Athens Bulldogs Statistical Breakdown

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Re: Who's the best Athens Bulldog?

Post by moorelukas »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 am
moorelukas wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 am Posting stats is dumb? I'm sorry, do we think high school sports is something worth talking about or not? Because if not, get off this site and quit wasting your life. If it is worth talking about, posting stats (not criticizing anybody at all), to answer a question that has been repeatedly argued on separate threads (with unfair, and false arguments) is not dumb? I just shined a light on the stats, if we can't handle numbers, that's sad.
Perhaps change the header to 'Athens statistical breakdown'

That may be where the disdain is coming from. Asking who is 'the best' when it comes to an individual team may be frowned upon by others.
Yes, I agree. But I don't know how to do that.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

TVC wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:17 am
HamPorter wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 am
moorelukas wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 am Posting stats is dumb? I'm sorry, do we think high school sports is something worth talking about or not? Because if not, get off this site and quit wasting your life. If it is worth talking about, posting stats (not criticizing anybody at all), to answer a question that has been repeatedly argued on separate threads (with unfair, and false arguments) is not dumb? I just shined a light on the stats, if we can't handle numbers, that's sad.
I'm sure you took your time and didn't slant the stats in any way towards a certain player. Parent stats are always different and better for their own kid after all.
This was done by a kid, not a parent. Give him a break. He is just having fun and crunching numbers.
Not just a kid, but a person who spends at least 15 hours a week researching, watching, broadcasting and thinking about Athens basketball and TVC basketball. I have no reason to lie, or fudge stats. I watch film on this team, I want all these kids to succeed. I think they're all great at basketball and that's why they've rolled through the TVC so far. I'm trying to match the passion the team has on the court with my media coverage of the team. I want people to be excited about games and the teams. I want to encourage friendly debate that ignites passion for the Athens Bulldogs. Want to hear my full thoughts on Athens-Meigs tonight and the TVC player of the year? Link: https://soundcloud.com/luke-steiner-256 ... discussion

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Re: Athens Bulldogs Statistical Breakdown

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Appreciate the insight and look from a different perspective. Going to take everyone to win but I agree that particular matchup will be key as Baer has been huge all year. Be interesting who they put on Cleland as well. I look for Butcher to have a big game as my two cents in this game. 3s and rebounds

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

moorelukas wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 am
HamPorter wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 am

I'm sure you took your time and didn't slant the stats in any way towards a certain player. Parent stats are always different and better for their own kid after all.
This was done by a kid, not a parent. Give him a break. He is just having fun and crunching numbers.
Not just a kid, but a person who spends at least 15 hours a week researching, watching, broadcasting and thinking about Athens basketball and TVC basketball. I have no reason to lie, or fudge stats. I watch film on this team, I want all these kids to succeed. I think they're all great at basketball and that's why they've rolled through the TVC so far. I'm trying to match the passion the team has on the court with my media coverage of the team. I want people to be excited about games and the teams. I want to encourage friendly debate that ignites passion for the Athens Bulldogs. Want to hear my full thoughts on Athens-Meigs tonight and the TVC player of the year? Link: https://soundcloud.com/luke-steiner-256 ... discussion
No disrespect, just used the word kid because you are younger than I. Very good job breaking it down the way you did. Good stuff sir and keep up the good work.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens Bulldogs Statistical Breakdown

Post by Raider6309 »

Maxfield is the TVC Ohio POTY. Pretty easy one this year. Next year could be tough to pick

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm
moorelukas wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:38 pm This is an important debate for those trying to figure out who Athens should nominate for TVC player of the year. So I did a statistical analysis to take out the bias. I calculated each of these players "Game Score", which essentially is a weighted tally of the ENTIRE box score. I then adjusted for pace to be able to compare the players to players in the NBA since game score isn't used at the high school level.

