Official Suspended by OHSAA

User avatar
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 13074
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Southeastern Ohio
Contact:

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by 93Bulldog » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 am

And by NFHS rule 10-6-4 the game should have began with a direct technical foul applied to the head coach of Whiteoak. Which did not happen.



bfry
Freshman Team
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by bfry » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 am

93Bulldog wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am
Whiteoak was given 3 different notifications on uniform regulations. They signed an affidavit online on 2/28 stating they had read and understand what uniform to wear. All schools received the same form. Whiteoak will be disciplined as well.
Which is ridiculous as well.



bfry
Freshman Team
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by bfry » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:47 am

I would say there is a communication problem if it has happened two years in a row.



wobycat
SEO
Posts: 2748
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 am

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by wobycat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:47 am

93Bulldog wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am
Whiteoak was given 3 different notifications on uniform regulations. They signed an affidavit online on 2/28 stating they had read and understand what uniform to wear. All schools received the same form. Whiteoak will be disciplined as well.
White oak should have to play shirts and skins next game with them being skins. I understand rules are in place for certain reasons but rules are in place to keep from teams gaining a competitive advantage. This rule would not have been enforced in a regular season game and we know it. Nor should it. Now if white oak was doing this to gain some sort of advantage, then yes, but it was probably an oversight, albeit a dumb one. But here’s the problem I have with it. The officials are the authority for that contest. They should be able to make exceptions to some rules when they feel it’s necessary or at least keeping them from influencing the final decision during the contest.



bfry
Freshman Team
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by bfry » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:49 am

93Bulldog wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 am
And by NFHS rule 10-6-4 the game should have began with a direct technical foul applied to the head coach of Whiteoak. Which did not happen.
I didn't claim mistakes weren't made. I did claim that the punishment seems just a bit much sir. I'm sure you know this official. You know his reputation and track record.



SCOH50
Freshman Team
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:36 am

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by SCOH50 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:23 am

IMO pure BS, if both coaches agree to it then it falls back on them, they accepted the decision, and once the games starts what you going to do, delay the game until it gets fixed? I mean the Ref in question has done a great job every time I have seen him ref. He never makes himself part of the game or the moment like I say a lot of guys do, he lets the players decided the outcome.

Hell what if funny to me, is that these other rules that just get ignored and referees suffer no consequences. Just a shame that both Girls and Boys Basektball may have lost one of the very best refs in southern ohio area.



LucasDavenport
SEOPS
Posts: 6117
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by LucasDavenport » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:23 am

End of the day Sunday. Everyone is a little tired and there’s snow to drive home in.

Whiteoak asks to wear Orange — official says “what the heck”.

Waterford obviously didn’t see an issue. They could have said — “no”.

The lucky uniforms are obviously no longer designated as such.

I’m betting this won’t happen next year.

Tough outcome for our referee who is one of our best. He’s one that you don’t hear his name when coaches discuss referees — when stories get exchanged about who you don’t want on the road or etc...


It’s all fun and games

SCOH50
Freshman Team
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:36 am

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by SCOH50 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:25 am

wobycat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:47 am
93Bulldog wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am
Whiteoak was given 3 different notifications on uniform regulations. They signed an affidavit online on 2/28 stating they had read and understand what uniform to wear. All schools received the same form. Whiteoak will be disciplined as well.
White oak should have to play shirts and skins next game with them being skins. I understand rules are in place for certain reasons but rules are in place to keep from teams gaining a competitive advantage. This rule would not have been enforced in a regular season game and we know it. Nor should it. Now if white oak was doing this to gain some sort of advantage, then yes, but it was probably an oversight, albeit a dumb one. But here’s the problem I have with it. The officials are the authority for that contest. They should be able to make exceptions to some rules when they feel it’s necessary or at least keeping them from influencing the final decision during the contest.
specially if both coaches agree to the Ref's decision, now if he would have said oh well its a forfeit could you imagine the Uproar?



LucasDavenport
SEOPS
Posts: 6117
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by LucasDavenport » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:50 am

People can’t seem to read brackets. You would think it’s an easy thing to do.

Apparently....

At the district level in our current 2 district champion format.

The 1 seed will always be home. Wear Whites!!
If you beat the 1 seed you become them in the next game. Wear whites!!

The 2 seed will be home for the District Semi. Wear Whites!! They will always be away for Final. Regardless of other outcomes. Wear Away Jersey!!

The 3 seed will always be away. Wear Away Jersey!!

The 4 seed will be away for District Semi Wear Away Jersey!! The 4 seed will be home for District Final ( see top rule). Wear Whites!!!

————————————————————-

If you are the 7 or the 10 and you advance to district play then you are now the 2!

If you are the 6 or 11 and... then you are now the 3!!

If you are the 5 or 12 or 13 and... you are now the 4!!

If you are the 8 or 9 or even the 16 and.... you are now the 1. Congrats and wear Whites!!

Simple ain’t it.
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.


It’s all fun and games

bradyquinnd
Waterboy
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Athens Ohio

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by bradyquinnd » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:51 am

This entire story is just crazy, IMO. if it is true what I am hearing, ... then SHAME on the OHSAA. They B---h about NOT having enough officials then turn around and do this to one of the BEST in SE Ohio??? then they get what they deserve. I get that rules are rules but come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, now you are going to hurt the next 4 teams he would have had in the District game and regional game because he will not be there. Good Call OHSAA!!!



