Tournament Time...Referees

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Tournament Time...Referees

Post by Ironman92 »

I just wanted to say that I have watched a lot of basketball this season from freshman through varsity and this year has been the best year for the officiating that I can remember. It’s not the easiest job and fans are often crazy. Best of luck to those of you fortunate enough to work the tournament games.

Also, a lot of really good lesser experience officials at the freshman/jv level. Hope several of them get to do varsity games next year.

HamPorter
All Conference

Re: Tournament Time...Referees

Post by HamPorter »

They’ve been pretty good from what I’ve seen. I’d like to see some hand checking called outside, but that’s aboht it.

I do hope that some of the younger refs are starting to get some tournament games as well to keep them invested in continuing. Of course, that’s if they have earned it of course

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Do the Coach's grade the Refs that have done there games at the end of the season ? I know there must be some kind of a system in place. I bet the Refs would sure like to be able to grade the Coach's. I know the State picks the Refs for the tournaments etc.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:35 pm Do the Coach's grade the Refs that have done there games at the end of the season ? I know there must be some kind of a system in place. I bet the Refs would sure like to be able to grade the Coach's. I know the State picks the Refs for the tournaments etc.
Yes. They score them 1-5, I’m pretty sure that no one has ever justifiably gotten a 1 though.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

HamPorter wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:38 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:35 pm Do the Coach's grade the Refs that have done there games at the end of the season ? I know there must be some kind of a system in place. I bet the Refs would sure like to be able to grade the Coach's. I know the State picks the Refs for the tournaments etc.
Yes. They score them 1-5, I’m pretty sure that no one has ever justifiably gotten a 1 though.
Thank you. I wonder if somehow the Refs know how the coach's grade them ? I'll even go a little deeper, as most leagues have someone who assigns the Refs to the games. would that person mayby not send a certain Ref to a certain game ?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 pm I just wanted to say that I have watched a lot of basketball this season from freshman through varsity and this year has been the best year for the officiating that I can remember. It’s not the easiest job and fans are often crazy. Best of luck to those of you fortunate enough to work the tournament games.

Also, a lot of really good lesser experience officials at the freshman/jv level. Hope several of them get to do varsity games next year.
Seen no comments on the refs for the F/JV games Saturday. So must be no news is good news? :lol: :lol:

Jackie Moon
Riding the Bench

Post by Jackie Moon »

The tall guy was average, the bald guy was outstanding and the short one kept talking about a tv show he saw in South Carolina! :lol: :lol:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:05 am
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 pm I just wanted to say that I have watched a lot of basketball this season from freshman through varsity and this year has been the best year for the officiating that I can remember. It’s not the easiest job and fans are often crazy. Best of luck to those of you fortunate enough to work the tournament games.

Seen no comments on the refs for the F/JV games Saturday. So must be no news is good news? :lol: :lol:
Did you not get the “good job” stickers that I told the Athens AD to give to you? Disappointing when people don’t do their AD duties.

You did correctly call a lane violation on my kid which cost him a point and some time the next day at the gym to refocus on his free throws. Problem fixed. Thank You

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Jackie Moon wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 am The tall guy was average, the bald guy was outstanding and the short one kept talking about a tv show he saw in South Carolina! :lol: :lol:
It was a movie and it was outstanding. Believe it won an Oscar in Japan. :lol: :lol:

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:07 am

Did you not get the “good job” stickers that I told the Athens AD to give to you? Disappointing when people don’t do their AD duties.

You did correctly call a lane violation on my kid which cost him a point and some time the next day at the gym to refocus on his free throws. Problem fixed. Thank You

Well I am glad I could help. Your kid plays his tail off every possession. He's a cheater on the free throw line, but he plays hard.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

I will have to give the refs a B+ this season. Job well done men and women! The only real whining I remember was the winning team by 20 points complaining and calling people out. I am sure all the refs will remember that as well. I would appreciate it if you don’t call any tic tac fouls in the tourney. Now I understand charges traveling but mabye let some stuff go either way. I watch a lot of March madness ncaa and this is usually how they let them play! ‘Tis the season to reward Physicality! Now that I have given you my approval and instruction you might give the Ironmen a break. It’s been a long time coming!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Well I am glad I could help. Your kid plays his tail off every possession. He's a cheater on the free throw line, but he plays hard.
Lol, if you knew my kid you wouldn’t even joke he’s a cheater. He couldn’t purposely cheat if he wanted to. He has issues but they are good ones. After you called him on it he stood 6-8 inches behind the line on his JV free throws...knocked them both in.

