Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio- Preseason 23-24

Smeltzy
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio- Preseason 23-24

Post by Smeltzy »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:35 pm
Smeltzy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:31 pm Pfloyd.......I haven't seen any mention of last seasons D2 Regional finalist, Fairfield Union. What's your take on their upcoming season?
Sorry Smeltzy didn't respond right away ... the Falcons have questions to be answered - Coach Shaeffer lost a bunch of seniors including the big man in the middle Ted Harrah BUT more importantly - FU lost their 3 year starter at PG Brennen Rowles ... on the positive side! and there IS a big positive side - FU has 2 of the BEST players in SEO returning - Caleb Redding and Caleb Schmelzer - BOTH are outstanding!!! BOTH will be counted on for THE points this coming season ... BOTH have to up their games - Schmelzer has to BE the guy down low around the basket , has to take on more of the scoring than even he did last season - he has ALL KINDS of talent, almost unstoppable at the rim, can hit the perimeter shot as well ... the biggest question mark is PG? new player moving up? over the summer Caleb Redding was going to be the guy running the point - during the regular season it's tough to take the ball out of his hands as an offensive perimeter threat from 3 point land turning him into a distributor of the ball ... he's a big body who can score in the paint IF he is posting up his defender ... Last season, defense was what FU hung their hat on ... defense will have to be just as good this season imo ... I will be watching FU to find out where the points are going to come from outside of Schmelzer and Redding ... looking for the NEW GUYS who will have to step up , into the roles of defenders and scorers ... the coaching isn't in question - Coach Shaeffer/Coach Helber are 2 of the best in SEO Ohio ... do they have the players to fill out the roster who can be the role players that allow the Big 2 to do their thing BUT bring scoring to the offensive end ...
Pfloyd.......good to hear back from you. I think you hit it right on the head. The guard play and outside shooting will be the key. You just don't replace that easily from last year's Regional final squad. The two bigs will handle some things but to be a good tourney team they'll have to develop kids during the season. It will be fun and probably frustrating along the way.......but that's why we love this game!!!
See you along the way.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Smeltzy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:33 am
pfloyd wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:35 pm
Smeltzy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:31 pm Pfloyd.......I haven't seen any mention of last seasons D2 Regional finalist, Fairfield Union. What's your take on their upcoming season?
Sorry Smeltzy didn't respond right away ... the Falcons have questions to be answered - Coach Shaeffer lost a bunch of seniors including the big man in the middle Ted Harrah BUT more importantly - FU lost their 3 year starter at PG Brennen Rowles ... on the positive side! and there IS a big positive side - FU has 2 of the BEST players in SEO returning - Caleb Redding and Caleb Schmelzer - BOTH are outstanding!!! BOTH will be counted on for THE points this coming season ... BOTH have to up their games - Schmelzer has to BE the guy down low around the basket , has to take on more of the scoring than even he did last season - he has ALL KINDS of talent, almost unstoppable at the rim, can hit the perimeter shot as well ... the biggest question mark is PG? new player moving up? over the summer Caleb Redding was going to be the guy running the point - during the regular season it's tough to take the ball out of his hands as an offensive perimeter threat from 3 point land turning him into a distributor of the ball ... he's a big body who can score in the paint IF he is posting up his defender ... Last season, defense was what FU hung their hat on ... defense will have to be just as good this season imo ... I will be watching FU to find out where the points are going to come from outside of Schmelzer and Redding ... looking for the NEW GUYS who will have to step up , into the roles of defenders and scorers ... the coaching isn't in question - Coach Shaeffer/Coach Helber are 2 of the best in SEO Ohio ... do they have the players to fill out the roster who can be the role players that allow the Big 2 to do their thing BUT bring scoring to the offensive end ...
Pfloyd.......good to hear back from you. I think you hit it right on the head. The guard play and outside shooting will be the key. You just don't replace that easily from last year's Regional final squad. The two bigs will handle some things but to be a good tourney team they'll have to develop kids during the season. It will be fun and probably frustrating along the way.......but that's why we love this game!!!
See you along the way.
... I had a HARD time putting FU in the 20 spot ... but when I thought about last season's offensive output WITH Hannah/Schmelzer the elder/Rowles to go with Redding and Schmelzer the younger ... the importance of a PG to get the ball to the big 2 where they can score on the floor is a priority... right now I don't know who the PG will be ... Redding running the point would mean there are other scorers that HE is feeding (which in turn takes the ball out of HIS hands - he IS a proven scorer) Caleb Schmelzer has the potential to be THE GUY in SEOhio - he has that kind of game, he needs to realize that he HAS that kind of game AND take it to the rim - he is soooo good with length/size AND talent ... no PG (yet) , in need of ANOTHER perimeter/ double digit scorer - need to be able to pull defenders OUT - to give Schmelzer room to do his thing around the rim ... FU plays Logan Elm x2 , Circelville x2 , has Warren late in the season ... so there are opportunities to move UP the rankings ...

