Wheelersburg @ Waverly, Friday, 2/1/19

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Wheelersburg @ Waverly, Friday, 2/1/19

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Wow, you guys are a little defensive and really bad at this ID thing. On the girls side I’m acussed of being a Portsmouth Official, on this thread I’m another official, when in reality, I’m a petrochemical engineer out of the Marietta area who just finds the childish griping about officials bad for the game. I’m sure a couple of you guys would need a defibrillator to even get up and down the floor.

Wburgfan
Waterboy

Post by Wburgfan »

Good observation woby. Only thing is Burg is #2 in Division in the AP. Don’t see them moving up at all since they have been there since the first ranking. Don’t see Pfloyd even giving them a boost to 1 in his even with the undefeated record.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 pm WHEELERSBURG SCORING
Mullins 21 (5 threes)
Holden 14 (6 in the 4th)
Salyers 13
Truitt 7
McCorkle 5
Miller 4
J. Salyers 3
Darnell 2
Wheelersburg was 10-15 from the line and shot around 50% FG's

WAVERLY SCORING
Marquez 15
Wolfe 9
Dunn 9
Robertson 6
Shoemaker 4
Remington 3
Waverly was 11-23 from the line and around 30% FG's missing many in the paint.

Turnovers were pretty even and 15 & 16.
Waverly with more offensive rebounds and Wheelersburg with more defensive rebounds and that's indicative of the shooting % of both teams.
You cant shoot that poorly from the line or the field and expect to win.

Good solid win by the Pirates and I look for them to make a very deep tournament run, possibly final 4.
I believe they are the best team Waverly has faced all year, including Chillicothe - would love to see that game.

Waverly has to put this one behind them and start preparing for a very good Jackson team coming in Tuesday. That game will have a lot to say about the D2 seeding.
To many missed layups and here it is big game time and Waverly is just terrible from the line. At this point Waverly is a team that beats the teams they are supposed to beat and can't muster enough in the tank to beat teams that are on their playing level or even above them. Struggles in the half-court offense have to be a real concern. If a team has a guy or 2 that can handle the constant ball pressure you can almost chalk Waverly up for a "L". Not sure what the answer is for them, as pretty much you are what you are. They are going to have nights where the 3 can carry them but when they're not hitting they're a team that is going to score 35-40 points and get beat by double digits because of the lack of half court offense. Good luck to them but honestly unless they catch fire come tourney time I'm not really sure how far this team can go. As for burg really only 1 game left on the schedule that could give them a hiccup and prevent them from going undefeated but that game is at home and I look for them to handle business relatively compared to the first game against SW.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:53 am Had to sleep on it before I commented on this one. Read all the post game comments so I’m going to bullet point what really went down last night.

- Jv game was a good one. Both waverly and burg will be battling it out for a couple of years

- Waverly game plan. Take Holden’s limbs off each time he had ball. Get him in foul trouble or worse maybe a technical and off the court. Waverly successful in that part. He still had a double double and played two quarters.

- waverly struggles with teams that can guard. They look lost on who is going to take over. Marquez did a pretty good job at times and Wolfe but that’s it.

- Officials were inconsistent for both teams all night. Both teams were getting down right hammered at times but then they’d call a cheap one 30 ft from the basket.

- subs at the end. Ater immediately put his bench in like after one play. I don’t think he was paying that much to what waverly coach was doing

Other than that, burg showed why they are number 3 in the state and should move up. They can score 1-5. Their bench is solid, and they have a D1 basketball player.
Pretty much spot on, Waverly missing easy shots and going 11-23 from the line isn't going to win many games. However, it sure will lose you a bunch of them.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:29 am Wow, you guys are a little defensive and really bad at this ID thing. On the girls side I’m acussed of being a Portsmouth Official, on this thread I’m another official, when in reality, I’m a petrochemical engineer out of the Marietta area who just finds the childish griping about officials bad for the game. I’m sure a couple of you guys would need a defibrillator to even get up and down the floor.

Just how many Burg games have you watched over the years in which Schwartzel has officiated? He has always called a bad game towards Burg and it would be interesting to know why. I do not ever remember a Burg team playing against him so maybe it was something a coach or player said to him many moons ago and he can’t seem to let it go!

Also, I said nothing about his stamina of runnng up and down the floor so not even sure what that means.