Shoedaddy
Waterboy
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:13 am

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by Shoedaddy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Who told the Waverly and Sheridan players to go back in the locker room at halftime when a man was having a heart attack in the stands? I doubt protocol was followed at that time, but it was the right thing to do. As an administrator I feel as though if the same mistake is made more than once it is either 1) the fault of the person making the mistake (not the issue in this case) or 2) it must be the fault of the person explaining the process. The fact that something very similar, and rare, has happened twice at the same venue, makes me think there is some miscommunication taking place.



BBALL99
Riding the Bench
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by BBALL99 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Again, I dont understand why a team would even try and wear anything besides what they are supposed to wear. It is such a simple thing to follow a simple direction since it was stated earlier they had their white jerseys.

Who was the official who got into trouble? (Dont see why this would be a secret)

Why is only one official responsible?

What is Whiteoaks punishment going to be?



Mr 1000
Waterboy
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by Mr 1000 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:06 pm

I think this is great! The official should have been suspended, These guys think once they put those stripes on that they have total control of the universe. These officials don't make the rules and I am personally thrilled that someone finally stood up and put a stop to it. Hopefully said official will learn from this and realize he is human just as the rest of us are.



BBALL99
Riding the Bench
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by BBALL99 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:07 pm

bfry wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm
Ironman92 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm
This thread will get uglier until someone spills who reported it.

Someone important is my guess

I wouldn't say it's ugly. I just think people lack the use of common sense, which is what I believe all three officials used in this instance. Also, I don't think it would do any good to air someone out on this topic by name.
See, I don't think common sense was necessarily used. If that's the case, why do kids have to tuck shirts in? Why do they have any uniform regulations at all in any of our sports?

The common sense thing would have been for Whiteoak to follow the rule.



Myra Fleener
Riding the Bench
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by Myra Fleener » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:23 pm

I have seen many games this year and feel as though the officiating has been great. Kudos to the officials.

As the home team, Whiteoak should have worn their white uniforms as OHSAA policy states and not even asked. What even gives them the right? I find the "lucky orange" uniforms comment kind of funny. There's a reason the OHSAA has rules and regulations in place. I know it seems petty, but little things always lead to big things.



Mr 1000
Waterboy
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by Mr 1000 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:26 pm

wobycat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 am
bbjunky81 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 am
It's more flabbergasting that NOBODY on the Whiteoak staff knew about the jersey rule when there was the New Boston fiasco at the Convo last year. If that wasn't a clear reminder to all teams out there what the rule was, nothing is.

Whiteoak possessed the white jerseys and should have went in at warmups to change. My guess is the coaches thought it would take away a lot of warm-up time and didn't want to distract the kids...... which didn't end up working out as they lost by double digits anyway.

In terms of the official being suspended, I'm bipartial. I understand the 'rules are rules' thing, but the punishment seems a little severe for the "crime."
It’s called civility. Common sense. This is why I’m not in favor of governing bodies. I guess I’ll bever understand this world. The official did the right thing letting the kids play and he’s punished for it. SMH
The official did not do the right thing! He knew the rule and he failed to follow it. Lets not allow these guys to think they can do whatever they want. He got punished and I am thrilled that he did.



bfry
Freshman Team
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by bfry » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:27 pm

BBALL99 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:07 pm
bfry wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm
Ironman92 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm
This thread will get uglier until someone spills who reported it.

Someone important is my guess

I wouldn't say it's ugly. I just think people lack the use of common sense, which is what I believe all three officials used in this instance. Also, I don't think it would do any good to air someone out on this topic by name.
See, I don't think common sense was necessarily used. If that's the case, why do kids have to tuck shirts in? Why do they have any uniform regulations at all in any of our sports?

The common sense thing would have been for Whiteoak to follow the rule.

I don't know why they have uniform regulations to be honest. Wasn't the rolled shorts rule put in place? It's no longer enforced. Why? Common sense tells you that whether a kid rolls his shorts or not, has no bearing on the game. I think the official would tell you he made a mistake if going by the book. However, wiping him off of remaining games due to this is a bit excessive, in my opinion. I think that is the crux of the conversation.



Mr 1000
Waterboy
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by Mr 1000 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Myra Fleener wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:23 pm
I have seen many games this year and feel as though the officiating has been great. Kudos to the officials.

As the home team, Whiteoak should have worn their white uniforms as OHSAA policy states and not even asked. What even gives them the right? I find the "lucky orange" uniforms comment kind of funny. There's a reason the OHSAA has rules and regulations in place. I know it seems petty, but little things always lead to big things.
I agree 100%



Mr 1000
Waterboy
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by Mr 1000 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:32 pm

bfry wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:27 pm
BBALL99 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:07 pm
bfry wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm



I wouldn't say it's ugly. I just think people lack the use of common sense, which is what I believe all three officials used in this instance. Also, I don't think it would do any good to air someone out on this topic by name.
See, I don't think common sense was necessarily used. If that's the case, why do kids have to tuck shirts in? Why do they have any uniform regulations at all in any of our sports?

The common sense thing would have been for Whiteoak to follow the rule.

I don't know why they have uniform regulations to be honest. Wasn't the rolled shorts rule put in place? It's no longer enforced. Why? Common sense tells you that whether a kid rolls his shorts or not, has no bearing on the game. I think the official would tell you he made a mistake if going by the book. However, wiping him off of remaining games due to this is a bit excessive, in my opinion. I think that is the crux of the conversation.
I think allowing the official to think he has the authority to change rules would have been excessive. The state did the right thing by putting their foot down and sending this guys to the stands with the rest of us.



Older bird
Riding the Bench
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by Older bird » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:07 pm

I don’t want to seem like a stick in the mud but seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Home should wear white.
By not enforcing this yes official should b penaltized.
Is it the end of the world, no, But jersey color is a big one to let slip by.



Post Reply

Return to “Boys Basketball”