Possible POY TVC-OHIO 2018/2019

VisionQuest
All State

Re: Possible POY TVC-OHIO 2018/2019

Post by VisionQuest »

So I have a good back story. Overheard some parents talking and found out that Justin Hynes from Athens who could have started last night for Senior night gave his spot up so that Gauge Penrod who is another Senior but doesn’t get much playing time, could get the start. I don’t know about the rest of you but to me that is Character. That is a POY in my eyes. Just my 2 cents.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:37 pm So I have a good back story. Overheard some parents talking and found out that Justin Hynes from Athens who could have started last night for Senior night gave his spot up so that Gauge Penrod who is another Senior but doesn’t get much playing time, could get the start. I don’t know about the rest of you but to me that is Character. That is a POY in my eyes. Just my 2 cents.
That is just like my story on my positive stories/sportsmanship thread

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:56 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:37 pm So I have a good back story. Overheard some parents talking and found out that Justin Hynes from Athens who could have started last night for Senior night gave his spot up so that Gauge Penrod who is another Senior but doesn’t get much playing time, could get the start. I don’t know about the rest of you but to me that is Character. That is a POY in my eyes. Just my 2 cents.
Yes!! That is a great topic by the way! Gauge had a great night last night also. Think he scored around 8.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:01 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:56 pm
Yes!! That is a great topic by the way! Gauge had a great night last night also. Think he scored around 8.
That’s a great moment for both of those young men

Maroon and gold
Waterboy

Post by Maroon and gold »

Unlike Athens, Meigs doesn't have 5 POY candidates. It's tough to defend a team with 5 POY candidates. Baer draws defenses focused on stopping him primarily. Still performs. That has to count for something.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Maroon and gold wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:10 pm Unlike Athens, Meigs doesn't have 5 POY candidates. It's tough to defend a team with 5 POY candidates. Baer draws defenses focused on stopping him primarily. Still performs. That has to count for something.
The few box scores I’ve seen Cleland has been excellent

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 pm
Maroon and gold wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:10 pm Unlike Athens, Meigs doesn't have 5 POY candidates. It's tough to defend a team with 5 POY candidates. Baer draws defenses focused on stopping him primarily. Still performs. That has to count for something.
The few box scores I’ve seen Cleland has been excellent
Cleland for sure a special player and only a freshman. I foresee him being a POY over next couple of years, Arbaugh is also young and already in the discussion. Baer has one more year and is a Frontrunner on many lists.

Maroon and gold
Waterboy

Post by Maroon and gold »

Cleland is a really solid player. No doubt. Still not the same as having 5-6 Athens POY candidates.
I guess my point is that having 5-6 quality players on one team makes it easier for individuals to shine. Typically the other teams in the TVC aren't double teaming or scheming to stop any one of them. Having a team with 2-3 players of that caliber affords the opportunity to primarily focus on 2-3 threats instead of 5. The 2-3 draw more defensive focus most nights.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Maroon and gold wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:38 pm Cleland is a really solid player. No doubt. Still not the same as having 5-6 Athens POY candidates.
I guess my point is that having 5-6 quality players on one team makes it easier for individuals to shine. Typically the other teams in the TVC aren't double teaming or scheming to stop any one of them. Having a team with 2-3 players of that caliber affords the opportunity to primarily focus on 2-3 threats instead of 5. The 2-3 draw more defensive focus most nights.
All true. On the flip side having 5-6 talented players and there is no way there are enough shots for everyone. With 1 or 2 they are always getting around 15 shots I’d guess.

If Baer can shine vs Athens he’ll definitely win.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I would not use the word definitely.
He's a good player, but hasn't separated himself that much.
The league also has a history of giving P.O.Y to the league champion.
Like I said earlier, who ever wins Friday in Albany has not only the inside track on the league championship, but the player of the year as well.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

To get away from scoring for a sec ...

