Athens Bulldogs Statistical Breakdown

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Athens Bulldogs Statistical Breakdown

Post by moorelukas »

This is an important debate for those trying to figure out who Athens should nominate for TVC player of the year. So I did a statistical analysis to take out the bias. I calculated each of these players "Game Score", which essentially is a weighted tally of the ENTIRE box score. I then adjusted for pace to be able to compare the players to players in the NBA since game score isn't used at the high school level.

Here it is:

1. Logan Maxfield (SR) - 18.6 game score (11th in NBA - Blake Griffin)
2. Justin Hines (SR) - 14.8 game score (28th in NBA - Klay Thompson)
3. Elijah Williams (SR) - 10.5 game score (67th in NBA - Jordan Clarkson)
4. Isaiah Butcher (JR) - 10.1 game score (69th in NBA - Javale McGee)
5. Eli Chubb (SR) - 9.5 game score (79th in NBA - Terrence Ross)
Last edited by moorelukas on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Re: Who's the best Athens Bulldog?

Post by Dandy Don »

My god you guys are consumed with POY stuff, it starts before the dang season starts and carries on all the way through it. You dads ought to just hire a PR firm and run some radio ads and put up some pictures and stats on some billboards around town.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

You have all stats or just points?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

This getting crazy. A weighted game score and how does that figure out . Please give us more info . The more I read the more confused I get. With all this craziness lets just go with the player in the League that has the best PPG , RPG and APG and put this to rest .

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

We need a formula

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

moorelukas wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:38 pm This is an important debate for those trying to figure out who Athens should nominate for TVC player of the year. So I did a statistical analysis to take out the bias. I calculated each of these players "Game Score", which essentially is a weighted tally of the ENTIRE box score. I then adjusted for pace to be able to compare the players to players in the NBA since game score isn't used at the high school level.

Here it is:

1. Logan Maxfield (SR) - 18.6 game score (11th in NBA - Blake Griffin)
2. Justin Hines (SR) - 14.8 game score (28th in NBA - Klay Thompson)
3. Elijah Williams (SR) - 10.5 game score (67th in NBA - Jordan Clarkson)
4. Isaiah Butcher (JR) - 10.1 game score (69th in NBA - Javale McGee)
5. Eli Chubb (SR) - 9.5 game score (79th in NBA - Terrence Ross)
... ALL 5 of these young men bring skill sets to the court that make Athens a very good TEAM ... I've seen the Bulldogs vs Waverly, Alexander, Logan ... out of THIS group, the MVP of the Athens TEAM imo is Eli Chubb ... may not be the BEST player on the Bulldog TEAM but imo the Bulldog TEAM would NOT be a TEAM - one that as a group their combined skills make them competitive no matter the opponent ... Eli has his OWN skill set that does and allows him to make up for all of the others in the "group" when they are not on the floor, when they are playing injured, foul trouble ... Eli can BE the perimeter scorer, Eli can BE the rebounder at both ends of the floor, Eli can BE the PG when Williams is not on the floor, Eli can guard a post player, a swing forward/2 guard, has the length to play any one of the positions in the 3-2 zone ,Eli can BE the guy who gets into the paint & distribute the ball ... I guess what I see in Eli Chubb is player who is has multiple skills that compensates or compliments those talents the rest of the TEAM brings to the floor ...

... now THAT post brings us to ask the question does Eli's skill set and what he brings to the Athen's Bulldogs to make him the Bulldog MVP (imo) ... does THAT elevate him to being the POY ?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

THEY ARE NOTHING WITHOUT ONE ANOTHER

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:52 pm THEY ARE NOTHING WITHOUT ONE ANOTHER
... exactly ... that's why they (all 5-6) are a very good TEAM ... any "group" of athletes are ONLY a TEAM when ALL of the separate "pieces" work together as a TEAM ...

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I'm a little surprised that a thread such as this would even be started. That's just my opinion.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Does it even really matter who the best one is?

