Best coach in SEO

DUNK1
Freshman Team

Best coach in SEO

Post by DUNK1 »

Has to be Howie hands down. He’s been dominating the past 4+ decades at 4 different schools. I’m sure someone will disagree but who else has done as much as he has? Plus how many coaches are known by their first name statewide? Share your thoughts but I say it’s Howie bar none.

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Re: Best coach in SEO

Post by Almost Champions »

He cut his teeth under the great King Carl Wolfe but I kinda think his Howies son has a shot at greatness if he can get his lower level coaches to learn to Reed.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
DUNK1
Freshman Team

Post by DUNK1 »

Almost Champions wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:32 am He cut his teeth under the great King Carl Wolfe but I kinda think his Howies son has a shot at greatness if he can get his lower level coaches to learn to Reed.
Oh yeah? Well they been trying to get Howie back there for several years now so not sure many would agree with you about him being better than Howie.

DUNK1
Freshman Team

Post by DUNK1 »

And Howie never would have let that Reed boy get away.

Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

DUNK1 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:26 am Has to be Howie hands down. He’s been dominating the past 4+ decades at 4 different schools. I’m sure someone will disagree but who else has done as much as he has? Plus how many coaches are known by their first name statewide? Share your thoughts but I say it’s Howie bar none.
Howdy was 1-19 his last year in Racine. When he was at Eastern he struggled to win the league because he couldn’t beat Fed Hock. So he left and went to Fed Hock and couldn’t win a tournament game there. I wouldn’t consider that “dominating.” I’ll give him credit for his success at Thimble but that’s always been a sleeper but they never had even an average coach before Howdy 🤠

Celebrating wins over the most hated.
The Butcher
Waterboy

Post by The Butcher »

Dang straight skippy! The Old Old Guard of Racine Hustlin Purple Southern Basketball woulda never let the 'Does lose a layer like that. We'da came up with a package of free haircuts and fresh produce to keep that kid happy. Plus we'da loaned him a car to drive for special events. I think we still have that purple Ford Pinto around here somewhere. That thing is a sweet ride.

If we haven't heard a rumor by noon, we start one!
The Voice aka LR
Waterboy

Post by The Voice aka LR »

Calvin wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:04 pm
DUNK1 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:26 am Has to be Howie hands down. He’s been dominating the past 4+ decades at 4 different schools. I’m sure someone will disagree but who else has done as much as he has? Plus how many coaches are known by their first name statewide? Share your thoughts but I say it’s Howie bar none.
Howdy was 1-19 his last year in Racine. When he was at Eastern he struggled to win the league because he couldn’t beat Fed Hock. So he left and went to Fed Hock and couldn’t win a tournament game there. I wouldn’t consider that “dominating.” I’ll give him credit for his success at Thimble but that’s always been a sleeper but they never had even an average coach before Howdy 🤠
I would argue that the Kittle boy would make a great coach. Isnt he on staff? Maybe he is the real shot caller in that program and someone else is just a figgerhead.......

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Blaine Maddox

Norm Persin
Barnes at ironton
Nathan speed

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

South point's ain't too shabby

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
sportsfan33
Waterboy

Post by sportsfan33 »

Williams at western does a great job IMO. He always has those boys ready by tournament time.

Old Shorts
Freshman Team

Post by Old Shorts »

Donnie Saunders was one of the best in every sport he coached. If he had a tenth of the talent these other coaches had that are talked about he would have won no telling how many state championships.

"Rocking a pair of 1985 gray coaching shorts that are now yellow in the front and brown in the back" :D
GrumpyPundit
Riding the Bench

Post by GrumpyPundit »

I’d give Maddox my vote too. If kids respond to Norm like they once did, I’d place him half a tier ahead of Maddox, though.

Thebabybull
Freshman Team

Post by Thebabybull »

For my money the only choice is Rob Beucler @ Eastern. Gets the most out of the talent he has.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Maddox

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
DUNK1
Freshman Team

Post by DUNK1 »

Howie has dominated at four different schools. No one else mentioned has done that have they? Howie has to be the best based on that fact if nothing else.

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Post by Swampfox13 »

Bill Whaley coached 2 times at Alexander 1966-68 and 1979-1984. He also coached at Albany High School and led them to the state semi-finals He was 111-43 at Alex. Unfortunately, after the 1984 season his car was hit head on by a vehicle going the wrong way. He was never able to coach again. We can only imagine what he could have accomplished. In talking to his players, he taught them life lessons as well as basketball.

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

1a) Blain Maddox @ Warren HS.
1b) Norm Persin @ SW
2) Howie @ Glouster

Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

Nathan Speed has to be up there. His accomplishments with his teams speak for themselves.

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

N Speed is in the top 5 without a doubt .

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

Nathan Speed has to be up there. His accomplishments with his teams speak for themselves.

He’s done a great job-especially the last 3-4 yrs by installing the Princeton offense. Kids have really bought in.

Return to “Boys Basketball”