Athens v. Alexander Round 2

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Re: Athens v. Alexander Round 2

Post by Truth&fiction »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:15 pm
spartans_fan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm This will be an interesting matchup. Style favors Athens, I think if Alexander can find a way to speed the game up and extend the benches of both teams that give us the best chance to win.

slowdown game verses the zone Athens 43-40. up tempo both teams playing 9 deep, Alexander 62 - 55.

Go Alex.
Does Athens go Zone, 3-2 or man to man? If Man to Man, who do u put on Mecum and Kearns? I know Kearns scores the brunt of the point for Alexander last time. Based on Bulldogs93, info last few games Maxfield covering the key player, so do you put him on Mecum or Kearns with the assumption Williams covers the other. How did Mecum do against Maxfield head to head last time? I believe he covered him when they went man and Williams had Kearns. Any thoughts on putting Chubb on Terry? Or do you double down with Butcher and Hynes pushing him out of the lane. Doubtful Terry u give away to many points inside so going to be up to the transition offense and outside shooting so Butcher, Chubb and Markins might need to get hot from the outside. Rest on Tuesday and the shooting display vs Nelsonville and Woods academy might have been a good thing for their confidence outside.
Buttttt it’s at Alexander, a difficult crowd, refs seem to be a yearly factor and everyone is going to be on edge to score. It will take all the Bulldogs scoring and GREAT passing to win this.
If Athens starts with a Zone or go to one they will loose . Athens a Zone team from what I hear . Coach knows that . IMO

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Didn't Athens play a lot of zone and beat Alexander by 10 already? lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

FRIDAY'S GAME CAN BE HEARD LIVE ON POWER 105.5FM

Lukas Moore and Ryan Boyd with the call.

Online link ... https://streamdb3web.securenetsystems.n ... lSign=WXTQ

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

By the looks of this sectional ... Alexander REALLY needs this win Friday.

Jackson High School, Pat Stevens, Mgr., 312 Vaughn Street, Jackson, 45640 B: 740-286-7575
Schools: Alexander, Belpre, Chesapeake, Crooksville, Eastern (Beaver), Fairland, Ironton, Meigs, Minford, Nelsonville-York, Oak Hill, Rock Hill, South Point, Wellston, Wheelersburg. (15)

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Good luck to Alex. Knock the big fish out of your pond. Athens would be in a close race for the basement of the seoal this year. Maybe they can drop down to the hocking next year if they lose this one.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

TVC wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:18 am Good luck to Alex. Knock the big fish out of your pond. Athens would be in a close race for the basement of the seoal this year. Maybe they can drop down to the hocking next year if they lose this one.
Why the bitterness???

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:06 am Didn't Athens play a lot of zone and beat Alexander by 10 already? lol
Sorry Dog , I reread post what I meant was if Athens goes to a man they would loose. IMO The zone is their strength and their coach knows that . Now that's just an opinion . I think the matchup favors Athens staying in their zone . Sorry for the confussion .

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

I think a lot of the game will dictate on how Athens guards JK Kerns. if they completely take him out of the flow of the game I don't think Alex will be able to function. I would assume Williams or Maxfield will guard him. I think if Athens is successful In shutting him down they will win by 10. I think Alex is a great team but without JK to run the offense and set a tempo I don't know if they can win. with this being said though Athens still has to shut him down and play an incredible game to win in the ally. this should be the best game in the TVC all season. it has all the makings for a classic.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Reds Fan wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:13 am I think a lot of the game will dictate on how Athens guards JK Kerns. if they completely take him out of the flow of the game I don't think Alex will be able to function. I would assume Williams or Maxfield will guard him. I think if Athens is successful In shutting him down they will win by 10. I think Alex is a great team but without JK to run the offense and set a tempo I don't know if they can win. with this being said though Athens still has to shut him down and play an incredible game to win in the ally. this should be the best game in the TVC all season. it has all the makings for a classic.
I agree and with that being said I would put Williams on Kearns without question. Kearns is lightning quick and you need Williams on him who is also lighting quick. Williams has to watch the REACH IN FOULS!! Too many times he goes for that steal and gets fouls called on him and has to sit out valuable minutes. I like Maxfield on Mecum without a doubt-2 of the best defenders in the TVC!!

