The Post Season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

The Post Season ...

Post by pfloyd »

If you've spent any time on seops, you have an inkling that pfloyd likes the post season ... the one and done, win or go home, survive and advance season ... it's such a special time imo ... ALL "regular" season teams - players, coaches work hard to win their league championships or put themselves in position for high seedings in the post season sectional play ... I spent my time this sectional season at the Logan D2 sectional at Jim's Gym. I watched the "play in" games for the lower seeds - Circleville, Marietta, Westfall, New Lexington ... some excellent basketball ! Circleville taking New Lexington to OT to get the W ... loved it! watched a couple seniors Jay Styers (28 pts including a 28 ft three ball to send it to OT) and DJ Pickett (knocked down the winning 2 pointer as time ran out) step up in both regulation and the OT to advance Circleville and the young coaching staff of Roundtown to a SECOND game in the post season ... when I went to the high school today to watch this same Circleville team they would be taking on the #1 seed Sheridan ... I talked with both Coach Cassady and his JV coach, Coach Elswick, as they came into the gym - wished them well , chatted a little longer with Coach Elswick - he mentioned something that stuck with me - he has been with Coach Cassady at CHS for the last 3 years , Coach Cassady has been at Circleville for 4 years - a young coaching staff working to build a program ... Coach E mentioned that this will be the first time that CHS has played "a second game" in the post season under Coach Cassady's tenure ... seemingly a small step for a team but a BIG step for a young program ... they won the "play in" game ! their prize was the #1 seed !! ... but what it did really was allowed for more practice time, gave them a BIG positive to hang around their kids necks in the name of TEAM ... yep a BIG step forward for CHS ... today? taking on the #1 seed Sheridan Generals - what was the reward ? Circleville lost by 17 ... 64 - 47 ... BUT as a good coaching staff will do (and Coach Cassady/Coach Elswick/ Coach Sims fit the bill) they will break down today's game and find the positives - and there were many !!! The Tigers starting a couple sophomore guards played toe to toe with Sheridan in the first half trailing only by 3 when the buzzer sounded ! and that margin was on a last second shot at the buzzer !! - a positive ... the film/video will show a couple of sophomore guards - Riley Gibson/Evan Justice grew up in this game - showed they belonged on the court ... Gibson threw down 20 points ... both Justice and Gibson handled the pressure of the Generals for 32 minutes with ONLY 10 TOs!! - outstanding - a positive ... the Circleville TEAM were down in that first qtr. by 8 points but turned the Generals over 4 times in the 2nd period ... scored on a couple of Gibson drives into the paint ... a couple of sophomore guard 3 balls AND a couple "old" seniors in Pickett/Styers who added 9 points between them to help Circleville outscore the #1 seed in the 2nd qtr 20-16 ... which was 20-13 to get them into the 29-29 tie before Heller threw in the rainbow trey at the buzzer - a positive ... kids in pressure situations growing up in the heat of "a game" learning about TEAM, learning about themselves - a positive ... the Tigers, with the youngsters they have didn't have the horses to stay with Sheridan BUT for 2 quarters ... for 2 quarters in the post season ... I could see it in the players, in the young coaching staff for Circleville - Coach Cassady, Coach Elswick, Coach Sims ... the TEAM was learning how to win ... learning what winning feels like - a positive ... you only get THAT in the post season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: The Post Season ...

Post by pfloyd »

