Eastern pike has won 20 straight games. How far can they go in the tourney??

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Eastern pike has won 20 straight games. How far can they go in the tourney??

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:35 pm
smurray wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:23 pm

It will def. be rough for Eastern next year. They lose way too much as they enter the SOC2.
Yeah and I've heard the jump to SOC2 means Eastern doesn't want to participate in the Pike County Holiday Classic and I'm hearing Piketon as well could be out. That's such a good little county tourney I hate to see it go away.
What does jumping to SOC2 have to do with the Classic. They currently play Western 3 times a year when playing them in the Classic, so the only thing that would change is possibly playing Waverly 3 times, not Western. Will they even schedule Western non conference.
Oh I agree with you, but have been told by multiple ppl within the program they don't want to play Waverly 3 times. The piketon thing caught me off guard though that they may possibly be out as well. We'll see though 10 months away on that tourney.

HumbleObserver
Waterboy

Re: Eastern pike has won 20 straight games. How far can they go in the tourney??

Post by HumbleObserver »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 pm
HumbleObserver wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:26 pm
Tartanblue wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:35 pm

I understand that, but in the long run as long as Eastern is a D III team playing in the SOC II will benefit them better in the long run as to being in the SOC I playing DIV teams on a nightly basis other than non conference games. If the Eagles were DIV this year they would be at the convo and predicted to win a district title with this team. Playing a major part of DIV teams could have hurt as playing East and Notre Dame did not help as it would be playing against the bottom teams in the SOC II would have.
I've never agreed 100% percent with this line of thinking. Yes, playing tougher competition on a consistent basis can make you better and in a sense prepare you for tournament play but trust me, if in the process you get 5-6 more losses and a much lower seed, the benefit of "being prepared" won't do you a lot of good. I will take the higher seed year in and year out over the idea of a more "seasoned" team with a low seed. Seeding matters a lot most of the time.
Typically I would agree.... but teams like Valley make that argument difficult. Pretty tough schedule in the SOC 2, some tough games out of conference. Then the #10 seed knocks off the #2 seed Eastern Brown, who came from a weaker conference.

South Webster in D4 is another one that always comes to mind.

Ironton in D3 now is proving that difficult schedule's can help prepare them. Besides being in the OVC they play a VERY tough out of conference schedule. They're easily the 2nd best team in D3 in SE Ohio but got the 5 seed. Look what they just did to the 4 seed.

Really though, it just depends. Basketball is a game of matchups. Some teams matchup great with one team, but matchup poorly with another. Chesapeake was a bad matchup for Eastern Pike, but I think Pike would have matched up much better with Alexander/Fairland. So who knows!
I don't necessarily disagree with you, as I said, it "can" prepare you. I am talking about year in and year out beating your head against a wall of playing higher seeds. Yes, South Webster is an example because they are an SOC II school playing DIV 4 in tournaments but that's rare. As we know, it's not the school's decision what division they are because it's based on the numbers of boys/girls. So you can always find examples. I actually think your best point was something I forgot to mention and that is MATCHUPS! And sometimes you just play a team at the wrong time. I've seen teams make it deep (District Finals for example) that weren't that good but got hot at the right time. I think we forget about that variable as well. Are you playing your best when it matters most.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

EagleNut14 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:29 am I've heard from a couple different people that Eastern may stay in the SOC 1 and will be D4 next year.
They may go back to SOC 1 but it's already been put out there for the 2019 season. I have t heard anyone say anything about staying SOC1 but I seen numbers and does look like they will drop to D4 next year

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Tartanblue wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:35 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:53 pm
Tartanblue wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:44 pm I think the move to the SOC II for Eastern will help, especially come tournament time playing schools who are D III on a nightly basis.
If it does it won't happen for a while, they lose to much and with the move to SOC2 quite frankly you could see Eastern looking at a 6-8 win season next year.
I understand that, but in the long run as long as Eastern is a D III team playing in the SOC II will benefit them better in the long run as to being in the SOC I playing DIV teams on a nightly basis other than non conference games. If the Eagles were DIV this year they would be at the convo and predicted to win a district title with this team. Playing a major part of DIV teams could have hurt as playing East and Notre Dame did not help as it would be playing against the bottom teams in the SOC II would have.
Now they'll be DIV next year

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

greygoose wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:51 pm
smurray wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:35 pm

Yeah and I've heard the jump to SOC2 means Eastern doesn't want to participate in the Pike County Holiday Classic and I'm hearing Piketon as well could be out. That's such a good little county tourney I hate to see it go away.
What does jumping to SOC2 have to do with the Classic. They currently play Western 3 times a year when playing them in the Classic, so the only thing that would change is possibly playing Waverly 3 times, not Western. Will they even schedule Western non conference.
Oh I agree with you, but have been told by multiple ppl within the program they don't want to play Waverly 3 times. The piketon thing caught me off guard though that they may possibly be out as well. We'll see though 10 months away on that tourney.
This entire line of thinking is a joke. Eastern and Western have had to play 3 times before I believe (we all thought 4 times this season). This would be a big mistake in my opinion and I don't have any dog in the fight. But, using possibly playing 3 times as an excuse is no excuse at all when it has been that way the entire time with Eastern and Western both in the classic.

As to the game, I was a little surprised by the outcome. I figured Peake would keep it close. Eastern just dribbled around the perimeter and didn't feed the ball into Miller or Weaver or seem to make any effort to get the ball to the hot hand. It did not look like a Barrick team. The eagles played with no real intensity? The second half was a carbon copy of the first half. I don't follow the Eagles much , but I will say I was shocked at the conduct of the bench and the refs should have issued at least one technical or more.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

Yea if you read on you would see where I saw Chesapeake play and agreed with him.

Big Hawk
Waterboy

Post by Big Hawk »

Keep it clean. Hit the report post button if there is any issues please. Lets make this site a great place to talk sports and not worry about coaches, players or even fans being ran down.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

JTEK wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 am
Watson45 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:19 am
AnkleBraces wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:14 am After seeing both teams. I wouldn't want to see Chesapeake if I was Eastern.
Haha. When did you see eastern? Against oak hill?
Guess the guy knew what he was talking about
Haha. Sure did

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Watson45 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 am
JTEK wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 am
Watson45 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:19 am

Haha. When did you see eastern? Against oak hill?
Guess the guy knew what he was talking about
Haha. Sure did
Maybe that’s why Anklebraces wins 80% of the games he coaches

Return to “Boys Basketball”