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:37 pm
pointers87 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:54 am Give them a few weeks and we should be ready to roll. 6 p.m. is what I was told.
6pm, Tuesday 11/28/23- thanks!... good to hear that the injuries/etc. will not be a factor right from the "git go" ... pointer87 - with Childers transferring out/taking his 6-6 size to a foreign country (Huntington WVa), Do the Pointers have more size down low - Haney 6-3/Lovely 6-3/ Carter 6-3/Vance 6-2/Hanshaw 6-3 - anyone stepping into that BIG role down low with a 6-6 ish frame?

pfloyd, if you need a seat up front for the scrimmage just let us know!
Jackson will be interesting this year, only 1 senior, 0 juniors (1 transferred out, 1 junior is dedicating the season to indoor track) and a whole host of Soph and Freshmen. Those sophomores have seen a lot of battle time this past season, and I believe there are 1 or 2 sophomores coming back into the fold that took freshman year off! Not a whole lot of size, but a lot of basketball IQ and years of playing together... could make it a fun, YOUNG squad. I think we could see some new levels of "hustle" that makes every game fun to watch!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I’ll give a quick SVC rundown on what teams should have returning or known transfers

Adena - Ater might be the best scorer in the SVC, Smith is a good lead guard and King can shoot it. They won’t have much depth, but should be competitive on most league nights due to those three players.

Huntington - Going to be another long year, but having Coach Uhrig back could get some more kids out and bring some needed energy back into the program. Kellough can really shoot it and if Jordan is healthy, he can give them some good minutes in the front court. I’m guessing they’ll start a young lineup, but they do have some good young talent, even with the transfers out.

Paint Valley - the bump up to D3 is a killer for the Bearcats, but Robertson and Free are a nice duo in the SVC. Those are the only kids back from a season ago and they won’t have a whole lot of additional support.

Piketon - PG transferred out, but they have the majority of their rotation back from last season. Davis and McGuire are both solid pieces that should help elevate the Redstreaks back into the top half of the league.

Southeastern - will be about as small as a Southeastern team has ever been, but they will have a bunch of kids who can pressure the ball defensively and shoot it. Rebounding will be an issue, but I like Smith and Williams in the backcourt.

Unioto - should be the favorite as they return all 5 starters and 8 of their 9 rotation players. KB Perkins was outstanding a season ago, the Blake’s (Fitch, Hoops) will be a tough combo to beat and Schobelock is my sleeper pick for POY in the league. Coach Easterday returning after a year off should only help the Shermans as well.

Westfall - Circleville’s Joe Wray transferred in, which will help fill the biggest void for the Mustangs, at PG. Clark is a great shooter, Gall a nice defender and Layton/Barnes are solid inside. I think they finish in the top 3.

Zane Trace - return two Jarrell’s (LJ, Brock) and a Robinson from last season’s district runner up. They graduated a ton of size and scoring, but those kids have won at every level, so they won’t be intimidated by new roles. Should finish in the top half of the league.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chillicothe - 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️ the players who come out for the team should be with the program throughout the season, so that’s a positive at least. I’m guessing they are in the bottom half of the FAC if not at the bottom. Hopefully they have some additional kids out to help them after a rough couple of seasons. I know they have a couple of nice underclassmen, but I don’t know how big of a splash they can make just yet. However, big development this year and they can make an impact next season for the Cavs.

McClain - maybe made the biggest splash as far as new coaches go by bringing in Michael Noszka from St. Xavier/Wilmington. I’m not sure how much talent they have, but if he’s given time, then they’ll be back competing for league and tournament championships sooner rather than later.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:59 pm I’ll give a quick SVC rundown on what teams should have returning or known transfers

Adena - Ater might be the best scorer in the SVC, Smith is a good lead guard and King can shoot it. They won’t have much depth, but should be competitive on most league nights due to those three players.

