re: Waverly @ Oak Hill 1/8/18

Post by 522Pirate »

Seems as though there may be a common denominator at work here...

joemama
Riding the Bench

Post by joemama »

This is rich coming from OH fans- because your coach has never ever said- done- acted inappropriate in his HOF career- L.......O......

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Oak Hill lead 15-12 after One
Waverly lead 29-23 at HALFTIME
Waverly lead 46-34 after Three
FINAL 57-48 WAVERLY

Both teams called for 2 fouls in the first half
Waverly called for 9 and Oak Hill 15 in the second half. Oak Hill had around 8 or 9 when they started fouling on purpose.

WAVERLY SCORING
Cobe Marquez 26 (14 first half, 5 threes for the game)
Ethan Dunn 13 (8 first half including a three)
Cody Remington 8
Trey Robertson 6 (2 threes)
Easton Wolfe 2
Payton Shoemaker 2

Waverly was 8 for 18 from the line, including 6 for 14 in the 4th. 2 of those were front ends of one and ones.
(have to do better then that down the stretch)

OAK HILL SCORING
Mason Darby 21 (17 second half,13 third quarter)
Chase Hammond 16 (14 first half)
Keaton Potts 4
Drew Hanning 4
Eric Kallner 3 (3 pointer in the 3rd)

Oak Hill was 4 for 6 from the line

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

smurray wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:29 pm Oak Hill lead 15-12 after One
Waverly lead 29-23 at HALFTIME
Waverly lead 46-34 after Three
FINAL 57-48 WAVERLY

Both teams called for 2 fouls in the first half
Waverly called for 9 and Oak Hill 15 in the second half. Oak Hill had around 8 or 9 when they started fouling on purpose.

WAVERLY SCORING
Cobe Marquez 26 (14 first half, 5 threes for the game)
Ethan Dunn 13 (8 first half including a three)
Cody Remington 8
Trey Robertson 6 (2 threes)
Easton Wolfe 2
Payton Shoemaker 2

Waverly was 8 for 18 from the line, including 6 for 14 in the 4th. 2 of those were front ends of one and ones.
(have to do better then that down the stretch)

OAK HILL SCORING
Mason Darby 21 (17 second half,13 third quarter)
Chase Hammond 16 (14 first half)
Keaton Potts 4
Drew Hanning 4
Eric Kallner 3 (3 pointer in the 3rd)

Oak Hill was 4 for 6 from the line
Good win. Thanks for the rundown.

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

People on here have said Waverly couldn’t shoot the 3 but they had to have made over 50% as a team tonight. They made 9 as a team compared to 2 for the Oaks by my count. The hot shooting forced the Oaks out of their zone and into man, which is a total mismatch as this Tigers team is super quick! The refs called around 5 charges on the Oaks and maybe 1 blocking foul which is perhaps a testament to how good Waverly’s defense is. The charges made the Oaks bigs’ preferred style of play very difficult and kinda stalled an offense that is very reluctant to take outside shots. Turnovers were an issue with both teams with many travels and throwaways each. This game was around a 5-6 point game for all of the final 2 minutes of the game with Oak Hill unable to convert on multiple chances due to missed free throws by Waverly. The atmosphere was amazing and makes me want to go to the second meeting between these two. I think both of these teams are very good and I don’t see too many more losses by either team before tournament time. And if Waverly can make even close to that amount of 3s consistently with their athleticism they are a tough out for anyone around.

As for the end of the game I don’t know who started it but it’s a bad look for both of them no matter what was said. The father and daughter involved should probably calm down though as their son/brother is a fantastic player and they have been pushed out of one nearby community already. However I’d like to point out that the actual players of both teams played respectfully of each other all game long which is what you want to see in such a hotly contested game

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

3sUp wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 pm People on here have said Waverly couldn’t shoot the 3 but they had to have made over 50% as a team tonight. They made 9 as a team compared to 2 for the Oaks by my count. The hot shooting forced the Oaks out of their zone and into man, which is a total mismatch as this Tigers team is super quick! The refs called around 5 charges on the Oaks and maybe 1 blocking foul which is perhaps a testament to how good Waverly’s defense is. The charges made the Oaks bigs’ preferred style of play very difficult and kinda stalled an offense that is very reluctant to take outside shots. Turnovers were an issue with both teams with many travels and throwaways each. This game was around a 5-6 point game for all of the final 2 minutes of the game with Oak Hill unable to convert on multiple chances due to missed free throws by Waverly. The atmosphere was amazing and makes me want to go to the second meeting between these two. I think both of these teams are very good and I don’t see too many more losses by either team before tournament time. And if Waverly can make even close to that amount of 3s consistently with their athleticism they are a tough out for anyone around.

As for the end of the game I don’t know who started it but it’s a bad look for both of them no matter what was said. The father and daughter involved should probably calm down though as their son/brother is a fantastic player and they have been pushed out of one nearby community already. However I’d like to point out that the actual players of both teams played respectfully of each other all game long which is what you want to see in such a hotly contested game
Good post

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

3sUp wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 pm People on here have said Waverly couldn’t shoot the 3 but they had to have made over 50% as a team tonight. They made 9 as a team compared to 2 for the Oaks by my count. The hot shooting forced the Oaks out of their zone and into man, which is a total mismatch as this Tigers team is super quick! The refs called around 5 charges on the Oaks and maybe 1 blocking foul which is perhaps a testament to how good Waverly’s defense is. The charges made the Oaks bigs’ preferred style of play very difficult and kinda stalled an offense that is very reluctant to take outside shots. Turnovers were an issue with both teams with many travels and throwaways each. This game was around a 5-6 point game for all of the final 2 minutes of the game with Oak Hill unable to convert on multiple chances due to missed free throws by Waverly. The atmosphere was amazing and makes me want to go to the second meeting between these two. I think both of these teams are very good and I don’t see too many more losses by either team before tournament time. And if Waverly can make even close to that amount of 3s consistently with their athleticism they are a tough out for anyone around.

