Possible POY TVC-OHIO 2018/2019

fortdawg
All Conference

Re: Possible POY TVC-OHIO 2018/2019

Post by fortdawg »

If the Player of the Year is truly an individual and not a team trophy.....Colby Bartley from Miller has to be mentioned in the conservation.

I coached this young man and he's a super kid---I add that so you'll know where I'm coming from but it doesn't matter---in this case the numbers don't lie.
THROUGH 16 GAMES

PTS. 343
REBOUNDS 100
ASSISTS 52
STEALS 45

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:54 am
Swampfox13 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 am It nice to look at players from offensive view only. The guy scores a basket only to give one at the other end. Caleb Terry avg of 11 points per game. From a defensive, the blocked shots and the abilty to make players alter their shots should mean something. There have been several games where he has 4-5 blocked shots.In addition, having him underneath allows the other players to be more aggressive on defense, knowing he has their back. Just a little food for thought.
I was gonna say Chubb has several blocks as well too for a Athens. I am assuming Eli Griffith as well. Like to see Chubb on Terry just to see how they match up against each other.
I wouldn’t change anything on the matchups. Just pay a little more attention to Kearns this time around. Hard to beat Butchers Wingspan-he shut Terry down last game. Mecum concerns me more than anyone from Alex. His defense is outstanding and been putting up consistent scoring numbers.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

fortdawg wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:36 pm If the Player of the Year is truly an individual and not a team trophy.....Colby Bartley from Miller has to be mentioned in the conservation.

I coached this young man and he's a super kid---I add that so you'll know where I'm coming from but it doesn't matter---in this case the numbers don't lie.
THROUGH 16 GAMES

PTS. 343
REBOUNDS 100
ASSISTS 52
STEALS 45
Great numbers!! However; this is for the TVC-OHIO POY

Johnstown
Riding the Bench

Post by Johnstown »

POY thread usually starts way before the season begins based on favoritism. Look at Athens last season that was a joke about who was the best. POY will go to the player on the winning team in the Alley bash. Do not count out Mecum, hard nosed gets the job done and is not getting easy baskets based on releasing early. Athens has Hynes doing all the dirty work down low. His boxing out gives others a chance to rebound. He is the senior that does not get the press playing with a bad back who gave his football team mate a chance to start on senior night. That is POY behavior. Kearns is also very very good.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Johnstown wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:07 am POY thread usually starts way before the season begins based on favoritism. Look at Athens last season that was a joke about who was the best. POY will go to the player on the winning team in the Alley bash. Do not count out Mecum, hard nosed gets the job done and is not getting easy baskets based on releasing early. Athens has Hynes doing all the dirty work down low. His boxing out gives others a chance to rebound. He is the senior that does not get the press playing with a bad back who gave his football team mate a chance to start on senior night. That is POY behavior. Kearns is also very very good.
Hynes would get my vote if I were a coach. But I value things other than scoring, offense.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Going to be tough one.. Last few games and who wins the league will decide. League seems to be down--- I would think Athens will be a step back next year and Alex, Vc and Meigs for next year. Vc is is building back---1 or 2 yrs away.
Alex should beat Athens ----play better as a team--but If they don't get Terry the ball(he has to have 20 pts each game) for Alex to win most games against good teams.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

It seems like the Ohio might be facing a logjam---the kid from Miller might be a good compromise candidate. :D

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Now that Athens shutdown Kearns and Mecum. We got any updates as to POY? This just got really interesting. Baer, Maxfield and Hynes are my top three.

Hynes and Maxfield have been steady. June’s with his strong effort and shut down stone Markins. And two key rebound in the 4th boxing Terry out.

Maxfield with gutsy comeback performance in 4th quarter with a big 3 and back to back layups and two key steals and assist to Williams after being crushed in the first quarter. Maxfield was also shutting down Kearns going into that play for 2 points and only gave up 2 points to Kearns before he had to come off the court.

Any idea how Baer did tonight? Baer has had a great season too. But it will be a big testimony if he plays well versus Athens next Friday. It will be an interesting matchup with Maxfield on Baer next Friday if they go man to man. I see Hynes potentially having a big game too. It’s been a great year for these guys, Arbaugh, Mecum, Seale. Going to be an interesting week.
Last edited by Allthewayup11 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Man it’s too Close to call! I want to see the last 2 TVC games. Meigs and Wellston are left for Athens.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 pm Now that Athens shutdown Kearns and Mecum. We got any updates as to POY? This just got really interesting. Baer, Maxfield and Hynes are my top three.

