OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championship Thursday Attendance Numbers...Disappointing

radiodavel
JV Team

OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championship Thursday Attendance Numbers...Disappointing

Post by radiodavel »

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2019 ... appointing

enigmaax
All State

Re: OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championship Thursday Attendance Numbers...Disappointing

Post by enigmaax »

radiodavel wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 am OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championship Thursday Attendance Numbers...Disappointing

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2019 ... appointing
I’m confused by the complaint in the article.

It has been a few years since I’ve been to the State tourney, someone help me out.

Previously, they cleared the arena after every game? But now you can buy one ticket to see both semis in the same division?

The tweet says, “Way too long to be stuck in the arena” or something like that. So, people are unhappy that they get two games without having to leave?

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Re: OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championship Thursday Attendance Numbers...Disappointing

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I wasn’t at the game so I don’t know from experience but from texts I received. Way too long between games. Instead of starting one game after the other, they wait to start the second game of a session. In turn you are in the arena between games with nothing to do. With single game sessions, you could go to the car, tailgate or get something to eat. That is what I’m hearing.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:18 pm I wasn’t at the game so I don’t know from experience but from texts I received. Way too long between games. Instead of starting one game after the other, they wait to start the second game of a session. In turn you are in the arena between games with nothing to do. With single game sessions, you could go to the car, tailgate or get something to eat. That is what I’m hearing.
I wonder how long it is between games. And I assume this means there is no re-entry once you are there for the first game?

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

According to what I received from the OHSAA, there are 47 minutes between games in the semifinal sessions...broken down like this:

10 minutes for the on-court pictures of each of the semifinal teams
30 minute warm up clock
7 minutes for the Star Spangled Banner and team introductions
Tip-off

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Oh wow 17 minutes between the end of the game and when the next teams warm up. Americans love to complain :lol:

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:29 pm Oh wow 17 minutes between the end of the game and when the next teams warm up. Americans love to complain :lol:
Actually, it's just 10...and they're probably sweeping the floor too during the picture time.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

That is very similar to the information that I have received. Wasted time for team pictures and public relations items. The question I have is “Why can’t these things can be taken in practice facilities with all the iconic OSU items in front or behind teams?”

Also I was told they extended the half-time period to 15 min. Can anybody confirm this?

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I was there and didn’t notice it. But, I’m not there with a big group of guys who park in the Olentangy Parking lots and cook out and drink beer between Games.

Change always creates issues.

Think about what is being complained about. We are not forced to leave and come back in —- instead we have to stay in here in this nice arena and there are 47 minutes between games!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

Attended 3 sessions of the Semi-Finals. Complaining about the amount of time between games-Really! It was no big deal. Get up and go for a walk-come back and watch game 2. If that was your complaint then please don't go. Stay at home.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Wow, really didn’t expect that 👈(sarcasm alert)

That’s what you are going to get with so many private schools. The casual fan is not going to show up to watch them.

You make a private tourney (2 divisions) and a public tourney ( keep 4 divisions) the fans will come back.

Take the team I follow, Wheelersburg. Last week in the Regional final it was probably 2,000 fans on the Burg side to around 200 on the Harvest Prep side, so then you put 4 private schools in the DIII semifinals and low attendees what you will gain so quit crying OHSAA and do something about it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

UC/UNC/Tenn playing in Columbus does not help attendance

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:28 pm That is very similar to the information that I have received. Wasted time for team pictures and public relations items. The question I have is “Why can’t these things can be taken in practice facilities with all the iconic OSU items in front or behind teams?”

Also I was told they extended the half-time period to 15 min. Can anybody confirm this?
They don't want their picture shot in a practice facility, they want it done on the game floor, where they see the Buckeyes play. 10 minutes...big deal. We could easily make-up for that, if it's such a big deal, by cutting the warm-up down to 25 minutes and a few minutes off the long introductions.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:29 pm Oh wow 17 minutes between the end of the game and when the next teams warm up. Americans love to complain :lol:
Yep, kind of what I figured. A bunch of nobodies thinking that the whole weekend is about them. 10 minutes for kids to capture THEIR experience of a lifetime, oh my god what an inconvenience! 10 extra minutes for a team to prepare and adjust to the biggest stage of their career, oh the humanity of having to sit still for it! Everything else is just the same as waiting between a JV and Varsity game (wonder if those people boycott Senior Night, when *gasp* it might take 30 minutes between games). I’m sure they could find something stupid to post about on social media to kill some time.

It is also hilarious that the quoted tweet threatened to take their business to the Big Ten tourney instead. So, okay, you aren’t at the games for the kids anyway. And get ready for more time between games, longer halftimes, AND TV time outs every 4 minutes DURING the game. Yes, that time-saving alternative will certainly show that silly high school organization.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I'm good with ALL time between games ! the KIDS deserve ALL the time they need to celebrate THEIR "moment" ... as far as the "fans" (if you ARE a fan of the game - it doesn't matter how long it is between games ! - you're talking hoops with friends/family/coaches/parents -IT'S ALL GOOD !!!) ... I'm not a fan of assembly-line basketball LOL ... take some time to digest the game that just completed , visit, talk, talk about the game coming up next , ENJOY THE GAME OF HIGH SCHOOL HOOPS ! ... it's for the KIDS, THE ATHLETES, THE COACHES, THE SCHOOLS ... take time to truly enjoy the whole atmosphere created by high school hoops ... if you want to just watch games one, the next, the next , the next ... turn on the tv ... there's so much more to "the game" than "the game" - some will get it (the true fans of the game) some will not ...

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:32 am ... I'm good with ALL time between games ! the KIDS deserve ALL the time they need to celebrate THEIR "moment" ... as far as the "fans" (if you ARE a fan of the game - it doesn't matter how long it is between games ! - you're talking hoops with friends/family/coaches/parents -IT'S ALL GOOD !!!) ... I'm not a fan of assembly-line basketball LOL ... take some time to digest the game that just completed , visit, talk, talk about the game coming up next , ENJOY THE GAME OF HIGH SCHOOL HOOPS ! ... it's for the KIDS, THE ATHLETES, THE COACHES, THE SCHOOLS ... take time to truly enjoy the whole atmosphere created by high school hoops ... if you want to just watch games one, the next, the next , the next ... turn on the tv ... there's so much more to "the game" than "the game" - some will get it (the true fans of the game) some will not ...
Amen.

The funny part is the tweeter not only feels justified but arrogant enough to believe his group can set things straight.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk

Return to “Boys Basketball”