Tournament! Games that don’t involve YOUR team.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Tournament! Games that don’t involve YOUR team.

Post by LucasDavenport »

Please feel free to contribute to this thread. Teams/ coaches/ Games you attend that don’t involve your team. Games where you can watch and relax a little and find positive things to post about.

Ironman92 posted a great thread earlier. Positive thread

Let’s try and do something similar for The Tournament.

We all tend to point out OUR players. Our kids.

Let’s make this thread about kids and coaches on other teams!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: Tournament! Games that don’t involve YOUR team.

Post by LucasDavenport »

Last night. Monday. I decided to bypass Jackson and drive to Waverly for D3 action.

Portsmouth v Portsmouth West rewarded me!!

I was impressed with Portsmouth’s intensity and crowd and bench intensity — especially at the start of the game.
West answered and by half had control of the game and truly controlled the game until the end.

Lattimore and McKinley were very good for The Trojans.

West did a nice job on Fraulini. He still had around 10. Didn’t force things.

I don’t think West choked or the Coaching staff did anything wrong — sometimes you just lose. No blame. Portsmouth Tied it late. Then after splitting 2 foul shots forced the issue. West threw it in the corner. An offensive foul was called. McKinley made a shot.

Great game.

West was better than I thought.

Bradford, Johnson, Davis And Bauer all could play.

Valley v Paint Valley was not as exciting — how could it be? I was impressed with Valley. Impressed with their staff/team connection. Definitely into the game.

Mitchell, Shope And Cunningham with Mollette— outside. Zaler made everything at the rim in the 4th quarter.

Very unselfish play last night by Valley.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I actually think Meigs will keep it somewhat interesting vs. Burg. Granted, I think Burg wins by 10-15 by the end, but I think through 3 quarters Meigs will be within striking distance before Burg pulls away.

Meigs plays some tough opponents on their schedule and has a scorer in Baer. Youth will hurt them in the end but I think it'll be a fun 8 vs 1 game to attend.

Oak Hill vs. Ironton will be an awesome game!

Alexander vs. Fairland could be interesting. Two good coaches going at it, a definite chess match.

Speaking of good coaches going at it, Chesapeake vs. Eastern is another one to keep an eye on.

ALL games at Jackson will be very physical!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Love this time of year! As a basketball junkie I love getting to watch games every night. Was at Waverly last night as well to take in the two games. Not sure we will see a more exciting game than the Portsmouth vs West game. Love the hustle and the energy from the crowd! Last second buzzer beater after a controversial call. Great game. Will be back at Waverly tonight and tomorrow night and then at Southeastern Friday and Saturday night. Great first week.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I’ll be taking a week of PTO, the first week of March, just to catch games at the Convo and around Columbus.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Sounds like Portsmouth v. West was a great game. As for Valley, imagine if Noel had stayed there (now at Chillicothe). Would've made them potentially a Regional team in D3.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Lucas,

Since you got another look at Portsmouth last night, do you think they have a shot against Adena? I definitely think they have the athletes capable to pull an upset, just not sure they can put enough points on the board.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I’m partial to Portsmouth and that gets in the way sometimes.

But, no. I think Adena wins.

Does Portsmouth have a chance. Sure. But it would be a huge upset. Huge. Like Shoot better than 50% from 3 and Adena can’t throw it in the ocean type of game.

Adena’s structure will win.

West should have last night. Do you think West could beat Adena ? I think that’s the answer to your question.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:40 am I’m partial to Portsmouth and that gets in the way sometimes.

But, no. I think Adena wins.

Does Portsmouth have a chance. Sure. But it would be a huge upset. Huge. Like Shoot better than 50% from 3 and Adena can’t throw it in the ocean type of game.

Adena’s structure will win.

West should have last night. Do you think West could beat Adena ? I think that’s the answer to your question.
No, I don't think West could beat Adena. But two different types of teams.

I think Portsmouth has more athletes and is more capable of pulling upsets. But, their lack of discipline and offensive woes can haunt them occasionally.

I think the OVC was pretty loaded, and the SVC was fairly down. That's why I think Portsmouth has a shot. I could see them winning by 1-2, or losing by 20+ and no inbetweens.

gobluehoops20
Waterboy

Post by gobluehoops20 »

Is the Garrison boy for Adena still out? If so Portsmouth could probably make it interesting if they make the game chaotic.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I think in order for Portsmouth to win they would have to press and create turnovers. The problem is with very little bench and considering foul trouble Gene cant really afford to press the entire game. Last night their pressure was effective against West but they didn't apply it until the fourth quarter. And Lattimore still fouled out with quite a bit of time left on the fourth quarter.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Coach Collins has been playing a couple of freshman and sophomore all year ,so at this point in the season I think Portsmouth bench is much deeper then when the season started .

I think Portsmouth can win this game and I'm aware it would be a huge upset ,but the athletes are there if they can put the ball in the basket. I look for a different approach in this game , Portsmouth is definitely the underdog but I think the kinda like that role right now

Return to “Boys Basketball”