Ironton boys basketball job?

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Re: Ironton boys basketball job?

Post by GalliaTribe »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:43 pm I'm sure Ironton appreciates all of the wonderful advice and insights from their brethren in Gallia County on selection of a new boys basketball coach, especially when you consider that Gallia Academy has brought home 6 wins from The Convo in the last 50 years, compared to 46 wins (Districts and Regionals) by the Fighting Tigers. Have they got you guys on retainer yet?
Thanks for the knowledge pembrook and your right! Therefore, if Ironton is such a dominant basketball program why are they having problems filling that position with a more seasoned and accomplished coach instead of wanting to settle for a JV coach? At least give us some knowledge on them having a hard time filling such a high position at a prestige basketball school? Hope to hear from you soon.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

It's all been said previously. They want McKnight so he will relinquish the job when LaFon wants to come back. No other coach they hire would probably do that except the one that I know that was a past assistant years back. Other than that they are stuck with who they have to pick from.

theblessedone33
Waterboy

Post by theblessedone33 »

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

theblessedone33 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm https://twitter.com/voiceothetigers/sta ... 83168?s=21

PJ Fitch Hired
If this is true. It’s a solid hire for Ironton.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

GalliaTribe wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:36 pm
theblessedone33 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm https://twitter.com/voiceothetigers/sta ... 83168?s=21

PJ Fitch Hired
If this is true. It’s a solid hire for Ironton.
This is true, welcome to Tigertown Coach Fitch, good luck leading the Fighting Tigers.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Nice to see that Ironton got it right and hired the best coach that applied. Good job superintendent and school board. Now put this topic to rest

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Outstanding hire for I'town !!! ... Coach Fitch is one of those coaches who does it right - fundamentally sound TEAMS, Defense Defense Defense and then MORE Defense ... PJ Fitch coached TEAMS don't back down - meaning NO opponent is looked at in aw, ALL opponents are respected BUT "we - the Coach Fitch Team" will give you all you can handle , Coach Fitch Teams come to play ... looking forward to seeing the Coach Fitch led I'town Tigers on the court this season ! - best of luck Coach Fitch - pfloyd

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Congratulations PJ Fitch. Pike County’s loss is Ironton’s gain.

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

smurray wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:34 am Congratulations PJ Fitch. Pike County’s loss is Ironton’s gain.
Very true Smurray.

Best of luck to Coach Fitch and the Tigers. Ironton got a good one.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Very good hire by Ironton......Coach Fitch did an outstanding job at Western Pike. He takes over a program that has a very good history despite Ironton's football success overshadowing it. He has some work to do in 2019-2020 with starters Charlie Large, Ethan Wilson,and Ahren Barnes all graduating. Reid Carrico will be back for his junior season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats Coach P.J.Fitch. Ironton has hired an outstanding coach.

Bearcats80
Freshman Team

Post by Bearcats80 »

I also heard Lafon has resigned as AD.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Bearcats80 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:33 am I also heard Lafon has resigned as AD.
If that is true then good for Ironton. Wonder why he would want to resign?

Bearcats80
Freshman Team

Post by Bearcats80 »

Not sure of the reason but my source has very close ties to the school and says it’s true.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

GalliaTribe wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:40 am
Bearcats80 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:33 am I also heard Lafon has resigned as AD.
If that is true then good for Ironton. Wonder why he would want to resign?
Move up the ladder maybe. Be an AP, or central office?

Who is front runner to be new AD?

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

I played high school football (Chesapeake) with a guy who is evidently a really good AD in Michigan. Probably be worth a look to bring him in. He was the national AD of the year a year or two ago. Won a couple other awards too I believe. Might be worth a call from the Ironton faithful to get someone really good.

https://www.candgnews.com/sports/roches ... nor-102606

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

They are doing away with the full time AD position. It will most likely be a supplemental. Really no need for a full time AD in the VIC. From what I understand LaFon did move to the central office. All good moves

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Bobevans wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:19 pm They are doing away with the full time AD position. It will most likely be a supplemental. Really no need for a full time AD in the VIC. From what I understand LaFon did move to the central office. All good moves
Bad move imo.

Schools need a full-time AD if you have over 500 students. That job is no longer just for pumping up balls, you need someone who understands growing your programs and keeping booster clubs engaged and healthy.

Duck
Waterboy

Post by Duck »

Bobevans wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:04 am Nice to see that Ironton got it right and hired the best coach that applied. Good job superintendent and school board. Now put this topic to rest
They did not. They had the opportunity to hire an NAIA Hall Of Fame Coach with 800 wins but did not.. Somebody dropped the ball. :shock:

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

Return to “Boys Basketball”