Shot Clock?

Kurgan74
JV Team

Shot Clock?

Post by Kurgan74 »

I have been seeing this discussion on the net. It has really gathered steam recently. A few nights ago a high school game in Oaklahoma finished with a score of 4 to 2.

My question is. Do you want to see a shot clock in high school?

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Re: Shot Clock?

Post by Fan of the youth »

I am all for a shot clock. The biggest complaint I have lately is being at a game and watching both teams empty the benches justifiably, only to stall the ball. The young men entering the game at that time deserve the opportunity to play.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

We have 35 second clock in Arizon this season and it appears to be working. One thing that, imo, appears
to be happening is more teams are playing tighter defense.

Cousin H
Waterboy

Post by Cousin H »

Kurgan74 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:30 pm I have been seeing this discussion on the net. It has really gathered steam recently. A few nights ago a high school game in Oaklahoma finished with a score of 4 to 2.

My question is. Do you want to see a shot clock in high school?
Quite being soft. Why legislate away a strategy that gives the underdog a chance? Burning clock like that is an art.

Cousin H
Waterboy

Post by Cousin H »

Fan of the youth wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:07 am I am all for a shot clock. The biggest complaint I have lately is being at a game and watching both teams empty the benches justifiably, only to stall the ball. The young men entering the game at that time deserve the opportunity to play.
If you are already stalling the it’s no big deal when young guys come off the bench.

Cousin H
Waterboy

Post by Cousin H »

I would take the opposite approach if I were coaching especially if we weren’t very good. I would install the stall and make it be our equalizer. Tempo teams get frustrated when they can’t get out and go.

bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

Simply stated: NO!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

As a fan…I’d like to see a 30 second clock

I appreciate the teams that can keep working the hall around patiently to get a good shot and therefore aren’t taking many bad shots….but maybe the need to be a little more precise on your screens or cuts or pivots might speed up the ability to create a good shot. Also might cause more creativity from the coaching staffs.

As it is I love it when a team is up 7 in the 4th the 5:30 left and the defense in in a zone and the leading team just stands out too forcing them into pressure or man to man.

I love different strategies and seeing different things. It would be more fun for the players as well I’d guess.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Again I state opposition to the shot clock. The game at all levels needs an injection of strategy and emphasis on skills like ball handling.

Watch the beauty of the four corners:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EtyyNd5Eoow

As to an out right stall, the defense can force play.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Holgate won a whole state championship in 2004 with the stall ball. They weren’t that good

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

NOOOOO!
Why penalize a team that’s up by a few points in the closing minutes by forcing them to take a shot?
Defenses can force the issue if they want. If the offense is good enough to keep it away then foul them.
I have also seen teams losing who would hold the ball in an attempt to neutralize it.
Shot clocks allow defenses to play soft.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

No. Just no.

There is already enough bitching about officiating as it is. Adding this will make it worse.

Then you have to find someone to run the shot clock that has a clue. It is hard enough to find people skilled enough to run the clock.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:38 am No. Just no.

There is already enough bitching about officiating as it is. Adding this will make it worse.

Then you have to find someone to run the shot clock that has a clue. It is hard enough to find people skilled enough to run the clock.
Agree on all points.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Not a fan of a shot clock in high school.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:41 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:38 am No. Just no.

Agree on all points.
I also agree with both of you.

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

Omega wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:10 pm Again I state opposition to the shot clock. The game at all levels needs an injection of strategy and emphasis on skills like ball handling.

Watch the beauty of the four corners:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EtyyNd5Eoow

As to an out right stall, the defense can force play.
My great grandpappy invented that 4 corners offense and we used it back in 1957 at Racine HS. That was the forst time we wlmost won a state title. Them boys could really handle the rock. Then Coach Carl came along and taught us to run the floor and to stay out of the wait room.

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!
Corner3
Riding the Bench

Post by Corner3 »

The game of basketball is constantly evolving & modernizing. Back in the 60s & 70s you weren’t allowed to dunk. I think we can all agree that was ridiculous. In the 80s they added the 3 point line which I’m sure not everyone at the time loved but is now widely accepted as good for the game.
Next up will be adding the shot clock which is already used in college & pros, & I’m pretty sure is used at various levels of youth basketball across the world.
The coaches that are great at coaching defense will still be great at it. They’ll come up with late clock schemes & still shut teams down. The coaches that are great at offensive concepts will still put their players in positions to succeed. The players will adjust like they always do & the game will continue to evolve & grow.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'm all for a 30 second shot clock. Actually, though, there aren't that many teams that employ the strategy of a full blown slowdown. Still, I think a 30 second clock still gives the underdog a chance to pull the upset.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

I think we all go to basketball games anxiously waiting for the last 3 minutes.

I always love it when the blue team fouls the red team, then we spend three minutes walking to the foul line, subbing players in, and shooting foul shots. THEN if we're lucky, someone calls time out. We have to suffer 12 seconds of exciting action while the blue team gets an offensive possession, and then we get to watch the whole cycle over again.

If you're confused, go back and read that in a sarcastic voice.

I am in favor of the concept of a shot clock, but implementing it in every game at the high school level presents a layer of complication I don't know if we want to endure.

Corner3
Riding the Bench

Post by Corner3 »

efarns wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:08 pm
I am in favor of the concept of a shot clock, but implementing it in every game at the high school level presents a layer of complication I don't know if we want to endure.
If they can figure it out in North & South Dakota then we can figure it out in Ohio.

Return to “Boys Basketball”