State Tourney Dilemma, Attendance

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: State Tourney Dilemma, Attendance

Post by 93Bulldog »

burgbacker wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:20 am I love the Convo, but in this scenario, I think the games get played at a place like The Nutter Center in Dayton.
Yeah, that's one for sure ...

That's why I said "where on the list"

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Ohio Dominican would be the most likely option in Columbus. Unsure if the Covelli Center would be available.

The Convo would probably be rivaled by BGSU, Wright St and Akron in terms of viability.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:17 am For entertainment purposes, lets say The Schott and St. John are not available for some crazy reason one year ...

Where on the list would the Convo be as a viable option? How many venues I'm wondering would be looked at first? And the Q is out as well, they have the Cavs or MAC tournament.
Well this scenario is closer to happening than many realize. As for the Convocation Center, as a facility would be very high on the list, however, the city of Athens is not viable as there is not enough parking or hotel rooms needed.

You then get into the same complaint that people have about football, "it's not fair the games are on one side of the state".

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:26 am Ohio Dominican would be the most likely option in Columbus. Unsure if the Covelli Center would be available.

The Convo would probably be rivaled by BGSU, Wright St and Akron in terms of viability.
OHIO Dominican cannot hold the crowd and teams for single session DI game. Covelli will be 3,500 capacity and again is the site for OSU sports that will be in the crucial stages in their seasons. BGSU nor Akron are large enough venues.

And how badly would people on here cry driving to BGSU? We've got pages of complaints about driving to Canton for football.
Last edited by Pol pot on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I feel like the Nutter Center in Dayton would be a good option. 10,400 capacity, plenty of parking, and a ton of hotels nearby.

Obviously, I don’t know the inner workings of things, but that sounds like it would be solid to me.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:30 pm I feel like the Nutter Center in Dayton would be a good option. 10,400 capacity, plenty of parking, and a ton of hotels nearby.

Obviously, I don’t know the inner workings of things, but that sounds like it would be solid to me.
Agreed. I went to volleyball state tournament at the Number Center. Ideal place imo

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Number of hotels/rooms is getting higher and higher in Athens. Hopefully we start to attract some bigger events in the future. I'd be tickled to death just to get the state legion tournament back.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm Number of hotels/rooms is getting higher and higher in Athens. Hopefully we start to attract some bigger events in the future. I'd be tickled to death just to get the state legion tournament back.
God I hated Carbone

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

How would they do the seating at the Convo? Would the administration guys and coaches get the lower bowl and the real fans get stuck up top?

Would be the reason they would never hold the Final Four at the Convo!

E High
All State

Post by E High »

They’ll never leave Columbus. Too centrally located. Where they play the games is a different story going forward.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

E High wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:07 am They’ll never leave Columbus. Too centrally located. Where they play the games is a different story going forward.
Uh, too centrally located?

A lot of the OHSAA state tournaments are not "centrally located", including its biggest event - the state football playoffs. lol

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

1986 and 87 they moved to Hara Arena in Dayton for some reason.

I truly believe if they couldn’t use Columbus they would move to Dayton again. UD Arena would be first option as the state tournament is usually during Sweet 16/Elite 8 weekend and it’s free. The Nutter Center is a great 2nd option.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 am 1986 and 87 they moved to Hara Arena in Dayton for some reason.

I truly believe if they couldn’t use Columbus they would move to Dayton again. UD Arena would be first option as the state tournament is usually during Sweet 16/Elite 8 weekend and it’s free. The Nutter Center is a great 2nd option.
UD Arena would have to be available, it’s the most used site in NCAA history and has the longest current streak of use. The new upgrades make it the nicest facility in Ohio.

Billy Hoyle
Waterboy

Post by Billy Hoyle »

The '86 and '87 state Final 4 was at UD Arena...not Hara.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

True on Dayton Arena. I was way off.

Not sure where my memory got Hara Arena.

UD Arena would be Open. It hosts the first four now and hasn’t had a Regional in a while.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm How would they do the seating at the Convo? Would the administration guys and coaches get the lower bowl and the real fans get stuck up top?

Would be the reason they would never hold the Final Four at the Convo!
Well, for your information, lower level seating is going to open up at the Schott this year. As for Convo, there is only 2700 seats in the lower level, so I’m sure someone would complain about not getting a good seat and someone else getting one “they don’t deserve”.

And, no that is not the reason the games would not be at the Convo, lack of lodging would be the reason. The Convo would be the most profitable of any venue, and would do things right. Reason it’s the most used venue in the entire State of Ohio.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

No place around Convo for the RV park either.
I ventured back to that park once at the Schott, rest of the day was a blur. Smh

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm No place around Convo for the RV park either.
I ventured back to that park once at the Schott, rest of the day was a blur. Smh
Disagree, you had to shuttle to the RV lot at Schott, Athens has the same capability.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm No place around Convo for the RV park either.
Disagree, you had to shuttle to the RV lot at Schott, Athens has the same capability.
Shuttle my a**
We walked! lol

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

Hulk wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 pm
Pol pot wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:48 pm
SEFan wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:28 am

Why isn’t it available? I thought last year it might not have been because the Ohio State women were hosting 1st and 2nd round that same weekend, but that’s not a yearly thing.

On top of that, shouldn’t those NCAAs be at Nationwide or Schott? I believe I read the men are at Columbus this year for NCAA first and second round. Which depending on that price, might take fans away again.
Saint John arena is home to wrestling, gymnastics, fencing and then his use for other activities as well It’s not available because OSU has no place to put these sports and OSU has said NO to the OHSAA on this issue. Regardless of how badly some think these games should go back to St John areana, the owners of the facility have said NO. So, in light of that what do you expect the OHSAA to do? Just show up anyway????

Well I was going to ask the same question but glad I didn't now ,LOL.
Right! My bad! :shock:

Return to “Boys Basketball”