What’s The Best Game You’ve Ever Witnessed?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

What’s The Best Game You’ve Ever Witnessed?

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Let’s hear it. I’ll share later on if this catches traction

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Re: What’s The Best Game You’ve Ever Witnessed?

Post by winningaintcheap »

Piketon @ Unioto 2011.

Evan Legg and Piketon had been spending years running through teams in the SVC and around the area. However, two games on the schedule weren’t always the blow outs they had come to expect. The game was physical, fair, and hard fought. Unioto had chances to close the game late, but missed 4 consecutive free throws from technical fouls. Despite the misses, Unioto’s Cole Murray hit a game tying 3 pointer at the buzzer to force overtime. “Standing room only” was not just apparent, but Unioto was turning people away because doorways were starting to get blocked. The tying shot was the loudest and wildest I have ever witnessed due to the amount of people and the size of Unioto’s gym. I remember somebody saying Unioto’s students waited at the school after classes were let out just to get a seat at the game. Piketon went on to close out the game and win along with a 14-0 Gold Ball season, but not without an absolute test from Unioto first.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Chillicothe vs Toledo Libbey

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak @ Peebles 2007?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

ZT @ Unioto Dec 21 2019

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Richmond Dale Southeastern VS Columbus Wherle early 90's

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Oak Hill vs Kalida, 2009 State Championship. Oak Hill won 48-43 in double overtime. Slow paced game but lots of drama late with Ryan Borden hitting two threes to send the game into overtime and then the second overtime.

Chesapeake vs Bellaire, Regional Championship at Athens in 2003 or 2004. Bellaire won 71-68. Bellaire has Nate Davis and Aginew. Absolute slug fest.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:55 pm Oak Hill vs Kalida, 2009 State Championship. Oak Hill won 48-43 in double overtime. Slow paced game but lots of drama late with Ryan Borden hitting two threes to send the game into overtime and then the second overtime.

Chesapeake vs Bellaire, Regional Championship at Athens in 2003 or 2004. Bellaire won 71-68. Bellaire has Nate Davis and Aginew. Absolute slug fest.
Yeah, I guess that was a pretty big game. The star PG of that game sat right in front of me tonight at Jackson/Chilly game

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:08 pm
Jason Vorhees wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:55 pm Oak Hill vs Kalida, 2009 State Championship. Oak Hill won 48-43 in double overtime. Slow paced game but lots of drama late with Ryan Borden hitting two threes to send the game into overtime and then the second overtime.

Yeah, I guess that was a pretty big game. The star PG of that game sat right in front of me tonight at Jackson/Chilly game
I would have to agree also, probably the only State Championship game that the Oak Hill boys will ever play in, let alone win it.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

For me, there’s been some really memorable games. I know which game felt the best but it was an absolute BEATDOWN and wouldn’t say it was close at all 😉

The best game I’ve ever seen was Webster @ Clay 2010-2011 season. Triple OT. Jeeps win 84-76. Connor Scott scored 35. Future Marshall star Austin Loop scored 25.

Also 2005-2006... at Ironton. What an atmosphere. Jeeps were down 2 points and the game was over... wrong.

Brigham Waginger fouled on the desperation halfcourt 3 with less than 1 second remaining. Needed 2 to tie, 3 to win. He only hit 1 and Ironton fans rightfully BROUGHT THE HOUSE DOWN. Webster lost to Burg and Ironton that year who ended up meeting in the regional semis if I’m not mistaken.

Heartbreaker moment : one word. Holgate.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Nipgencounty
Freshman Team

Post by Nipgencounty »

North Adams V Miami East in 1996 (i think)
At St John's Arena was a real good game. Traveled all over back then to watch Copas.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chillicothe vs Toledo Libbey

Humpty Hitchens just taking over his last HS game in the 3rd quarter was something to behold

Winningaintcheap mentioned Unioto vs Piketon, which was really the start of the turnaround for Coach Hoops and the Unioto program. Even in a loss, it showed that they were back.

2004, Westfall vs Ironton in a District Final at the Convo.

Waginger and Gagai were sophomores against the 5 guard lineup for the Mustangs. Went to 2 OT’s, Gagai sent it into OT by hitting 2 FTs with less than a second to play.

Fantastic game and when I learned how to pronounce Ironton lol

2005 State Finals between Ironton and North College Hill was another classic

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Nipgencounty wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:25 am North Adams V Miami East in 1996 (i think)
At St John's Arena was a real good game. Traveled all over back then to watch Copas.
Bleh, great game but ME winning 1/3 of a second after the horn was awful and stole a likely state championship from the NA community.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Nipgencounty wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:25 am North Adams V Miami East in 1996 (i think)
Copas was probably the best at seeing the floor and passing to the open man that I've seen. His full court bounce pass to teammate for a layup at St John's was amazing.
Also during the North Adams Tourney run that year,I believe Copas led the Green Devils on a 17 point come from behind victory over a very good Belpre team.
My game of my lifetime was our regional final against Indian Valley South at Steubenville in 1974. Indians up 19 -3 first quarter against Huggins and company and lose 42-41 ( I think was the final). Joey Ryan was a stud in that game for Peebles. Awesome game.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

NY and Southern way way back---there must have been a couple dozen lead changes.
I know Grandy was the coach at NY and I believe Wolfe was coaching Southern.

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

Piketon vs Grandview Heights in 2009 Regional Finals. Redstreaks win the game in OT to clinch first ever State Semifinal birth

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Ironton over Portsmouth in 1979 District at the Convo. I think it ended a winning streak for the Trojans who had a great team.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Chillicothe and Libbey

TheRemedy324
Waterboy

Post by TheRemedy324 »

2007 Chillicothe with (hitchens, givens and the gang) vs. then undefeated greenfield with (Dante Jackson and crew) at the convo!

Baseball22
Waterboy

Post by Baseball22 »

Burg vs Sandy Valley (2019).. Burg down by 15 at one point in the 2nd half! Burg won by 3 and kept their undefeated season and tournament run alive!

Return to “Boys Basketball”