When did anyone say Waverly couldn't shoot the 3?? People have said Waverly struggles in a half-court game from what I'm seeing of Waverly with a win like this and struggles in some other games their season may very well ride or die with the 3 point shot. They're struggle from the free throw line on most nights and that has to be something they fix you can't go 8-18 in high school especially if you plan on going anywhere come tourney time. The Valley game I watched had waverly up comfortably at the end until they went on to miss 7 straight free throws as Valley crept their way back into the game.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

For the last part of your post know your facts before u post

You can't handle the truth
Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Good win and congrats to the Tigers!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

So can anyone actually post a true account of what happened? It's so subjective at the moment that I honestly can't grip what really happened.

There's always 3 sides to each stories... in this case an Oak Hill side, a Waverly side, now someone please tell me the true story.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Vik wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:35 pm Sounds like Oak Hill lost and Oak Hill fans sitting behind Waverly bench ran their mouths a lot and Waverly coaches respond and Oak Hill fan got ticked and tried to take care of it.

Why would Waverly coaches do anything or even some haha taunting after a huge road win? I’d think they’d be celebrating.

Going to be hard to get this story without team bias.
As to the game, my prediction was way off. The Tigers lut the Chillicothe behind them.

As to the fan/player/coach dust up it seems SEOP has had a few reports of incidents throughout the season. Games in South Carolina have had increased police presence due to many similar incidents. A very sad commentary about the state high school sports.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Great game from the Tigers. Marquez was on fire. seven threes. 26 total. Didn't keep track but Remington must have had 15 rebounds including the one in the last minute off of the missed free throw that got him fouled and he made the two free throws to seal the win. Huge game by Dunn as well. Oak Hill played extremely well with Darby and Hammond both doing what they do best. I was very close to the incident but didn't realize what was going on until it was almost over. I will say this Darby's mom and dad were fired up about something. They were arguing with Waverlys coaches and the police officer stepped in between.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Wow, the shooting woes certainly weren't evident on Route 93 last night! Marquez lit it up!! The Oaks started in a box and one on Robertson, and Cobe made them pay with 26 points and 6 threes. Awesome! Dunn also played very well, scoring and passing the ball with efficiency. Remington played great D and went to the boards like an animal! I thought Shoemaker gave us great minutes playing suffocating D and also a couple of nice drives to the bucket. I would like to see him do more of this with his strength. Trey hit a couple of big shots as well, and I thought Smallwood did some nice things defensively.

Darby and Hammond are a handful. They got theirs', but we certainly made them earn it. It was a very intense environment, but as was said earlier, I thought the players all handled themselves with class. And, besides what happened at the end of the game, I thought the fans were very loud and intense but respectful (I'm not commenting on that b/c I have no idea what happened). There was one time during the game that both coaches were barking at the refs, and we were making the T sign trying to get Norm T'd up, and the Oaks crowd was doing the same to Travis. I looked across to their crowd and one of the Oak fans looked at me and was giving me the T sign and I was doing it to him...we both just busted out laughing. :) That's how it should be....be a proud supporter of your team but keep it real. This is a game with high school kids playing and cheering...I don't think many of them are going pro. lol I can't wait for the rematch at our place...will be a great one!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wondering why you would box an 1 Robertson at this stage of his varsity career. He’s been getting boxed and 1 since 4th grade....thought he’d get off of that his freshman and sophomore years.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 am Wondering why you would box an 1 Robertson at this stage of his varsity career. He’s been getting boxed and 1 since 4th grade....thought he’d get off of that his freshman and sophomore years.
Ironman, I think it's b/c we haven't really shown that we have somebody else who can hurt you from outside consistently. So, try to limit his touches and contest every shot that he does get off and take your chances with others beating you.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Great game to listen to on the radio. Waverly announcers do an awesome job! They do a nice job breaking down the game and personally I like how that get excited. :)

WHSgrad2000
Riding the Bench

Post by WHSgrad2000 »

Toast,
T-Fred and BK (the Waverly announcers) do an excellent job. They do get excited and don't lose track of the game or get so "out of hand" you can't understand them, which a lot of HS announces do. I went to college for Radio/TV and I can tell you they are in the top 3 HS announcing teams I have heard.
Last edited by WHSgrad2000 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

WHSgrad2000 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:23 pm Toast,
T-Fred and BK (the Waverly announcers) do an excellent job. They do excited and don't lose track of the game or get so "out of hand" you can't understand them, which a lot of HS announces do. I went to college for Radio/TV and I can tell you they are in the top 3 HS announcing teams I have heard.
I agree. They're really good. And entertaining :) Good luck in your Radio/TV career :) Where did you go to college for that? Just curious.

MaryEllen
Waterboy

Post by MaryEllen »

Could this be some of that #Karma, everyone has been hearing about?

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

MaryEllen wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 pm Could this be some of that #Karma, everyone has been hearing about?
What are you talking about?

Return to “Boys Basketball”