3/9 8PM Wheelersburg (24-0) v Alexander (17-7)

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: 3/9 8PM Wheelersburg (24-0) v Alexander (17-7)

Post by Hoopie74 »

Congrats Burg. Great game Alex,the future looks bright. One game at a time pirates. Good luck.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:13 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:15 pm Burg fans if Schwarzel does the game:

If he does guarantee he gets Holden and Truitt out of the game early.
No those two would get themselves out of the game early.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Great game tonight by both teams. Missed it but was able to listen to the play by play. Great job done by Mark Williams and Dennis DeCamp on WNXT.

They both went crazy when they called the intentional foul on Holden. Could have been a huge momentum swing but Alexander couldn’t take advantage of it.

I’ve not seen or heard a team shoot well from behind the arc and that was the case again tonight. IMO I still think it is because of the college 3 point line. It is at least 6 inches or more back from the HS line and these kids are squaring up behind it and it is causing problems. I would venture to guess that close to 70% of the missed 3’s tonight the announcers said “short” on every one of them. It’s hard to look down at what line you are behind and get yourself in shooting mode.

Can someone explain to me how a player 6’10” is not dominating both offensively and defensively at the HS level!!! How does said player only touch the ball 8 times in a game? Like someone said earlier he has to get around 12-15 or more touches in the lane. Come on down to Wheelersburg son. I can bet you get more than 8 touches in a District final. Be a nice returning lineup next year for Burg with Terry, McCorkle, Truitt and Miller plus one more. Add in the players from Burg’s JV squad and they would be very deep and strong next year.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:36 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 pm
mattash wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:02 pm Image

from 93dog lol
I wondered what it said, I thought maybe it just said wheelersburg. I guess I just have to say why?? Big trees fall hard that's something for the end of the season if you can truly be undefeated but that's JMO.
Better question.. who took the picture and uploaded It here. I get it. It’s cocky but honestly who cares? I’m sure they were made specifically for their undefeated regular season.
They said who uploaded it. Regular season is just a warm up for what really matters honestly, if you win your conference great, but everyone pays attention to tourney time.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:14 am Great game tonight by both teams. Missed it but was able to listen to the play by play. Great job done by Mark Williams and Dennis DeCamp on WNXT.

They both went crazy when they called the intentional foul on Holden. Could have been a huge momentum swing but Alexander couldn’t take advantage of it.

I’ve not seen or heard a team shoot well from behind the arc and that was the case again tonight. IMO I still think it is because of the college 3 point line. It is at least 6 inches or more back from the HS line and these kids are squaring up behind it and it is causing problems. I would venture to guess that close to 70% of the missed 3’s tonight the announcers said “short” on every one of them. It’s hard to look down at what line you are behind and get yourself in shooting mode.

Can someone explain to me how a player 6’10” is not dominating both offensively and defensively at the HS level!!! How does said player only touch the ball 8 times in a game? Like someone said earlier he has to get around 12-15 or more touches in the lane. Come on down to Wheelersburg son. I can bet you get more than 8 touches in a District final. Be a nice returning lineup next year for Burg with Terry, McCorkle, Truitt and Miller plus one more. Add in the players from Burg’s JV squad and they would be very deep and strong next year.
Yeah the intentional foul on Holden I didn't mind at all. I was at that end if the court and honestly I think he grabbed him to help brace his fall. He got caught in the air and looked like he was going to hit awkward and hard on his left side. When he grabbed his shoulders it slowed down his fall, it was the right call but I just thought it was more instinctual then intentional because he was falling pretty awkward.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Fun game to watch AND frustrating at the same time ... Alexander had the momentum after the Holden foul on Terry ...the lead AND the ball ! ... a quick 3 point attempt from the perimeter /a long with 2 TOs resulted in a 6 point swing ... game, set and match as Alex couldn't/didn't recover even though the clock & the scoreboard had them STILL in the game with 1:56 to play Alex only trailed by 4 points 43-47 ... a lot of the napkin stats have been posted - thanks 93bulldog ! good stuff !! ... but some key stats and "imo's" for me :

* Alex was 3/4 from the FT line ... tells me Caleb Terry never got the ball down low as often as he should have ... if you were at the game you would have seen what I saw - when Terry got the ball down low - he scored ! whether Holden was on him or not - Terry was able to get Holden on his hip and score the ball ! ... not enough touches down low ... with more touches comes more fgs for the big man AND more trips to the FT line (2/2) tonight from the line ... 4/8 from the floor ...

