Athens (8-2) at Warren (7-3)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens (8-2) at Warren (7-3)

Post by 93Bulldog »

IMO, this game may mean a little more to Athens for seeding purposes. A loss drops the Dogs to (1-3) vs DII opponents. With the sectional already viewing the TVC as a 'weaker' league, Athens just can't afford to drop to 1-3 with not a lot of other opportunities to impress down the road. vs Jackson on Feb. 2nd will be about it.

With Sheridan being viewed as the proverbial No. 1 for a good chunk of the season, I have a hard time believing they will fall to the three unless they really start to struggle (which I doubt). In essence, the winner of this game may get the No. 1, but the loser probably drops to at least 3 and maybe further if it is in fact Athens.

Huge game for the 238675th time over the last 10 years. lol

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Think it will be packed? These teams still rivals?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

mattash wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 pm Think it will be packed? These teams still rivals?
It will be packed for the start of the freshman game

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Athens Bulldogs return to the hardwood and on Power 105.5 Friday when take on former SEOAL rival Warren at The Warrior Dome in Vincent. It's been 15 years since Athens beat Warren when Grant Gregory and Aaron Forte led the Dogs to an overtime win over the Warriors during the 2003/2004 season. Since then its been heartbreak after heartbreak for a lot of great Athens teams. The Austin Cunningham last second shot that knocked Athens out of the tournament in 2010. The overtime thriller at the Convo in the regional semi-finals when Athens was stacked with D1 athletes, including current Dayton Flyer Ibi Watson. The Michael Hall (no charge call) game winner at McAfee that hurt the Bulldogs in the seeding - and the Evan French 27 first half points game that knocked yet another loaded Athens team out of the post season in 2014. All told, the Warriors have bounced Athens from the tournament FIVE times in the last 10 years - and have dominated the regular season by winning every match-up since 2004. Friday's showdown can be heard live on 105,5FM or wxtq.com.
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 pm
mattash wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 pm Think it will be packed? These teams still rivals?
It will be packed for the start of the freshman game
Their freshman do things well

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

Warren by 8.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:54 pm
pfloyd wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:38 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:16 pm

I don’t always get concessions at Warren (or Logan) but doesn’t Warren have really good hot dog sauce?...or is that beyond the info you offer?
Warren concessions are all about the noodles 🍝...I know nothing about hot dog sauce- I do plain dogs LOL ... 2 dogs
And a water with a side of twizzlers... the Pfloyd Hoops Diet ...
I’m sure they are excellent but when I think of high school basketball game...I don’t think of concessions noodles
... I have no personal knowledge of "the noodles" - I just KNOW that others who attend/and order the said bowl of noodles - highly recommend them - not a basketball "side" that I want but to each his/her own ... "2 dogs plain & a water please" ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...looking forward to a good basketball game Friday night ! as well as meeting up with the Warren Coaching staff and Coach Cozart for Athens as well - all good people ... this will be my first look at Warren this season - missing will be that strong/crash the boards BIG or at least SEOhio "big" who in strong on the boards, physical in the paint at both ends ... but what IS still there is the Maddox "system" - disciplined , TEAM ball, movement on offense, solid fundamentals, take advantage of you in the transition game ... good perimeter scorers ... a defensive team that makes you work to score and a team which crashes the boards ... Warren is a good mix of seniors and underclassmen ! the talk before the season was the BBB would be a year away for being "special" ... the thing is - Warren has Coach Maddox/Coach Coffman/Coach Mitchem, Coach Colegrove not one of these gentlemen "wait" for "next year" LOL it's all about NOW ! we are putting a TEAM on the court and THESE players WILL be the BEST they can be within our system ... that's how a "supposed rebuilding year" turns into a 15+ win season AND the potential to get to Basketball :30 ...

