2020 Girls Tourney, 2021 Boys Tourney to St. John Arena

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: 2020 Girls Tourney, 2021 Boys Tourney to St. John Arena

Post by trojandave »

Great to see the state tournaments go back to St.John Arena.........I watched my Trojans play there 4 times (1978, 1980, 1988, 1990), coming away with 2 state titles and 2 runnerups. Portsmouth also won the 1961 state title there. With the attendance at the state tournament dwindling by the year, 13,276 seats should be plenty for everyone.....and there is more of an electric feel with St.John than at the Schott, especially with the way the seats are arranged. Fans are closer to the action than they are in the cavernous Scottenstein Center.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

But I thought this wasn't possible according to some posters on here? LOL. Either way, great news to hear. Atmosphere for both boys and girls state tourney has been terrible at the Schott for years.*

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:58 pm But I thought this wasn't possible according to some posters on here? LOL. Either way, great news to hear. Atmosphere for both boys and girls state tourney has been terrible at the Schott for years.*
If you would read the release it is possible because a couple things and only on a basic 2 year term. Things will not always line up with Spring Break, the Arnold, etc. No worries though, as soon as 2021 gets here we will hear plenty of complaints about the steps, seats and anything else people want to complain about.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

This excites me. I might try to attend a few games so I can revisit the atmosphere of the old St. John’s Arena. The real question is “Will young coaches and current players appreciate the history of St. John’s Arena?”

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Attendance has been falling for years and I always thought it was a bad move but money and LeBron trumped it the first 4 years or so at the Schott. I think It's been too long to get it back like it was previously no matter the venue.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

After seeing the floors redone back to the basketball set up, it seems to me that it's also a move to possibly make St. John the permanent home for Ohio State women's basketball.

I don't think that after the big push to keep it from being torn down, OSU is just going to let St. John sit there an not be the home of something on a permanent basis.

Return to “Boys Basketball”