* My most underrated player in the TVC this year Dylan Mecum had an outstanding game! at both ends of the floor ... he did an outstanding job when he was assigned Holden on the defensive end - didn't give an inch ... hardnosed, scrappy player who gives you 100% for 32 minutes ... 13 points on the night ... DM HAD the game he had to have for Alex to have a chance - great job ...

* 2 more role players who had outstanding games - Kam Riley (12 pts) and Matt Brown (3 pts) ... Riley did what Kearns could not - he had a matchup that he could get to the rim with ! AND he did - HE too had THE game he had to have for Alex to get a W ...

* Alex ... 4/24 from behind the arc ...
* Wheelersburg 2/19 from behind the arc ...

* Wheelersburg's Matthew Miller (so) did an outstanding job defensively on Kearns

* I told LucasDavenport part way through the game - the difference in the 2 teams was that one (the burg) had a D1 player ... Tanner Holden (27 pts) ... more than half the Wheelersburg scoring ... when the game is close , burg with the lead , Tanner Holden WILL GET THEM THE "W" ... excellent FT shooter ... he has chinks in his armor that I've seen in the 2 games at the Convo... I've seen vs size both North Adam's size in the paint and Alexander size in the paint ... the burg will need more from everyone else if they are going much further in the post season ... but it is called the survive and advance season ... winning ugly is STILL winning and advancing which is the name of the game ...

* Wheelersburg had TIMELY scoring from both Trent Salyers (12) and JJ Truit (7) ... both were able to find their way across the lane when Alex got within "shooting" range ... both are the "unsung" heroes of the game AND the difference in the game ...

* Let's give the Wheelersburg interior defense lots of credit - the RUMOR of Holden/Truitt in the paint caused TO's every time Alex drove into the paint ... Kearns tried to make 1 too many passes practically every time he went into the paint - resulting in a TO's ... nice thought BUT when you HAVE the shot YOU take the shot ... IF Holden/Truitt come off of their man - sure pass it BUT both Holden/Truitt played disciplined D and never left Markins or Terry ... get to the rim and FORCE them to help ... great discipline/great defensive effort in the paint for WHS by their bigs ...

... best of luck to the Burg as they can continue to wear their "Undefeated" warmups ...

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

greygoose wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:15 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:14 am Great game tonight by both teams. Missed it but was able to listen to the play by play. Great job done by Mark Williams and Dennis DeCamp on WNXT.

Yeah the intentional foul on Holden I didn't mind at all. I was at that end if the court and honestly I think he grabbed him to help brace his fall. He got caught in the air and looked like he was going to hit awkward and hard on his left side. When he grabbed his shoulders it slowed down his fall, it was the right call but I just thought it was more instinctual then intentional because he was falling pretty awkward.

I'm confused! You said it was the right call but then you go and say Holden was trying to brace his foul, so what makes that an intentional foul???

There are intentional fouls in the last few seconds that are way worse than that play. I've seen players grab another player from behind by the jersey to stop the clock. That is an intentional foul but it never gets called.

Watching the video of it Holden could have gotten hurt bad if he had not of grabbed Terry

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Congrats to the burg

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

I thought the intentional foul call was correct. My question for officials out there does there have to be some kind of intent to hurt someone to make that call. I thought there were a couple where Alexander wrapped up Holden and no intentional was called. The fouls that weren’t called intentional didn’t look as bad but they were exactly the same basically wrapping your arms around shooters arms so he can’t get a shot up.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:35 am

I'm confused! You said it was the right call but then you go and say Holden was trying to brace his foul, so what makes that an intentional foul???

There are intentional fouls in the last few seconds that are way worse than that play. I've seen players grab another player from behind by the jersey to stop the clock. That is an intentional foul but it never gets called.

