Regional Final: Wheelersburg vs Harvest Prep

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: Regional Final: Wheelersburg vs Harvest Prep

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm
fbnut wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:36 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Why would you give credit to a stacked team? Burg was the underdog. If burg would have continued to shoot well, they’d had a chance to win. Burg missed four shots in a row in the 4th. I met some of the fans outside of harvest prep. A couple of people were nice but a lot of arrogance was floating around. I’m not giving credit. It’s easy to coach that team. D3 has four private schools in the finals. Imagine that.
Burg fans probably shouldn’t be talking about other fan bases being arrogant
Thought HP played a good hard nosed ballgame
Both teams talked a little trash, no harm in that
Burg blew it in the 2nd quarter, I guessing HP wasn’t scoreless in another period all year. Burg needed to capitalize on it and they didn’t
Burg was only down 5 at half and tied it in 3rd qtr. and yeah HP should play well. They are loaded. If anyone thinks that basketball in D3 is a level playing field, you’re just oblivious of what’s going on. Burg could have played that game 100 times and maybe win one or two. But burg players have been playing together except for one kid since grade school. I’d bet HP didnt grind it out like that.

They were actually only down 3 at half, 21-18. I still think the big point of the game was when Burg was down 32-29 and had to open 3's to tie and possibly take the lead. Missed both and HP finished the game on a 20-9 run.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Why would you give credit to a stacked team? Burg was the underdog. If burg would have continued to shoot well, they’d had a chance to win. Burg missed four shots in a row in the 4th. I met some of the fans outside of harvest prep. A couple of people were nice but a lot of arrogance was floating around. I’m not giving credit. It’s easy to coach that team. D3 has four private schools in the finals. Imagine that.
Burg blew it in the 2nd quarter, I guessing HP wasn’t scoreless in another period all year. Burg needed to capitalize on it and they didn’t
Burg was only down 5 at half and tied it in 3rd qtr. and yeah HP should play well. They are loaded. If anyone thinks that basketball in D3 is a level playing field, you’re just oblivious of what’s going on. Burg could have played that game 100 times and maybe win one or two. But burg players have been playing together except for one kid since grade school. I’d bet HP didnt grind it out like that.
I don’t disagree but I’ll say the same thing now as I do to the people accuse the burg as being the “Scioto County all stars” hate the system not the school, kids or community. By looking at the brackets it appears all 4 teams left in D3 are private.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

fbnut wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:53 pm
I don’t disagree but I’ll say the same thing now as I do to the people accuse the burg as being the “Scioto County all stars” hate the system not the school, kids or community. By looking at the brackets it appears all 4 teams left in D3 are private.

But that's okay that there are 4 private schools in DIII finals, but heaven forbid Burg or NB or any other school have a kid decide to come there and it's pandelerium!!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:53 pm
I don’t fault any kid looking to play for a great team but the argument that HP is similar to Burg because people tag them as a “county all star” team is just plain stupid. When kids come to Burg the academics don’t get easier, I could make the argument that it may be more tougher.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

No wonder Trimble barely beat them in football. Just shows there is no difference from D4 to D3. Harvest Prep and Africentric go from beating a 22-0 Trimble team to beating a 22-0 Wheelersburg team

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

What's comical is Burg fans having the nerve to call Harvest Prep Columbus City all-stars....They just stack their teams a little better than Burg has stacked teams in Football, Basketball ,and Baseball...… They have larger Population to stack a better Team so Burg Fans are Butt Hurt. Harvest Prep did to Burg what Burg is doing to Southeastern Ohio teams...Drawing in the better players in the area to play at Burg thus building a travel Team. Only Difference is Population..... No problem to Burg fans when they run through the district looking like Goliath...When they have to play a Team who does same thing with a large population it's not fair.....

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:24 pm No wonder Trimble barely beat them in football. Just shows there is no difference from D4 to D3. Harvest Prep and Africentric go from beating a 22-0 Trimble team to beating a 22-0 Wheelersburg team
Basketball and football. Two different sports. Basketball needs addressed differently. Two D1 kids can make your basketball team really really good and quickly

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

mrwonderful wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:29 pm What's comical is Burg fans having the nerve to call Harvest Prep Columbus City all-stars....They just stack their teams a little better than Burg has stacked teams in Football, Basketball ,and Baseball...… They have larger Population to stack a better Team so Burg Fans are Butt Hurt. Harvest Prep did to Burg what Burg is doing to Southeastern Ohio teams...Drawing in the better players in the area to play at Burg thus building a travel Team. Only Difference is Population..... No problem to Burg fans when they run through the district looking like Goliath...When they have to play a Team who does same thing with a large population it's not fair.....
98% of burgs roster are kids that have went to burg since kindergarten. When a kid comes to Burg, the expectation raises, academically and athletically. If you think burg let’s kids just walk the halls because they can score a basket or throw a touchdown pass, you’re sorely mistaken. Preparatory schools do not compare to the hardships that public schools must endure.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Generally I was speaking of entire sports teams in general including girls and boys programs.in my eyes it’s the same recruiting but on a different level you have a much larger population in Columbus compared to 3-4 county’s from where you get recruits with lesser population. It just shows more on basketball teams at these private schools because they want to play basketball but I wonder how many other recruits they have in all other sports girls and boys. Compared to Wheelersburg where all sports girls and boys come in in junior high or high school. You add up recruits from all sports and I believe Wheelersburg has as many or more than these private schools. Again that’s my train of thinking here, so in reality what’s the difference beteeen the two. Just my two cents here.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

So what’s the difference between HP and Wheelersburg? They both get transfers. Ohsaa said Burg has 15-30 out of district kids in football. Wheelersburg has 5 move ins in basketball

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Prime Time wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:36 pm Generally I was speaking of entire sports teams in general including girls and boys programs.in my eyes it’s the same recruiting but on a different level you have a much larger population in Columbus compared to 3-4 county’s from where you get recruits with lesser population. It just shows more on basketball teams at these private schools because they want to play basketball but I wonder how many other recruits they have in all other sports girls and boys. Compared to Wheelersburg where all sports girls and boys come in in junior high or high school. You add up recruits from all sports and I believe Wheelersburg has as many or more than these private schools. Again that’s my train of thinking here, so in reality what’s the difference beteeen the two. Just my two cents here.
Who are these recruits?

