Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

Post by pfloyd »

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5 ...

1. Logan Elm (2-0)
2. Fairland (5-1)
3. Warren (5-1)
4. Waverly (3-0)
5. Wheelersburg (5-0)
6. Eastern Brown (6-0)
7. New Boston (7-0)
8. Adena (8-1)

... TreeHugger Wannabees ...

Jackson (4-0)
Unioto (5-2)
Fairfield Union (2-1)
Hillsboro (3-1)
Trimble (3-0)
Sheridan (4-2)
Chesapeake (2-3)
Peebles (1-1)
Chillicothe
Federal Hocking (1-1)
Piketon (4-3)
Greenfield McClain (4-2)
Lucasville Valley (3-4)
Zane Trace (4-4)
Fairfield Leesburg (3-1)
Athens (4-4)
Vinton County (4-2)
Logan
Ironton (2-1)
Ironton St.Joseph (2-1)
South Point (0-1)
Miami Trace (1-4)
North Adams (4-2)
South Webster (3-3)
Minford (4-3)
Marietta (2-4)
South Gallia (3-1)
Alexander (3-1)
Western Pike (4-3)
Portsmouth (1-1)
Gallia Academy (1-1)
Meigs (1-6)
New Lexington (3-4)
Portsmouth West (3-3)
Coal Grove (1-2)
Paint Valley (3-4)
Wellston (3-2)
Belpre (2-3)
River Valley (4-2)
Circleville (2-4)
Nelsonville York (3-5)
Waterford (2-1)
Southeastern (1-2)
Oak Hill (1-4)
Whiteoak (3-4)
Northwest (2-1)
Eastern Pike (2-4)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (2-1)
West Union (1-6)
Symmes Valley (1-3)
Huntington Ross (1-6)
Rock Hill (1-2)
Green (1-4)
Southern (1-5)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Crooksville (0-4)
Westfall (0-5)
Lynchburg Clay (0-6)
Reedsville Eastern (0-4)
Portsmouth Clay (0-7)
Washington CH (0-1)
Manchester (0-3)
Miller (0-4)
Portsmouth East (0-2)
Last edited by pfloyd on Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

Post by pfloyd »

... odds & ends for the top 8 in the Week that IS:

* Logan Elm can begin to practice 1/5 with their first game back 1/5 @ Bexley ... 1/8 vs Circleville
* Fairland travels to Columbus area to take on Buckeye Valley on the 28th/Olentangy Berlin on the 29th
* Warren can begin practices on 1/5 ... travel to New Philly on 1/8 for their first game of 2021
* Waverly ... no games scheduled for the Week that Is (Holiday Tourney Cancelled) ... 1st game 1/5 vs Wheelersburg
* Wheelersburg ...@ Huntington Ross 12/29
* Eastern Brown ... scheduled Brown County Tournament 29/30 followed by 1/2 vs Hillsboro
* New Boston ... 12/29 @ South Point followed by Portsmouth Notre Dame in the Tigers Den 12/30
* Adena .... 12/29 vs Greenfield McClain ... 1/2 @ Unioto

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What was Clay’s closest loss?

You are sticking strong with the Peake

Portsmouth 10 behind South Point....you did that for more views lol

You left ISJ pretty high

But the team of the week is the Portsmouth West Senators....wonder how long it’s been since they were this high?

Great list man....cannot wait until these teams can prove you wrong or right!

One good thing about the quarantine and Covid stuff....the teams continuing to play have a better chance to get some attention (PWest for example)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:27 pm ... odds & ends for the top 8 in the Week that IS:

* Logan Elm can begin to practice 1/5 with their first game back 1/5 @ Bexley ... 1/8 vs Circleville
* Fairland travels to Columbus area to take on Buckeye Valley on the 28th/Olentangy Berlin on the 29th
* Warren can begin practices on 1/5 ... travel to New Philly on 1/8 for their first game of 2021
* Waverly ... no games scheduled for the Week that Is (Holiday Tourney Cancelled) ... 1st game 1/5 vs Wheelersburg
* Eastern Brown ... scheduled Brown County Tournament 29/30 followed by 1/2 vs Hillsboro
* New Boston ... 12/29 @ South Point followed by Portsmouth Notre Dame in the Tigers Den 12/30
I wish that Adena game was @ McClain....but still could be a solid game. Adena at home might just whoop up on them....then @U is huge.

Something to watch my friend....Hillsboro vs Eastern. It’s Eastern to lose BUT last year in game 1 Eastern B beat Boro something like 87-26. I will promise you Hillsboro has that game marked and they will be very focused to show how far they have came. Being at Eastern will be tough but I’m very interested in how it goes.

