Chillicothe 52 Logan 47 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Chillicothe 52 Logan 47 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Chillicothe 52
Logan 47 a final

... Going into tonight's game - it looked like it WOULD be a good high school basketball game ... my #1 vs my #3 ... the only two D1 schools in the SE District ... throw in a couple of 6-5'ish swing men who are the heart & soul of their TEAMS ... add to the mix 2 of the best 3 point shooters Below the Lancaster-Dixon line ... how COULD this one miss being good ??? ... excellent game ... one of the few times a "can't miss game" was AS GOOD AS advertised ... ALL of the components talked about in the pregame were on display : Maughmer vs Myers (Maughmer 20 pts vs Myers 23 pts) ... Beard vs Cassady (Beard 9 pts/1 trey vs Cassady 13 pts/4 treys) ... that brings us to the 3rd matchup : Brandon Noel vs Caleb Bell ... 6-7 vs 6-1 ... Logan already had Myers (6-5) on Maughmer (6-6) ... the Purple had no matchup with Noel sizewise , in the end this was the matchup that Chillicothe was able to exploit as the Cavs Big Man put up 16 points on the night 10 of those points on putback buckets on the blocks ... Chillicothe was able to get into the paint (17 fgs/ 34 Points in the paint) while Logan got to the rim for only 7fgs/14 points in the paint for the game ...

... the opening quarter showed both teams being deliberate, disciplined, patient with the basketball ... 2 quick, stingy defenses that gave very little ... both teams "established" their games - Chillicothe with Brandon Maughmer getting 4 points - 2 fgs on drives into the lane , Tre Beard with a transition bucket and couple FTs ... Logan without "a big man in the middle" countered with triples from Bo Myers and Layton Cassady ... a transition bucket and a deuce from Caleb and Coby Bell finished out the 1st quarter ... Logan 10 Chillicothe 9 end of 1 ... quarter number 2 set the tone for the rest of the game as both defenses made life tough for the offenses but Chillicothe showed their true advantage in the game - Brandon Noel ... the 6-7 junior post player showed "the edge" that the Cavs had - a big man who could get boards at the offensive end AND put the ball back in the hole - Noel scored 6 points in the quarter ALL on 3 put back buckets on offensive boards - the rest of the offenses for both sides were "same ol' same ol' " - Bo Myers added 2 more fgs (7 pts in the half) ... Layton Cassady hit another 3 pointer (2 treys/6 pts in the half) ... Chillicothe's Maughmer added 2 fgs( 8 pts in the half) on nice drives into the paint and Tre Beard added a complimentary triple (9ts in the half)... Chillicothe 24 Logan 19 at intermission ... the 3rd period had Logan picking up the defensive pressure - forced 5 CHS turnovers in the quarter but the Chiefs were unable to capitalize on the scoreboard in transition ... the TOs did help close the 5 point gap at the half as Logan found the range from downtown with 3 straight triples 1 each by Bo Myers/Coby Bell and Layton Cassady ... the Cavs were led by the usual cast of characters - Maughmer with 3 trips into the paint (6 pts) ... Noel converted with a Transition dunk and his 4th putback bucket of the game on an offensive board ... Logan 34 Chillicothe 34 end of 3 ... Coach Huffer's troops never relinquished the lead in the 4th as Brandon Noel picked up 2 more fgs (1 a PB bucket giving Noel 10 points on offensive boards on the block) ... key buckets by Vincent Roper on a nice putback basket and Chris Postage in the paint for 2 more ... Logan offered up 6 triples in the 4th only 2 found the bottom of the net ... the Cavs went 8/10 from the FT line in the 4th to keep the W on the Cavalier side of our pocket schedules ... Chillicothe 52 Logan 47 a final

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkins Stats - Logan

Scoring ... Bo Myers 23, Layton Cassady 13, Caleb Bell 6, Coby Bell 6, Wes Brooks 1
3 Pointers ... 8/19
FTs ...... 9/14
TOs ..... 9
PnP ....... 7 fgs/ 14 points in the paint
PnT .......1 fg/ 2 points in transition
PBB ....... 0 put back buckets

