Waverly Tigers Basketball 2023-2024

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Re: Waverly Tigers Basketball 2023-2024

Post by Tigernation2021 »

BigGuy10 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:03 am Morton is playing this year and I believe Hauck is as well - But you are correct, Haynes is not playing this year.
I think we will need to have a handful of the freshman class up on varsity this year but won't be bad for them to get that experience early
Yeah just heard that today that Morton and Hauck were playing, doesn't seem like the guys are taking to 6am practices that started up though. Head scratcher for sure with that one.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:54 pm
BigGuy10 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:03 am Morton is playing this year and I believe Hauck is as well - But you are correct, Haynes is not playing this year.
I think we will need to have a handful of the freshman class up on varsity this year but won't be bad for them to get that experience early
Yeah just heard that today that Morton and Hauck were playing, doesn't seem like the guys are taking to 6am practices that started up though. Head scratcher for sure with that one.
I was told from a Huntington parent that Bradley had 6am practices there as well. It would be nice if coaches could get kids to buy in to that but its not realistic, and I'm not sure it's even necessary. Idk another coach in the area that has mandatory 6am practices, some will let kids into shoot that early if they ask to get in the gym but it's definitely not a good way to get kids out that may or may not play.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

bobcats94 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:48 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:54 pm
I was told from a Huntington parent that Bradley had 6am practices there as well. It would be nice if coaches could get kids to buy in to that but its not realistic, and I'm not sure it's even necessary. Idk another coach in the area that has mandatory 6am practices, some will let kids into shoot that early if they ask to get in the gym but it's definitely not a good way to get kids out that may or may not play.
In theory it sounds like a good idea, extra time in the gym is always a good thing. But in reality that is a lot for high school kids. Reporting before 6 to have a full practice, then the kids have to get ready for a full day of school and then turn around and have another practice after school is a asking a ton of those kids. Two a days along with school I’m sure is very tiring. It’s hard to find kids who are willing to be that committed and that’s just reality. Hopefully it pays off and they are improving.

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

No Haynes this year I heard, was still averaging a double double or atleast very close too it as a sophomore but without him in the middle I don’t see Waverly over .500

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Watchinghoops wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:27 pm No Haynes this year I heard, was still averaging a double double or atleast very close too it as a sophomore but without him in the middle I don’t see Waverly over .500
Big Big loss for the Tigers!!

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

Saw some of the scrimmage tonight looked like the tigers have Nibert Morton Bloss Schrader ( seniors ) Carroll Hobbs Jones Umphries Posey ( juniors ) no sophomores I believe Gunnar myers Sawyer myers Carson Nibert Hurt Russell McBride Nelson Kinnison ( freshmen ) look very low in numbers expecially for a D2 team……

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

Watchinghoops wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:34 pm Saw some of the scrimmage tonight looked like the tigers have Nibert Morton Bloss Schrader ( seniors ) Carroll Hobbs Jones Umphries Posey ( juniors ) no sophomores I believe Gunnar myers Sawyer myers Carson Nibert Hurt Russell McBride Nelson Kinnison ( freshmen ) look very low in numbers expecially for a D2 team……
Who did they scrimmage and are there any more upcoming at Waverly? Would love to get eyes on some preseason action. I haven't heard who the Tigers have in the preview this year.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

smurray wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:28 pm
Watchinghoops wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:27 pm No Haynes this year I heard, was still averaging a double double or atleast very close too it as a sophomore but without him in the middle I don’t see Waverly over .500
Huge loss but the young man's heart wasn't into playing basketball they convinced him last year to come out so it's not a big shock he decided not to play. Waverly lost a lot of size, when you talk about guys that are 6-5, 6-4, 6-3 not playing. It'll take some time for the youngsters to come around and there's some brutal teams in the SOC to play just keep plugging away and I hope everyone is patient because this year will be a struggle but hopefully after this they can start to see the results panning out. Come out support the team but be patient this season we should see an improvement but it's not going to be a massive jump.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:46 pm
smurray wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:28 pm
Huge loss but the young man's heart wasn't into playing basketball they convinced him last year to come out so it's not a big shock he decided not to play. Waverly lost a lot of size, when you talk about guys that are 6-5, 6-4, 6-3 not playing. It'll take some time for the youngsters to come around and there's some brutal teams in the SOC to play just keep plugging away and I hope everyone is patient because this year will be a struggle but hopefully after this they can start to see the results panning out. Come out support the team but be patient this season we should see an improvement but it's not going to be a massive jump.
Right

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigers pulled out a season opening overtime thriller on the road at Southeastern tonight, 51-48.
The great thing about being 1-0 is you can go for 2-0. Tigers with their home opener tomorrow (Saturday) as they welcome the Aces of Amanda to the Downtown Arena.