Huntington - Going to be another long year, but having Coach Uhrig back could get some more kids out and bring some needed energy back into the program. Kellough can really shoot it and if Jordan is healthy, he can give them some good minutes in the front court. I’m guessing they’ll start a young lineup, but they do have some good young talent, even with the transfers out.

Paint Valley - the bump up to D3 is a killer for the Bearcats, but Robertson and Free are a nice duo in the SVC. Those are the only kids back from a season ago and they won’t have a whole lot of additional support.

Piketon - PG transferred out, but they have the majority of their rotation back from last season. Davis and McGuire are both solid pieces that should help elevate the Redstreaks back into the top half of the league.

Southeastern - will be about as small as a Southeastern team has ever been, but they will have a bunch of kids who can pressure the ball defensively and shoot it. Rebounding will be an issue, but I like Smith and Williams in the backcourt.

Unioto - should be the favorite as they return all 5 starters and 8 of their 9 rotation players. KB Perkins was outstanding a season ago, the Blake’s (Fitch, Hoops) will be a tough combo to beat and Schobelock is my sleeper pick for POY in the league. Coach Easterday returning after a year off should only help the Shermans as well.

Westfall - Circleville’s Joe Wray transferred in, which will help fill the biggest void for the Mustangs, at PG. Clark is a great shooter, Gall a nice defender and Layton/Barnes are solid inside. I think they finish in the top 3.

Zane Trace - return two Jarrell’s (LJ, Brock) and a Robinson from last season’s district runner up. They graduated a ton of size and scoring, but those kids have won at every level, so they won’t be intimidated by new roles. Should finish in the top half of the league.
I believe the Ater kid from Adena transferred to Miami Trace.

Go Blue
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Whs95fan wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:32 am
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:59 pm I’ll give a quick SVC rundown on what teams should have returning or known transfers

Hadn’t heard that. There were rumors on here last year that he was going to Huntington too. Would be wild to see an Ater leave Adena, but stranger things have happened.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:24 pm

Hadn’t heard that. There were rumors on here last year that he was going to Huntington too. Would be wild to see an Ater leave Adena, but stranger things have happened.
Here's the article from over the summer that has him playing for Trace.
https://www.mariettatimes.com/sports/20 ... -shootout/

Go Blue
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Whs95fan wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:11 pm

Thanks! That will make MT very strong and Adena very much on the other end

Also, that’s awesome to see summer basketball get some press

TrueFan
JV Team

Post by TrueFan »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:04 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:11 pm

Thanks! That will make MT very strong and Adena very much on the other end

Also, that’s awesome to see summer basketball get some press
Lots of rumors as to what went down, but sounds like someone at MT "blocked"/didn't accept the transfer after Ater had been working out with the team all summer long, fully intending to transfer to MT.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Quite a story about an outstanding young man who has worked to earn a scholarship at an elite D2 college basketball program.

https://www.mariettatimes.com/sports/20 ... asketball/

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hookshot wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:22 am Quite a story about an outstanding young man who has worked to earn a scholarship at an elite D2 college basketball program.

https://www.mariettatimes.com/sports/20 ... asketball/
... great stuff - 6-8! the Tigers will be a force in SEOhio hoops again this season ... congratulations to Alex for making his decision on where he will play at the next level wishing him the best this his senior campaign ! - pfloyd

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great rundowns from the SVC daniC ! thank you! great to see your input again !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... yesssssssss! it's getting real, getting closer to that 12/1/23 opening night tip off! just watched the Western @ Waterford scrimmage AFTER watching the Warren @ Miami Trace scrimmage !!! gotta love it ... Western lacks size but gets after you defensively with Janes & Haggy providing the offense ... needing that 3rd scorer - looking forward to see who takes on the roles as the preseason moves forward Tyler Kerns stepping up to run the point and applying pressure all 94 ft. ... Miami Trace/Warren ... 2 of the best TEAMS in SEO ... MT has lots of size, can go inside with the bigs, has perimeter shooters ... Warren IS Warren - defense, has its own size ... varsity experience throughout their 9-10 man rotation with little drop off ... jr. guard Julian Stadelman is special ... the Warriors get out in transition with the best of them AND finish ... saw more 3 point shooters than last year for Coach Maddox's boys ... if WHS can get consistent 3 point scoring from 2-3 players to go with their inside game & defense - could be a special season AND to think there is ONLY 1 senior on the team ! ... both played solid, looked tight score wise over the 6 or so 10 minutes quarters ... going to see MT @ Unioto on December 2nd THAT should be a good one!!! ...

