Fairfield Union 45 Zane Trace 51

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Fairfield Union 45 Zane Trace 51

Post by pfloyd »

Fairfield Union 45
Zane Trace 51 a final

... Tough matchup for FU in that they DID match up size wise - with length but as I posted in the pregame it WAS the finesse of FU vs the physicality of ZT ... in the end it came down to the Falcons having an offense that sets up with the perimeter game ... when FU got the ball down low - "down low" was from the blocks up/out while Zane Trace has an offense that sets up in the paint/ getting the ball "down low" - where "down low" was BELOW the blocks ... big difference ... the Falcons were 3/13 through the first 3 quarters before launching 10 treys in the 4th (4/10) ... ZT with the 3 ball not being THE priority went 3/6 from the perimeter ... the Falcons had the lead in the 1st period on an Evan Conley triple to open the scoring ... ZT forged the tie at 5-5 with a Nick Nesser medium range jumper and Cam Evans transition bucket ... FU took leads of 8-7 and 10-9 behind a 2nd triple by Conley, a drive and left handed scoop layup at the rim by Ryan Magill and a bucket on the block by Houston Harrah ... the 10-9 lead was the last lead of the game for the Falcons as Cam Evans knocked down his favorite shot a pull up mid range jumper to end the scoring in the 1st ... Zane Trace 11 Fairfield Union 10 after 1 ... the 2nd quarter the Pioneers went to it's strength in the paint as Colby Swain/Nick Nesser/ Triton Davidson each added a bucket down low on the blocks ... Cam Evans did what Cam Evans does best - take the ball into the paint - it's either points on fgs or the 6-0 jr guard goes to the line ... in the 2nd Evans went to the line ... 2/2 ... defensively ZT held FU to 2 fgs Conley/Harrah one each in the paint with the FU pg Conley adding 2/2 from the charity stripe ... Zane Trace 22 Fairfield Union 16 at intermission ... one thing you can count on with a Coach Eversole/Coach Goodyear coached team is that adjustments are made ... with FU going 2/11 from downtown in the first 2 quarters the Falcons come out looking to get better looks ... FU took only 3 treys in the 3rd ... with sophomore Ryan Magill dropping a deep one to draw FU to 20-22 before Evans hit another midrange jumper for a ZT 24-20 lead/ Huston Harrah with a drive to the hole for 2 ... 22-24 ZT ... Evan Conley went to the FT line for 2 dropped them both 24-24 ... where do you go when you need points - look for #10 Cam Evans the junior guard came thru as he added 6 points in the period and Triton Davidson a deuce ... FU would not go away as Chase Poston got his first fgs on back to back transition buckets (5 pts in the period) ... Zane Trace 33 Fairfield Union 30 after 3 ... the final quarter opened with Cam Evans on a mid range jumper 35-30 ZT ... Evan Conley drilled a trey 33-35 ZT ... that was as close as FU could get the rest of the way ... FU picked up 4 treys in the 4th on 10 attempts (2 Conley/1 each Poston and Harrah) ... drawing within 4 at 40-44 with :43.2 on the game clock ... ZT went 12/14 from the FT line in the final period ... Cam Evans with the ball in his hands went 7/9 in the 4th as the sr guard wanted the ball down the stretch ... Zane Trace 51 Faifield Union 45 a final ...

Pfloyd's Official "un-official" Napkin Stats - Fairfield Union

Scoring ... Evan Conley 20, Huston Harrah 12, Chase Poston 8, Ryan Magill 5
3 Pointers ... 7/23 ... Evan Conley 4, Chase Poston 1, Ryan Magill 1, Huston Harrah 1
FTs... 8/12
TOs ... 10
PnP ... 8 fgs/16 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/4 point in transition

... excellent season for the Falcons, backing up their District final appearance in 2018 with an appearance in the District final in 2019 ... only 8 fgs in the paint for FU told the story as the Falcons were forced to the perimeter where 7/24 from downtown wasn't enough vs a ZT TEAM who lives IN the paint with Nesser/Davidson and Cam Evans who as much as the posters tell me about his 3 point prowess - his GAME IS in the paint, and/or the mid range jumper and getting to the FT line ... FU could not stop Evans from getting into the paint or get him to give up the ball ... FU has some big time pieces returning for 2019-20 ... Ryan Magill/Chase Poston/Andrew Moll/Huston Harrah ... not a bad group of starters (4 ) with length - 6-2/6-4/6-5/6-5 ... the search begins to find a PG to fill the big shoes of Evan Conley ...

... I want to thank Coach Goodyear of FU ... before tonight's game Coach G came up to the scorer's table , thank me for all I do for basketball in the SE District ... Coach G has always greeted me before games ... a class act, outstanding coach and teacher of the game is Coach G ... thank you Coach Goodyear and the FU staff for the FU shirt !!! getting ready for next year begins before long, and summer hoops is but 12 weeks away ! ...

Pfloyd's Official "un-official" Napkin Stats - Zane Trace

Scoring ...Cam Evans 23, Nick Nesser 12, Triton Davidson 8, Chad Ison 3, Luke Johnson 3, Colby Swain 2
3 Pointers ... 3/6 ... Nick Nesser 1, Chad Ison 1, Luke Johnson 1
FTs ... 18/22
TOs ... 9
PnP ... 7fgs/14 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Points from midrange into the paint ... 10 points on midrange jumpers/ 14 points in the paint below the blocks ... 24 points total ... add the points from FT line from getting into the paint - 18 points ... 42 points total as the result of getting mid-range shots & getting into the paint ...

... the Pioneers move on to regional play ! Coach Kellough has been here before ... has the routines down for getting his troops ready at each level - sectional/district and now regional play ... Coach K stopped by the Cheap Seats after the game - I'm trying to talk about the game and Coach Kellough wants to know about my health LOL ... thanks Coach K for asking ... pfloyd wishes you and Pioneers the best in the Sweet 16 !

Return to “Boys Basketball”