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I don’t think basketball needs addressed differently, because here in Southeastern Ohio you can’t recruit the kind of talent that lies in Bigger city’s. I think what needs done is to assign a higher number to kids transferring in to these schools which in turn will move them up a division and make it fairer for all teams involved.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:37 pm So what’s the difference between HP and Wheelersburg? They both get transfers. Ohsaa said Burg has 15-30 out of district kids in football. Wheelersburg has 5 move ins in basketball
You have to know the region of Wheelersburg. Burgs town isn’t that big. You can drive 6 miles and be in school district and 6.5 and be in Sciotoville, South Webster, or Franklin furnace. Those CB numbers are stemmed from those kids that have went to burg since elementary but haven’t lived in district. This is the misconception. One kid that starts for burgs basketball team came from a neighboring school when he was a freshman
Last edited by wobycat on Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Quit complaining. Accept that Burg had a phenomenal year, some of what I've read, it appears it was probably their most successful in program history. Congrats to the Pirates.

wobycat
SEOPS

Re:

Post by wobycat »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:44 pm Quit complaining. Accept that Burg had a phenomenal year, some of what I've read, it appears it was probably their most successful in program history. Congrats to the Pirates.
I’m not complaining just talking facts about the difference in basketball with prep schools. Burg did great this year.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Don’t know names but I’m sure people can name them and Ohsaa says 15-30 from above post I’m not just talking boys basketball ,all sports girls and boys. Another point is what about kids that has been in a district all there school days and finally get to 9-12 grades and then only 12-15 on a team and all of a sudden no spots for them

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Footballfan96 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:13 pm I’m not even from burg I’m from nelsonville I believe in equal rights in sports it’s not fair for a school to go out and buy players like some schools do look at the tuition costs to go to these schools who has that kind of money laying around extra even people who have good paying jobs don’t have that kind of money those schools operate just like universities
The state of Ohio has for years had what they call "Edchoice" vouchers that are given (after an application process) to children in low income, disadvantaged poor performing public school districts (usually big city districts) that want to transfer to parochial or catholic schools and they keep expanding the number of poor performing schools yearly, elementary thru high school. The last data year I saw was 2015 when there were 255 schools in 31 counties (73 in Franklin county alone who do this) so kids can go to the school of their choice with the state paying for it with no out of pocket for parents. Most of the schools are in Cuyahoga, Montgomery, Franklin and Hamilton counties. Imagine that !!!!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... qct2CLF82B
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Prime Time wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:49 pm Don’t know names but I’m sure people can name them and Ohsaa says 15-30 from above post I’m not just talking boys basketball ,all sports girls and boys. Another point is what about kids that has been in a district all there school days and finally get to 9-12 grades and then only 12-15 on a team and all of a sudden no spots for them
That’s what I’m trying to say to you. 98% of burg kids have been in burgs school their whole life. Burg is a unique place where you can be in the Wheelersburg township but not in Wheelersburg school district. That’s why you see a higher CB number. Not because kids move into play in high school.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:42 pm You have to know the region of Wheelersburg. Burgs town isn’t that big. You can drive 6 miles and be in school district and 6.5 and be in Sciotoville, South Webster, or Franklin furnace. Those CB numbers are stemmed from those kids that have went to burg since elementary but haven’t lived in district. This is the misconception. One kid that starts for burgs basketball team came from a neighboring school when he was a freshman
Wrong. It’s since 7th grade. Burg should probably be D2 in basketball and D4 in football. Doesn’t make sense that a school like Adena should have to play schools like HP and Wheelersburg that can recruit kids from multiple school districts.

Ohsaa really dropped the ball on private’s and public open enrollment. Trotwood has averaged 100 points in the D2 tournament in all blow outs

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

First ... Congratulation to Wheelersburg on a great season. Undefeated & Elite 8

I said all year Wheelersburg was the most talented team in the Region. I stand corrected!! Wheelersburg was just as talented as anybody in the Region but not more talented. Everybody wanted to say “Wheelersburg doesn’t have a chance”, “20+”, “The Talent isn’t close”, etc. BUT everybody was just looking at athleticism and was not taking into consideration that “skill set” is part of “Talent”. Wheelersburg was not as athletic as HP but Holden’s and his supporting case’s skill set made up for a lot .... as I predicted. If Wheelersburg makes shots during that 4 minute stretch early in the 4th then it would have been a 1 or 2 possession game at the end.

Posters do not ruin it for the kids!! Wheelersburg had a great season. Lose with some class! In my opinion Wheelersburg was just as talented as Harvest Prep but didn’t play as well as Harvest Prep. It does not take away from the year they had.

Does any posters think it is ironic that Wheelersburg fans are acting just like Madison football fans acted after that re-match did not work out the way they wanted it! Of course at that time Wheelersburg posters were telling Madison fans to lose with class. Karma!! Lol!!

OK .... I’ll wait for the fun to start!!
Last edited by ItsMyOpinion on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”