I think Jackson gets back with game 1/8 @ Miami Trace...can practice on the 1st

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:31 pm What was Clay’s closest loss?

You are sticking strong with the Peake

Portsmouth 10 behind South Point....you did that for more views lol

You left ISJ pretty high

But the team of the week is the Portsmouth West Senators....wonder how long it’s been since they were this high?

Great list man....cannot wait until these teams can prove you wrong or right!

One good thing about the quarantine and Covid stuff....the teams continuing to play have a better chance to get some attention (PWest for example)
... Clay's closest loss 64-68 to Oak Hill ... I was ready to move Portsmouth up more but as you pointed out they turned around and got spanked by Fairland giving up 30 points in the first qtr to the Dragons - South Point dropped more than PHS climbed ... South Point gets a chance to show me more vs New Boston this coming week - a good game for NB ...

... Chesapeake is one of those teams that does some many things right not to mention they play good fundamental basketball - the Panthers will show me a lot in the next couple of weeks starting with Portsmouth this week 12/28 (same can be said for Portsmouth in this one) ... the Peake entertains Fairland 1/5 and then is @ Gallia Academy 1/8 ... 3 big games in a row for Coach Davis' boyz ...

... the West Siders made a big jump this week would like to see them play better vs the top of the SOC2 though ... we'll keep an eye on the Senators though as we head into the New Year ...

... others to watch - Warren coming off of the quarantine shutdown - not practices/games until 1/5 have to play AT New Philadelphia on the 8th with only 3 days of practice/conditioning - good thing they play 9-10 ... Logan Elm, Federal Hocking plays a Marietta team that IS better than their record with FH coming off of their own quarantine shutdown of any practices/ losing 5 games to the quarantine time line ... Nelsonville York has been hurt by injuries & Covid as well ... going to be some major movement up and down the rankings in the next 2 weeks imo ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:37 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:27 pm ... odds & ends for the top 8 in the Week that IS:

I wish that Adena game was @ McClain....but still could be a solid game. Adena at home might just whoop up on them....then @U is huge.

Something to watch my friend....Hillsboro vs Eastern. It’s Eastern to lose BUT last year in game 1 Eastern B beat Boro something like 87-26. I will promise you Hillsboro has that game marked and they will be very focused to show how far they have came. Being at Eastern will be tough but I’m very interested in how it goes.

I think Jackson gets back with game 1/8 @ Miami Trace...can practice on the 1st
... I92, is the Brown County Tourney on or off ? - I don't believe I had read anything on SEOPs about or if I did it was early in the season that it didn't register with me ... there's some good games coming up for sure - look forward to watching them on the live stream - Eastern Brown vs Hillsboro is one of them ... Fairland only gets props for going up to C'bus to play in my mind they don't drop in the rankings for playing up ... New Boston @ South Point - the first test for NB needing a W to stay in the Elite 8 as Jackson/Unioto are looking for an opening with the U holding the keys to the top 8 with that matchup on Jan 2nd ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Couple adjustments

Huntington is 1-6

W - Circleville
L - Paint Valley, Adena, Zane Trace, Unioto, Northwest, Wellston

Westfall is 0-5

Amanda, Piketon, Zane Trace, Adena, Vinton Co

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Warren proved they are the better team with the win over Fort Frye. I think they are 1, but at the very least 2.

Lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:25 am Couple adjustments

Huntington is 1-6

W - Circleville
L - Paint Valley, Adena, Zane Trace, Unioto, Northwest, Wellston

Westfall is 0-5

Amanda, Piketon, Zane Trace, Adena, Vinton Co
Thanks daniC ... looks like Wheelersburg is taking on the SVC this week playing Huntington! (sarcasm)
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Honest question, Floyd. Since I have yet to see Fairland or LE ,,, what it is it that motivated you to put them above Warren? I'm thinking it's probably a 1a, 1b, 1c situation, but I'm curious what may set them apart, even if it's by a tiny fraction.

And yes, I know why you can longer do "ties", we amended that part of the rule book a few years ago. Lol

No ties, no ties, no 3.5 or 4.5 or 1.5's ....

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:31 pm But the team of the week is the Portsmouth West Senators....wonder how long it’s been since they were this high?
42 isn't real high. IMO they are playing better than that.
2 of the 3 losses are undefeated top 5 teams and Minford is probably underrated.

The two wins this week (Valley #21 & ISJ #28) are still significantly higher on the list.

Wednesday they play Western Pike #37

List is fun to look at. Thanks for doing it

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Going to be a very interesting week for the (1-1) Federal Hocking Lancers, who haven't played since Dec. 8th! That will be exactly a 21-day lay off between games when they finally hit the court Tuesday.