... the post season is when I have an opportunity to see, chat with coaches before/after games ... many times at their games but other times as they are scouting their possible upcoming opponent(s) in the next round ... prior to the Fairfield Union vs Marietta game at the Logan D2 sectional, the teams arrive early, the coaches walk around, talk among themselves, go through their OWN pre-game routine ... I as well have my own pre-game routine - get my Cheap Seat location scoped out , if there aren't many radio/cable guys in the house sometimes the Cheap Seats turn into "box seats" ! - laid out my "stuff" in the "Sky Box Seats" at LHS - napkin stat book - check, a mechanical pencil w/a backup-check, Twizzlers (and of late a full bag of cough drops) -check, game program - check ... I'm good to go ... good to go to the concession stand for my "usual" - 2 doggers plain, 2 waters - check .... "NOW I'M" good to go ! ... I'm NOT the only "man" in the house ! as I ran into Colin Woodside's dad (thank goodness that was figuratively as Mr Woodside is A BIG MAN - an ex-Cincinnati Bengal lineman IS that - big LOL) we chatted about Colin Woodside (a Cincinnati Bearcat/ played in 3-4 games redshirted and doing great)- Mr Woodside has always found time to chat with pfloyd - thank you sir ... he was standing talking to Mr Magill (Ryan Magill's father a sophomore starter for the current FU squad) - Mr. Magill introduced himself to me ... just as I have always found in my travels - the folks, the parents of the kids we watch are class acts - thank you Mr. Magill for introducing yourself ! don't be a stranger when you see pfloyd - yell at me !!! ... back in the gym , Coach Goodyear "the elder" does what HE does - kinda by himself standing by the bench area ... chatting with folks as they walk by ... I walked down from the Sky Boxes, walked across the gym to wish him & the Falcons the best in the game which was 40 minutes away from tipoff ... Coach G is a great guy, has always greeted me, gives me the time of day LOL not that he should at all but he does ... we talked about the games of the previous night, how important it is as the "better team" to come out and not give the underdog any indication that they "can" win the game ... now please picture this conversation - me, pfloyd, TELLING an outstanding coach/legend of coaching in the MSL, HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO PUT THE UNDERDOG IN THEIR PLACE - AS IF THIS IS NEWS TO HIM !!!!! LOL ... I started laughing when I was saying what I was say - I told Coach Goodyear "listen to me! I'm telling YOU these things as if it is "new wisdom" an epiphany that "I" - pfloyd - just came up with !!!" we both laughed , thanks Coach G for not rolling your eyes when I was "telling YOU" these things LOL ... I shook his hand, wished he, the coaching staff and the Falcons well ... the post season - great times ... times when pfloyd in aw of the coaches and the jobs THEY do - will "at times" put his foot in his mouth LOL ... the post season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the post season ... I know I have been posting on SEOPs now for over 13 years ... before I92 encouraged me to move my rankings to "South Beach" I posted on jjhuddle from 2000-2006 ... great times on the huddle where I made some great "forum" friends 93bulldog, I92 (who by the way has been posting as long as I in both places - but I never met until THIS year !!!) ... the post season on both "boards" is always amazing - the banter back and forth ... the agreeing to disagree with points made ... back in the day many many of us would get together at the Hall of Fame area at the Convo between games to introduce ourselves to each other - a great way to put faces with forum names ... many of us would sit together for the "all day sessions" of games or meet to sit in the school sections to support particular teams - many times back in the day - trojandave, biggdowgg, the Gallia crew of Ozzie, GAHSforever, Odie , myself, tartanblue, 93bulldog and many others would be sitting in either the Portsmouth section, Gallia Academy section as they played at the Convo ... now at the Convo for probably the last 12 years or so I have sat in the same spot for every game ... a little off the beaten path, in the second level - a great view of the games ... peoples know where to find me - and they do ! ... parents, coaches, seops posters, players past and present , fans of the game - the regulars have shared the Cheap Seats with pfloyd ... this year - same place ! second level - 93bulldog can tell me if I'm wrong as to the direction - but it's the 2nd level, west end of the Convo at just the right angle to see the entire floor, Lou Horvath on the PA , press row and anyone who enters the Convo searching for where their school is located ... feel free to stop up and join the conversations between games/half times/ before the games ... most who have met me know that I am not "unapproachable" LOL ... for the big games there will be a wide range of coaches from throughout the SE District either sitting in the same rows, or close by ... I personally enjoy listening to the coaches watch games - they have their own language LOL ... the post season IS a great time to watch hoops at THE Mecca of high school sports the Convo AND talk hoops, enjoy the games ... and listen to the Voice of High School Hoops in SEOhio - Lou Horvath ! more on Lou later ... the post season nothing better in HS sports ...

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Crazy the mention about JJ Huddle. I started on that site in 1999 and the VERY FIRST person I ever interviewed on a radio show was in fact JJ himself. These sites have come a long way since those days.

Live Like A Champion!
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Logangrad wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:07 pm Crazy the mention about JJ Huddle. I started on that site in 1999 and the VERY FIRST person I ever interviewed on a radio show was in fact JJ himself. These sites have come a long way since those days.
... nice !!! jjhuddle went after the $$$$$$$$ ... most of us left for greener pastures - landing on seops ...

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Nice seeing you yesterday before the craziness.

I had forgotten about JJHuddle. I work with Columbus firefighters and I think that was started simply to keep track of city league softball or the city fire softball team.

Then ... things changed.

I was on there. the_catalyst

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:20 pm Nice seeing you yesterday before the craziness.

I had forgotten about JJHuddle. I work with Columbus firefighters and I think that was started simply to keep track of city league softball or the city fire softball team.

Then ... things changed.

