Re: OHSSA letter to parents

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:25 pm You are returning to ornery in 2019
I’ll trim it back a little

nodumpinpike
Riding the Bench

Post by nodumpinpike »

Little, did you transfer your kid back to Piketon and they put him on JV? Varsity doesn’t have a #22

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Piketon, Illinois

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

nodumpinpike wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm Little, did you transfer your kid back to Piketon and they put him on JV? Varsity doesn’t have a #22
Are you a referee?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mlittle wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:32 pm
nodumpinpike wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 pm Little, did you transfer your kid back to Piketon and they put him on JV? Varsity doesn’t have a #22
Are you a referee?
Please don’t use my name on here. This is a site where you can stay anonymous if u choose and I’d like to be able to do that. Thank you for your understanding and respecting my privacy

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Ironman92: Im only 36. LOL Also, I will add 1 more thing then shut up! I feel coaches can control the crowd in a way as well. When a coach gets all crazy and jumping up and down, the players and fans feed off of that and add fuel to the fire! When a coach is in control and coaching then usually the fans will say their piece and move on! Some very good veteran coaches know this tactic. Some younger coaches, not so much! LOL

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 pm Ironman92: Im only 36. LOL Also, I will add 1 more thing then shut up! I feel coaches can control the crowd in a way as well. When a coach gets all crazy and jumping up and down, the players and fans feed off of that and add fuel to the fire! When a coach is in control and coaching then usually the fans will say their piece and move on! Some very good veteran coaches know this tactic. Some younger coaches, not so much! LOL
Cool, then I’m 34

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 pm Ironman92: Im only 36. LOL Also, I will add 1 more thing then shut up! I feel coaches can control the crowd in a way as well. When a coach gets all crazy and jumping up and down, the players and fans feed off of that and add fuel to the fire! When a coach is in control and coaching then usually the fans will say their piece and move on! Some very good veteran coaches know this tactic. Some younger coaches, not so much! LOL
I'm 61 and there are more than a couple older good veteran coaches over the years that liked to get the fans involved and weren't and aren't wallflowers on the bench. (I won't name names but 2 coaches had the "stomp" tactic nailed very well, another used the "turn your back to the refs" a lot, another used the "flinging arms" up and down the bench, all at different vital times to keep the fans involved. Even a couple that carried "towels" had an ulterior motive for it at times. Ha!!!!!)
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
E High
All State

Post by E High »

Miss those days. Fans understand and it was usually harmless for the most part. Now most coaches don’t get excited about much. Some people used to come to see the players and coaches. Now it’s like going to the library most of the time.

Big Bob
Waterboy

Post by Big Bob »

No, they're still at Unioto, thank goodness.

As a former official, I'd agree that parents are about the same as they were 20+ years ago. The players, however, at least from my vantage point, are worse. Though I miss it, I don't think I'd want the hassle you get now.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 pm I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Fans are no different when it comes to yelling at referees now than they were 50 years ago. Fans haven’t gotten worse. We’re the same idiots yelling “3 seconds” “call it both ways” “that’s over the back” etc that were yelling it 50 years ago. What’s changed is the sensitivity of the officials and the general public. Everyone getting their feelings hurt way too easy. There isn’t a single referee that puts on the pin stripes that isn’t aware of the abuse that comes with the job. Here’s an idea. Just focus on getting better at your job and block out the nonsense, you’re professionals. If getting yelled at by passionate fans causes you that much grief then hang up the sneakers and do something else with your time. After reading that letter from ohsaa I’m making it my personal mission to yell at refs even more

Here’s another thought. Maybe parents are worse and it’s because the quality of the officiating has gotten so bad. Maybe the letter should read OHSAA letter to officials.
One could say the same thing about people who pull their kids from their home school to find greener pastures. I mean, maybe little "Mikey" or little "Johnny" should just get better and not have his feelings hurt. After all its "no different than it was 50 years ago". But today, some people want to act like fools, blame others and tell some to toughen up, yet the first adversity you are taking your kids somewhere easier. Some just need to practice a Little of what they preach.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:23 am
mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 pm I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. Fans are no different when it comes to yelling at referees now than they were 50 years ago. Fans haven’t gotten worse. We’re the same idiots yelling “3 seconds” “call it both ways” “that’s over the back” etc that were yelling it 50 years ago. What’s changed is the sensitivity of the officials and the general public. Everyone getting their feelings hurt way too easy. There isn’t a single referee that puts on the pin stripes that isn’t aware of the abuse that comes with the job. Here’s an idea. Just focus on getting better at your job and block out the nonsense, you’re professionals. If getting yelled at by passionate fans causes you that much grief then hang up the sneakers and do something else with your time. After reading that letter from ohsaa I’m making it my personal mission to yell at refs even more