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

Definitely not as good as a performance as we could have asked for but a win is a win, the tigers having a very winnable stretch of games should be very helpful for the freshmen to find their way I was impressed with Russell and the myers twins last night yes they all made some mistakes but look to have a lot of upside get a win vs cleercreek tonight and get out 2-0.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly moves to 2-0 with a 55-41 win over Amanda in the home opener. Tigers back on the road Friday as they travel to Eastern (Pike) before returning home on Saturday for a battle with Jackson.

NOTE: Saturday December 9
The Downtown Arena (Hawhee's Palace) should be packed as we officially name the court, C.D. Hawhee Court.
The celebration will take place immediately after the JV game, will include a welcome from Waverly Schools Supt Bill Hoover as well as a very special guest speaker. Several members of the Hawhee Family will be in attendance and partake in a special ribbon cutting ceremony.
* We are asking anyone whose life was touched or impacted by Coach Hawhee to be in attendance Saturday, December 9 -
players (all sports), students, fellow teachers/staff, family, friends, opponents, etc.

Come and be a part of this special celebration!

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

Looked a lot more complete last night, good win, and time to get ready for eastern

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

C.D. Hawhee Court
C.D. Hawhee Court

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigers move to 3-0 with a 63-52 win at Eastern tonight.

Senior Caden Nibert lead the team with 19 points
Senior Jamison Morton 15 points
Freshman Landyn Russell 9 points
Freshman Sawyer Myers 7 points
Junior Cade Carroll with 6 points
Freshman Gunnar Myers 4 points
Senior Weston Bloss with 3 points

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

Great win for the tigers looked very dangerous last night, we’re up all night on a team that was “ supposed to beat them “ if they get after it like that all night vs everyone they play we could see a dangerous team freshmen looked great last night Landyn Russell was the difference maker in that game came in with a spark and lit it up to keep the tigers up going in to the half and never looked back.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

JV game tonight starts at 5:30….
BIG celebration and ceremony immediately after the JV game. Members of the Hawhee family as well as many former players will be in attendance.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly starting 3 Freshmen, head into Christmas break at 6-2 after beating Northwest 60-50 last night.

The Tigers used a very well balanced scoring attack, 7 players with at least 3 points each.
Waverly was lead y Freshman Landyn Russell with 15 (8 first half, 7 second half - going 4 for 4 from the line in the 4th down the stretch), Caden Nibert (SR) with 11, Weston Bloss (SR) with 10 (2 triples in the 2nd period), Freshmen twin brothers Gunnar Myers & Sawyer Myers with 8 each (Sawyers 8 coming in the 2nd half), Jamison Morton (SR) 6 (2 triples in the 1st period), Cade Carroll (JR) with 3 (an old fashion three).

The Tigers have the 6 wins over Northwest, Eastern (Pike), Western (Pike), Southeastern, Huntington and Amanda with the 2 losses to pfloyds top 15 Jackson and top 25 Hillsboro.

Waverly finishes out the 2023 schedule at Piketon next Friday before beginning conference play in 2024.

basketballmind
Waterboy

Post by basketballmind »

Waverly is a tough, scrappy group. I’m excited to see what they will be able to do in conference play.

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

I think waverly should/could be 8-0 right now played a horrible game offensively vs Hillsboro shut down Davis and held them to under 50 but just couldn’t get the ball in the basket, then made it a 2/3 point game against Jackson then Nibert goes down and out and Jackson gets their lead back in the 4th and win the game, bloss and Morton are the keys of this team when they are hitting the tigers are very very dangerous and the freshmen are just balling right now, should be able to put a .500 season up with a very though league schedule

Return to “Boys Basketball”