SEOPS Hippo

Re: 1/15 Alexander @ Vinton County

Post by Ironman92 »

Interesting game

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

be close due to coaching--VC has it--Alex not so much. Just wish I could be there. Will be hard played game by both.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I think this game is at the Alley? Didn’t ALEX pull out an OT win at VC early this season?

Ljm1720
Waterboy

Post by Ljm1720 »

Alexander 72
Vinton Co 42

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Ljm1720 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:02 pm Alexander 72
Vinton Co 42
:o

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I know Alex is good and VC is not where they have been talent wise..but thought It would be a close game. Congrats to Alexander on a nice win!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Wow! I thought Alexander would win, but not by that margin.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I too, was surprised by the margin. However, not to take anything away from the Alexander victory, Eli Griffith went down with an ankle injury in the 2nd quarter. I don't think it was a 30 point difference. But, he is a very valuable piece to the Vikings offense and defense.

Also, Caleb Terry finally played to his 6'11" potential. I believe that he was averaging about 9 points a game going into this game and scores 21. He probably had a half dozen blocks, and key rebounds. If he can play like that, they will be a tough out in the districts.

Their senior role players, Markins, Mecum, and Riley all had big moments, I guess they were tired of getting beat by Vinton County, so they stepped up, which included a 3 from Riley at 30 feet from the basket in the closing seconds of the 3rd.

Good win for them. Good luck Alex. We will move onto Athens.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I didn’t see a blowout at VC

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 pm I too, was surprised by the margin. However, not to take anything away from the Alexander victory, Eli Griffith went down with an ankle injury in the 2nd quarter. I don't think it was a 30 point difference. But, he is a very valuable piece to the Vikings offense and defense.

Also, Caleb Terry finally played to his 6'11" potential. I believe that he was averaging about 9 points a game going into this game and scores 21. He probably had a half dozen blocks, and key rebounds. If he can play like that, they will be a tough out in the districts.

Their senior role players, Markins, Mecum, and Riley all had big moments, I guess they were tired of getting beat by Vinton County, so they stepped up, which included a 3 from Riley at 30 feet from the basket in the closing seconds of the 3rd.

This was the first game I have seen where Alex intentionally fed Caleb the ball. the second half was a show of what that kid could do if Alex fed the post more. Really nice game.

The game was very close for the first quarter and and a half. The pace of the game was slow and both teams struggled to score. When Eli went down VC had no answer to Terry in the post, but it was really foul shooting and big shots that move the game to a 12 point half time lead. The second half was all Caleb Terry and a much faster pace game. The faster pace benefited Alexander with their depth and team speed.

When was the last time Vinton won in the Alley? Not sure how you can say the seniors were tired of losing to VC.

Go Alex!

Local legend
Waterboy

Post by Local legend »

spartans_fan wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:21 pm
hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 pm I too, was surprised by the margin. However, not to take anything away from the Alexander victory, Eli Griffith went down with an ankle injury in the 2nd quarter. I don't think it was a 30 point difference. But, he is a very valuable piece to the Vikings offense and defense.

This was the first game I have seen where Alex intentionally fed Caleb the ball. the second half was a show of what that kid could do if Alex fed the post more. Really nice game.

The game was very close for the first quarter and and a half. The pace of the game was slow and both teams struggled to score. When Eli went down VC had no answer to Terry in the post, but it was really foul shooting and big shots that move the game to a 12 point half time lead. The second half was all Caleb Terry and a much faster pace game. The faster pace benefited Alexander with their depth and team speed.

When was the last time Vinton won in the Alley? Not sure how you can say the seniors were tired of losing to VC.

Go Alex!
VC won at the Alley last season in overtime.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

Local legend wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Go Alex!
Alexander is 4-4 verses VC in the past four years. The current seniors have known more success against VC than most classes and teams have in the past 20 years. Speaks to the success of VC and of this senior class.

Go Alex.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

spartans_fan wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:28 pm
Local legend wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Go Alex!
Alexander is 4-4 verses VC in the past four years. The current seniors have known more success against VC than most classes and teams have in the past 20 years. Speaks to the success of VC and of this senior class.

Go Alex.
Alexander High School is a difficult place to pick up a win. Regardless of how good your team is. They have a nice set up that is pretty unique and shooting at the student section in the second half normally gives teams problems. Good luck to Alex the rest of the way.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Sounded like the Terry kid dominated VC on both ends of the court. 21 points and 5 blocks

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I was told by somebody at the game--if Alex would have gave the Terry boy the ball--he could had 50.

Return to “Boys Basketball”