Convo Tourney time

bball30
Freshman Team

Convo Tourney time

Post by bball30 »

With the districts and regionals now set for this season, here's a few personal thoughts about missing the games at the Convo. Having a minor role for two decades there, I am wistful, thinking of what the impact might be, now and perhaps the future.

First, it was always a distinct pleasure to meet and spend time with the unofficial commissioner of hoops in Southeast Ohio, the venerable Pfloyd. Heading up to the "cheap seats" to his throne was always a treat (even if 93dog always thought I showed too much deference and shout outs to the purple one). SEO Preps royalty were all there.

The Convo is a special place and it was, in my biased estimation, THE best place to hold the tourney and we ran the best show in the state. Thanks to the district board (Rick and Wayne of note), the hard working Convo staffers lead by Farmer and McFann, and the seamless way it all came together. Gotta mention the memorable graphics first by Joe Brackman and then the incomparable Gracie.
I'm am going to miss seeing the officials who called the games who always tried to figure out how many total years they had in experience---trying to catch up to the work-release totals of the legendary Tommy Hardy. Watching Chad's boys grow up during the years hold some special meaning, too.

And the kids. There is no comparison to watch the faces of kids when they first hit the floor knowing they made it to the Convo floor representing their school. I will miss hearing the student sections with great, and sometimes pretty innovative, cheers and coming up with a number of "Basketball 30" variations on shirts and posts. And the home town fans that supported them, making the drive to Athens, leaving their towns empty to follow their teams. The energy in the Convo from all that was electric, especially when the only basket a short guard made was with seconds left in a championship game sending his team on.
Yep, I am gonna miss it all this year without a true convocation for this quadrant of the state in the Convo. So, Sugar Ray, Big Timber, Cowboy Copas, Timmy the Torch, P J The Warrior, et al, YOU have made it special for this old Vietnam vet, along with literally the cast of thousands over the two decades. I will miss you all and hope we can convene again.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Convo Tourney time

Post by danicalifornia »

💔

Was just talking to pfloyd about this on Wednesday night. Not nearly as elequently as Sweet Lou has here, but it’s definitely going to be different.

I usually to try and avoid folks besides pfloyd at the Convo, but meeting guys like 93Bulldog, LucasDavenport and mattash (amongst others) always made my days down there.

I’m just hopeful that we get to do it again in 2022, because like has been stated, it’s a special experience for all that get to partake in it. Not only the kids, but entire communities.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:30 am 💔

Was just talking to pfloyd about this on Wednesday night. Not nearly as elequently as Sweet Lou has here, but it’s definitely going to be different.

I usually to try and avoid folks besides pfloyd at the Convo, but meeting guys like 93Bulldog, LucasDavenport and mattash (amongst others) always made my days down there.

I’m just hopeful that we get to do it again in 2022, because like has been stated, it’s a special experience for all that get to partake in it. Not only the kids, but entire communities.
Agree, its not going to be the same as spending those ALL day Saturday events at the Convo. People don’t realize how important those things are to kids, schools, and communities. And I will even throw in the Girls being able to play in Waverly at the downtown gym - sure have seen some rowdy packed district finals there as well.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Here's to hoping for some very eventful post season basketball.sure will miss the days of the Convo,but; I'm hoping sweet lou will give us those opportunities in the near future. Love me some " basketball 30"

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Definitely sucks not having the event in my back yard. Been attending every year since Geno Ford & Cambridge got upset in the regionals back in the early 90's.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

When you go to other district tournaments held in high school or small college gymnasiums, you realize how blessed we are to have Ohio University, the Convo and the workers who make the Southeast District tournament a tremendous experience for the players, coaches, communities and just basketball junkies who love to crash at the Convo for three weeks.

As a media member, it's always special to walk through one of the entrances to the floor for the first time, the atmosphere of the building, starting with Sweet Lou, so much more. Always nice to see fellow media members and friends from other schools along media row or down in The Bobcat Club for a Convo dog and a Mountain Dew. In many ways, the district tournament is a reunion of friends held on a yearly basis.