How many years of non-varsity officiating does it take to be able to do varsity games?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Lol, if you knew my kid you wouldn’t even joke he’s a cheater. He couldn’t purposely cheat if he wanted to. He has issues but they are good ones. After you called him on it he stood 6-8 inches behind the line on his JV free throws...knocked them both in.

How many years of non-varsity officiating does it take to be able to do varsity games?
Used to be 3 years but I believe they’ve shortened it to 2

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:53 pm

I loved how your kid plays the game. I played for and coached with his coach. I heard them say "good job Ironman 92's kids' name" so many times Saturday. He plays so hard and is always in the right spot. The free throw cheater comment was a pure joke.

Two years and you can upgrade to varsity.

Jackie Moon
Riding the Bench

Post by Jackie Moon »

As you know the last key to every game is always, Play Hard and Have Fun, it was that way when you played and is now with these youngin's. I can assure you that I92's kid is the poster child for that "key to the game"!
As for two years and you move up to varsity, you still have to pass the written test so let me offer a suggestion, study really hard and ace the written test that may help compensate for your actual officiating grade! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Jackie Moon wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:08 am As you know the last key to every game is always, Play Hard and Have Fun, it was that way when you played and is now with these youngin's. I can assure you that I92's kid is the poster child for that "key to the game"!
As for two years and you move up to varsity, you still have to pass the written test so let me offer a suggestion, study really hard and ace the written test that may help compensate for your actual officiating grade! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those are the kids that make things go and make the game what it is. Great job with that Ironman.

Well.....95% of what I learned about the game of basketball came from you. So maybe it is time to look in the mirror.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Crabs brother, did Jackie start off the game with "quick"? Glad he is still on the sidelines helping young players with the game of basketball. Also, glad to hear you are back involved in the game too. Heard you called a good game the other night in the Jr. High tourney. Keep up the good works fellas.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

All around they were a pretty good group. Had a few crews that were youngish and learning. They seemed to let teams play physical this year more often and that was great. I have coached baseball a long time and may have chirped at officials here and there. Then later in life I started umping and got a full dose of "break it off in your butt crack" karma. If you ever want to see what these guys go through on a bad day go ump a small town softball tourney for grown ass men. They all seem to be under the impression that MLB scouts are overlooking their late 30s beer gut in that exact game. You haven't experienced the love of the game until you are getting punched in the head while breaking up a fight between 8 40+ fat, drunk men while playing a recreational kids game and competing over a 2 foot tall trophy. 'Murica! :roll: :D :lol:

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Not a complaint about referees or any certain crew. Just a couple genuine questions in general:

1. Why is the game called differently during the tournament than during the regular season (don’t pretend it isnt)?
If you’re going to let them play a certain way during the tournament why not let them play that way all year?

2. Is it true crews have been told to cut back on “traveling” calls? If true, how exactly do you determine which travels you wont call and what is this teaching these H.S. kids. This isnt the NBA and please dont turn it in to that farce of a league.

Clarification from officials would be greatly appreciated......

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

smurray wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:44 am Not a complaint about referees or any certain crew. Just a couple genuine questions in general:

1. Why is the game called differently during the tournament than during the regular season (don’t pretend it isnt)?
If you’re going to let them play a certain way during the tournament why not let them play that way all year?

2. Is it true crews have been told to cut back on “traveling” calls? If true, how exactly do you determine which travels you wont call and what is this teaching these H.S. kids. This isnt the NBA and please dont turn it in to that farce of a league.

Clarification from officials would be greatly appreciated......
For #1, I feel like the officials that you’re going to have during the tournament (especially those with tourney experience) tend to always let teams play more physical. There are 3-4 crews that we had this year that we immediately knew were going to be more physical games and we told the kids to adjust accordingly.

Return to “Boys Basketball”