Here it is:

1. Logan Maxfield (SR) - 18.6 game score (11th in NBA - Blake Griffin)
2. Justin Hines (SR) - 14.8 game score (28th in NBA - Klay Thompson)
3. Elijah Williams (SR) - 10.5 game score (67th in NBA - Jordan Clarkson)
4. Isaiah Butcher (JR) - 10.1 game score (69th in NBA - Javale McGee)
5. Eli Chubb (SR) - 9.5 game score (79th in NBA - Terrence Ross)
... ALL 5 of these young men bring skill sets to the court that make Athens a very good TEAM ... I've seen the Bulldogs vs Waverly, Alexander, Logan ... out of THIS group, the MVP of the Athens TEAM imo is Eli Chubb ... may not be the BEST player on the Bulldog TEAM but imo the Bulldog TEAM would NOT be a TEAM - one that as a group their combined skills make them competitive no matter the opponent ... Eli has his OWN skill set that does and allows him to make up for all of the others in the "group" when they are not on the floor, when they are playing injured, foul trouble ... Eli can BE the perimeter scorer, Eli can BE the rebounder at both ends of the floor, Eli can BE the PG when Williams is not on the floor, Eli can guard a post player, a swing forward/2 guard, has the length to play any one of the positions in the 3-2 zone ,Eli can BE the guy who gets into the paint & distribute the ball ... I guess what I see in Eli Chubb is player who is has multiple skills that compensates or compliments those talents the rest of the TEAM brings to the floor ...

... now THAT post brings us to ask the question does Eli's skill set and what he brings to the Athen's Bulldogs to make him the Bulldog MVP (imo) ... does THAT elevate him to being the POY ?
Good insight PFloyd. Eli Chubb is a Blue Collar player who puts work in game after game, he isn’t flashy but he Does what his team needs him to do to Win. I would bet if you look at overall statistics he is at the top or near the top in every category and has been for the last couple of years. Humble and unselfish player.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

TVC wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:03 pm
moorelukas wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 am

No disrespect, just used the word kid because you are younger than I. Very good job breaking it down the way you did. Good stuff sir and keep up the good work.
No disrespect, I love being a kid :D I appreciate the kind words, and after watching the game last night, if I had a "media vote", I think Weston Baer deserves to be TVC Player of the Year, with Maxfield an extremely close second. Dropped 20 points on every team in the TVC. But Baer a junior, Maxfield a senior, it might come down to MAxfield's performance against Wellston.

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:38 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm
moorelukas wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:38 pm This is an important debate for those trying to figure out who Athens should nominate for TVC player of the year. So I did a statistical analysis to take out the bias. I calculated each of these players "Game Score", which essentially is a weighted tally of the ENTIRE box score. I then adjusted for pace to be able to compare the players to players in the NBA since game score isn't used at the high school level.

Here it is:

1. Logan Maxfield (SR) - 18.6 game score (11th in NBA - Blake Griffin)
2. Justin Hines (SR) - 14.8 game score (28th in NBA - Klay Thompson)
3. Elijah Williams (SR) - 10.5 game score (67th in NBA - Jordan Clarkson)
4. Isaiah Butcher (JR) - 10.1 game score (69th in NBA - Javale McGee)
5. Eli Chubb (SR) - 9.5 game score (79th in NBA - Terrence Ross)
... ALL 5 of these young men bring skill sets to the court that make Athens a very good TEAM ... I've seen the Bulldogs vs Waverly, Alexander, Logan ... out of THIS group, the MVP of the Athens TEAM imo is Eli Chubb ... may not be the BEST player on the Bulldog TEAM but imo the Bulldog TEAM would NOT be a TEAM - one that as a group their combined skills make them competitive no matter the opponent ... Eli has his OWN skill set that does and allows him to make up for all of the others in the "group" when they are not on the floor, when they are playing injured, foul trouble ... Eli can BE the perimeter scorer, Eli can BE the rebounder at both ends of the floor, Eli can BE the PG when Williams is not on the floor, Eli can guard a post player, a swing forward/2 guard, has the length to play any one of the positions in the 3-2 zone ,Eli can BE the guy who gets into the paint & distribute the ball ... I guess what I see in Eli Chubb is player who is has multiple skills that compensates or compliments those talents the rest of the TEAM brings to the floor ...

... now THAT post brings us to ask the question does Eli's skill set and what he brings to the Athen's Bulldogs to make him the Bulldog MVP (imo) ... does THAT elevate him to being the POY ?
Good insight PFloyd. Eli Chubb is a Blue Collar player who puts work in game after game, he isn’t flashy but he Does what his team needs him to do to Win. I would bet if you look at overall statistics he is at the top or near the top in every category and has been for the last couple of years. Humble and unselfish player.
Yes! I agree as well. What harms Eli in the "game score" stat is some of the inefficiency, low FG% and the amount of turnovers are weighted in the stat. I don't think Athens wins this conference without every single one of the starting 5 this year, it's been the definition of depth.

Return to “Boys Basketball”