Here's hoping the district tournament returns to the Convo for 2022 and for years to come. As an OSU grad, I had never been to Ohio University before and have come to enjoy their beautiful campus and community.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... haven't been to a single "in-person" game in the 2020-21 season - been offered tickets to some, offered by others to get me tickets to games ... I thank all who have reached out - I WON'T forget your kind gestures ... with bball30's thread and post about Convo Tourney Time - the reality is sinking in that there IS NO "Basketball :30" this year ... as others posted afterward I too hope that the powers that BE don't "take away" the Convo as THE destination for boys high school hoops district/regional games ... as so many have done over the years, I too have made the trek to A'town, the Campus of Ohio University, to the Round House on Richland for many many many years ... going to Basketball :30 is on my Hoops Calendar, on my calendar every year ! - blocked out , 3 weeks EVERY YEAR from the beginning of March for district action/ to the end of March the regional finals - just like I would do for a summer vacation whatever is going on during this 3 week period gets put on hold ... life for 3 weeks revolves around driving down Rte 33 to the Convo, touching bases with Gibby,Lou, Randy, Franklin, & Wayne when I enter through the pass gates ... venturing up to what has become my usual Cheap Seat location - one that offers great perspective on the game with it's vantage point but more importantly it gives me an opportunity to see virtually every person coming into the Convo - the fans, the coaches headed for their seats to scout games, the radio guys heading for their assigned broadcast spots, the newspaper guys looking for their names on media row ... the Cheap Seats over the years have been a location where coaches have congregated - those still playing , those who have not survived and advanced ... I think they all feel comfortable "up in the Cheap Seats" - they chat among themselves, share their wisdom, ask for opinions ...also in the Cheap Seats are "the regulars" - 93bulldog, daniC, Dan Bise, Mr. McPhearson (Mary), Rod Padgett, the Warren coaching staff ... teams who are waiting to play sit up in the Cheap Seat area, coaches from all over SEOhio make their way to the Cheap Seats at least once during the 3 weeks to say "hello" ... it's amazing the numbers of current and past players who come up to the Cheap Seats along with past and present parents of players who just want to touch bases again ... WE ALL come to the Mecca of High School Hoops - the Convo because we KNOW there will be great high school basketball - we can watch 2,3, 4 games without leaving our seats ... BUT we also come to the Round House to hear "the Voice" of high school basketball Lou Horvath , we come to the Convo for the many many many conversations with the "PEOPLE" - those that are "like us" - lovers of the game, keepers of the napkin stats - the people ... I have put faces with seops names, I have made hoops friendships that have lasted over decades ... we ALL have the same goal in March of every season - going to the Convo ... in times as we are living in now "taking a year off" from the trek to the Convo is like a lifetime ... memories lost , good conversations lost , the chance to do a game wrap-up or rundown that will not happen now ... I've battled cancer, I KNOW about "time lost" -time that can never be gotten back ... this year, without the Convo - once again time has been stolen - never to be retrieved ... I feel for the teams, the players, the families, the school communities who will not have the opportunity to hear their teams announced by Lou ... to play on the OU Convocation Center floor ... going to miss it ALL ... I was at the Convo last March for the final games played in Regional play - felt so bad for Fairland, Logan Elm to not get a chance to advance to the Show in Columbus ... I feel even worse now for ALL of the teams who will not get the opportunity to play at the Convo in district/regional play this season ... look forward to next year - March of 2022 when hopefully we can ALL return to the Round House to hear Lou tell us what time it is again "it's Basketball:30 !" ...

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

I have streamed a lot of games this year and was able to see teams I would not normally see until I went to the convo. Always went to see The Peake in sectionals and hoping they made it to the convo.
Whether they made it or not I was there for regional games semis and finals. I would take a weeks vacation and stay in Athens so I didn't have to make a 4 hour round trip.
I always tried to set in from if Pfloyd's cheap seats and with a gang of guys that sat together almost every year. I retired and could anywhere at any time to see basketball and was there last year and got to see first night.
Love high school basketball and enjoy talking with the people I have met at the convo especially my fellow SEOPS gang.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

HS sports is the best. Last of the innocent of kids lives. Then the college stuff which is ok. Then for the few who make it to the pros and then the money takes over. Enjoy HS sports. It’s the best 👍

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Great rundown pfloyd. Hopefully we will be past this next season and can return to the Convo to hear what time it is.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:16 pm Great rundown pfloyd. Hopefully we will be past this next season and can return to the Convo to hear what time it is.
I'm with you bman ... I haven't had the pleasure to chat "Northwest Territory" hoops with you my friend ! have made friends with many coaches up your way - Coach Stiverson, Coach Holbert, Coach Dropsey of LE, Coach Carpenter from Circleville, Coach Eversole/Coach Helber FU, Coach Goodyear Bloom Carrol ... all from the MSL but friends none the less - miss seeing the great brand of hoops these coaches teach/preach up your way ! sigh ... next year will have to do ... take care of yourself bman ! keep keeping us informed from the NW territories !!!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Pfloyd, the powers that be are not moving the games in the future, this year is simply a matter of University policy and simple economics. Despite what folks say about it being all about the money, cost have to be covered and that cost is about 40% of gross revenue and even if the Convo would be open, you simply fiscally could not operate with a 300 fan maximum. But here is to 2022.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Pol pot wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:06 pm Pfloyd, the powers that be are not moving the games in the future, this year is simply a matter of University policy and simple economics. Despite what folks say about it being all about the money, cost have to be covered and that cost is about 40% of gross revenue and even if the Convo would be open, you simply fiscally could not operate with a 300 fan maximum. But here is to 2022.
... good to hear that the games WILL BE coming back to the Convo ... I totally understand the $$$$$ reasons why the Convo is not in play THIS season ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”