Jackson 31 Greenfield McClain 28 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Jackson 31 Greenfield McClain 28 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Jackson 31
McClain 28 a final

I'm a different breed of hoops fan, as much as I love seeing teams put up numbers - scoring from all over the court, raining 3's, a dunk or 4, backdoor cuts with dimes from the perimeter for easy at the rim points ... what I truly admire, love to watch are teams that play D - not just play defense but PLAY DEFENSE ! taking away what the opposition wants to do, forcing their opponent to beat them - making players go beyond the "normal" the expected napkin stat sheet "stuff" - making players, TEAMS "step up" ... last night at Jackson I was smiling the whole game as both the Ironmen of Coach Morrow and the Tigers of Coach Stewart brought the D ... BOTH teams played physical, BOTH teams took away everything the other team was trying to do offensively, BOTH teams were forced to play "ugly, in the trenches" basketball - my kind of game ... Jackson for the 20+ years that I have been "seriously" watching Jackson teams play - going back to the Coach Ford coached teams, the Max Morrow "the player" teams , JHS teams have had to "earn ... win in trenches ... play hardnosed D" to get W's - last night was right up the Ironmen's alley so to speak ...

... as a Cheap Seat guy, you KNEW this game was going to be different when after one the scoreboard read 5-9 Tigers - Jackson equaled their point total by their TO total 5-5 ... McClain not to be outdone turned the ball over 6 times to go with their 9 points (5 coming on 5/6 FT shooting by Bryson Badgley) ... fgs were a precious commodity as both teams had 2 each in the opening qtr of "action" ... JHS went 0/5 from downtown while MHS again said "hold my beer" going 0 for3 ... imo the biggest napkin stat was McClain's go to guy Bryson Badgley picking up 2 fouls in the opening period ... McClain 9 Jackson 5 after 1 ... 9-5 ? ... defense ... both defenses forced the opposite to take the shots the DEFENSE wanted them to take ... not a player on either team was given a free pass to cross the face of the defense without having a body "redirect" them - neither team allowed a player to go through the paint without being checked, if either team had the ball on the perimeter it was 32 minutes of "on ball pressure" no open looks to pass, to shoot, to get from point A to point B - outstanding ... adjustments - physical game - quarter number 2 had Jacob Winters , 6-2 jr, find an answer to the MHS defense - put a body on the defender - Winters became the leading scorer in the half for both teams as he used his body to get space around the rim from block to block - 6 points down low with one fg coming in transition off of a McClain turnover ... the Winters' fgs were the only fgs in the quarter for Jackson ... for McClain the scoring was limited to Wesley Potts 2 pts on the blocks and midrange jumper from Kendall Toney ... Jackson won the fg stat 3-2 ... got back into the game "surging" ahead to a 14-13 half time lead ... the Winters' 3 fgs in a row was the closest one could get to "a run" "scoring outburst" the rest was all D ... McClain surprised me with the "lack of" care of the basketball - 5 more turnovers in the 2nd period 11 for the half ... 11 empty trips in a game where a "field goal" (whether you think fg in basketball or football same difference in this game) was probably going to win it ... Jackson 14 McClain 13 at intermission ... because of the defense played on either end of the floor no one was going to run away and hide in this one - the largest lead by either team in the 2nd half was 3 points both ways ... JHS had held Byson Badgley to 5/6 from the FT line - no points from the field through the first half ... I kept waiting for Badgley to "do something" to ignite the MHS offense - nothing on the perimeter , Badgley showed why he is "the man" as the senior swing man took the ball on the right foul line extended, off the dribble he faced up the defender, a HARD spin to the left splitting 2 defenders for an at the rim 2 and 1 ! I literally said "Wow!!!" out loud ... a miss of the and 1 kept it just a outstanding move , not breathing room for the Tigers ... BOTH coaches knew that every fg/point was like gold ... a 4 point run or more would be/could be the game - both coaches called time outs to "stop" momentum changes- Stewart at 5:35 in the 3rd 16-16 ... Morrow at 4:06 18-18 ... scoring in the 3rd for Jackson saw JHS finally hit it's first 3 pointer as Tristan Prater nailed a deep ball ... Nate Woodard a pair of deuces, Boston Campbell a transition bucket to top off the 9 point quarter for Jackson ... for McClain Badgley 5 points/ Toney and Wesley Potts added a fg each and a pair FTs from Braden Wright gave the Tigers the 3rd quarter lead ... McClain 24 Jackson 23 after 3 ... BOTH teams showed to be 2 of the strongest teams physically that I have seen this young season, in a physical game, with 2 physical teams something has to give or at least contribute to the outcome of the game - Badgley for McClain sat out the last 2 minutes of the 3rd, the opening 5:30 of the 4th with 4 fouls (my napkin stat of the game) ... without Badgley on the court McClain struggled to find "a guy, any guy" who could or would takeover at the offensive end ... only putting up 4 points in the final period ... Jackson would score only 1 fg in the final quarter a BIG 3 ball at 5:44 in the quarter from Boston Campbell to give JHS the lead at 29-26 ... 29-28 at 2:42 ... foul shooting from the Ironmen Campbell 3/4 down the stretch, Winters 1/2, Prater 1/3 gave them the margin of victory ... 30-28 with 33.4 seconds to play a make and miss with :02 on the clock gave McClain the ball and chance to tie ... beyond half court three attempt ng ... Jackson 31 McClain 28 a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - McClain

