Ironton boys basketball job?

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Re: Ironton boys basketball job?

Post by Bobevans »

I think what you are saying isnt true. I just dont think these committies and boards know what they are doing when looking for s coach.The old school type coaches need to be brought back if they beat the bushes and ask around. They would be far better off

E High
All State

Post by E High »

It’s hopeless at some schools. There’s a reason for large turnovers and these same reasons jobs are hard to fill with proven, quality coaches. It’s the sign of the times and athletes suffer !

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Kids suffer because of their parents. Kids are no different now than they were years ago. The problem now is the parents want to be to involved .some of them think they know more than they actually do. Let the coaches coach and the parents mind their own business.I think a lot of older more experienced coaches would step forward for open jobs if it wasnt for the parents sticking their noses in where they dont belong.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Bingo and Bingo !

mondayamqb
Freshman Team

Post by mondayamqb »

Bobevans wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:43 am Kids suffer because of their parents. Kids are no different now than they were years ago. The problem now is the parents want to be to involved .some of them think they know more than they actually do. Let the coaches coach and the parents mind their own business.I think a lot of older more experienced coaches would step forward for open jobs if it wasnt for the parents sticking their noses in where they dont belong.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Netcutter
Waterboy

Post by Netcutter »

It seems like they may do another round of interviews. Just speculation I am not in the know. Is there a clear frontrunner?

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

I believe the job was offered to Coach Fitch from Western but he decided to turn it down..I think a couple others have applied but no one that stands out above anyone else. No front runners in the group it seems. Who would come there without a teaching position. Not many

Vike73
Riding the Bench

Post by Vike73 »

Why apply for a job and turn it down?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Apparently didn’t like what he heard from the interviewing committee and the vision going forward. Many of these good jobs aren’t what they used to be.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Nothing at all against LaFon but I think a lot of coaches arent interested because he will still be there. Hire McKnight and be done with it and nothing changes and all will be happy

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Bobevans wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 am Nothing at all against LaFon but I think a lot of coaches arent interested because he will still be there. Hire McKnight and be done with it and nothing changes and all will be happy
Could definitely see that being an issue with the old coach still hanging around as the AD. Surprised this job has taken this long to get filled and apparently Ironton basketball wasn't as desired of a job by name coaches as I had figured. Before anybody starts freaking out though, Pendleton was like Ironton's 4th choice for the football job and he looks like he building a powerhouse at Ironton.*

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Ironton at one time would have been a desired job, but not at this point. When you cant win the OVC on a consistent basis it eont be desirable. Looking at the teams in the OVC in this area I would have to pick Fairland or Chesapeake as the most desirable at this point

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

Bobevans wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:54 am Ironton at one time would have been a desired job, but not at this point. When you cant win the OVC on a consistent basis it eont be desirable. Looking at the teams in the OVC in this area I would have to pick Fairland or Chesapeake as the most desirable at this point
The right coach will get them going again, just like Pendleton in football. Its not always the old school veteran these days, young & dynamic is the right fit for many places with unique circumstances.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Young and dynamic only works if he’s a good coach. Be careful what you wish for. Some are in love with the young coach, how about a proven coach who’s been through the battles successfully !

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Absolutely

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Still cannot believe this job has been filled with an experience and good coach. Oh how times have changed.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

Kinda tells you where the Ironton program has gone. Just ssying. I think the big problem is not having a teaching job. They were lucky that Pendleton didnt need a job or they would never have gotten him. I think Ironton will have to settle for who they can get. Pretty sorry

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

I think Ironton has held out long enougenough.They can know give the job to McKnight. By them doing this it will allow LaFon to come back when he's finished coaching his daughter for the next two years in Travel Ball. It kind of sums up why no one wants the job

E High
All State

Post by E High »

So daddy get to coach his daughter, then come back and be the head coach in 2 years ? If that’s the case, you wonder what’s wrong with hiring HS coaches who are about their kid and not the program. That’s what most parents do today. It’s not about the program, it’s about the kid. The best parents are there before, during and after their kid is there. Sign of the times !

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

Not sure Lafon will come back in 2 years especially if the Board changes. I would think in 2 years the job should be very attractive with some pretty good players on the rise . But then again why has this position not been taken care of ? Puzzling to say the least.

Return to “Boys Basketball”