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Chillicothe

Scoring ... Jayvon Maughmer 20, Brandon Noel 16, Tre Beard 9, Vincent Roper 5, Chris Postage 2
3 Pointers ... 1/11 ... Tre` Beard 1
FTs ... 13/18
TOs ... 12
PnP ... 17 fgs/34 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/2 point in transition
PBB ... 6 fgs/12 put back points

... more in the morning ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Chillicothe 52 Logan 47 a final

Post by mattash »

Another solid run down

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... well it's the morning after , I've searched the internet , the outcome of last night's game between #1 Logan and #3 Chillicothe DID NOT change :

Chilliocthe 52
Logan 47 a final

I usually type a little more about each TEAM when I do my rundown BUT I was under the influence of 2 shots of NyQuil last night sooooo I decided I should wait until morning to post more LOL ... GREAT GAME ! I'm a Purple fan ,obviously wanted my Chieftains to take care of "bidness" on the road last night (for those who are counting - that WOULD make me bias) vs the hosting Cavaliers of Coach Huffer & Coach Beard ... as I've had a couple of texts this morning asking about the game - the texting persons made some valid points /asked some valid questions ... an obvious one was concerned with how big IS Brandon Noel? has he grown since the first game ? my response - "same size" BUT the difference of him APPEARING bigger was HIS location on the floor ... when you have a 6-7ish big man out on the perimeter he might as well be 5-9 ... be guarded by "anyone" ... BUT as soon as that same 6-7ish big man goes down on the blocks ? NOW he IS bigger especially vs 6-1 size ... and last night that was the matchup that Coach Huffer/Coach Beard exploited ... Coach Rider and Coach Bell are outstanding coaches THEY knew the matchup problem : at all of the other positions Logan could matchup well! - Myers/Maughmer, Cassady/Beard, Caleb Bell/Postage, Brooks/Roper ... then you have 6-7ish Noel ? if he stays out on the perimeter all is well , Caleb B. can handle him "out on the perimeter" , Caleb Bell IS an excellent defender! can/has handled bigger swinger players than himself before with his quickness or with help defense from his teammates ... last night Noel was a man among the crowd inside - Maughmer occupied Bo Myers ... that left a significantly undersized Logan defender on an island INSIDE/ON the BLOCK - Noel has excellent foot work, hands, body control AND he is BIG! last night Noel won that battle - Chillicothe won the game ... in the first game at Logan , the Chiefs DID give minutes to Logan's only size , 6-6'ish Justin Wolfe, I thought he did a good job vs Noel in his time on the floor at Logan ... Justin W. has the size /strong lower body to not get moved around , as well as making a 6-7 opponent have to work for boards and put backs ... Noel last night made it look easy down low on the offensive boards (16 pts/10 pts on offensive putbacks) ...

... Chillicothe is a difficult match up for Logan ! if I look at all of the other Elite 8 teams I see no other team that gives the opponent the size/mathcup advantage that Chillicothe presents ... not even undefeated Wheelersburg ... someone posted that they thought Chilli & Logan would probably split a 10 game series ... I think the edge would still go to Logan maybe 6 or 7 wins outta 10 ... I heard leaving the gym last night that Logan went 14 for 40 from the field? , 35%? ... I give a lot of credit to the Cav's Defense for that number - great job last night by the 5 Chillicothe starters ...

