Unioto Chasing History

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Unioto Chasing History

Post by winningaintcheap »

Friday's match up with Westfall is believed by many to be the best contest for the undefeated Sherman's all year. If Unioto is able to take away a win, they will claim a record currently held by Larry Jordan's Southeastern Panthers. The record is consecutive league wins -- 32. Currently, the Sherman's are tied with SE. I've ran some stats to put into perspective how dominant Unioto has been over the last 2+ years... Matt Hoops has built a program and it is showing. Congratulations to Hoops and the boys for making it to this point.

Average margin of victory in 5 SVC games in 2015: 35.8 PPG
Average margin of victory in 32 game streak: 20.4 PPG
Average PPG (all games during streak): 71.8PPG

Sophomore class has not lost a regular season game (33-1, 19-0)
Junior class is 32-1 in SVC play (53-5, 32-1)

I hope the game lives up to the hype because i do think Unioto needs to be tested. Should be fun to watch!

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Re: Unioto Chasing History

Post by Preacher Purl »

This will be over quickly. If Westfall doesn't score 75 points, they will lose by at least 20. I know they have some weapons and a good group, but they are not that far removed from a below average season in 14-15.

Pretty impressive things going on in Sherman land.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Best team in Southeast Ohio!

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

Best team around here. People can say all they want about being tested but this team proved how good they were last year. They lost to a final 4 team they were up double digits on. I just hope they make another deep run because i love traveling to the convo for local teams.
from a Cavalier fan, go Tanks!

WhiskeyTwoFive
Riding the Bench

Post by WhiskeyTwoFive »

Unioto should dominate the SVC, they are DII and most other SVC school are DII or lower. They have had a numerous amount of talent transfer in....they should be where they are at. Now with that being said, Hoops has done a great job at developing the program from Varsity to the little kids.

Karl
Waterboy

Post by Karl »

Yes, your facts are correct. Unioto is a talented team.

I just find it funny that you have to keep saying them over and over. If that makes you feel better about this game, then keep telling yourselves those things.

Should be a good game.

Good Luck to both teams.

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

Only one thing I know for sure...this WILL be Westfalls toughest game of the year lol. No doubt. Would take a lot of things to go right. We are still trying to get used to playing as a favorite ( not friday of course).

Fairfield Union could be Uniotos tough matchup. If they shoot the 3 like they can. I saw six kids shoot it well during our scrimmage. I know nothing about the team from Cleveland either.

In the last two years, including this year, we have won 13 games. We are still growing and getting better.

I hope we play near our best. Will be a lot of fun and great experience for both teams. Hoping for a close game with no injuries.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Very impressive...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Unioto ....are good this year

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

Adena beat Westfall handily at Westfall...Unioto beat Adena handily at Adena....what evidence exists that this game should be close?

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

Rosscoresident wrote:Adena beat Westfall handily at Westfall...Unioto beat Adena handily at Adena....what evidence exists that this game should be close?
I agree. I don't see this game being close at all. Something around 76-54. Unioto's 2nd team could hang with any team in the SVC.

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

Rosscoresident wrote:Adena beat Westfall handily at Westfall...Unioto beat Adena handily at Adena....what evidence exists that this game should be close?
Good chance it wont be close. But, we beat Huntington 81-43. Unioto beat Huntington 61-31. It doesnt matter. Cant compare scores. All matchups and games develope differently.

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

Westfall being better at the 1-2 slots and even at the 3. And their 4 man is 5 inches shorter than their 3.

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

Westfall is better than who at the 1,2 and 3? Unioto? No way. Adena?

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

This thread has gone way off the rails. We all know Unioto is a heavy favorite and Westfall will have to play great and Unioto will have to play down from what they usually do. Lets stop the trolling and just wish both teams good luck. I root for a good game even though its probably unlikely based on past history. These are high school kids who work very hard to play in games like this....no matter what the result. Stop the bashing and sarcastic remarks. Good luck to the Shermans and the Mustangs.

ChiLoBBall
Waterboy

Post by ChiLoBBall »

Both teams are play hard and are deserving of seeing their efforts pay off. I am with Wffan in reflecting that past scores cannot solely be used as an indicator of who will win in such a matchup...... but since there is a lot of mention about "scores" being used as a predictor of game outcome lets look at the teams in which both have played in common and the scores.

Unioto v. Zane Trace 73-34
Westfall v. Zane Trace 68-51
Unioto v. Paint Valley 93-36
Westfall v. Paint Valley 68-49
Unioto v. Huntington 61-31
Westfall v. Huntington 81-43
Unioto v. Adena 72-51
Westfall v. Adena 51-70

Unioto has Westfall and Southeastern left in the first round of conference play, Westfall has Unioto and Piketon.

All this tells me is the both teams can score and whoever possesses the better defense tomorrow night will gain another "W". Should be an exciting and high energy game!

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

There is one glaring difference in that scores against common opponents thing. I think it is a pretty good indicator when predicting future outcome in this instance. Tell me tomorrow night if I am wrong. I will eat all the crow that I need to if I'm wrong. Good luck to both teams, but I'm sorry that I don't think it will be close

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Unioto by more than a baker's dozen, maybe two dozen.

This team is Columbus bound at the end of the year I believe.

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

You might be right Abe...how does the sausage king of Chicago know so much about SVC basketball?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Wffan wrote:Only one thing I know for sure...this WILL be Westfalls toughest game of the year lol. No doubt. Would take a lot of things to go right. We are still trying to get used to playing as a favorite ( not friday of course).

Fairfield Union could be Uniotos tough matchup. If they shoot the 3 like they can. I saw six kids shoot it well during our scrimmage. I know nothing about the team from Cleveland either.

In the last two years, including this year, we have won 13 games. We are still growing and getting better.

I hope we play near our best. Will be a lot of fun and great experience for both teams. Hoping for a close game with no injuries.
St. Charles is also going to be a major test for the Mustangs. Very impressed with their non conference schedule.

Fairfield Union will be a major test. I really like the sophomores that the Falcons have.

Burton Berkshire is 4-1 with their only loss being to NDCL who I believe is undefeated. Very good fundamental basketball team that can shoot the 3 very well. They also have a big that is very similar to Wheeler of Unioto. Should be a good game.

Hoping for an injury free and intense game tomorrow evening!

Return to “Boys Basketball”