I’m not sure he made one call last night against Waverly, he is that one sided.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

greygoose wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:13 am
smurray wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 pm WHEELERSBURG SCORING
Mullins 21 (5 threes)
Holden 14 (6 in the 4th)
Salyers 13
Truitt 7
McCorkle 5
Miller 4
J. Salyers 3
Darnell 2
Wheelersburg was 10-15 from the line and shot around 50% FG's

WAVERLY SCORING
Marquez 15
Wolfe 9
Dunn 9
Robertson 6
Shoemaker 4
Remington 3
Waverly was 11-23 from the line and around 30% FG's missing many in the paint.

Turnovers were pretty even and 15 & 16.
Waverly with more offensive rebounds and Wheelersburg with more defensive rebounds and that's indicative of the shooting % of both teams.
You cant shoot that poorly from the line or the field and expect to win.

Good solid win by the Pirates and I look for them to make a very deep tournament run, possibly final 4.
I believe they are the best team Waverly has faced all year, including Chillicothe - would love to see that game.

Waverly has to put this one behind them and start preparing for a very good Jackson team coming in Tuesday. That game will have a lot to say about the D2 seeding.
To many missed layups and here it is big game time and Waverly is just terrible from the line. At this point Waverly is a team that beats the teams they are supposed to beat and can't muster enough in the tank to beat teams that are on their playing level or even above them. Struggles in the half-court offense have to be a real concern. If a team has a guy or 2 that can handle the constant ball pressure you can almost chalk Waverly up for a "L". Not sure what the answer is for them, as pretty much you are what you are. They are going to have nights where the 3 can carry them but when they're not hitting they're a team that is going to score 35-40 points and get beat by double digits because of the lack of half court offense. Good luck to them but honestly unless they catch fire come tourney time I'm not really sure how far this team can go. As for burg really only 1 game left on the schedule that could give them a hiccup and prevent them from going undefeated but that game is at home and I look for them to handle business relatively compared to the first game against SW.

Burg has never played well at SW

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:14 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:53 am Had to sleep on it before I commented on this one. Read all the post game comments so I’m going to bullet point what really went down last night.

- Jv game was a good one. Both waverly and burg will be battling it out for a couple of years

- Waverly game plan. Take Holden’s limbs off each time he had ball. Get him in foul trouble or worse maybe a technical and off the court. Waverly successful in that part. He still had a double double and played two quarters.

- waverly struggles with teams that can guard. They look lost on who is going to take over. Marquez did a pretty good job at times and Wolfe but that’s it.

- Officials were inconsistent for both teams all night. Both teams were getting down right hammered at times but then they’d call a cheap one 30 ft from the basket.

- subs at the end. Ater immediately put his bench in like after one play. I don’t think he was paying that much to what waverly coach was doing

Other than that, burg showed why they are number 3 in the state and should move up. They can score 1-5. Their bench is solid, and they have a D1 basketball player.
Pretty much spot on, Waverly missing easy shots and going 11-23 from the line isn't going to win many games. However, it sure will lose you a bunch of them.
Waverly was put in position to compete last night but couldn’t put the ball in the basket.
Waverly got to the rim and the foul line but couldn’t knock down the easy shots and FT’s.
I think I heard they were 11 for 38 from the field or something like that (maybe that was inside inside the arc).... Waverly did a decent job defensively but when you can knock down shots there’s absolutely no way you are going to beat the Burgs of the world.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:41 am
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:29 am Wow, you guys are a little defensive and really bad at this ID thing. On the girls side I’m acussed of being a Portsmouth Official, on this thread I’m another official, when in reality, I’m a petrochemical engineer out of the Marietta area who just finds the childish griping about officials bad for the game. I’m sure a couple of you guys would need a defibrillator to even get up and down the floor.

Just how many Burg games have you watched over the years in which Schwartzel has officiated? He has always called a bad game towards Burg and it would be interesting to know why. I do not ever remember a Burg team playing against him so maybe it was something a coach or player said to him many moons ago and he can’t seem to let it go!

Also, I said nothing about his stamina of runnng up and down the floor so not even sure what that means.

I’m not sure he made one call last night against Waverly, he is that one sided.
Not very many, didn’t see last nights either, however it’s the exact same story from you people every game, every sport. Gets old. All you need to do is swap names of officials and just copy paste your post.

The stamina comment was for you, you couldn’t make it up and down the floor.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

langra wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:17 am I normally don't like to talk about officiating but it was equally bad on both sides. 36 fouls called in one game is ridiculous (19 the first half and 17 the second). People pay to watch a ball game not 3 officials take the game out of the kids hands.
Jenkins didn’t make too many whistles. Did he whistle more than 5-6 fouls all game?