Meech
Waterboy

Post by Meech »

Warren/Miami Trace, two great teams with high expectations. Taylor and Stadleman are a force, surrounded by good shooters (Barry and Sealey) and Stadleman can light it up. Lupardus and Cressey are good players as well. Love their toughness and know they will rebound and defend.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:57 pm ... yesssssssss! it's getting real, getting closer to that 12/1/23 opening night tip off! just watched the Western @ Waterford scrimmage AFTER watching the Warren @ Miami Trace scrimmage !!! gotta love it ... Western lacks size but gets after you defensively with Janes & Haggy providing the offense ... needing that 3rd scorer - looking forward to see who takes on the roles as the preseason moves forward Tyler Kerns stepping up to run the point and applying pressure all 94 ft. ... Miami Trace/Warren ... 2 of the best TEAMS in SEO ... MT has lots of size, can go inside with the bigs, has perimeter shooters ... Warren IS Warren - defense, has its own size ... varsity experience throughout their 9-10 man rotation with little drop off ... jr. guard Julian Stadelman is special ... the Warriors get out in transition with the best of them AND finish ... saw more 3 point shooters than last year for Coach Maddox's boys ... if WHS can get consistent 3 point scoring from 2-3 players to go with their inside game & defense - could be a special season AND to think there is ONLY 1 senior on the team ! ... both played solid, looked tight score wise over the 6 or so 10 minutes quarters ... going to see MT @ Unioto on December 2nd THAT should be a good one!!! ...
Caught a few highlights of the Warren Miami Trace scrimmage and I would be shocked if they both aren't top 5 in SEO. Excited to get the season underway Pfloyd.

Go Blue
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto and Logan Elm scrimmaged on Tuesday at LE, splitting the 6 quarters and I believe finishing in a dead heat.

They split the first two quarters, before the Shermans took the next two comfortably and then the Braves did the same on the last two.

The Tanks were down sophomore PG Blake Fitch as he was nursing an injury. Good scrimmage for both teams to get started on the season.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

The Peake scrimmage Oak Hill this evening and played 8 quarters , varsity 5 and jv 3. JV ran away with their time as OH never scored until last few seconds of second quarter.
Varsity only had one close quarter as the Peake was running and playing great defense which caused numerous turnovers. Peake has returning Maynard, Cox and Oldaker the seniors and the big man Skeens , a junior along with Edens, and Plantz plus the sophomores Thacker, Harris and Phillips who play a lot of minutes last year, add Maddox the freshman Coach Ater has 10 guys he can switch in and out. Should be fun to watch this year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

peake71 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:45 pm The Peake scrimmage Oak Hill this evening and played 8 quarters , varsity 5 and jv 3. JV ran away with their time as OH never scored until last few seconds of second quarter.
Varsity only had one close quarter as the Peake was running and playing great defense which caused numerous turnovers. Peake has returning Maynard, Cox and Oldaker the seniors and the big man Skeens , a junior along with Edens, and Plantz plus the sophomores Thacker, Harris and Phillips who play a lot of minutes last year, add Maddox the freshman Coach Ater has 10 guys he can switch in and out. Should be fun to watch this year.
... peake71, when I looked at what the Panthers had last season, what they had returning this season - I saw NOTHING but POSITIVES ... a solid TEAM at BOTH ends of the floor ... when you have a PG like Maynard who has been running the show seemingly forever! good things are going to happen ... Cox, Oldaker & Skeens/Thacker ( I was impressed with Thacker as a freshman LAST year - he will be that much better this season) ... the Peake can play with anyone imo ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto and Fairfield Union scrimmaged on Wednesday at Unioto, with the Shermans taking 4 of the 6 quarters. Each team took a one point quarter and a sizeable win in a quarter as well.

Redding and Schmelzer are going to be a tough tandem for the Falcons and they had several guys who could knock down shots as well.

You could tell the difference in the rims at LE’s new gym and Unioto’s lol. Way more made shots tonight than last night with similar amounts of being open.

Unioto looked better overall, still missing their PG, but Cutright did a nice job tonight. 5-6 kids knocking down outside shots can make them very difficult to guard and that happened a good bit tonight.

Return to “Boys Basketball”