I was on there. the_catalyst
... always good seeing you as well ! if you're around there's some good hoops happening somewhere ! good to have Coach Scott stop for a chat as well - as you know I was a BIG fan of Coach Scott when he was at Chillicothe - an excellent coach, and he is learning "ALL" of the "other side" of being the head man this season AND handling it all well ... told him he should be proud of how his players have responded to the adversity this season ... shows ME as an outsider the respect those players have for Coach Scott and what he is doing with that program ... wish him well in the post season !!! 1st year head coach taking the troops to Basketball Thirty and ALL that that entails - good stuff ...

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Pfloyd. There were 2 reasons I joined. 1) to thank you and 2) to defend a local coach who was being undermined and run down in a very strategic way.

The fact you’ve come on today — says a lot about you. Everyone loses. But, man winning is more fun.

I’m very happy for The Court House kids. They took Coach Scott in and trusted him. That says a great deal about the kids and their parents. 4 seniors who were tired of losing and then receive a 26 year old coach who also took a chance on them.

I’m also happy for the Jackson community. Coach Morrow And his family are worth rooting for.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:44 pm Pfloyd. There were 2 reasons I joined. 1) to thank you and 2) to defend a local coach who was being undermined and run down in a very strategic way.

The fact you’ve come on today — says a lot about you. Everyone loses. But, man winning is more fun.

I’m very happy for The Court House kids. They took Coach Scott in and trusted him. That says a great deal about the kids and their parents. 4 seniors who were tired of losing and then receive a 26 year old coach who also took a chance on them.

I’m also happy for the Jackson community. Coach Morrow And his family are worth rooting for.
... winning IS more fun LOL !!! losing is only losing if you pack it in - accepting losing as "an end" ... losing is an opportunity for LEARNING if you take the time to look at what you did, didn't do etc... I'm all for learning from "losing/failing"... if you're afraid to put yourself out there where losing/failing IS a possibility - then you will never understand what winning IS or more to the point -that winning takes work, it doesn't just happen ... it is important to DO the work that it takes to win - sure makes winning THE best feeling ever ...which can be said for life as well ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:52 pm ... the post season ... I know I have been posting on SEOPs now for over 13 years ... before I92 encouraged me to move my rankings to "South Beach" I posted on jjhuddle from 2000-2006 ... great times on the huddle where I made some great "forum" friends 93bulldog, I92 (who by the way has been posting as long as I in both places - but I never met until THIS year !!!) ... the post season on both "boards" is always amazing - the banter back and forth ... the agreeing to disagree with points made ... back in the day many many of us would get together at the Hall of Fame area at the Convo between games to introduce ourselves to each other - a great way to put faces with forum names ... many of us would sit together for the "all day sessions" of games or meet to sit in the school sections to support particular teams - many times back in the day - trojandave, biggdowgg, the Gallia crew of Ozzie, GAHSforever, Odie , myself, tartanblue, 93bulldog and many others would be sitting in either the Portsmouth section, Gallia Academy section as they played at the Convo ... now at the Convo for probably the last 12 years or so I have sat in the same spot for every game ... a little off the beaten path, in the second level - a great view of the games ... peoples know where to find me - and they do ! ... parents, coaches, seops posters, players past and present , fans of the game - the regulars have shared the Cheap Seats with pfloyd ... this year - same place ! second level - 93bulldog can tell me if I'm wrong as to the direction - but it's the 2nd level, west end of the Convo at just the right angle to see the entire floor, Lou Horvath on the PA , press row and anyone who enters the Convo searching for where their school is located ... feel free to stop up and join the conversations between games/half times/ before the games ... most who have met me know that I am not "unapproachable" LOL ... for the big games there will be a wide range of coaches from throughout the SE District either sitting in the same rows, or close by ... I personally enjoy listening to the coaches watch games - they have their own language LOL ... the post season IS a great time to watch hoops at THE Mecca of high school sports the Convo AND talk hoops, enjoy the games ... and listen to the Voice of High School Hoops in SEOhio - Lou Horvath ! more on Lou later ... the post season nothing better in HS sports ...
I think we may have met back in the very early 90’s as you were an assistant golf coach at Logan and I was on the Jackson golf team. I could be mistaken.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

As long as I've been on preps, I still dont think I've passed my number of posts on huddle.

Gahs4ever and I were up around the 20,000 range.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:02 pm As long as I've been on preps, I still dont think I've passed my number of posts on huddle.

I was around 26,000 on the huddle but spent a lot of time on Sports and Trivia forum

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:04 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:02 pm As long as I've been on preps, I still dont think I've passed my number of posts on huddle.