Their week consist of:

at D2 Marietta (2-4), which a tough place to play.
at D3 Belpre (2-3). The Eagles Nest is definitely one of the toughest places to play in all of SEO.
at D3 Alexander (3-1). The Alley is right up there with The Eagles Nest. probably 1 & 2 in terms of difficult venues in the TVC.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:57 am Honest question, Floyd. Since I have yet to see Fairland or LE ,,, what it is it that motivated you to put them above Warren? I'm thinking it's probably a 1a, 1b, 1c situation, but I'm curious what may set them apart, even if it's by a tiny fraction.

And yes, I know why you can longer do "ties", we amended that part of the rule book a few years ago. Lol

No ties, no ties, no 3.5 or 4.5 or 1.5's ....
... Warren has the potential to BE the #1 - on PAPER they ARE the number one - size, defense, a point guard who can play d/score inside/outside, they go 9-10 deep - EVERYTHING is there ... but they are inconsistent just enough to make them vulnerable ... they haven't played their best basketball -yet and I have watched ALL of their games ... it seems that the offense disappears for stretches ... Sallee hasn't been that dominating guy I thought he would be - yet - hasn't hit the outside shot - yet (he did vs Athens as he got his first double double) ... Marietta gave them fits - speed on the perimeter gives them problems Munos/Duckworth got to the rim/and Marietta has perimeter scoring ... at times the best of Warren players will bring themselves down a level trying to do what they HAD TO DO last year when Dennis wasn't in the lineup - the bigs will put the ball on the floor instead of going up with the ball or poor decisions passing the ball in the paint ... just not consistent - YET ...

Fairland is actually in the same boat ! same cast of characters from last season - all excellent basketball players and we know where they got to last season in the regionals at the Convo - THEY were playing their best basketball that I have ever seen them play - scoring the ball from the perimeter/getting inside/outside, 3 point scoring from the whole starting five along with Schmidt off the bench - they were hitting on all cylinders ... I have watched ALL of Fairlands games as well this season ... consistency again has them not quite at last years end of the season level - we saw vs Portsmouth in the opening quarter! - they buried the Trojans with 7 threes in the opening quarter ! turned PHS over defensively, hit the boards, the crisp passing was there, finding/making THAT pass that has you smiling was there 31-10ish first quarter ... BUT (and there's always a but or butt) ... BUT it feels like the Dragons fall in love with the 3 - yeh, they have always been a 3 point scoring threat TEAM ... it seems when I watch them that the motion in the offense is not there consistently, those V cuts that gives them THAT step to the rim isn't there - consistently, the inside scoring hasn't been there consistently ... at the Convo Williams had more touches - he brought the ball down court vs pressure, scored more than he is now - which he doesn't LOOK to score much but right now he really isn't a threat - he STILL crashes the boards, plays solid D ... maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing the consistency as in being the TEAM - working together offensively - as I have seen from the Dragons - especially at the end of last season - THAT TEAM was playing as ONE ... not there yet ... Logan Elm - small sample size of games at 2-0 ... watched the win over Bloom Carroll ... every time I have EVER watched a Coaches Stiverson/Holbert LE TEAM they have looked like they were in midseason form ... usually when I see LE it's at the ZT Tipoff Classic I have always walked away feeling they are "ahead" of all other teams ... I feel the same this season, as small as the sample size/number of games is at this point - the Braves LOOK LIKE they have been playing together for years - OHHHHHH! THEY HAVE BEEN ! 4 years at the varsity level to be exact ! it goes back to my belief in fundamentals, my belief in physical man to man defense and playing as a TEAM ... Logan Elm looked as close to how they were playing last year going into /at the Convo as they TOO finished the season without losing their last game , playing their best ball, playing as TEAM ... Wietlemann, Ward, Sailor, Chalfin - THE BEST QUARTET of guards in SEO ... as TEAM adding in the fifth/sixth wheel - Tanner Holbert/Trace Smith/Braylon Baker etc. and imo EVEN WITH THE SMALL SAMPLE SIZE OF GAMES - Logan Elm is playing the best ball of the top 3 ...

BUT to answer your question 93dog - Warren ON PAPER has ALL of the pieces ! they just need the time to play together to come up with the consistency, the timing - the chemistry to be dominant in SEOhio ... will the Covid Season ALLOW this to happen? it remains to be seen - if it were normal times where teams /ALL teams were practicing/playing games on a regular basis - Warren in my little mind WOULD BE my #1 ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

Nice list but Ironton and CG both beat Peak . The Tigers will only get better . Good young talent .