... the Cavs got THAT signature "W" last night they were looking for vs an outstanding Logan TEAM ... they will hope that the W equates to better seeding in the opening rounds of the post season ... for Logan ? they have their signature W , how much will the Central District coaches knock the Chiefs for the road loss at Chillicothe as the Central District "powers that be" have always looked down their noses at the Southeast District - the Chiefs have been bloodying CD noses now for 2 years trying to "earn respect" ... with the loss last night - how much does that hurt Logan for the post season seeding ... we will see come Feb 8 ... Logan plays Massillon Washington, Parkersburg South back to back at home this weekend - key words - AT HOME ... Logan has not played at home in January ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Chillicothe went 1/11 on 3’s...had more turnovers and still win

Smells like offensive rebounding was the difference

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Great write-up as usual Pfloyd.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:27 pm Chillicothe went 1/11 on 3’s...had more turnovers and still win

Smells like offensive rebounding was the difference
Or the 14 of 40 for the chiefs

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 6 offensive boards turned into 12 put back points ... Offensive boards/Brandon Noel get's the nod as THE difference in the game ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great sharing the Cheap Seats with daniC last night ! always good getting your insight on the game unfolding in front of us ... Thanks for stopping by the Cheap Seats before the freshmen game Coach Huffer , it was nice to meet one of your sons as well ... your kids played an outstanding game last night - coaches ALL draw it up the game plans that will put their teams in a position to win the game at hand - last night you and Coach Beard had the plans and your kids executed them ... best of luck to you and the Cavs in the post season as we both will playing in the OCC post season party Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:21 pm ... well it's the morning after , I've searched the internet , the outcome of last night's game between #1 Logan and #3 Chillicothe DID NOT change :

Chilliocthe 52
Logan 47 a final

I usually type a little more about each TEAM when I do my rundown BUT I was under the influence of 2 shots of NyQuil last night sooooo I decided I should wait until morning to post more LOL ... GREAT GAME ! I'm a Purple fan ,obviously wanted my Chieftains to take care of "bidness" on the road last night (for those who are counting - that WOULD make me bias) vs the hosting Cavaliers of Coach Huffer & Coach Beard ... as I've had a couple of texts this morning asking about the game - the texting persons made some valid points /asked some valid questions ... an obvious one was concerned with how big IS Brandon Noel? has he grown since the first game ? my response - "same size" BUT the difference of him APPEARING bigger was HIS location on the floor ... when you have a 6-7ish big man out on the perimeter he might as well be 5-9 ... be guarded by "anyone" ... BUT as soon as that same 6-7ish big man goes down on the blocks ? NOW he IS bigger especially vs 6-1 size ... and last night that was the matchup that Coach Huffer/Coach Beard exploited ... Coach Rider and Coach Bell are outstanding coaches THEY knew the matchup problem : at all of the other positions Logan could matchup well! - Myers/Maughmer, Cassady/Beard, Caleb Bell/Postage, Brooks/Roper ... then you have 6-7ish Noel ? if he stays out on the perimeter all is well , Caleb B. can handle him "out on the perimeter" , Caleb Bell IS an excellent defender! can/has handled bigger swinger players than himself before with his quickness or with help defense from his teammates ... last night Noel was a man among the crowd inside - Maughmer occupied Bo Myers ... that left a significantly undersized Logan defender on an island INSIDE/ON the BLOCK - Noel has excellent foot work, hands, body control AND he is BIG! last night Noel won that battle - Chillicothe won the game ... in the first game at Logan , the Chiefs DID give minutes to Logan's only size , 6-6'ish Justin Wolfe, I thought he did a good job vs Noel in his time on the floor at Logan ... Justin W. has the size /strong lower body to not get moved around , as well as making a 6-7 opponent have to work for boards and put backs ... Noel last night made it look easy down low on the offensive boards (16 pts/10 pts on offensive putbacks) ...

... Chillicothe is a difficult match up for Logan ! if I look at all of the other Elite 8 teams I see no other team that gives the opponent the size/mathcup advantage that Chillicothe presents ... not even undefeated Wheelersburg ... someone posted that they thought Chilli & Logan would probably split a 10 game series ... I think the edge would still go to Logan maybe 6 or 7 wins outta 10 ... I heard leaving the gym last night that Logan went 14 for 40 from the field? , 35%? ... I give a lot of credit to the Cav's Defense for that number - great job last night by the 5 Chillicothe starters ...