Hynes and Maxfield have been steady. June’s with his strong effort and shut down stone Markins. And two key rebound in the 4th boxing Terry out.

Maxfield with gutsy comeback performance in 4th quarter with a big 3 and back to back layups and two key steals and assist to Williams after being crushed in the first quarter. Maxfield was also shutting down Kearns going into that play for 2 points and only gave up 2 points to Kearns before he had to come off the court.

Any idea how Baer did tonight? Baer has had a great season too. But it will be a big testimony if he plays well versus Athens next Friday. It will be an interesting matchup with Maxfield on Baer next Friday if they go man to man. I see Hynes potentially having a big game too. It’s been a great year for these guys, Arbaugh, Mecum, Seale. Going to be an interesting week.
Meigs game tonight is not a TVC game.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I tell you I have been back and forth on this all year. Especially when it comes to Athens players because they are who I see the most and read about and see on the local cable. I’ve also liked the play of Baer, Kearns, Arbaugh, Mecum. Recently Hynes was at top of my list and still there. Maxfield has been there, Chubb has been there. Then I read somewhere a poster said the POY should be a player who does what’s best for the team and not worried about individual statistics. For that reason I have to put Chubb at the top, here is a 6’4” player who can play Point Guard and has had to step up many times this year and do that. His assist totals have to be up there, he rebounds, he blocks shots, maybe one of the best I have seen in the TVC. I recall he has stepped up in big games-16 in the 1st game against VC a 41-38 win. 11 in the 1st game against Alex and 14 in the game against Alex tonight. For these reasons right now Eli Chubb is the POY in TVC. Unselfish blue collar player.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Unfortunately for Eli, last nights game is pretty much irrelevant. Why? Because it's all about VOTING.
7 votes by 7 different coaches. That's how you win.

I think it's pretty much a given that ...

Coach Kearns will vote for J.K.
Hill will vote for Bear
Combs will vote for Arbaugh

Who Cozart votes for will be huge. Then you have Wellston, River Valley and Nelsonville-York. They will decide who wins player of the year. Kind of funny how that worked out, the three teams at the bottom of the league determines who wins P.O.Y ... Maybe even C.O.Y too.

Johnstown
Riding the Bench

Post by Johnstown »

Last post is accurate. For POY it is up to the Athens Coach who he decides to vote for.
Does he decide to choose Hynes or Chubb or Maxfield. One thing for sure Mickey Cozart deserves Coach of the year. Amazing record since the player change last season he has guided the Bulldogs to a 26 and 5 record. The man can coach.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:40 pm Unfortunately for Eli, last nights game is pretty much irrelevant. Why? Because it's all about VOTING.
7 votes by 7 different coaches. That's how you win.

I think it's pretty much a given that ...

Coach Kearns will vote for J.K.
Hill will vote for Bear
Combs will vote for Arbaugh

Who Cozart votes for will be huge. Then you have Wellston, River Valley and Nelsonville-York. They will decide who wins player of the year. Kind of funny how that worked out, the three teams at the bottom of the league determines who wins P.O.Y ... Maybe even C.O.Y too.
You can vote for your own kid to win? So it could actually be a 7 way tie? That’s so dumb

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The coaches are not that dumb, HamPorter

They usually do the right thing and vote for the player(s) most deserving. It's just an odd year where at least 4 players from 4 different teams could stake claim to the award.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 pm Now that Athens shutdown Kearns and Mecum. We got any updates as to POY? This just got really interesting. Baer, Maxfield and Hynes are my top three.

Baer had 20 Saturday. He is averaging 19.44 in league play and 19.83 over all

Crest
Waterboy

Post by Crest »

It is my understanding that you can nominate your own player but you can not vote for them.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The text I got from a TVC AD, and coach, was that you can in fact vote for your own player.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Curious to see how Baer does tonight at Athens.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 am Curious to see how Baer does tonight at Athens.
I talked about how Baer is my choice to win the award, but I think Logan Maxfield has a real opportunity to win the award tonight. check it out: https://soundcloud.com/luke-steiner-256 ... discussion

Return to “Boys Basketball”