Arbaugh lit Athens up in the first half for 18
Cozart put Maxfield on him in the 2nd and he scored just 3 points, including getting shut out in the 3rd.
The kid Logan guarded vs Marietta barely scored.
Mikey Seal had 18 vs Athens in first match up, Cozart puts Maxfield on him Friday and Seal barely scored at all.

The last 4 or 5 games he has been far and away Athens best defender and is being asked to guard opposing teams best player.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:34 am To get away from scoring for a sec ...

Arbaugh lit Athens up in the first half for 18
Cozart put Maxfield on him in the 2nd and he scored just 3 points, including getting shut out in the 3rd.
The kid Logan guarded vs Marietta barely scored.
Mikey Seal had 18 vs Athens in first match up, Cozart puts Maxfield on him Friday and Seal barely scored at all.

The last 4 or 5 games he has been far and away Athens best defender and is being asked to guard opposing teams best player.
Didn’t they put him on Baer too in the Meigs game? How did those two compare in that match? I can’t remember from the radio stream. I didn’t get to see the Vinton game or heat the Marietta game so that’s a pretty interesting fact.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Maxfield had 21 vs Meigs
Baer had 13 vs Athens

A lot riding on Athens vs Alex Friday ...

But Athens still has a game with Meigs remaining!

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Post by Swampfox13 »

It nice to look at players from offensive view only. The guy scores a basket only to give one at the other end. Caleb Terry avg of 11 points per game. From a defensive, the blocked shots and the abilty to make players alter their shots should mean something. There have been several games where he has 4-5 blocked shots.In addition, having him underneath allows the other players to be more aggressive on defense, knowing he has their back. Just a little food for thought.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Swampfox13 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 am It nice to look at players from offensive view only. The guy scores a basket only to give one at the other end. Caleb Terry avg of 11 points per game. From a defensive, the blocked shots and the abilty to make players alter their shots should mean something. There have been several games where he has 4-5 blocked shots.In addition, having him underneath allows the other players to be more aggressive on defense, knowing he has their back. Just a little food for thought.
I was gonna say Chubb has several blocks as well too for a Athens. I am assuming Eli Griffith as well. Like to see Chubb on Terry just to see how they match up against each other.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Swampfox13 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 am It nice to look at players from offensive view only. The guy scores a basket only to give one at the other end. Caleb Terry avg of 11 points per game. From a defensive, the blocked shots and the abilty to make players alter their shots should mean something. There have been several games where he has 4-5 blocked shots.In addition, having him underneath allows the other players to be more aggressive on defense, knowing he has their back. Just a little food for thought.
Jack Hart (Alexander) won POY by doing the things you just mentioned.

Had Caleb started the season a little better I think his name would be in the conversation right now.

Definitely be in the running next year, which could be very interesting. A lot of good players returning.

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Post by Swampfox13 »

One other Terry is 31 for 40 from free throw for 77%. Nice touch for big guy.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Next years POY thread may reach 20 pages ... lol

JK kearns
Caleb Terry
Weston Baer
Isiah Butcher
Coulter Cleland
Gavin Arbaugh

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Folks who think Athens will drop off the table after losing 4 key seniors will be wrong.
The Dogs have some pieces coming back, including 2 juniors who opted not to play this year but plan on returning in 2019/2020.
The JV team is (12-2) and loaded with players ready to take that next step.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:38 am Folks who think Athens will drop off the table after losing 4 key seniors will be wrong.
The Dogs have some pieces coming back, including 2 juniors who opted not to play this year but plan on returning in 2019/2020.
The JV team is (12-2) and loaded with players ready to take that next step.
If they are loaded they should start to schedule up to get them ready for Post Season . Except for a couple games their schedule is sub par . To get to the next level you have to push yourself . I know they are tied to the TVC ( which I think is a mistake ) but with the talent coming back and an excellant JV TEAM they should play better competition IMO.

Return to “Boys Basketball”