2019 OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championships...Includes Seven Private Schools

radiodavel
JV Team

2019 OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championships...Includes Seven Private Schools

Post by radiodavel »

2019 OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championships...Includes Seven Private Schools https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2019 ... te-schools

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: 2019 OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championships...Includes Seven Private Schools

Post by FANOSPORTS »

.......and 2 publics in DII that are magnet schools in their areas that have to face off against each other in the DII semis anyway with Buchtel - Trotwood. In both boys and girls combined you'll probably have 6 of the 8 overall champs that are either a Catholic, Parochial or Magnet Public (Toledo Rogers, Trotwood) winning titles. The girls last week averaged 3,025 in attendance with a grand total of 36,298 fannies in the seats with the DI, 2 & 3 Champs bringing the least number of fans. The boys will more than double that amount plus some but It's getting worse every year as more people are getting turned off by the AAU super team concept at the high school level.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Prime Time
All State

Re: 2019 OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championships...Includes Seven Private Schools

Post by Prime Time »

I still say change the CB number on transfers coming in and this might move these win at all costs schools up a division and then these school districts might curb some but they will find ways to get around that also, but first change the CB number for move ins

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:29 am .......and 2 publics in DII that are magnet schools in their areas that have to face off against each other in the DII semis anyway with Buchtel - Trotwood. In both boys and girls combined you'll probably have 6 of the 8 overall champs that are either a Catholic, Parochial or Magnet Public (Toledo Rogers, Trotwood) winning titles. The girls last week averaged 3,025 in attendance with a grand total of 36,298 fannies in the seats with the DI, 2 & 3 Champs bringing the least number of fans. The boys will more than double that amount plus some but It's getting worse every year as more people are getting turned off by the AAU super team concept at the high school level.
With school choice and open enrollment as ordered by the State Legislature, every school is a magnet school if they want to be.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Prime Time wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:14 am I still say change the CB number on transfers coming in and this might move these win at all costs schools up a division and then these school districts might curb some but they will find ways to get around that also, but first change the CB number for move ins
I agree, any move in and the school should have to compete at the DIII level, 2 moveins and they become DII, and 3 or more they will have to play in DI. Oh, that’s NCAA levels

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Go to 5 divisions. That will help some ?!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:28 am
Prime Time wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:14 am I still say change the CB number on transfers coming in and this might move these win at all costs schools up a division and then these school districts might curb some but they will find ways to get around that also, but first change the CB number for move ins
I agree, any move in and the school should have to compete at the DIII level, 2 moveins and they become DII, and 3 or more they will have to play in DI. Oh, that’s NCAA levels
Agree. I live 1.5 miles from HP. It's kinda funny that Harvest Prep is located smack dab in the middle and bordering the Groveport, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg and Canal Winchester local school districts and is within 1-4 miles of the Columbus City schools of Independence, Marion Franklin and Walnut Ridge. The physical address on Gender rd. and proper name per OHSAA is "Canal Winchester Harvest Prep" but I'd venture to say that over 90% of their school enrollment have never attended or ever lived in Canal Winchester. This and other schools even with the CB formula could care less with such a close and huge population area to get kids from and when people try to compare this to "open enrollment " schools in less populated parts of the state I just chuckle.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

What division do you think Harvest Prep was participating in before Competitive Balance came into effect?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Harvest Prep would be D4 without competitive balance - its CB number is 113.

I agree the magnet private AND public schools are not good for the game, but it's hard to regulate them without one of the schools finding a loophole.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

School choice and rights to participate in extra-curricular is a right that is legislated by the State Legislature. The 13 exceptions are formulated based on what the law allows. When the OHSAA has tried to circumvent the laws they have lost. Like it or not as long as open enrollment, vouchers and school choice are mandated by the state then these schools will exist. HPS, would be a 4, moving them up has made things tougher on them, as it did St V this year and has Wellington and Africentric the past few years. And since CB has been a thing, public’s have fared better.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I would say moving up to Division III has not made things tougher on Harvest Prep, given that they just won their first state title ever, as a Division III school.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:34 pm I would say moving up to Division III has not made things tougher on Harvest Prep, given that they just won their first state title ever, as a Division III school.
They would probably have won multiple titles in D4 if ohsaa didn’t hit them with the death penalty. Ohsaa got on them a few years ago and forced players back to their original school district.

Akron SVSM made ohsaa so mad that they put harvest prep on probation

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

They didn’t even make it out of districts their last one or two years in D4.

Amazing what I can read, and learn, about a team who participates in my league whilst reading SEOPreps and learning from primary sources such as Raider6309.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

What year did Harvest Prep move up to Div-3, probably in the last 3 or 4 years ? I remember mayby in 2008, when the Regional Semi Finals, and the Regional Finals were still held at the Fairgrounds Col, that Oak Hill beat Harvest Prep in the Reg Semi, and then lost to Worthington Christian in the Reg Finals in Div-4. I think I'm right that Oak Hill then won the Div-4 State Championship the next year. I may be wrong, but I believe that was the year that not only did the OH boys team win the State Championship, but there Girls team also played in the State Championship game.

Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

I say look at to our neighbor and the Indiana HS Athletic Association. They base their divisions on enrollment AND tournament success. It is based on two-year periods but if you win sectional, districts, regionals, or state titles, you accumulate points. Once you reach a certain amount of points, you get moved up to the next division. Keep winning and you keep getting moved up.

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

They're flaws in every states system.

Return to “Boys Basketball”