Chillicothe 56 Washington CH 26 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Chillicothe 56 Washington CH 26 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Chillicothe 56
Washington CH 26 a final

... Coach Huffer's Cavs NEEDED to defend the Hat tonight - and DID ! ... holding the Blue Lions of Coach Scott to but 26 points for the game - zero FGs in the 4th period of action ONLY 2 points in the quarter ... the quarter breaks looked like this :

Qtr ......1 ....2......3......4

Cavs .....6 ...20 ...37 ....56
Lions.... 6....12 ...24 ....26

... Chillicothe more than defended the home court vs Court House as the Cavs defense shutdown the Blue Lions ... an anemic 1st quarter offensively by both teams ... each had 4 turnovers in the opening period ...Brandon Noel netted 2 fgs /Jayvon Maughmer 2 pts for the Cavs while 3 Blue Lions seniors opened the Blue Lion scoring Evan Upthegrove/Blaise Tayese/Omar Porter each 1 fg/2 points in the quarter ... Chillicothe 6 Washington CH 6 end of 1 ... in the context of tonight's game the Cavs "blew open" the game with a 14 points quarter while holding WCH to another 6 points as lefty Chris Postage drained 2 triples from the left wing and sub Christian Benson played quality minutes for Coach Huffer off the bench with a nice drive across the lane for 2 pts (3 in the qtr) ... Chillicothe 20 Washington CH 12 at the half ... the Blue Lions got back into the game in the first 2 minutes of the 3rd as Omar Porter/Richie Burns connected for 6 points to narrow the margin to 6 points before the Cavs went on their own 6 point run by Vincent Roper/Jayvon Maughmer to right the ship and extend the lead back to 10-12 points ... that was as close as the Blue Lions would get the rest of the way as Chris Postage nailed his 3rd trey of the game, Brandon Noel dropped 6 pts around the rim and Benson continued to be a pleasant surprise at both ends of the floor adding another bucket for good measure in the 3rd ... Chillicothe 37 Washington CH 24 after 3 ... as it turned out we could have called this one after 3 as the Cavalier D forced 7 Blue Lion turnovers in the 4th (making it 20 for the game) 2 of which ended with Noel slamming home transition baskets for the highlight reel ... subs for both sides finished the closing 2 minutes with the Cavs winning the battle of the subs as well 8-0 with both Eli Taylor and J'Quan Harris adding 4 points each for CHS ... Chillicothe 56 Washington CH 26 a final

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Wasshington CH

Scoring ... Omar Porter 9, Evan Upthgrove 4, Blaise Tayese 4, Richie Burns 4, Garitt Leisure 3, Miguel Oflaherty 2
3 Pointers ... 1/12
FTs ..... 5/11
TOs .... 20
PnP ... 8fgs/16 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/2 points in transition

... Court House was outgunned tonight ... not enough weapons vs a very good Cavalier Defense ... 20 TOs kept the Blue Lions from getting more shots on goal while the Cavs big man in the middle Brandon Noel made most trips down court "one and done" as the Cavs BIG cleared the boards all night ... on the positive side the Blue Lions do not lack effort at either end of the floor - tonight effort vs a better Cavs TEAM wasn't enough - as you still have to put the ball in the basket ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Chillicothe

Scoring ... Brandon Noel 17, Jayvon Maughmer 9, Chris Postage 9, Christian Benson 7, Vincent Roper 4, J'Quan Harris 4, Eli Taylor 4, Tre Beard 2
3 Pointers ... 3/12 ... Chris Postage 3
FTs ..... 3/6
TOs .... 17
PnP .... 20 fgs/40 points in the paint
PnT .... 7fgs/14 points in transition

... not going to lose too many games if your defense holds your opponent to 26 points on the night ... no FGs given up in the 4th period only 14 points total in the 2nd half (12 in the first half) ... when you think of the Cavs offensively Maughmer/Noel come to mind ... then if there are 3 pointers made - Tre Beard ... tonight ? Maughmer & Noel did what I expected but I was pleasantly surprised with Chris Postage being a 3 point threat knocking down 3 triples (he didn't hesitate, all 3 in the flow of the offense) ... Christian Benson off the bench ! 7 points - looked like he was supposed to be on the court - aggressive at both ends of the court ... imo BOTH Postage and Benson NEED to step up as they did tonight to open up the floor for THE true offensive scoring weapons for the Cavs - Maughmer/Noel/Beard ... good game ! great defensive effort for the Cavs ! I'll be back to the Hat at least once more as the Cavaliers will host the current #1 team in the SE District my Logan Chieftains on Jan. 29th - looking forward to THAT Tuesday night match-up !