... the Cavs got THAT signature "W" last night they were looking for vs an outstanding Logan TEAM ... they will hope that the W equates to better seeding in the opening rounds of the post season ... for Logan ? they have their signature W , how much will the Central District coaches knock the Chiefs for the road loss at Chillicothe as the Central District "powers that be" have always looked down their noses at the Southeast District - the Chiefs have been bloodying CD noses now for 2 years trying to "earn respect" ... with the loss last night - how much does that hurt Logan for the post season seeding ... we will see come Feb 8 ... Logan plays Massillon Washington, Parkersburg South back to back at home this weekend - key words - AT HOME ... Logan has not played at home in January ...
Good write up but I want to correct you . Coby Bell drew the starting assignment on Maughmer and that did not change until He picked up his 2 foul helping out on a missed switch . Co Bell IS the best defender on the team and had to take a seat and sat for 4 min. They missed that defensive intinsity and created some miss matches . Bo Picked up Maughmer the second half and Co Bell picked up Noel . Not sure why . Ca Bell helped out on every play on defense to double down for he is an excellent defender as well . CO Bell was given a foul that was Bo ( Fouling to get the ball back ) Official turned back around to get the numbr and gave the wrong Number. Co Bells 5th . Not sure why the T was called ( This group has never even starting back to Biddy Ball ever got a T ) and The older OFFICIAL running after Bo at half time to yell at him that he had enough of that . I agree that Wolfe guarding Noel would possibly helped . I would love to see a rematch early in the Tourney . AND also Logan has better signature wins . They will bounce back I'm sure.You are not going to see any Chillicothe team loose back to back games at the Hat( lost to UPPER Arlington last Sat. ) . Stay warm and take your NyQuil

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chieftain Fan wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:08 pm
pfloyd wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:21 pm ... well it's the morning after , I've searched the internet , the outcome of last night's game between #1 Logan and #3 Chillicothe DID NOT change :

Chilliocthe 52
Logan 47 a final

Good write up but I want to correct you . Coby Bell drew the starting assignment on Maughmer and that did not change until He picked up his 2 foul helping out on a missed switch . Co Bell IS the best defender on the team and had to take a seat and sat for 4 min. They missed that defensive intinsity and created some miss matches . Bo Picked up Maughmer the second half and Co Bell picked up Noel . Not sure why . Ca Bell helped out on every play on defense to double down for he is an excellent defender as well . CO Bell was given a foul that was Bo ( Fouling to get the ball back ) Official turned back around to get the numbr and gave the wrong Number. Co Bells 5th . Not sure why the T was called ( This group has never even starting back to Biddy Ball ever got a T ) and The older OFFICIAL running after Bo at half time to yell at him that he had enough of that . I agree that Wolfe guarding Noel would possibly helped . I would love to see a rematch early in the Tourney . AND also Logan has better signature wins . They will bounce back I'm sure.You are not going to see any Chillicothe team loose back to back games at the Hat( lost to UPPER Arlington last Sat. ) . Stay warm and take your NyQuil
... I'll take your word on all that you said CF ... imo Logan plays the best TEAM D I've seen all year - that's a given - they are all outstanding defenders from Bo down to the 6th man Landon Little ... the difference in the game was on the boards, the offensive boards ... the player on the boards that hurt Logan the most was Brandon Noel (10 points on put back buckets) ... would absolutely love to see a 3rd match up of these 2 teams in the post season ... it is darn cold out there ! I've been to the hospital for blood work ... DayQuil by day, NyQuil by night ...lots of hot chocolate ... take care of some school work ... just your typical "snow day/Arctic Vortex day" in the Hocking Valley LOL ... you stay warm as well CF ...

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Been out most of the day with my PT Job. By the wood stove now . Trying to stay away from the NyQuil.lol. 2 below here

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

WOW ! Know Logan has a good team ,Now Chilly comes in the picture? How good ?

Return to “Boys Basketball”