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

Someone said it here first and I agree, it’s hard to call a game like that one. You could literally call a foul on every play. The better team won, officiating didn’t determine the outcome, all you can ask. Waverly shot horrendous from the field and free throw line, credit the defense and just having an off night.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:46 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:14 am

Waverly was put in position to compete last night but couldn’t put the ball in the basket.
Waverly got to the rim and the foul line but couldn’t knock down the easy shots and FT’s.
I think I heard they were 11 for 38 from the field or something like that (maybe that was inside inside the arc).... Waverly did a decent job defensively but when you can knock down shots there’s absolutely no way you are going to beat the Burgs of the world.
OUCH, yeah and it just makes things that much harder as the game goes on. It becomes a mindset against good teams when you keep struggling to score the easy ones then you fall farther behind and find yourself forcing up 3s.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

123xxx wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 am Someone said it here first and I agree, it’s hard to call a game like that one. You could literally call a foul on every play. The better team won, officiating didn’t determine the outcome, all you can ask. Waverly shot horrendous from the field and free throw line, credit the defense and just having an off night.
LOL, you have to check little closer, no one said the officiating determined the outcome at all. They're saying the officiating kept burg from winning by more than the 23 points they won by, lol. Everyone knows the better team won, but the argument from the winning side is they should've won by more, lol.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

As a neutral observer last night I thought the officiating was fine.

I said this last night and I will repeat it. The only thing that made me shake my head is that after the 3rd quarter burg had 7 fouls and Waverly had 1. The 7 for Burg were fine. The 1 for Waverly was a little of allowing the team down by 20 to get away with a little more. You see this often. The refs are league assigned. It was a good crew.

I will also say this. Holden gets O favors. They beat on him most of the night and rightfully so — not saying I wouldn’t do the same thing if I was coaching Waverly or against Burg cause I absolutely would — but the refs allow him to get roughed up a little more then I would expect. You would think he would get preferential treatment because of his ability or possibly be treated like everyone else by a good crew. I’ve seen it lean the other way a little. He definitely does not get the star treatment.

It’s interesting that sometimes in this area we tend to eat our own a little. We’ve been fortunate to have him and his talent in the SouthEast district and most not from Wheelersburg— in my opinion — seem to be very quick to look for a reason to not like him. Put that kid in the Columbus or Youngstown/Akron area and he’s appreciated. It reminds me of the old guard major leaguers who treasure the unwritten rules of the game and at the same time wonder why the country is moving away from it.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I've had the pleasure to have seen many many many of the best players in the SE District this season - not all for sure but many - of the "many" Tanner Holden is at the top of the list ... he handles the ball, distributes the ball, rebounds the ball, takes a beating, in the games I have seen he "takes" the beating ... the kid imo IS the best I've seen this season ... Wheelersburg has shown that as a TEAM they can STILL get it done on the court with Holden on the bench AND with Truitt ON THE BENCH ... when I first saw the Burg I EXPECTED to see "the Holden Show" - the burg is far from a one man show or a 2 man show ... the Burg is one of the best TEAMS I have had the pleasure to have seen this season ... I have said it before - Logan and Wheelersburg are close to mirror images of each other ... I give the edge on defense to the Chiefs ... I give the offensive edge to the Burg ... we should ALL be excited to have the opportunity to see the teams we have at the top of the Elite 8 this season - good basketball, excellent players ... good coaching ... going to be fun to sit down and look at this past weeks game outcomes and come up with the Elite 8 ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

And FWIW....I think Ater is improving too, not that he was bad but I think he’s coached a good game the last several times I’ve watched Burg.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

greygoose wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:56 pm
123xxx wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 am Someone said it here first and I agree, it’s hard to call a game like that one. You could literally call a foul on every play. The better team won, officiating didn’t determine the outcome, all you can ask. Waverly shot horrendous from the field and free throw line, credit the defense and just having an off night.
LOL, you have to check little closer, no one said the officiating determined the outcome at all. They're saying the officiating kept burg from winning by more than the 23 points they won by, lol. Everyone knows the better team won, but the argument from the winning side is they should've won by more, lol.

No where did I say the officiating had anything to do with last nights game, my beef was with Schwartzel! He has never called a good game when officiating a Burg game. He loves to pick
On the Burg’s star players.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Ed Ott wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:35 pm Holden will get 2 fouls early and then get two more in the 3rd and Waverly will be amped up and on fire.