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

Vetteman,......AGREED!!!! I can’t believe I even started reading what material was posted!! It takes a total team effort to win games and trying to single one out could be poison. Hope egos don’t get in the way.....they have tourney ball coming up very soon😎 I would just give it to the starting five and not to forget the TOP NOTCH 6TH MAN.

Old man
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:32 pm Does it even really matter who the best one is?
It probably does to a Father or a Relative. I wouldn't even put that out there for all the kids on the team to see.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:32 pm Does it even really matter who the best one is?
It does not

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

So, just to be clear, I do not 'care' who the best Athens Bulldog is. I just think it's an interesting question to be asked, and I had the requisite information to answer that question. I think Eli Chubb, who is the 'worst' player on this list would be capable of averaging 20+ points a game with a higher usage rate.
and for those asking the formula, if you want the complex math it's called "Game Score", and google is a wonderful tool. For those who want a simple explanation, these are the stats that are considered for game score (and yes, I have all these stats, and they are film-reviewed.)
Field Goals attempted
Free throws
free throws attempted
Offensive rebounds
defensive rebounds
steals
assists
blocks
fouls
turnovers...

So it's accurate folks. Don't take it too seriously, it's just a look at numbers. Completely objective.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

moorelukas wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:00 am So, just to be clear, I do not 'care' who the best Athens Bulldog is. I just think it's an interesting question to be asked, and I had the requisite information to answer that question. I think Eli Chubb, who is the 'worst' player on this list would be capable of averaging 20+ points a game with a higher usage rate.
and for those asking the formula, if you want the complex math it's called "Game Score", and google is a wonderful tool. For those who want a simple explanation, these are the stats that are considered for game score (and yes, I have all these stats, and they are film-reviewed.)
Field Goals attempted
Free throws
free throws attempted
Offensive rebounds
defensive rebounds
steals
assists
blocks
fouls
turnovers...

So it's accurate folks. Don't take it too seriously, it's just a look at numbers. Completely objective.
You're a sad, sad person for justifying such a dumb thread

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

Posting stats is dumb? I'm sorry, do we think high school sports is something worth talking about or not? Because if not, get off this site and quit wasting your life. If it is worth talking about, posting stats (not criticizing anybody at all), to answer a question that has been repeatedly argued on separate threads (with unfair, and false arguments) is not dumb? I just shined a light on the stats, if we can't handle numbers, that's sad.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

moorelukas wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 am Posting stats is dumb? I'm sorry, do we think high school sports is something worth talking about or not? Because if not, get off this site and quit wasting your life. If it is worth talking about, posting stats (not criticizing anybody at all), to answer a question that has been repeatedly argued on separate threads (with unfair, and false arguments) is not dumb? I just shined a light on the stats, if we can't handle numbers, that's sad.
Perhaps change the header to 'Athens statistical breakdown'

That may be where the disdain is coming from. Asking who is 'the best' when it comes to an individual team may be frowned upon by others.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

moorelukas wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 am Posting stats is dumb? I'm sorry, do we think high school sports is something worth talking about or not? Because if not, get off this site and quit wasting your life. If it is worth talking about, posting stats (not criticizing anybody at all), to answer a question that has been repeatedly argued on separate threads (with unfair, and false arguments) is not dumb? I just shined a light on the stats, if we can't handle numbers, that's sad.
I'm sure you took your time and didn't slant the stats in any way towards a certain player. Parent stats are always different and better for their own kid after all.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

HamPorter wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 am
I'm sure you took your time and didn't slant the stats in any way towards a certain player. Parent stats are always different and better for their own kid after all.
This was done by a kid, not a parent. Give him a break. He is just having fun and crunching numbers.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

The bigger question is, will any of these young men forge college and enter the draft. I would think the D-League or Europe would be a possibility for such a talented team.

Return to “Boys Basketball”