Top Referees...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Top Referees...

Post by Ironman92 »

Good stuff only please. I’ll ask any negative or tongue in cheek remarks and posts be deleted by the mods.

Let’s list some referees that we think do a great job. Talk is that their numbers are low but there are so so many. Most I can’t say I know their names. Not always easy to hear their names announced.

Off the top of my head guys like: Rod Nichols, Kevin Schwartzel, Keith Throckmorton, John Derrow, Marcus Thompson...these are some of the bigger names and you know you are getting the top crews for your game when you see these guys. These guys are still officiating well after our teams have all been eliminated.

Other guys that I love seeing work a game and I think do a wonderful job are Jeremy Ward, Wayne Horsely,Jason Wright, ? Smith, Stacy Ragland, Linkous, Jimmy Brown, Seth Michael, Chad Jenkins, Danny Oates, Kevin Smith, Scott Sturgill, Rodney Captain, There are several others that I can picture but for the life of me can’t pull up their names.

Everyone chip in their thoughts and list others. I’ve probably only seen about 40 different varsity refs this year. Also, how long do officials have to put in before they can go varsity games. I’ve been very happy with the officials working freshman and JV games this season but can’t say I know many of their names at all.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Top Referees...

Post by mlittle »

I think one of the top crews I’ve seen in some time is

Greg Woods
Stacey Ragland
Gillot. I think josh but not sure of first name. Shiny bald head.

This is a solid crew for southeast Ohio and I believe all these guys get tournament games.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I don’t remember a lot of the refs names but we’ve had some really good crews this year. We’ve had some not so great also but you have to expect that. We’ve lost games where I felt the officiating was great and won games where I thought it was poor but for the most part officiating has been pretty good this year.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:52 pm I think one of the top crews I’ve seen in some time is

Greg Woods
Stacey Ragland

This is a solid crew for southeast Ohio and I believe all these guys get tournament games.
Gillett, or something like that. I forgot him. He does a good job. Don’t know Woods

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Jeremy Ward was the official I was giving props to the other night trying to clean up the game in the 4th. I think he seen what everyone else seen and did his best to get things settled down a bit. Really good job that night

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:01 pm
mlittle wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:52 pm I think one of the top crews I’ve seen in some time is

Greg Woods
Stacey Ragland

Gillett, or something like that. I forgot him. He does a good job. Don’t know Woods
Yea. That whole crew does a really nice job.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Greg Woods
Stacey Ragland

Haha! If the name is Woods he or she must be good. That's part of my family tree.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:08 pm

Greg Woods
Stacey Ragland

Haha! If the name is Woods he or she must be good. That's part of my family tree.
You are on the west side of the district....list us some

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

The only name I know is Matt Orin,

But I know what the good ones look like

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Swanker Pine wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:25 pm The only name I know is Matt Orin,

I could not think of his name. We don’t see him much. He does high level games I’m pretty sure.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Meenach father and son is a good combo.

Blanton father and son is a very good combo. Have seen them twice this year and they are hands down some of the most consistent refs I’ve seen.

You know when you see either pair that they’re going to let you play, but they’ll clean it up if it gets out of control. That’s how it should be in my opinion.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Christ Meenach
Kyle Gilmore
John Blanton

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:40 pm Meenach father and son is a good combo.

Blanton father and son is a very good combo. Have seen them twice this year and they are hands down some of the most consistent refs I’ve seen.

You know when you see either pair that they’re going to let you play, but they’ll clean it up if it gets out of control. That’s how it should be in my opinion.
Yes the father and son, haven’t seen them this year. Good crew

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

We get crews from everywhere. Some from Cincy area. When you get them it's usually a really physical game. We see Nichols,Throckmorton crew alot, Tom Smith, P.D.Seaman occasionally. I feel good that I don't know most refs. If I don't remember them they must have called s good game.hahaha!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:25 pm The only name I know is Matt Orin,

I could not think of his name. We don’t see him much. He does high level games I’m pretty sure.
He must’ve started out when I was in jr high cause he did almost all the jr high games at Webster and I worked the scoreboard for all of them for a few years. So 2005-2006 ish? He’s been around

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Big game officials

Kyle Gilmore
Marcus Thompson
Matt Orin
Christian Meenach
Chad Jenkins

Any of those show up to a game, you're in good shape.

I love Johnnie Evans on a crew too, he likes to swallow his whistle - but will T a coach up if need be. And of course Swarzel is usually mentioned when talking about some of the top officials.
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:06 pm Big game officials

Kyle Gilmore
Marcus Thompson
Matt Orin
Christian Meenach

Any of those show up to a game, you're in good shape.

I love Johnnie Evans on a crew too, he likes to swallow his whistle - but will T a coach up if need be. And of course Swarzel is usually mentioned when talking about some of the top officials.
Don’t know of Gilmore

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Gilmore does a lot of games with Orin. He's kind of a shorter version of Matt, dark hair, clean cut. Lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:29 pm Gilmore does a lot of games with Orin. He's kind of a shorter version of Matt, dark hair, clean cut. Lol
He’ll be at the Convo I’m sure

Pirate84
Waterboy

Post by Pirate84 »

Matt Orin, Mark Thompson, Chris & Jason Meenach, Keith Throckmorton, Rod Nichols, Kevin Schwartzel, Chad Jenkins, Seth Michaels, Ragland & Gillot, Dave Hopkins, Cody Medkiff. I feel good if I see any of these guys when I walk into the gym

Return to “Boys Basketball”