... going to leave Logan about 3:30 to get there to find a seat in the Cheap Seat section ! going to need to wear the shorts as it will be just a tad warm in the Warrior Dome tomorrow night ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:51 pm ...looking forward to a good basketball game Friday night ! as well as meeting up with the Warren Coaching staff and Coach Cozart for Athens as well - all good people ... this will be my first look at Warren this season - missing will be that strong/crash the boards BIG or at least SEOhio "big" who in strong on the boards, physical in the paint at both ends ... but what IS still there is the Maddox "system" - disciplined , TEAM ball, movement on offense, solid fundamentals, take advantage of you in the transition game ... good perimeter scorers ... a defensive team that makes you work to score and a team which crashes the boards ... Warren is a good mix of seniors and underclassmen ! the talk before the season was the BBB would be a year away for being "special" ... the thing is - Warren has Coach Maddox/Coach Coffman/Coach Mitchem, Coach Colegrove not one of these gentlemen "wait" for "next year" LOL it's all about NOW ! we are putting a TEAM on the court and THESE players WILL be the BEST they can be within our system ... that's how a "supposed rebuilding year" turns into a 15+ win season AND the potential to get to Basketball :30 ...

... going to leave Logan about 3:30 to get there to find a seat in the Cheap Seat section ! going to need to wear the shorts as it will be just a tad warm in the Warrior Dome tomorrow night ...
Already got my 'courtside' seat reserved and ready to roll for Friday. Just left of the PA announcer. Only reason I took the job at Power 105 - free admission and courtside seats. lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:51 pm ...looking forward to a good basketball game Friday night ! as well as meeting up with the Warren Coaching staff and Coach Cozart for Athens as well - all good people ... this will be my first look at Warren this season - missing will be that strong/crash the boards BIG or at least SEOhio "big" who in strong on the boards, physical in the paint at both ends ... but what IS still there is the Maddox "system" - disciplined , TEAM ball, movement on offense, solid fundamentals, take advantage of you in the transition game ... good perimeter scorers ... a defensive team that makes you work to score and a team which crashes the boards ... Warren is a good mix of seniors and underclassmen ! the talk before the season was the BBB would be a year away for being "special" ... the thing is - Warren has Coach Maddox/Coach Coffman/Coach Mitchem, Coach Colegrove not one of these gentlemen "wait" for "next year" LOL it's all about NOW ! we are putting a TEAM on the court and THESE players WILL be the BEST they can be within our system ... that's how a "supposed rebuilding year" turns into a 15+ win season AND the potential to get to Basketball :30 ...

Already got my 'courtside' seat reserved and ready to roll for Friday. Just left of the PA announcer. Only reason I took the job at Power 105 - free admission and courtside seats. lol
... Perfect ! LOL ! see you tomorrow night 93dog !

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Live stream for Athens at Warren ... https://streamdb3web.securenetsystems.n ... lSign=WXTQ

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:31 am Coach Cozart just can’t get any respect it seems. I think he is 19-3 since mid season or so last year. 11-0 in actual TVC league play in that span. Having runs of 9-0 then a tough overtime loss to VC in the sectional last year. This year there were 2 early and tough losses to Gallia Academy( in the Loveday era-Lol) and Waverly. And now another run of 8-0 to sit at 8-2 overall and 6-0 in TVC-Ohio league play so far this year. What more does he have to do?
Agreed. His teams are always stronger at the end of the season.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Athens should come back home with a W. That's if they play a solid game . Warren tough at home . Watch out if one of the officials stands beside of the Warren coach most of the night . lol . Serious this should be a DANDY . Wanted to come but can not make it so I'll listen to Dog tonight. Good luck to both teams and have an injury free game.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Why does this game have a tournament game feel. Going to be INTENSE!!!

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

Warren freshmen demolish Athens, 64-21.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:14 pm Warren freshmen demolish Athens, 64-21.
Not surprised....they did things very well on the court

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Probably looking at an 8PM start
Just now half of JV

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

JV half, Whs 25, Ahs 21