Waverly 63
Da Burg 51
Here for my crow. I nailed the first part but Waverly couldn’t score. Wheelersburg was far and away the better team. I thought Burg was timid on defense under the basket after all the fouls as to not foul more. That allowed Waverly some air and some buckets. Waverly was permitted to play more physical for sure. Holden was being pounded by the smaller guard and it was a very fine line he was teetering as to not get called fora foul trying to hold his ground, once he passed those tests they did call a few fouls on Waverly. The YouTube ref calls it so darn early. No way can you blow the whistle the moment of contact and not miss some calls. He has to be anticipating greatly. Why not see play and call it after you see it? I wasn’t impressed by him.

For a couple of reasons I was hoping Waverly would win but after watching from rim height, I think Wheelersburg was a good bit more dominant than the scoreboard dictated. I was very very wrong in my outcome prediction. Burg was better than I thought.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm As a neutral observer last night I thought the officiating was fine.

I said this last night and I will repeat it. The only thing that made me shake my head is that after the 3rd quarter burg had 7 fouls and Waverly had 1. The 7 for Burg were fine. The 1 for Waverly was a little of allowing the team down by 20 to get away with a little more. You see this often. The refs are league assigned. It was a good crew.

I will also say this. Holden gets O favors. They beat on him most of the night and rightfully so — not saying I wouldn’t do the same thing if I was coaching Waverly or against Burg cause I absolutely would — but the refs allow him to get roughed up a little more then I would expect. You would think he would get preferential treatment because of his ability or possibly be treated like everyone else by a good crew. I’ve seen it lean the other way a little. He definitely does not get the star treatment.

It’s interesting that sometimes in this area we tend to eat our own a little. We’ve been fortunate to have him and his talent in the SouthEast district and most not from Wheelersburg— in my opinion — seem to be very quick to look for a reason to not like him. Put that kid in the Columbus or Youngstown/Akron area and he’s appreciated. It reminds me of the old guard major leaguers who treasure the unwritten rules of the game and at the same time wonder why the country is moving away from it.

Very good post! My question is does Blevins at SW get treated like that? He’s a pretty high profile player. Like I said earlier you don’t see that kind of Bumping in street ball, at least not in the 25 plus years I played. No way it should go on in organized ball. I remember Andrew Burledon’s Junior at Burg, they played Belpre in the District final and they put a guy that was around 5’11” on him and he did everything but undress Burleson that night. Guess who one of the officials was? Mr. Schwartzel.

I’m sure Tanner can’t wait to get to college where, like you said he will be appreciated.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Ed Ott wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:51 pm
Ed Ott wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:35 pm Holden will get 2 fouls early and then get two more in the 3rd and Waverly will be amped up and on fire.

Waverly 63
Da Burg 51
Here for my crow. I nailed the first part but Waverly couldn’t score. Wheelersburg was far and away the better team. I thought Burg was timid on defense under the basket after all the fouls as to not foul more. That allowed Waverly some air and some buckets. Waverly was permitted to play more physical for sure. Holden was being pounded by the smaller guard and it was a very fine line he was teetering as to not get called fora foul trying to hold his ground, once he passed those tests they did call a few fouls on Waverly. The YouTube ref calls it so darn early. No way can you blow the whistle the moment of contact and not miss some calls. He has to be anticipating greatly. Why not see play and call it after you see it? I wasn’t impressed by him.

For a couple of reasons I was hoping Waverly would win but after watching from rim height, I think Wheelersburg was a good bit more dominant than the scoreboard dictated. I was very very wrong in my outcome prediction. Burg was better than I thought.
Which one is the Youtube ref?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:59 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm As a neutral observer last night I thought the officiating was fine.

Very good post! My question is does Blevins at SW get treated like that? He’s a pretty high profile player. Like I said earlier you don’t see that kind of Bumping in street ball, at least not in the 25 plus years I played. No way it should go on in organized ball. I remember Andrew Burledon’s Junior at Burg, they played Belpre in the District final and they put a guy that was around 5’11” on him and he did everything but undress Burleson that night. Guess who one of the officials was? Mr. Schwartzel.

I’m sure Tanner can’t wait to get to college where, like you said he will be appreciated.
Tanner definitely gets officiated differently than other players in this area. It’s refreshing to watch burg games when they play outside of the area to see him officiated fairly. Looking at it another way though tanner often doesn’t do himself any favors with some of his actions.

Return to “Boys Basketball”