Coaching Vacancies 2020-2021

gt13osu1
Waterboy

Re: Coaching Vacancies 2020-2021

Post by gt13osu1 »

Spartan alum and former Athens coach Jeff Skinner hired as next Alexander boys basketball coach.

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:09 am
ravensfan09 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:56 pm If Persin goes to Valley from Oak Hill, does Valley become the front runner? Oak Hill probably will feel slighted about the short "retirement."
Oak Hill got a State Championship from him, so they should get over it. There been rumblings about Persin looking for next landing spot since February. Lot of rumors that SW was the eventual place, but their job never came open. When Valley job came open, coupled with serious talent on the way (and D4), it’s a perfect match. Yeah, he probably should’ve just resigned instead of “retiring”, but he’s a Hall of Famer, so he gets a pass.

Fwiw, if all this is true, Norm must not be too worried about Valley school board/administration like others on here have been so focused on.*
I don’t feel slighted at all. I think his love for the senior class is the only reason he stayed through last year, he develops it well but the talent just isn’t there right now. Oak Hill has had some of the worst junior high teams in their history for about 4 years now. They probably averaged around 1 win per year. Even the greatest coaches can’t get a lot of wins out of that, and he doesn’t have too many years to spare to reach that win record.

Also Norm as a coach would never fly at most schools, but a lot of people would be surprised with how good of relationships he had with some of the students here. I think he’ll be just fine there.
Last edited by 3sUp on Thu May 07, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sportsfan20304
Waterboy

Post by sportsfan20304 »

Norm Persin -Lucasville Valley Boys Basketball Head Coach. Official.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

3sUp wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:46 pm
ravensfan09 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:56 pm If Persin goes to Valley from Oak Hill, does Valley become the front runner? Oak Hill probably will feel slighted about the short "retirement."
Oak Hill got a State Championship from him, so they should get over it. There been rumblings about Persin looking for next landing spot since February. Lot of rumors that SW was the eventual place, but their job never came open. When Valley job came open, coupled with serious talent on the way (and D4), it’s a perfect match. Yeah, he probably should’ve just resigned instead of “retiring”, but he’s a Hall of Famer, so he gets a pass.

Fwiw, if all this is true, Norm must not be too worried about Valley school board/administration like others on here have been so focused on.*
I don’t feel slighted at all. I think his love for the senior class is the only reason he stayed through last year, he develops it well but the talent just isn’t there right now. Oak Hill has had some of the worst junior high teams in their history for about 4 years now. They probably averaged around 1 win per year. Even the greatest coaches can’t get a lot of wins out of that, and he doesn’t have too many years to spare to reach that win record.

Also Norm as a coach would never fly at most schools, but a lot of people would be surprised with how good of relationships he had with some of the students here. I think he’ll be just fine there.
I’d like to think most Oak Hill fans are appreciative of the years Persin put in there and solid run they’ve had. Like you said, Oak Hill has a few down years coming, but they’ll get it turned around eventually.

Also agreed that his style wouldn’t work at a lot of schools around here. It takes tough kids to play for him and he’s not for everybody. Valley players better be ready to be challenged like they’ve never been challenged before. Kids that aren’t ready to work won’t last very long.*

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Not a fan but good coach.

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Skinner is a good hire for Alexander.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:07 pm If Northwest hired Scarberry (dad) and the son as a teacher that is a great hire for them. Scarberry was a old-school hard-nosed coach. Let him get the program back on solid ground and then let the son take over. Not a back strategy!

What ground was it on when he was there? Wasn't very good then. Northwest needs to look elsewhere, stop with the same old thing. Scarberry gone you go with Barlow, his assistant and that didn't work out, then you go with Barlow's asst and that doesnt work out so you go back to the original coach. That makes no sense to me. Let's stop the cycle.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

As Websters ambassador I’m hurt by this news 😂

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I guess this stay at home was so bad ole norm had to come out of retirement lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Let me be one of the first to welcome Coach Jeff Skinner BACK "court side" !!! Coach Skinner will be leading the Alexander Spartans for the 2020-21 season ... it will be good seeing Coach Skinner back on the bench ... he has arguably the best player in the TVC Ohio returning next season in soph to be Kyler D'Augustino to build around ... looking forward to getting down to Alex to see the Spartans & Coach Skinner in 2020-21 !!! Best of luck Coach !!! on a side note - Alexander vs Athens and Athens vs Alexander will be a couple of fun games to watch next season !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Congratulations to Coach Persin as he takes on another challenge as the head coach for the Valley Indians for the 2020-21 season ... Coach Norm will do a great job no matter where he was going to end up ( I know he retired but he's a "coach", Norm is a golfer ! golfers work to find perfection in their games which in turn makes them competitive always looking to get better, looking for the perfect round) ... the Indians have talent in the pipeline ! ... Valley will be a competitive program for the foreseeable future ... Norm will set up a "program/system" that is built on defense, solid fundamentals AND Valley has a history of having kids with size ... Coach Norm KNOWS how to teach/coach BIGS ... Norm will be able to KEEP kids from going elsewhere to play ... I'm looking forward to seeing/following the development of the Valley program in the next few years under Coach Persin.

I hope that what I'm reading is true - that Coach Horton will be staying in coaching at Franklin Furnace Green. I've posted before that Coach Horton has always given pfloyd the "time of day" ... he had the Indians in the Convo 2 seasons ago - Coach H is a good coach and will make Green a competitive program. I wish Coach Horton the best.

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Wellston will announce Monday.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Norm going to Valley could draw some kids from other districts, notably northwest.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

⬆️ Yes it could. Is there any news on who northwest is looking to hire? Sounds like there is some young athletes over there to work with.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

I'd like to see NW get a solid hire, from what I've heard they do have some talent upcoming. I feel the longer they wait the more it's gonna hurt their program, especially with the valley hire.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

3sUp wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:46 pm

Stormin Norman move to another SOC 2 team should be fun. But why talk about retiring when you aren’t going to.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

packers80 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:57 pm Norm going to Valley could draw some kids from other districts, notably northwest.
If so, they better plan on moving in to Valley District cause adding a few transfers could increase their CB number and push them back up to D3.*

Marauders19
Freshman Team

Post by Marauders19 »

Storming Norman left Oak hill the talent is gone.. The old dude is a talent chaser. Don’t lie to hide your agenda just simply say talent is gone here I want talent it feeds my ego

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

From what I was told today Valley approached Persin . So I’m not so sure he chased the talent . Watched his team twice this year and the talent was average at best . Then again who knows .Was also told Rick Scarberry May be next NW coach . Nothing official . Crazy times for the old coaches . When schools do not have teaching positions it is difficult to hire coaches .

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

GRFan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:48 pm Wellston will announce Monday.
Rob Ervin

Return to “Boys Basketball”