Good to run into LucasDavenport tonight ! as I've posted many times over the past 3-4 years your son Coach Connor Scott IS an outstanding coach - I was impressed with him when he was a Chillicothe and nothing has changed with Coach Scott being at Washington CH - he is doing good things for the Blue Lions ... always good to say hello to Coach Huffer and Coach Beard for Chillicothe before tipoff ... excellent coaches and even better people - thanks for not giving me the "signal" tonight ! LOL ... see you both on the 29th back at the Hat ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Re: Chillicothe 56 Washington CH 26 a final

Post by bvmv4life »

Good win for the Cavs.....they have been playing alot better since scrapping original offense and defense has been just nasty all the way around...I seen ya sitting up in the "Cheap Seats" with ya LSU Burrow Jersey on....I do starting line ups and scorebook for the Cavs or I would've spoke to ya....see ya on the 29th and Go Cavs!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Very impressive win for the Cavs. They are playing very well after the slow start.

Washington will be fine, just have to find some more offense now, but defense always gives you a shot. So as long as they keep defending, they’ll be alright.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... took a closer look at the Napkin Stats from the game last night, wanted to see what if any differences there has been for the Cavs in the 3 games I've seen them play (Washington CH Gm#1 Loss/Logan Gm #2 Loss/ Washington CH Gm#3 Win) ... the loss at Washington CH was the last pre- "throw out the new offense" game , a 41-47 loss : not much movement in the offense, offense was pushed out above the top of the key, 11fgs in the paint - CHS seemed content to have to take a perimeter shot ...LOTS of individuals trying to create their own shot off the dribble ... Brandon Noel got very few touches in the flow of the offense ... the Chillicothe bench was non-existent "0 points off the bench" ... Chris Postage didn't even look for his shot - as a matter of fact in the first 2 outings I watched the Cavs Postage had 2 points (a putback bucket in the WCH game) ... the defense was still very good Cavalier man to man - lots of quickness - only 2 fgs in transition in the first 2 gms (WCH/Logan) ...

Improvements by the 3rd game I've seen Chillicothe play:

* Offensive movement via the pass, little perimeter dribbling, cutting/picks/screens, everyone on the offensive end gets touches in the FLOW of the offense ...

** Offensive movement allows more involvement on the offensive end by ALL 5 players on the court - Postage looked for HIS shot (3 treys vs WCH last night) ... due to the offensive movement - no matter who is in the game /EVERYONE gets touches in the FLOW of the offense which gets points from the bench (last night 15 points from the bench) ... Christian Benson 7 points in prime time off the bench ...

*** Defensive pressure on the perimeter forced TOs ... 7fgs in transition/14 points in transition ... transition buckets get you separation on the scoreboard ... especially when the Cavs have a BIG man in Brandon Noel who runs the floor, great hands, has body control and hops to finish at and above the rim (2 dunks last night for transition buckets) ...

... areas needing improvement : TOs ! 17 last night of which 10 were "unforced" errors - traveling or bad passes ... continue to get Benson IN the game as he provides yet another scoring threat ... keep getting Postage looks in the FLOW of the offense ... give the lefty the green light to be just a little more selfish with the ball and his shot ... with both Postage & Benson becoming scoring threats it will keep opponents more honest in defending the CAVS Big 3 scoring threats - Maughmer/Noel/Beard ...

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:50 pm ... took a closer look at the Napkin Stats from the game last night, wanted to see what if any differences there has been for the Cavs in the 3 games I've seen them play (Washington CH Gm#1 Loss/Logan Gm #2 Loss/ Washington CH Gm#3 Win) ... the loss at Washington CH was the last pre- "throw out the new offense" game , a 41-47 loss : not much movement in the offense, offense was pushed out above the top of the key, 11fgs in the paint - CHS seemed content to have to take a perimeter shot ...LOTS of individuals trying to create their own shot off the dribble ... Brandon Noel got very few touches in the flow of the offense ... the Chillicothe bench was non-existent "0 points off the bench" ... Chris Postage didn't even look for his shot - as a matter of fact in the first 2 outings I watched the Cavs Postage had 2 points (a putback bucket in the WCH game) ... the defense was still very good Cavalier man to man - lots of quickness - only 2 fgs in transition in the first 2 gms (WCH/Logan) ...