I was around 26,000 on the huddle but spent a lot of time on Sports and Trivia forum
Not sure I ever got on that page.
Almost all mine were from 02, 03, 04 football season. Some of those game threads would reach 15-20 pages every week

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:55 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:52 pm ... the post season ... I know I have been posting on SEOPs now for over 13 years ... before I92 encouraged me to move my rankings to "South Beach" I posted on jjhuddle from 2000-2006 ... great times on the huddle where I made some great "forum" friends 93bulldog, I92 (who by the way has been posting as long as I in both places - but I never met until THIS year !!!) ... the post season on both "boards" is always amazing - the banter back and forth ... the agreeing to disagree with points made ... back in the day many many of us would get together at the Hall of Fame area at the Convo between games to introduce ourselves to each other - a great way to put faces with forum names ... many of us would sit together for the "all day sessions" of games or meet to sit in the school sections to support particular teams - many times back in the day - trojandave, biggdowgg, the Gallia crew of Ozzie, GAHSforever, Odie , myself, tartanblue, 93bulldog and many others would be sitting in either the Portsmouth section, Gallia Academy section as they played at the Convo ... now at the Convo for probably the last 12 years or so I have sat in the same spot for every game ... a little off the beaten path, in the second level - a great view of the games ... peoples know where to find me - and they do ! ... parents, coaches, seops posters, players past and present , fans of the game - the regulars have shared the Cheap Seats with pfloyd ... this year - same place ! second level - 93bulldog can tell me if I'm wrong as to the direction - but it's the 2nd level, west end of the Convo at just the right angle to see the entire floor, Lou Horvath on the PA , press row and anyone who enters the Convo searching for where their school is located ... feel free to stop up and join the conversations between games/half times/ before the games ... most who have met me know that I am not "unapproachable" LOL ... for the big games there will be a wide range of coaches from throughout the SE District either sitting in the same rows, or close by ... I personally enjoy listening to the coaches watch games - they have their own language LOL ... the post season IS a great time to watch hoops at THE Mecca of high school sports the Convo AND talk hoops, enjoy the games ... and listen to the Voice of High School Hoops in SEOhio - Lou Horvath ! more on Lou later ... the post season nothing better in HS sports ...
I think we may have met back in the very early 90’s as you were an assistant golf coach at Logan and I was on the Jackson golf team. I could be mistaken.
THAT could very well be I92 as I was the assistant golf coach at Logan from 1990 - 2010 ... some excellent golf played back at that time between Jackson, Logan, Marietta, Athens ... some excellent individual golfers for sure on all of those teams ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:08 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:55 pm
THAT could very well be I92 as I was the assistant golf coach at Logan from 1990 - 2010 ... some excellent golf played back at that time between Jackson, Logan, Marietta, Athens ... some excellent individual golfers for sure on all of those teams ...
Your first 3 years Jackson was league champs 8-)

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Well I haven't been around very long, witch is very obvious. It's very interesting to read about some of you guys, how you more or less got started doing this, and I will say do a very good job in what you do. As I have said to Pfloyd a couple times, I can really tell that he really loves doing this. It's also very easy to see that you all feel the same way as he does. I have been a fan of this site for probably 9-10 years, but just decided to start posting a few months ago. Keep up the good work, as I enjoy reading all of your posts, as well as quite a few other posters.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 pm Well I haven't been around very long, witch is very obvious. It's very interesting to read about some of you guys, how you more or less got started doing this, and I will say do a very good job in what you do. As I have said to Pfloyd a couple times, I can really tell that he really loves doing this. It's also very easy to see that you all feel the same way as he does. I have been a fan of this site for probably 9-10 years, but just decided to start posting a few months ago. Keep up the good work, as I enjoy reading all of your posts, as well as quite a few other posters.
VetteMan , glad you’ve crossed the line from reader to poster ! All of your posts are worth the read ! Good opinions and insight... thanks for posting !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:58 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 pm Well I haven't been around very long, witch is very obvious. It's very interesting to read about some of you guys, how you more or less got started doing this, and I will say do a very good job in what you do. As I have said to Pfloyd a couple times, I can really tell that he really loves doing this. It's also very easy to see that you all feel the same way as he does. I have been a fan of this site for probably 9-10 years, but just decided to start posting a few months ago. Keep up the good work, as I enjoy reading all of your posts, as well as quite a few other posters.
VetteMan , glad you’ve crossed the line from reader to poster ! All of your posts are worth the read ! Good opinions and insight... thanks for posting !
And ME being around so long just makes me old and bald lol ...

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The Huddle was great in the hay day but turned into North Korea. With Yappi going from the SWO Forum to the State Forum. Some went to FreeHuddle until JJ tried to sue them. Switched the name to Ohio Chatter.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I started at JJHuddle in high school under a bevy of different names, all song references. Honestly can’t even remember the final name, but I was referred here by a member over there and have been here since around 2006.

Been coaching in some form since I graduated HS and that’s why I’ll disappear for weeks at a time lol

Return to “Boys Basketball”