Here’s another thought. Maybe parents are worse and it’s because the quality of the officiating has gotten so bad. Maybe the letter should read OHSAA letter to officials.
One could say the same thing about people who pull their kids from their home school to find greener pastures. I mean, maybe little "Mikey" or little "Johnny" should just get better and not have his feelings hurt. After all its "no different than it was 50 years ago". But today, some people want to act like fools, blame others and tell some to toughen up, yet the first adversity you are taking your kids somewhere easier. Some just need to practice a Little of what they preach.
There, there now Bandit. We can't be making little Joey cry. He's only 17 for gosh sakes and he always got a trophy in pee wee ball. So he should start now cause he's a senior and all seniors should get to start even if they're no good. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
thebarlowbandit
All State

mlittle wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:03 am

"You're professionals"

Let's see....In my group of officials we have a salesman, an accountant, an OTA, an IT guy, several teachers, some students, and a couple other miscellaneous careers. So no, we are not professionals. We are people that are out there because we love the game. We are not out there to have every Tom, Dick, and Harry that is sitting 150 feet from the play yelling at us.

This is my first year doing this. I am nearly 60 games in. I have not given a single technical. I have not ejected anyone. I have thick skin. But parents and people are so much worse than they 15-20 years ago. I have coached 2 years prior to this. I have seen it from both sides. I am 36 years old. It is so much worse than it was when I played. If you don't see it then you aren't looking.

If the officiating has gotten so bad, please message me. I will personally pay your $60 to take the class next fall. Then you can come across and give it a shot and improve the quality throughout Southeastern Ohio.
They’re paid to do a job which is the definition of a professional.

I’m 39 and 7/8ths and I remember parents yelling at officials and getting thrown out of games at no different rate than they are now.

I would take you up on that $60 but just like voting, one person doesn’t make a difference.
Given a chance to make a difference but then cowers behind the keyboard....probably looking for a new school.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

You mad bro?

thebarlowbandit
All State

koondoger wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:26 am

There, there now Bandit. We can't be making little Joey cry. He's only 17 for gosh sakes and he always got a trophy in pee wee ball. So he should start now cause he's a senior and all seniors should get to start even if they're no good. :mrgreen:
Exactly, and do you find it ironic that a grown man on here who says officials should have tougher skin moves his kids because he himself doesn't have tough skin. Wants others to deal with crap, yet won't deal with crap himself. I think we call this hypocrisy.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

Bandit,

Exactly!

Here's a letter a cry baby parent wrote to send to the OHSAA in response to the letter:

" Dear Jerry,

Why don't you start, instead of writing me a letter, by holding refs accountable. Come on down and watch a game at Racine Southern, Waterford, Belpre, Wellston, River Valley, South Gallia, Alexander etc... and tell me that ain't cheating. When a ref favors one team over another sanction their assez and maybe they'll stop doing it. Then the parents just may get off their backs. Until then, we'll keep screaming and spitting on them."

This guy should be ashamed. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:31 am

Exactly, and do you find it ironic that a grown man on here who says officials should have tougher skin moves his kids because he himself doesn't have tough skin. Wants others to deal with crap, yet won't deal with crap himself. I think we call this hypocrisy.
I’m just posting my opinion which is what these forums are for. 2 people have different opinions and they post or debate the topic.

Id say my skin is pretty thick. I read and listen to idiots like you about my personal situation and don’t comment on it much I just let y’all have your fun. And the reason behind that is because we’re at peace with the decision we’ve made and my children are happy and thriving. So have your fun with me my skin is plenty thick enough

thebarlowbandit
All State

mlittle wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 am

I’m just posting my opinion which is what these forums are for. 2 people have different opinions and they post or debate the topic.

Id say my skin is pretty thick. I read and listen to idiots like you about my personal situation and don’t comment on it much I just let y’all have your fun. And the reason behind that is because we’re at peace with the decision we’ve made and my children are happy and thriving. So have your fun with me my skin is plenty thick enough
I'm just stating my opinion as well, you find it fine to bash others and say they should have thicker skin, while you obviously suffer the same malady that you seem to hate. And sure, just make kids happy, they should never have to endure a little adversity! Just cut and run at the quickest sign of adversity, and then you wonder why you think people under 30 are so fragile! It's because people like you make the youth of America soft, then you bellyache about why the youth of America is soft.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:46 am
mlittle wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 am

I'm just stating my opinion as well, you find it fine to bash others and say they should have thicker skin, while you obviously suffer the same malady that you seem to hate. And sure, just make kids happy, they should never have to endure a little adversity! Just cut and run at the quickest sign of adversity, and then you wonder why you think people under 30 are so fragile! It's because people like you make the youth of America soft, then you bellyache about why the youth of America is soft.

Very well said! I agree with u 100% on everything. I apologize for my past behavior and will be better moving forward. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and making me see the error of my ways.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

well this is an interesting topic lol

Return to “The Off season”