SW Boys Coach

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Re: SW Boys Coach

Post by burgpirater »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:29 pm Board Meeting is Monday Night --- October 16th. No one has officially been hired yet. The expectation is that Brenton Cole will be the next head coach of The South Webster Jeeps. His assistants will be named as well and I believe it will be a very good coaching staff. Hopefully they can get this program back to the prominence they enjoyed under Coach Kreischer and Coach Ater who led the Jeeps to 6 District Championships in the 8 years they coached here. The Jeeps last District Championship came in 2013.
that looks like a not so subtle bash at the last coaching staff. I have a lot of friends in webster area who think Jeeps over-performed last few years with talent they had compared to previous years. Dont matter who is at helm if you don't have the horses you aint winning races!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

It wasn't written that way. I think the last coaching staff did fine with the talent they had.

The goal should always be a district championship at South Webster. The Jeeps came very close last year. The SOC 2 is a different proposition entirely. But that schedule helps when the Jeeps get to Tournament time.

Just pointing out history. The Jeeps had a remarkable run (keep in mind Reese had 2 years in the middle) in that 10 year period. It would be nice to get back to that level and win a few more district championships!!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 am It wasn't written that way. I think the last coaching staff did fine with the talent they had.

The goal should always be a district championship at South Webster. The Jeeps came very close last year. The SOC 2 is a different proposition entirely. But that schedule helps when the Jeeps get to Tournament time.

Just pointing out history. The Jeeps had a remarkable run (keep in mind Reese had 2 years in the middle) in that 10 year period. It would be nice to get back to that level and win a few more district championships!!
I agree on all points. While the Jeeps won't have any seniors, I don't see anything in SE Ohio D4 that the Jeeps COULDN'T beat (not saying they will, but there's nobody light years ahead of them). With Shiloah Blevins, they'll have a shot at any D4 opponent around they face. That kid is going to be special.

The last staff did a good job of restructuring the biddy program so the next 5-6 classes should have pretty good talent. Both JH teams will be good this year. I could most definitely see a good run these next 5-6 years with (hopefully) a few district championships.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

lucasdavenport and bbjunky: agreed on a District championship being the realistic goal every year for Webster as long as they in D4. As for next year, I see Webster around .500 in a solid SOC II, but more than capable of winning a D4 District Championship with the best SeOhio D4 player in Shiloah Blevins. They are loaded with talent all the way down to 4th grade from what I've seen, so a couple of trips to Regionals next few years is not out of the question. Overall, I'm pleased with the effort that Coach Fenton and his staff put in over the last few years, and now am willing to support Coach Cole, Coach Scott, and whoever else rounds out the staff.*

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

I think it's pretty well known Webster's new coach is Brenton Cole. I feel that is a great choice and well deserved. I do have a question, should the school board, who makes the ultimate decision, allow the new coach to pretty much name his assistants?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I think most coaches around in most sports name their assistants. I think the board should have to review those choices and approve of them, but I don't think the board should be the ones looking for the assistants.

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

I agree.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

South Webster definitely allows Brenton to pick his assistants. Their administrators are former SW basketball coaches. This is common and Webster does the same.

They named him Head Coach Monday Night. Connor Scott was named his Varsity Assistant. Brenton and Connor met and talked at length before the Board Meeting.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk

Return to “Boys Basketball”