Scoring ... Byson Badgley 10, Braden Wright 6, Kendall Toney 4, Wesley Potts 4, Deth Wise 2, Preston Saunders 2
3 Pointers ... 0/10
FTs .... 8/15
TOs ... 19 / 11 coming in the 1st two quarters
PnP ... 8 fgs/ 16 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/2 points in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of offensive boards

... physical, the Tigers can play D the right way, I can see where IF the Tigers played vs less defensive minded/capable teams the strength in the paint with Potts on the blocks/Badgley & Toney getting inside would be tough to handle ... perimeter scoring ? - they couldn't solve the Jackson D last night ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Jackson

Scoring ... Boston Campbell 10, Jacob Winters 7, Tristan Prater 7, Nate Woodard 6, Evan Jarvis 1
3 Pointers ... 2/20 ... Boston Campbell 1, Tristan Prater 1
FTs ... 9/15
TOs ... 10
PnP ... 8 fgs/ 16 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fgs/ 6 point in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points off of offensive boards

... Jackson was a blue collar team last night, McClain took away (made the shooters take hurried shots) the perimeter scoring, forced JHS to "try another way" - if the opponent has to deal with the same harassing , physical D and can't score - advantage Ironmen ... with the defense that Jackson plays they will be in all of their games - teams better have a "plan B" offense vs Jackson as whatever you like to do normally, wherever you like to shoot from normally you ain't getting it vs the Coach Morrow JHS defense ... now how that shows up on back to back games? tonight Jackson plays Athens - the Bulldogs have had a rough start at 1-3 entering the game tonight at Jackson ... the Bulldog D probably isn't the McClain D ...

countywide35
SEOP

Re: Jackson 31 Greenfield McClain 28 a final

Post by countywide35 »

Aweosme run down

Glad you got to see this see one and it did not disappoint.

I felt it was first class all the way by Dan and the Crew for Havin ya on the radio dial at 1/2Time…..

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Spot, perfectly recapped

The “hurried shots” comment was big. Jackson can shoot, but couldn’t last night and McClain gets the credit. I wanted Jackson to take a step back on offense as Campbell, Blankenship, Jarvis and Woodard can all hit the long range….I thought that step back would give them the needed time/space and they can hit the 22 footer…..but I’m also the guy making popcorn and Morrow’s the guy winning ball games in front of a huge crowd.