* Offensive movement via the pass, little perimeter dribbling, cutting/picks/screens, everyone on the offensive end gets touches in the FLOW of the offense ...

** Offensive movement allows more involvement on the offensive end by ALL 5 players on the court - Postage looked for HIS shot (3 treys vs WCH last night) ... due to the offensive movement - no matter who is in the game /EVERYONE gets touches in the FLOW of the offense which gets points from the bench (last night 15 points from the bench) ... Christian Benson 7 points in prime time off the bench ...

*** Defensive pressure on the perimeter forced TOs ... 7fgs in transition/14 points in transition ... transition buckets get you separation on the scoreboard ... especially when the Cavs have a BIG man in Brandon Noel who runs the floor, great hands, has body control and hops to finish at and above the rim (2 dunks last night for transition buckets) ...

... areas needing improvement : TOs ! 17 last night of which 10 were "unforced" errors - traveling or bad passes ... continue to get Benson IN the game as he provides yet another scoring threat ... keep getting Postage looks in the FLOW of the offense ... give the lefty the green light to be just a little more selfish with the ball and his shot ... with both Postage & Benson becoming scoring threats it will keep opponents more honest in defending the CAVS Big 3 scoring threats - Maughmer/Noel/Beard ...
Pfloyd, just wanted to thank you for all that you have done for our area with your napkin stats, southeast team info (below the Lancaster Dixon line) game by game info, player info.... you name it. I’ve read a lot of your posts and you are a class act. I don’t think anyone on this forum could do what you do as well as you do it. Just my opinion.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Spartan12 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:55 am
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:50 pm ... took a closer look at the Napkin Stats from the game last night, wanted to see what if any differences there has been for the Cavs in the 3 games I've seen them play (Washington CH Gm#1 Loss/Logan Gm #2 Loss/ Washington CH Gm#3 Win) ... the loss at Washington CH was the last pre- "throw out the new offense" game , a 41-47 loss : not much movement in the offense, offense was pushed out above the top of the key, 11fgs in the paint - CHS seemed content to have to take a perimeter shot ...LOTS of individuals trying to create their own shot off the dribble ... Brandon Noel got very few touches in the flow of the offense ... the Chillicothe bench was non-existent "0 points off the bench" ... Chris Postage didn't even look for his shot - as a matter of fact in the first 2 outings I watched the Cavs Postage had 2 points (a putback bucket in the WCH game) ... the defense was still very good Cavalier man to man - lots of quickness - only 2 fgs in transition in the first 2 gms (WCH/Logan) ...

Pfloyd, just wanted to thank you for all that you have done for our area with your napkin stats, southeast team info (below the Lancaster Dixon line) game by game info, player info.... you name it. I’ve read a lot of your posts and you are a class act. I don’t think anyone on this forum could do what you do as well as you do it. Just my opinion.
... Spartan12 - thank you ... thank you for "the read" - sometimes I think I might be the only one reading what I post LOL ... I like to think I "do it right" when posting about the kids, the coaches, the schools ... from the #72 team to the #1 team - those kids, coaches work hard, put in long hours to do the best they can FOR their school, team, & their coaches ... I for one feel privileged to be able to watch the kids,coaches & teams and yes post about what I see based on what I know about the sport that I truly enjoy - high school hoops ... I'm NO EXPERT that's for sure BUT I KNOW what good basketball looks like imo ... I'm also not so arrogant to believe that I just might be wrong sometimes either LOL ... I have been doing this now for about 19 seasons - I love it ! ... I hope THAT comes across in my game rundowns, my every day posts ... I have met soooo many great fans of the game - posters as yourself - put that together with the players, players' families , the coaches across SEOhio that I have had the pleasure to meet - I've had some wonderful messages from coaches/players' family members over the years thanking me for what I have said about their sons (THAT'S when I know I'm doing something right) ... and when fellow SEOPsters as yourself - post a compliment about what I do ? - I thank you again for giving my posts "a read" your "opinion" is greatly appreciated and valued ... post on Spartan12 ...

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

Your posts do not go unnoticed and I believe it really touches a lot of people in a good way. Keep it up pfloyd. We need more people in the world like you . Again, just being honest. Stay warm and off of the roads today if you can.

Return to “Boys Basketball”