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Warren team I watched I have a hard time ranking anyone ahead of them in SEO. They are an experienced, big, well coached D2 team that is well built for another long tournament run. Can control the tempo with a great PG, but also have the bigs to get those high percentage shots when they get into a nail bitter. But in terms of rankings, head-to-head is obviously an important tool. Common opponent, not nearly as much. BUT ,,, common opponent inside of a week and not a lot of other intel to go off this early - I would at least have Warren over Fairland. I mean, if Clemson beat Virginia Tech, and then a week later VT beat Ohio State - no pollster in the country would have Ohio State over Clemson. That's my argument for Warren over Fairland at the moment. Had they beat Fort three or four weeks later I wouldn't put as much stock into it - but with nothing else to go off and the game taking place just a few days later justifies a #2 for Maddox and the Warriors, IMO.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:30 am The Warren team I watched I have a hard time ranking anyone ahead of them in SEO. They are an experienced, big, well coached D2 team that is well built for another long tournament run. Can control the tempo with a great PG, but also have the bigs to get those high percentage shots when they get into a nail bitter. But in terms of rankings, head-to-head is obviously an important tool. Common opponent, not nearly as much. BUT ,,, common opponent inside of a week and not a lot of other intel to go off this early - I would at least have Warren over Fairland. I mean, if Clemson beat Virginia Tech, and then a week later VT beat Ohio State - no pollster in the country would have Ohio State over Clemson. That's my argument for Warren over Fairland at the moment. Had they beat Fort three or four weeks later I wouldn't put as much stock into it - but with nothing else to go off and the game taking place just a few days later justifies a #2 for Maddox and the Warriors, IMO.
I think you are trying to get invited to the Maddox NYE party...Pfloyd always gets to go.

What about the head scratcher vs Marietta? I know they found a way at the very very end but all games count.

I’m with you as I have Warren right above Fairland and I’d pick Warren over Fairland if they played.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

1. Warren vs Marietta has always been a nice rivalry.
2. Baumgard got injured & didnt play the entire 2nd half I believe. Take anyone's 6'7 center off the court & it will impact their play.
3. Because Maddox is such a game manager, they tend to play closer games vs opponents than some would expect going in. They have never been a "blow the other team's doors off" type of squad. They just control the game and methodically pound you into submission.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm 1. Warren vs Marietta has always been a nice rivalry.
2. Baumgard got injured & didnt play the entire 2nd half I believe. Take anyone's 6'7 center off the court & it will impact their play.
3. Because Maddox is such a game manager, they tend to play closer games vs opponents than some would expect going in. They have never been a "blow the other team's doors off" type of squad. They just control the game and methodically pound you into submission.
I think with their big guy out but with what they have + the best coach...they beat a mediocre Marietta by double digits.

I know you can’t always win as expected but early on the examples loom larger when trying to compare.

But again...I’m with you but we are also splitting hairs a bit.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:30 am The Warren team I watched I have a hard time ranking anyone ahead of them in SEO. They are an experienced, big, well coached D2 team that is well built for another long tournament run. Can control the tempo with a great PG, but also have the bigs to get those high percentage shots when they get into a nail bitter. But in terms of rankings, head-to-head is obviously an important tool. Common opponent, not nearly as much. BUT ,,, common opponent inside of a week and not a lot of other intel to go off this early - I would at least have Warren over Fairland. I mean, if Clemson beat Virginia Tech, and then a week later VT beat Ohio State - no pollster in the country would have Ohio State over Clemson. That's my argument for Warren over Fairland at the moment. Had they beat Fort three or four weeks later I wouldn't put as much stock into it - but with nothing else to go off and the game taking place just a few days later justifies a #2 for Maddox and the Warriors, IMO.
... one can argue that FF JUST came off the hard fought W at Fairland which took a lot out of them along with the drive to the River ... the game you saw 93dog - Warren beating Athens - that was the BEST game Sallee has played to date this season ... he hasn't looked as dominant in the other games - maybe MY expectations are more for him as he HIT the 3 vs AHS, he helped control the boards at both ends - he hasn't done that in the other games AS DOMINANTLY ... Fairland DIDN'T play a Fairland like game vs FF and STILL had the opportunity to win with the last shot of the game hitting off the rim ... as NOT Fairland like as they played they were STILL good enough to have won the game while FF played a GREAT game ... I'm good where I have them being forced to "split hairs" ... as the teams play more games coming out of the holidays and off quarantine we will see the TEAMS develop into the TEAMs we envision them to be as they appear on paper ... Warren goes to New Philly (FF beat New Philly by 8-10 points) ... Fairland plays Buckeye Valley and Olentangy Berlin before playing Chesapeake this next week ... Logan Elm plays AT Bexley who is historically good year in year out ... going to be fun to watch no matter the results ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

With a limited number of guests allowed, Maddox I heard is giving 93Dog Pfloyd's ticket to the NYE party.

Sorry, Floyd.

😂

Return to “Boys Basketball”