Watching the video of it Holden could have gotten hurt bad if he had not of grabbed Terry
Yes it was the correct call it was intentional but you said what maybe I didn't do a good job of explaining, I think he done it to avoid possible injury. He was in a really awkward position as he was going down,so he just reached out and grabbed the guys shoulders as he was going down. This slowed down his momentum and sort of turned him to land flat. I don't think it was intentionally trying to foul but more of a defensive move from possibly injury. Hope that makes sense, I didn't mind him take that foil just because it probably keep from injury. It's an intentional foul when you reach out, intentionally and pull the guy down from the shoulder area, both shoulders mind you, which is what he did. Neither guy got hurt and big man hit both free throws. The way he was positioned I was sitting there thinking no no, because he was going to hit at a bad angle.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

greygoose wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:14 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:35 am

Yes it was the correct call it was intentional but you said what maybe I didn't do a good job of explaining, I think he done it to avoid possible injury. He was in a really awkward position as he was going down,so he just reached out and grabbed the guys shoulders as he was going down. This slowed down his momentum and sort of turned him to land flat. I don't think it was intentionally trying to foul but more of a defensive move from possibly injury. Hope that makes sense, I didn't mind him take that foil just because it probably keep from injury. It's an intentional foul when you reach out, intentionally and pull the guy down from the shoulder area, both shoulders mind you, which is what he did. Neither guy got hurt and big man hit both free throws. The way he was positioned I was sitting there thinking no no, because he was going to hit at a bad angle.

Makes sense but what do you think about when a defender grabs the person with the ball from behind trying to stop the clock but is nowhere near the ball?

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

JTEK wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 pm I thought the intentional foul call was correct. My question for officials out there does there have to be some kind of intent to hurt someone to make that call. I thought there were a couple where Alexander wrapped up Holden and no intentional was called. The fouls that weren’t called intentional didn’t look as bad but they were exactly the same basically wrapping your arms around shooters arms so he can’t get a shot up.
It’s my understanding that it doesn’t necessarily have to be a non play on the ball. It could also be excessive contact can be called intentional. F1 in college. But again, it’s interrupting by each official and sometimes from game to game of that makes any sense. This is what I’ve been told...

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:08 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 pm

I wondered what it said, I thought maybe it just said wheelersburg. I guess I just have to say why?? Big trees fall hard that's something for the end of the season if you can truly be undefeated but that's JMO.
Better question.. who took the picture and uploaded It here. I get it. It’s cocky but honestly who cares? I’m sure they were made specifically for their undefeated regular season.
They said who uploaded it. Regular season is just a warm up for what really matters honestly, if you win your conference great, but everyone pays attention to tourney time.
Ok then the question would be why? Someone took a photo of the team on the way out. I doubt it was a coach. The intentional foul was horrendous. Beyond bad. Holden did not intentionally go into the air just so he could grab the other player for fear of hitting the floor. This was a common foul.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

This game was Alexander was probably the better team but Holden was just so much better. Sucks he’s by himself on Burg

I liked he changed up his offense during the game. Couldn’t drive since Terry is 6’10 so he started hitting mid range shots

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

from 93dog lol
I wonder if they will wear those vs Harvest Prep :lol:

My favorite is Africentric Girls Basketball

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Ok then the question would be why? Someone took a photo of the team on the way out. I doubt it was a coach. The intentional foul was horrendous. Beyond bad. Holden did not intentionally go into the air just so he could grab the other player for fear of hitting the floor. This was a common foul.
Not nearly as bad as when they painted something on the hill in front of the school a few years back in football then went out and got embarrassed by valley for the 3rd year in a row

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

JTEK wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:08 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Not nearly as bad as when they painted something on the hill in front of the school a few years back in football then went out and got embarrassed by valley for the 3rd year in a row

That's true and it will be another 30 years again before Valley wins vs the Burg

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:25 pm

from 93dog lol
I wonder if they will wear those vs Harvest Prep :lol:

My favorite is Africentric Girls Basketball
You mean will they wear them if they get beat by harvest prep? The shooting shirt is still relevant until they get beat. I just find it strange that someone took the picture to upload here to take a jab at the players. I would get it more if it was a group of fans wearing the shirts.

ballplayer1992
Freshman Team

Post by ballplayer1992 »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:17 pm This game was Alexander was probably the better team but Holden was just so much better. Sucks he’s by himself on Burg

I liked he changed up his offense during the game. Couldn’t drive since Terry is 6’10 so he started hitting mid range shots
Sucks you have to browse threads of teams that are still alive in the postseason to make unnecessary and ignorant comments because your squad has already been bounced from postseason play. Also, no team goes 25-0 by accident or by having only one talented player. The Pirates are solid top to bottom.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I took the pic on my way up the stairs during semi-finals in case Alex & Burg both won. I shared on it Facebook in a closed group for Athens county sports. It was posted in good fun, so relax.

I did not share it on peeps, somebody else did.

The intentional foul was called by a ref who has been officiating since the early 90's. He was 5 feet away, I'm sure he had the best look at what happened.

Return to “Boys Basketball”