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:23 am
Reds Fan wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:13 am I think a lot of the game will dictate on how Athens guards JK Kerns. if they completely take him out of the flow of the game I don't think Alex will be able to function. I would assume Williams or Maxfield will guard him. I think if Athens is successful In shutting him down they will win by 10. I think Alex is a great team but without JK to run the offense and set a tempo I don't know if they can win. with this being said though Athens still has to shut him down and play an incredible game to win in the ally. this should be the best game in the TVC all season. it has all the makings for a classic.
I agree and with that being said I would put Williams on Kearns without question. Kearns is lightning quick and you need Williams on him who is also lighting quick. Williams has to watch the REACH IN FOULS!! Too many times he goes for that steal and gets fouls called on him and has to sit out valuable minutes. I like Maxfield on Mecum without a doubt-2 of the best defenders in the TVC!!
if Athens decides to run a zone I don't really know if it would work as well as man to man. I don't know about a 2-3 zone working against them. I mean call me crazy but Maybe a 1-3-1 wouldn't be bad. you have the perfect man in Williams to run the top and a great heads up defender in Maxfield to play the bottom to get out on their shooter, Riley I do believe his name is, put butcher in the middle and he can help down with Terry. put Hines and their other guard on the wing spots. the only spot I could see causing a problem in this would be if Alex gets the ball in the corner to draw out the bottom guy and send Terry to the block. the middle man of the zone could take that away and the top guard would fill in his spot till the ball is reversed back. will they do this no way but it's just a thought. lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens plays a 3-2 (or 1-2-2) match up zone a lot.

Like I said earlier, you'll probably see Athens use a lot of different looks depending on who is on the floor.

When Markins or Whiting enters the game, their dynamic changes a bit.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Vision that a strong match up, but i am taking odds that they put Williams on Mecum this time and Maxfield on Kearns. I think Kearns had a big game last game even though Athens won. They had Williams on him when the broke to man to man briefly in that game. If he can draw a few charges and not get the rando reach ins on JK it will be a good match up either way.
I think if Athens runs 1-2-2 or 3-2 they might be in trouble if they get it into Terry and he finds the open cutter on the edge. Just my opinion.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:40 pm
Vision that a strong match up, but i am taking odds that they put Williams on Mecum this time and Maxfield on Kearns. I think Kearns had a big game last game even though Athens won. They had Williams on him when the broke to man to man briefly in that game. If he can draw a few charges and not get the rando reach ins on JK it will be a good match up either way.
I think if Athens runs 1-2-2 or 3-2 they might be in trouble if they get it into Terry and he finds the open cutter on the edge. Just my opinion.
You may be right. Kearns had a good night tonight I just read. At half of the Oak Hill Game he already had 16 with 4 3s. Wonder what he finished with. It seems they were running mostly Zone the 1st half of that 1st game then went to man in the 3rd if memory serves me correctly. They will have to keep an eye on Riley, he can get hot on 3 pointers especially at the Alley. Hit 4 or 5 on Athens down there a couple years back.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:44 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:23 am I agree and with that being said I would put Williams on Kearns without question. Kearns is lightning quick and you need Williams on him who is also lighting quick. Williams has to watch the REACH IN FOULS!! Too many times he goes for that steal and gets fouls called on him and has to sit out valuable minutes. I like Maxfield on Mecum without a doubt-2 of the best defenders in the TVC!!
You may be right. Kearns had a good night tonight I just read. At half of the Oak Hill Game he already had 16 with 4 3s. Wonder what he finished with. It seems they were running mostly Zone the 1st half of that 1st game then went to man in the 3rd if memory serves me correctly. They will have to keep an eye on Riley, he can get hot on 3 pointers especially at the Alley. Hit 4 or 5 on Athens down there a couple years back.
Just hope the refs let them play but call a clean game. When they don’t the game tends to get out of hand and chippy.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:15 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:44 pm
Just hope the refs let them play but call a clean game. When they don’t the game tends to get out of hand and chippy.
Do they use an assigner? Don’t want to be going in there 10 down.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Kearns with 37 tonight with 10 3’s

j/k

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

:lol: :mrgreen:

93Bulldog