Ironton boys basketball job?

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Re: Ironton boys basketball job?

Post by Bobevans »

Nice to see that Ironton got it right and hired the best coach that applied. Good job superintendent and school board. Now put this topic to rest

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Outstanding hire for I'town !!! ... Coach Fitch is one of those coaches who does it right - fundamentally sound TEAMS, Defense Defense Defense and then MORE Defense ... PJ Fitch coached TEAMS don't back down - meaning NO opponent is looked at in aw, ALL opponents are respected BUT "we - the Coach Fitch Team" will give you all you can handle , Coach Fitch Teams come to play ... looking forward to seeing the Coach Fitch led I'town Tigers on the court this season ! - best of luck Coach Fitch - pfloyd

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Congratulations PJ Fitch. Pike County’s loss is Ironton’s gain.

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

smurray wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:34 am Congratulations PJ Fitch. Pike County’s loss is Ironton’s gain.
Very true Smurray.

Best of luck to Coach Fitch and the Tigers. Ironton got a good one.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Very good hire by Ironton......Coach Fitch did an outstanding job at Western Pike. He takes over a program that has a very good history despite Ironton's football success overshadowing it. He has some work to do in 2019-2020 with starters Charlie Large, Ethan Wilson,and Ahren Barnes all graduating. Reid Carrico will be back for his junior season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats Coach P.J.Fitch. Ironton has hired an outstanding coach.

Bearcats80
Freshman Team

Post by Bearcats80 »

I also heard Lafon has resigned as AD.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Bearcats80 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:33 am I also heard Lafon has resigned as AD.
If that is true then good for Ironton. Wonder why he would want to resign?

Bearcats80
Freshman Team

Post by Bearcats80 »

Not sure of the reason but my source has very close ties to the school and says it’s true.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

GalliaTribe wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:40 am
Bearcats80 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:33 am I also heard Lafon has resigned as AD.
If that is true then good for Ironton. Wonder why he would want to resign?
Move up the ladder maybe. Be an AP, or central office?

Who is front runner to be new AD?

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

I played high school football (Chesapeake) with a guy who is evidently a really good AD in Michigan. Probably be worth a look to bring him in. He was the national AD of the year a year or two ago. Won a couple other awards too I believe. Might be worth a call from the Ironton faithful to get someone really good.

https://www.candgnews.com/sports/roches ... nor-102606

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

They are doing away with the full time AD position. It will most likely be a supplemental. Really no need for a full time AD in the VIC. From what I understand LaFon did move to the central office. All good moves

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Bobevans wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:19 pm They are doing away with the full time AD position. It will most likely be a supplemental. Really no need for a full time AD in the VIC. From what I understand LaFon did move to the central office. All good moves
Bad move imo.

Schools need a full-time AD if you have over 500 students. That job is no longer just for pumping up balls, you need someone who understands growing your programs and keeping booster clubs engaged and healthy.

Duck
Waterboy

Post by Duck »

Bobevans wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:04 am Nice to see that Ironton got it right and hired the best coach that applied. Good job superintendent and school board. Now put this topic to rest
They did not. They had the opportunity to hire an NAIA Hall Of Fame Coach with 800 wins but did not.. Somebody dropped the ball. :shock:

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Now just who was the NAIA coach

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Duck wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:56 pm
Bobevans wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:04 am Nice to see that Ironton got it right and hired the best coach that applied. Good job superintendent and school board. Now put this topic to rest
They did not. They had the opportunity to hire an NAIA Hall Of Fame Coach with 800 wins but did not.. Somebody dropped the ball. :shock:
Don't know who you're talking about, but I wouldn't assume the guy would make a great high school coach just cause he was a successful NAIA head coach. Webster hired a former NAIA coach about 10 years ago, and the guy was running 45 minute practices by the end of his second year. Dude was obviously not hungry to build a program or win at that point in his career and the results definitely showed.*

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I had the pleasure of talking to Coach Fitch Wednesday at the Lynchburg Clay Shootout ... first time I had met Coach Fitch in person, have seen the results of his coaching/teaching of the game at Eastern Pike and Western Pike many times from the Cheap Seats - I have been a big fan of the product that Coach Fitch puts on the court no matter where he has been ... disciplined teams, fundamentally sounds teams, teams which know how to play the game, know how to play defense ...defense and more defense ... nothing has changed in my mind after talking to Coach Fitch Wednesday - excellent knowledge of the game, has the priorities of the game in mind as to what needs to be done on the floor during the game , what has to be done PRIOR to the game in preparation for the game ... I was totally impressed by Coach Fitch ... when he said he had 6 of his top 8 not in attendance Wednesday I was STILL impressed by what he had on the floor for Ironton - the discipline on offense, the communication between players defensively, the I'town players were solid with the ball, strong on the boards, patient on offense ... Ironton will be just fine under Coach Fitch and Coach McNight both were there, both were teaching the entire games I watched them court side ... I don't know who the other candidates were BUT Coach Fitch was an excellent pick up for Tiger Nation imo ... I wish Coach Fitch/Coach McNight nothing but the best this season as he will impose HIS "system"/philosophy on Tiger Basketball ...

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:17 pm I had the pleasure of talking to Coach Fitch Wednesday at the Lynchburg Clay Shootout ... first time I had met Coach Fitch in person, have seen the results of his coaching/teaching of the game at Eastern Pike and Western Pike many times from the Cheap Seats - I have been a big fan of the product that Coach Fitch puts on the court no matter where he has been ... disciplined teams, fundamentally sounds teams, teams which know how to play the game, know how to play defense ...defense and more defense ... nothing has changed in my mind after talking to Coach Fitch Wednesday - excellent knowledge of the game, has the priorities of the game in mind as to what needs to be done on the floor during the game , what has to be done PRIOR to the game in preparation for the game ... I was totally impressed by Coach Fitch ... when he said he had 6 of his top 8 not in attendance Wednesday I was STILL impressed by what he had on the floor for Ironton - the discipline on offense, the communication between players defensively, the I'town players were solid with the ball, strong on the boards, patient on offense ... Ironton will be just fine under Coach Fitch and Coach McNight both were there, both were teaching the entire games I watched them court side ... I don't know who the other candidates were BUT Coach Fitch was an excellent pick up for Tiger Nation imo ... I wish Coach Fitch/Coach McNight nothing but the best this season as he will impose HIS "system"/philosophy on Tiger Basketball ...
That's great to hear, sounds like We got the right man for the job. Good luck to Coach Fitch and the Fighting Tigers.

Go Fighting Tigers...……..

E High
All State

Post by E High »

All sounds great. Now “just win baby”

Return to “Boys Basketball”