Great win and loved Morrow’s coaching from the 2:00 down with the ball and the lead and the McClain foul total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Sounds like a heavyweight fight, which almost always leads to a great game

Games with elite defense ARE just as exciting as the high-flying offensive fests, because of how important every possession is.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

countywide35 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:11 am Aweosme run down

Glad you got to see this see one and it did not disappoint.

I felt it was first class all the way by Dan and the Crew for Havin ya on the radio dial at 1/2Time…..
... the folks at Jackson have ALWAYS been good to pfloyd when I make my way down Rte 93 for games ... from Dan Morrow's radio crew , the coaching staffs, right up to Mr. Howard the Jackson Superintendent - all such good people - basketball people ! ... heck even the popcorn makers are good people !!!

... countywide35, I wasn't sure about that "radio stuff" thing LOL - but Dan being that car salesman type of guy can talk you into anything LOL - he made it easy, asked questions I could actually answer! - I totally respect the Jackson radio crew - Dan is the consummate professional - he can talk to anybody and make them feel comfortable ... so it was just a 5 minute "chat with a friend about basketball" ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... a couple things I failed to mention in the game recap - it was a so good to see such a big crowd on BOTH sides of the gym! McClain got their students there via a pep bus - which is awesome! in an era where many schools will offer the pep bus options but can't get enough kids to take part to make the bus feasible to do - kudos to the McClain students for supporting their Tigers ... a second omission was that I thought the officiating crew did a great job being consistent in "letting 2 physical" teams be physical ... well called game both ways imo ...

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

When scores are this low,it has nothing to do with defense.It’s about unskilled offensive and marginal athletic players.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

artisgilmore wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:28 pm When scores are this low,it has nothing to do with defense.It’s about unskilled offensive and marginal athletic players.
Dang it !!! and I spent an hour and half coming up with that game rundown too !!! I wish I had this information before I did all of that work - boy is my face red :oops:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

artisgilmore wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:28 pm When scores are this low,it has nothing to do with defense.It’s about unskilled offensive and marginal athletic players.
Idiotic statement really. So you watched and are saying that neither team played good defense? I mean Jackson just shot lights out a few days ago on the road…were they skilled then or what. Made 3’s and mid range all night long….had enough space to make them.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:56 pm
Dang it !!! and I spent an hour and half coming up with that game rundown too !!! I wish I had this information before I did all of that work - boy is my face red :oops:
Pay no attention to the angry Ironton poster. He didn’t watch one second of the game and doesn’t like that Ironmen98 tore him up during football

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:48 pm
Pay no attention to the angry Ironton poster. He didn’t watch one second of the game and doesn’t like that Ironmen98 tore him up during football
Artis Gilmore called me this morning and asked me to pass along the fact that he is not affiliated with this account. :-)

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:45 pm

Artis Gilmore called me this morning and asked me to pass along the fact that he is not affiliated with this account. :-)
No idea what that means

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Somewhat true.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:08 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:45 pm

No idea what that means
It means I’m not the real Artis Gilmore,just a fan. :roll:

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

E High wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:40 am
Somewhat true.
Thanks E for understanding my point,not meant to dis anyone.

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

artisgilmore wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:51 pm
E High wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:40 am
Somewhat true.
Thanks E for understanding my point,not meant to dis anyone.
Were you all at the game?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

You don’t have to be at all the games. But it’s usually ugly. Been part of a bunch of 35-34 games, but this is now the norm when 2 teams are equal and skills aren’t very good. Good luck all

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

E High wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:50 am You don’t have to be at all the games. But it’s usually ugly. Been part of a bunch of 35-34 games, but this is now the norm when 2 teams are equal and skills aren’t very good. Good luck all
I say when teams aren’t very good around here the trend is to be higher scoring with no defense and a 72-68 game….then when one of those teams face and unskilled team like Jackson or McClain they lose 53-38

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

When Clay and East play against each other this year, I would agree with you. Skill level at the minimum there. But that game Friday night was the best low scoring game I have ever watched

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

😂😂😂

Return to “Boys Basketball”